The Vibe of Pressence

McSeven

What is it about Pressence that I don't like. Other than ALS and FYL I could care less about the album as a whole.

Do any of you really like Pressence? It just feel so dark sounding and serrrious, no sense of humor at all.

Whats your take on Pressence?

What is it about Pressence that I don't like. Dunno! Other than ALS and FYL I could care less about the album as a whole. So what!

Do any of you really like Pressence? Yes! It just feel so dark sounding and serrrious, no sense of humor at all. And thats bad?

Whats your take on Pressence? Way too many ss's.

Great album, very dark, very serious, just the way I like em.

Regards, Danny

Think about the situation the band was in back then and the atmosphere around them, the album was not meant to be humorous. It was meant to be dark, heavy, full of struggle and fury. And I love it like that.

Think about the situation the band was in back then and the atmosphere around them, the album was not meant to be humorous. It was meant to be dark, heavy, full of struggle and fury. And I love it like that.

Well said - that's a lot of what draws me to it as well. It's urgent, dark, intensity. Love it!

Jimmy has said about Presence:

"I think that Presence was a highly underrated record. It was our best in terms of uninterrupted emotion."

Dave Lewis says:

"Long term, Presence was not one of Zeppelin's biggest sellers. It was somewhat overshadowed by the late 1976 release of their movie and soundtrack. It has since become a much underrated part of their catalogue. The basic drums-bass-guitars formula may lack the diversity of previous Zeppelin sets, but in terms of sheer energy, Presence packs a considerable punch, and has emerged as one of their most potent performances.

This album is also a triumph for Jimmy Page. His production and dominant guitar style has an urgency and passion that reflects the troubled period that the group were going through at the time. Presence is Led Zeppelin with their backs against the wall. As Page once put it, "We started screaming in rehearsals and never stopped.'"

Excellent depiction of the vibe: urgency, passion, sheer energy, packing a punch, potent, uninterrupted emotion.

Me on Presence

S t r u n g out and spread thin... it's as if we've been hanging from the last remaining threads of a 4 day drug binge... god only knows that was the situation on For Your Life. As strung out as the album is, it's surprisingly dense. Picture the earth's core, or Paris Hilton. The emotion drips from your speakers like maple syrup oozes out of a spile - no blistering pace (save for Achilles), but a potent, sticky, rich, viscous flow... you are stuck in it... it's upon you from every possible angle in such a direction that you feel pressured, sometimes with teeth gritted and fists clenched to the point of crushing whatever it is you might have been holding... sometimes leaving you badly craving a cigarette (for reference, see good hard sex and/or Candy Store Rock)... sometimes leaving you just downright mentally exhausted. Some people argue against the album because it's not "happy"... well, go buy Houses of the Holy... besides, the mere fact that it's not happy makes me happy. This is the most satisfying Zeppelin album. When it's all said and done and (depending on how nice your turntable is, assuming you even know what one is) the needle returns home and the record coasts to a stop, you're still stuck in the sap. Check fucking plus.

The un-popular songs (Candy Store Rock, Hots On and Royal Orleans) probably feature what is some of Page's most "alive" guitar work, and I can't believe these are so unpopular. There is more raw emotion from Page in this one album than there is on every other album of theirs combined... there's really no need to point out the guitar work on the others.

Achilles Last Stand

For Your Life

Nobody's Fault But Mine

Candy Store Rock

Tea For One

these songs alone make this a kick ass album. For those of you that don't like, I suggest you really take time to listen to these songs. This is not my favourite album, but it is a f**king good album. Yes it is darker, but that is what made Zep s great, each album differs from the last. Music these days (for the most part) sound the same and each artist's subsequent album. For example, I cannot tell which album a particular Nickleback or Blink 182, Sum 41, etc. song came from, as they all sound the same. They are good bands, have great songs, have great success, but lack the diversity of Zep.

I love the rawness of it. Plenty of swagger on it too. Like all of their albums, it is an accurate statement of where the band was at the time. Come to think of it, it was an accurate statement of where I was at the time too

I'm pretty sure that (hey, is that George Best, Ally?!) I read that Robert said he thought Presence was either their best or one of their best, too. It's one of my favorites, certainly. A sort of subtle, sophisticated punch in the guts.

I'm pretty sure that (hey, is that George Best, Ally?!) I read that Robert said he thought Presence was either their best or one of their best, too. It's one of my favorites, certainly. A sort of subtle, sophisticated punch in the guts.

Yeah, that's Georgie Boy. He could be a thread all on his own :D

Good description of the album. That's exactly what it was to me B)

Me on Presence

S t r u n g out and spread thin... it's as if we've been hanging from the last remaining threads of a 4 day drug binge... god only knows that was the situation on For Your Life. As strung out as the album is, it's surprisingly dense. Picture the earth's core, or Paris Hilton. The emotion drips from your speakers like maple syrup oozes out of a spile - no blistering pace (save for Achilles), but a potent, sticky, rich, viscous flow... you are stuck in it... it's upon you from every possible angle in such a direction that you feel pressured, sometimes with teeth gritted and fists clenched to the point of crushing whatever it is you might have been holding... sometimes leaving you badly craving a cigarette (for reference, see good hard sex and/or Candy Store Rock)... sometimes leaving you just downright mentally exhausted. Some people argue against the album because it's not "happy"... well, go buy Houses of the Holy... besides, the mere fact that it's not happy makes me happy. This is the most satisfying Zeppelin album. When it's all said and done and (depending on how nice your turntable is, assuming you even know what one is) the needle returns home and the record coasts to a stop, you're still stuck in the sap. Check fucking plus.

The un-popular songs (Candy Store Rock, Hots On and Royal Orleans) probably feature what is some of Page's most "alive" guitar work, and I can't believe these are so unpopular. There is more raw emotion from Page in this one album than there is on every other album of theirs combined... there's really no need to point out the guitar work on the others.

Raw emotion baby...the only way too go

The vibe of Presence was fueled by the unique mix of drugs, alcohol, band stress, and spontaneity. The recording location, Munich, also helped add to the vibe.

Presence has always been my favorite Zeppelin album. My Mom drove me to the record store the day it was released, and it was my 16th birthday present. It is still in my rotation to this day, and I think "Achilles Last Stand" & "NFBM" rawk as much as anything in their catalog. I don't care how much people say they like early live Zep....If I didn't hear both of these songs at a Zeppelin show I would be very disappointed. I also think "NFBM" was the best tune the band played at the Silverdome.

I can still remember listening to "Achilles" for the first time in my bedroom. All I kept thinking to myelf was, "Where the hell are they going ?'

I LOVE PRESENCE!!!! :) Tied with PG for my fave Zep albums.

And after all---to each their own as they say...music is all about what resonates with YOU!! :) Life would be too boring if we were all clones and liked all the same things.

Sharon

I LOVE PRESENCE!!!! :) Tied with PG for my fave Zep albums.

And after all---to each their own as they say...music is all about what resonates with YOU!! :) Life would be too boring if we were all clones and liked all the same things.

Sharon

:yesnod: That's it - I happen to agree with you that it's my favorite album but because it isn't everyone's doesn't really mean anything except people have different taste. Which does make life more interesting :)

What is it about Pressence that I don't like. Other than ALS and FYL I could care less about the album as a whole.

Do any of you really like Pressence? It just feel so dark sounding and serrrious, no sense of humor at all.

I absolutely LOVE Presence. Probably my 2nd fave Zep album. Its genius, and so stark and unusual - like nothing anyone has done before or since.

My take is that Presence is a fantastic album(Can I still say album? LOL). The darkness and seriousness of it is to me what made it different from all the previous records. It's definitely not as fun and light as their previous endeavors but as they've said, they always recorded and wrote about where they were in a specific moment in time and that's where they were. I say better them than me but we got great music out of it.

I absolutely LOVE Presence. Probably my 2nd fave Zep album. Its genius, and so stark and unusual - like nothing anyone has done before or since.

Hi Knebby

How could you, you of all people, put a number to a preference of a Zep album or song, I never thought I would see the day. :lol:

Now me, i've copied all my Led Zeppelin collection of songs to my computer and made a play list of them all called "LedZeppelin All" this gets played at least once a day sometimes many more.

I've also made a "The Song Remains The Same" Windows Audio File (WAV) of all the songs that make up TSRTS, I did this in Windows Movie Maker that you get free with Windows2000. You add the tracks one after the other in the audio part and save it as a WAV file.

Now I have a file 125mb long and it plays for 2hr 16min 43 sec, the boys should have done this long ago, it only fits on an ipod or memory stick, it wont fit on a CD so please dont ask for a copy, if anyone cant do it and wants too please feel free to PM me and I will guide you throught the process.

Reguards, Danny

Archived