The Vibe of Pressence

McSeven

What is it about Pressence that I don't like. Other than ALS and FYL I could care less about the album as a whole.

Do any of you really like Pressence? It just feel so dark sounding and serrrious, no sense of humor at all.

Whats your take on Pressence?

It's a shame that you don't enjoy this album more, but I gotta say I believe you missed the boat if you don't think there's any humour in its grooves. Royal Orleans anyone??? Perhaps a bit of investigative work on your part and another revisiting of said song will shed some more light...

It's a shame that you don't enjoy this album more, but I gotta say I believe you missed the boat if you don't think there's any humour in its grooves. Royal Orleans anyone??? Perhaps a bit of investigative work on your part and another revisiting of said song will shed some more light...

I will give it a complete listen this week. I find it interesting that Royal Orleans and Candy Store Rock, Hots for nowhere are the only songs by Zep, that have never been given anytype of real attention. RP/JPJ/JP never talk about those songs. When other people talk about Zep. No one ever talks about those songs. Its like they were fillers. Even Hotdog from ITTOD gets more attention.

Mc7

I will give it a complete listen this week. I find it interesting that Royal Orleans and Candy Store Rock, Hots for nowhere are the only songs by Zep, that have never been given anytype of real attention. RP/JPJ/JP never talk about those songs. When other people talk about Zep. No one ever talks about those songs. Its like they were fillers. Even Hotdog from ITTOD gets more attention.

Mc7

I don't think just because they don't talk about them would lessen their attention IMO. Robert has stated Presence is his favorite Zep album so I'd assume he likes them a lot.

It's weird, I think the only song I think the only song Zep really dropped the ball on is "Candy Store Rock". There are other songs I like less by them, but I think they failed at what they set out to do with that number.

Zep were great at rockabilly during there medleys, I think they did it better than their blues based covers in the medleys. It's obvious that Robert & Jimmy were particularly big fans of that sort of music. Everything from "That's All Right Mama" & "Mess Of Blues" by Elvis, "Something Else" & "C'Mon Everybody" by Cochran, "Shakin' All Over" by Johnny Kidd, "Hello Mary Lou" by Ricky Nelson, & "Move It" by Cliff Richard, etc. they really nailed the essence of those songs in performance but they couldn't really write a good one themselves.

"Candy Store Rock" is just bland to me, which is the last way you want to describe a rockabilly song. "Hot Dog" is a better example of the form, at least it has a bounce to it as opposed to a thud. "Candy Store Rock" doesn't make me want to shake my leg like Gene Vincent & that's its' failing.

Presence is just another part of what is, IMHO, the most diverse, rich, and powerful catalog of music ever written and performed by an act of their genre.

I can't pick a favorite, and never really could. That's the beauty of the work... that's why I still never go a day without listening to some part of it....

It's weird, I think the only song I think the only song Zep really dropped the ball on is "Candy Store Rock". There are other songs I like less by them, but I think they failed at what they set out to do with that number.

Zep were great at rockabilly during there medleys, I think they did it better than their blues based covers in the medleys. It's obvious that Robert & Jimmy were particularly big fans of that sort of music. Everything from "That's All Right Mama" & "Mess Of Blues" by Elvis, "Something Else" & "C'Mon Everybody" by Cochran, "Shakin' All Over" by Johnny Kidd, "Hello Mary Lou" by Ricky Nelson, & "Move It" by Cliff Richard, etc. they really nailed the essence of those songs in performance but they couldn't really write a good one themselves.

"Candy Store Rock" is just bland to me, which is the last way you want to describe a rockabilly song. "Hot Dog" is a better example of the form, at least it has a bounce to it as opposed to a thud. "Candy Store Rock" doesn't make me want to shake my leg like Gene Vincent & that's its' failing.

Gotta disagree. Try listening to the album "The Summit" - when CSR comes on , amongst all that work by other bands, it makes you realise just how superior Zeppelin were to them all. Fantastic song, IMHO.

My least favourite Zep album. One of the things I like so much about Led Zep is there range of different styles and all the songs on Presence are electric which kind of bores me. Achilles Last Stand has never been one of favourites, it goes on for too long and kind of bores me. Royal Orleans and Candy Store Rock are pretty ordinary and boring. Tea For One's not bad but sounds like a reworking of Since I've Been Loving You. For Your Life, Nobody's Fault But Mine and Hots On For Nowhere are pretty good though.

Tea For One's not bad but sounds like a reworking of Since I've Been Loving You.

I've always felt that Tea For One is far superior simply because of the passion and angst that emanates from Plant throughout this track. And the band play off this as well. Granted in a studio environment the vocals are usually the last thing added, but here the music echoes the melancholy mood of Robert's vocals so perfectly.

Written during the time following Robert and Maureen's car accident, you can tell that Plant has a lot on his mind and is just pouring his soul out for all to see. It's a rare glimpse inside the man. He's got quite a keen sense of humour and often speaks with tongue planted firmly in cheek... but on this song he shows the raw emotion of a man in deep pain.

This isn't some cock rock posturing... this is the blues played... and sung, the way it was intended to be done; full of despair and total raw emotion...

One of Zeppelin's greater achievements in my opinion...

I've always felt that Tea For One is far superior simply because of the passion and angst that emanates from Plant throughout this track. And the band play off this as well. Granted in a studio environment the vocals are usually the last thing added, but here the music echoes the melancholy mood of Robert's vocals so perfectly.

Written during the time following Robert and Maureen's car accident, you can tell that Plant has a lot on his mind and is just pouring his soul out for all to see. It's a rare glimpse inside the man. He's got quite a keen sense of humour and often speaks with tongue planted firmly in cheek... but on this song he shows the raw emotion of a man in deep pain.

This isn't some cock rock posturing... this is the blues played... and sung, the way it was intended to be done; full of despair and total raw emotion...

I agree with your assessment of the song. You can just hear the pain in Robert's voice. The music amplifies it by just crawling along, like the clock on the wall he refers to, "one minute seems like a lifetime...." I am actually glad they never tried this live (as Zeppelin) because it never would have been captured like that at a gig.

Gotta disagree. Try listening to the album "The Summit" - when CSR comes on , amongst all that work by other bands, it makes you realise just how superior Zeppelin were to them all. Fantastic song, IMHO.

Well you're just dead wrong :P .

Seriously though, "The Summit" is that from the live performance Page & Plant did in France about 10 years ago? I saw a clip of that from youtube & I did think that was great, far better than the performance on "Presence". It was much closer to rockabilliy energy & feel of the Zep live covers of the other artists I mentioned earlier.

• 1 month later...
Right on-sounds great on good stereo as well.The drumming is very crisp,guitar playing phenomenal,truly an underrate gem

yes and its electriiiiic its electric

a bliss of total electricity without acoustic ballads and keyboards unlike in through the out door

but i love both

led zeppelin at their mature and best

This is music that you understand if you are suffering or have suffered - from whatever cause. Songs like "Tea for One" and "For your Life" take the blues to another plane. JP plays his heart out, RP sings his heart out and the subtlety of JPJ and JB intensify the feeling.

It comes straight from the soul. Lazy, sexy, and it ooozes the moment like Zeppelin I did but for completely different reasons. Honest to the core

By far my favourite album. Tough, stripped down genius. Bonzo is just awesome the whole way through, the bass sound is tough and tight as f=ck, the rhythm section swings like a bucket of sh=t on the end of a rope, Page is tight, focused, Plant has gained some gravitas and his voice has started to mature......Just totally sublime from start to finish.

Archived