pink floyd

caroselambra~

• 2 months later...

A new drama from legendary playwright Sir Tom Stoppard, to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Pink Floyd's The Dark Side Of The Moon. The album topped the charts on its release in 1973, and it remained in the charts for 741 weeks from 1973 to 1988. With an estimated 50 million copies sold it is the band's most commercially successful work and is frequently ranked as one of the greatest albums of all time.

Sir Tom Stoppard was first approached with the suggestion of writing a play based on the album by a friend in 1973. Now, 40 years later, he's created a fantastical story about fear, philosophy and madness, which is woven together with the original music. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b038xr3n

Edited by luvlz2

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

this might make me v unpopular unsure.gif

does anyone else, other than me, think pink floyd are probably the most overrated band in the world?

listening to their albums from 68 through to the final cut (i dont count the ones without roger waters as they are completely dire) it strikes me there are only 3 good ones out of the whole bunch.

their early ones are just a lot of un-melodic noise and the later ones (the wall side 4 on vinyl and the final cut) just a weak attempt at some kind of brass band opera style pomp.

dark side of the moon is good BUT not that good, wish you were here and the first 3 sides of the wall are probably the only good stuff they ever released.

it amazes me how they are consistently put up there with Zeppelin as one of the greatest bands in history.

just listening to their drummer is enough to put you off

anyone got any thoughts on this?

For a while, Pink Floyd were my Favorite band ever.

Pink Floyd have always been about the meaning and Understanding of life around us. Their music isn't just Music to listen to - It's a critique of the Human race, from the Selfish nature of War, to digging deep into life around us, and the elements of what makes us human.

Pink Floyd is more about Music, to understand Pink Floyd, is to Understand Humanity and it's best and worst elements. Whether it be about Education, greed, selfishness, anger, sadness, Isolation, Mentality or desperateness, Pink Floyd helps us Cope and Understand what causes these probelms and issues in society.

For a while, Pink Floyd were my Favorite band ever.

Pink Floyd have always been about the meaning and Understanding of life around us. Their music isn't just Music to listen to - It's a critique of the Human race, from the Selfish nature of War, to digging deep into life around us, and the elements of what makes us human.

Pink Floyd is more about Music, to understand Pink Floyd, is to Understand Humanity and it's best and worst elements. Whether it be about Education, greed, selfishness, anger, sadness, Isolation, Mentality or desperateness, Pink Floyd helps us Cope and Understand what causes these probelms and issues in society.

Oh please, the lyrics aren't deep or meaningful. "Money...its a gas!"...lol.

You gotta admit that The Pink Floyd are a curious lot. They have about 5 of the most brilliant tunes (Money, Comfortably Numb, Us and Them, Time, Another Brick in the Wall Pt 2) you could ever conjure up but the rest of it is almost laughable or filler. Its like Space Aliens landed, did those 5 songs, and took off again. Waters and Gilmour's solo careers are complete write-offs as well.

I just cant stand the tenor sax and the constant bellering of those women in their tracks.

That said, those 5 songs of Pink Floyd blow Zeppelin out of the sky. Sorry Jimmy, but Gilmours solos in Comfortably Numb clean house.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh please, the lyrics aren't deep or meaningful. "Money...its a gas!"...lol.

You gotta admit that The Pink Floyd are a curious lot. They have about 5 of the most brilliant tunes (Money, Comfortably Numb, Us and Them, Time, Another Brick in the Wall Pt 2) you could ever conjure up but the rest of it is almost laughable or filler. Its like Space Aliens landed, did those 5 songs, and took off again. Waters and Gilmour's solo careers are complete write-offs as well.

I just cant stand the tenor sax and the constant bellering of those women in their tracks.

That said, those 5 songs of Pink Floyd blow Zeppelin out of the sky. Sorry Jimmy, but Gilmours solos in Comfortably Numb clean house.

I think you'll find Roger Waters solo career has been a success, ever tried getting a ticket for his concerts?

I think you'll find Roger Waters solo career has been a success, ever tried getting a ticket for his concerts?

Thing is, why is Waters' solo career a 'success'? Because he's made a career out of living off his past Pink Floyd glories, to the point of actually advertising his shows as "The Genius Behind Pink Floyd". Ya gotta admit, that's pretty goddamn arrogant, even if does indeed sell yea tickets. Hell, you could even say that, with the recent Wall tours Roger completely sold out his integrity as to what The Wall was all about in the first place (you know, how it wasn't intended to be performed live on a massive scale like the previous three Floyd LPs were). Back in the 80's the only real reason David Gilmour started the Floyd back up again after Waters quit was because as "David Gilmour" he could barely fill small theatres, never mind arenas or football stadiums. Hell, Gilmour's last tour for On An Island was mainly theatres and he even had Richard Wright in the band! I can guarantee you if Roger Waters did a tour where he didn't play one Pink Floyd song he'd have the same problem. Shit, Roger was having problems getting bums on seats on the Pros And Cons tour once Clapton bailed out and the KAOS tours, even though he performed a smattering of Floyd tunes.

I suppose the irony is that these guys really don't give a shit about making money...most of what they make from touring -no matter how big or small the venue- gets donated to various charities anyway. Which is pretty noble, especially when you consider it was mainly David Gilmour who kept Syd Barrett afloat financially all those years.

Gilmour for all intents and purposes has retired (in spite of persistent rumours that he has another solo album on the go). What Roger Waters needs to do at this late date is what the diehard fans have wanted him to do for the last twenty two years now: get off his ass, stop living off his past for a change and do a brand new solo project that isn't a fucking opera based on the French Revolution. It is depressing to think that Amused To Death -one of the best things Roger ever did, including the Floyd IMO- came out in 1992.

Thing is, why is Waters' solo career a 'success'? Because he's made a career out of living off his past Pink Floyd glories, to the point of actually advertising his shows as "The Genius Behind Pink Floyd". Ya gotta admit, that's pretty goddamn arrogant, even if does indeed sell yea tickets. Hell, you could even say that, with the recent Wall tours Roger completely sold out his integrity as to what The Wall was all about in the first place (you know, how it wasn't intended to be performed live on a massive scale like the previous three Floyd LPs were). Back in the 80's the only real reason David Gilmour started the Floyd back up again after Waters quit was because as "David Gilmour" he could barely fill small theatres, never mind arenas or football stadiums. Hell, Gilmour's last tour for On An Island was mainly theatres and he even had Richard Wright in the band! I can guarantee you if Roger Waters did a tour where he didn't play one Pink Floyd song he'd have the same problem. Shit, Roger was having problems getting bums on seats on the Pros And Cons tour once Clapton bailed out and the KAOS tours, even though he performed a smattering of Floyd tunes.

I suppose the irony is that these guys really don't give a shit about making money...most of what they make from touring -no matter how big or small the venue- gets donated to various charities anyway. Which is pretty noble, especially when you consider it was mainly David Gilmour who kept Syd Barrett afloat financially all those years.

Gilmour for all intents and purposes has retired (in spite of persistent rumours that he has another solo album on the go). What Roger Waters needs to do at this late date is what the diehard fans have wanted him to do for the last twenty two years now: get off his ass, stop living off his past for a change and do a brand new solo project that isn't a fucking opera based on the French Revolution. It is depressing to think that Amused To Death -one of the best things Roger ever did, including the Floyd IMO- came out in 1992.

Some good points there - excellent post.

• 5 months later...
It looks as though Roger Waters and Nick Mason are reuniting for Pink Floyd's 50th Anniversary. Dag on! That's before my time! :D So is this thread by the last post of it. My Goodness! Isn't there anymore love for Pink Floyd? Awesome band! Still I wish Gilmour would join them. http://www.antimusic.com/news/15/May/29Pink_Floyd_Members_Reunite_For_50th_Anniversary_Event.shtml And it's been a wish of mine if JPJ could fill for Rick Wright. What's Jonesy doing these days?

It looks as though Roger Waters and Nick Mason are reuniting for Pink Floyd's 50th Anniversary. Dag on! That's before my time! :D So is this thread by the last post of it. My Goodness! Isn't there anymore love for Pink Floyd? Awesome band! Still I wish Gilmour would join them. http://www.antimusic.com/news/15/May/29Pink_Floyd_Members_Reunite_For_50th_Anniversary_Event.shtml And it's been a wish of mine if JPJ could fill for Rick Wright. What's Jonesy doing these days?

I like how they use the term "reunited" like that. All they did was meet up to receive a little plaque. If all three of them played together again, then they would "reunite."

Personally I don't think JPJ would fit in with Gilmour/Mason/Rogers. JPJ is phenomenal in his own right and I couldn't see him taking Rick's place.

• 9 months later...

Pink Floyd was a very progressive band.  They excelled with making conceptual songs/albums, very atmospheric abstract-ish material.  Their stuff has been beautiful, bizarre, comical and haunting in equal parts.  I admire both their talent and the tenacity they had to be different than most mainstream bands.