The Official Yardbirds Thread

Excellent!

Let`s start with Train kept a Rollin`...my favorite song. There was a live recording of that song with Jimmy Page doing the intro with the riff of Dazed and Confused...then going on to TKAR.

I`d be nice to find that again, I had in in a cassette tape which is now long gone.

That's not the same as Five Live Yardbirds, the album I had. (Baffled smilie doesn't seem to be working tonight.) But I loved the band, especially the "most blues-wailing Yardbirds" of their early years, though that wasn't the incarnation I saw. But the later more psychedelic Yardbirds were cool too!

That's not the same as Five Live Yardbirds, the album I had. (Baffled smilie doesn't seem to be working tonight.) But I loved the band, especially the "most blues-wailing Yardbirds" of their early years, though that wasn't the incarnation I saw. But the later more psychedelic Yardbirds were cool too!

I know. Five Live Yardbirds is still available on Rhino. Don't know about the Live Yardbirds - can't seem to find it anywhere. I like them bluesy and psychedelic. Then there is a version, somewhere of, "For Your Love" played on sitar.

The vinyl of 'Live Yardbirds with Jimmy Page' is very rare, at least the original color cover issue from '71. It was later re-released in about '76 with a black and white cover..it too was rare and quickly withdrawn from the market.

In 2000, Moreland St. records released it on cd...a remastered version with a couple of cuts from the soundcheck too. This sold out very fast....but you can get it in a trade....if you don't mind copies.

Good luck finding the original record...if you do expect to pay about $100 for it.

Thanks. I will prowl around some used music stores and see what I can find - vinyl or CD.

Any self-respecting Yardbirds or Jimmy Page should have a copy of Greg Russo's book

'Yardbirds, The Ultimate Rave-Up', 3rd edition. Not only did Greg have unfettered

access to the surviving members and their family members but a certain member of this board contributed to the book's concert chronology, so it contains THE single most comprehensive listing of Page's pre-Zeppelin live performances ever published.

:thanku:

Edited by SteveAJones

• 3 years later...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ you did mate :slapface:

Anyway "The Yardbirds" could possibly be the most important band of the 60's ?? The short lived Beck/Page duo had some good moments and wouldn't it be great if Page/Beck reunited with them for a gig or too, they are still going are they not with a diff guitarist.

I have "Roger the Engineer" album with a couple of Page/Beck tracks on there.

IIRC, was'nt the famous Anderson Theater show (semi-) "officially" released....and very quickly shelved right after the breakup of the Yardbirds because it contained tunes Page wanted to save for the future band.

I thought Page had it recalled because of the dubbed in audience noise which was taken from a sound effects record. I found a copy back in the 70s in the budget bin at Woolworth's.

510XpfXaM8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Any thoughts on this two disc collection? I have plenty of vintage Yardbirds on vinyl but none on CD so this record looks like it might be a nice way to fill that gap.

A couple of years after this thread was started my husband and I bought Cumular Limit. I actually play this now more than my other Yardies albums/CDs. As I wrote somewhere else, "not only do I love all the tracks, throughout I can hear glimmers of the magic that Jimmy would bring to LZ - his playing on some of the pieces (for example, Spanish Blood) is off this planet".

A couple of years after this thread was started my husband and I bought Cumular Limit. I actually play this now more than my other Yardies albums/CDs. As I wrote somewhere else, "not only do I love all the tracks, throughout I can hear glimmers of the magic that Jimmy would bring to LZ - his playing on some of the pieces (for example, Spanish Blood) is off this planet".

Any particular songs you can hear ?? or what would turn into a zep masterpiece ??

Any particular songs you can hear ?? or what would turn into a zep masterpiece ??

Hi Leddy, well, of course, the obvious - an early version of Dazed and Confused. And, White Summer. But beyond those, I especially loved Pagey's playing on Avron Knows and his bowing of his guitar on I'm a Man. His flamenco acoustic guitar playing on Spanish Blood is beautiful.

• 4 months later...

I thought Page had it recalled because of the dubbed in audience noise which was taken from a sound effects record. I found a copy back in the 70s in the budget bin at Woolworth's.

510XpfXaM8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Any thoughts on this two disc collection? I have plenty of vintage Yardbirds on vinyl but none on CD so this record looks like it might be a nice way to fill that gap.

I have this CD set and it is a good representation of all three "eras".

• 2 weeks later...