John or Jason Bonham?

I'm not a fan of what Brian and Roger are doing with the Queen name. However, I would definitely love to see Roger and Brian out together performing the Queen numbers they wrote and sang, many of which haven't had an airing in years. Mixing these, with solo stuff they have done over the years would, imo, make a fantastic gig. Doubt if it will ever happen though :(

Sorry.

How I worded my post didn't come across right..

By "not Queen numbers" I meant numbers as far as album sales and tickets.

They should be playing Queen songs.

I completely agree with your reply

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have the Celebration Disc set wit the dvd and Blue Ray disc. after bseeing te progression of LZ through the ages and what bands did them credit, I think the inclusion of Jason to honour his father did a marvelous job of fitting in with the other band members. He is the credit to the band by playing very close to his dad's style.

Hey, a hologram of Bonzo playing would be a great idea. Maybe they could play Custard Pie, and have a clown run onstage and push a real custard pie into JPJ's face just to complete the effect?

To be serious for a moment, I think the Who's Quadrophenia production, incorporating footage of Moon and the Ox at specific points, is the way to do it.

I seem to remember Pete Townshend mentioning (in the mid 70's, when they were just getting into lasers) the idea of projected moving holograms being developed.

The end result being, I suppose, the band 'playing' on your coffee table or whatever!

It sounded totally mad at the time, but considering how far technology has come in the intervening 40-odd years, I wonder if this concept is so far fetched?

Is this, in effect, what they did with Tupac?

Hey, a hologram of Bonzo playing would be a great idea. Maybe they could play Custard Pie, and have a clown run onstage and push a real custard pie into JPJ's face just to complete the effect?

To be serious for a moment,

I laughed so hard just now that my dog lifted his head off the floor just now and stared at me before putting his head back down. Thanks for giving me a grin

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Alot of people have been buzzing about animated musician holograms or whatever. There has already be a thread about it on this board:

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/17591-even-if-you-dont-like-rap-this-is-certifiably-badass/

This brought up an interesting thought here:

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/the-big-question-are-holograms-the-future-of-rock/

So say the reunion was going to happen this year instead of 2007 or that they did another show or whatever scenario you prefer. Would you rather see Led Zeppelin play with Jason Bonham on drums or a hologram of John Bonham.

From Blabbermouth

JASON BONHAM: 'My Dream Is To Do The Hologram Drum Solo With Dad Next To Me' - July 14, 2013
John Parks of Legendary Rock Interviews recently conducted an interview with Jason Bonham, son of legendary LED ZEPPELINdrummer John Bonham. An excerpts from the chat follows below.

Legendary Rock Interviews: You've said before that your current touring band, JASON BONHAM'S LED ZEPPELIN EXPERIENCE, was in part inspired by the LED ZEPPELIN show at O2 Arena. How so?

Jason: It was, but there was also a considerable amount of time between when the actual concert took place in '07 and when the"Celebration Day" CD/DVD was released late last year where I gave it lot of thought. I really started considering it but I was of two minds. At first, I thought I would really just leave playing those songs with those guys at that and I was really worried about what people would think — not critics, but fans in general. I gave it a tremendous amount of thought, and it was a couple of years before I actually took it out on the road and it was well-received. Then, when the actual O2 concert was finally released, I would have never imagined that I would still be playing the material and doing the shows, but it's still doing well. I think the DVD of "Celebration Day" helped, though, people seeing me performing with John Paul [Jones], Jimmy [Page] and Robert[Plant]. It's definitely helped with people coming out to the shows. I think if you were a non-believer before, I feel confident that my performance on that show was me giving my best at that time. I think that my performances with LED ZEPPELIN got better with each performance and I think that our performances as LED ZEPPELIN EXPERIENCE have also gotten better with each show. The more relaxed we play, the better it sounds.

Legendary Rock Interviews: There is a lot going on visually during these shows. I don't wanna give it all away, but how much fun is it for you to work with the show elements of the LED ZEPPELIN EXPERIENCE tour?

Jason: It's been fun, and it's important to me to have something in addition to the music; that was the whole point of it. When I first started doing this, I was working with some of the people behind some of the biggest tribute tours like THE PINK FLOYD EXPERIENCE, THE BEATLES and now I'm doing it. It's imperative that I continue putting together the best shows and take it to the next level. I'm talking to people about holograms, and my dream is to do the hologram drum solo with dad next to me.

Legendary Rock Interviews: Holy shit.

Jason: [laughs] Yeah, so…. That is my goal, my dream and we're just trying to figure out everything that we can do with this show. There's so much more that I would love to do, but obviously, I am limited somewhat as far as the footage that I have and the qualityicon1.png of the footage. These guys were operating in the 1970s, and it's not at all like it is today where everybody can record everything with a phone or digital camera. Back in those days, if you had a camera that could record video, you were well off, and to be able to be proficient enough to edit or work with it or process it and release it was a whole other matter. It wasn't as instant of a thing as it is now. [laughs] I am trying to work with the limited footage I have, to put it together in a way that works and is purposeful. I did not want to go onstage and play LED ZEPPELIN songs; there has to be more than that. I wanted to create a complete experience of what LED ZEPPELIN means to me, growing up around them and being part of it all my life. Believe me, it can also be a hindrance but it has mostly been a pleasure, and if anything, playing their music and performing this show has simply been a pleasure. It's definitely less stressful for me, because I am way less critical of this music, obviously, than I am when writing or recording new material for myself of my band. I am notoriously hard on myself in terms of working on new material and while I am critical of my performance on the LED ZEPPELIN material, I am way more critical of my own stuff. I'm pretty hard on myself.

Legendary Rock Interviews: I think you got some of the best advice in general from Robert Plant when he told you if you're going to do it you need to do it with a big smile on your face.

Jason: Yeah, and just his advice to enjoy playing in general. Even moments before we went onstage at O2, he was telling me, "Remember to enjoy it, Jason, because it will be over before you know it, and no one can ever take that away from you." Sometimes when you play these gigs, shows you've been looking forward to all of your life, you can get caught up in the moment or caught up in the playing and forget to enjoy it. [laughs] It was around my third song in (at the O2 ZEPPELIN show) where I really started to relax and take it all in and it was amazing. It still is. Who wouldn't enjoy playing this music? I'm very lucky, I'm working with some truly great musicians who are passionate about LED ZEPPELIN, as I am and it's fun.

Read the entire interview at Legendary Rock Interviews.

• 1 month later...

Wouldn't it have been awesome if Bill Ward had sat in for the drums? Both Zeppelin and Sabbath were huge 70's bands.

And didn't one of the Zeppelin guys mention once, if there ever was a reunion, the only person who would be able to play to the extent of John, it would be Bill Ward? Or something to that extent.

Ummm...no. I like the Sabs and all, but Jason was THE right person for that show. I don't ever recall any of the Zep members saying that statement about Bill Ward being able to play to John's level. And it seems he can't even stay sober enough to tour with the original Sabs!

Bill Ward's been sober for years, the reason he gave for not participating in the reunion and album, was contractual reasons, not sobriety.

Ummm...no. I like the Sabs and all, but Jason was THE right person for that show. I don't ever recall any of the Zep members saying that statement about Bill Ward being able to play to John's level. And it seems he can't even stay sober enough to tour with the original Sabs!

Yes that is what the reports say, but not because of his sobriety, but because the man had a heart attack, and didn't seem physically fit, he is overweight, and hadn't gotten into shape.

Well...that's the publicly reported reason anyway! Rumor has it that he was physically not up to doing the tour.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My first reaction was that it's creepy as well. In the past we've had Natalie Cole singing along with her Dad on "Unforgettable", Hank Wiliams, Jr. singing along with his on "There's A Tear In My Beer", Johnny Van Zant trading vocals with Ronnie on "Travellin' Man" and more recently The Beach Boys incorporating footage of Carl and Dennis Wilson on their current tour where the surviving members play and sing along with them. Dr. Dre has wisely put the kibosh on the prospect of a full blown Tupac tour.

Don't forget The then surviving Beatles singing to an old John Lennon demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PAXDHd9gkY

Archived