Nostalgia

redrum

:) Definitely on the Schwinn bikes!

Also, flashlight tag; we had about a 12 house territory :)

And how about those pink hair rollers? Either the sponge kind, or the plastic kind. :lol:

Yeah, I remember those silly hair rollers! heh heh They came in blue, too. Dunno why, but when I hear Ol' Blue Eyes sing "It Was A Very Good Year", I think of the blue rollers. Probably cuz of the lyrics: "blue-blooded..." and "with all that perfumed hair". I know, seems stupid. Also reminds me of the ubiquitous "beauty parlors" back then.

I remember we would chop out our sting-rays with 1,2 or even 3 front fork sections. We'd just jam them on and I guess it's remarkable none of us ever got hurt LoL. That was fun.

We did the same - all you needed was a hacksaw, an adjustable wrench, and a few abandoned frames. But to get a hold of a mini-sized front tire, or an extended height "sissy bar" was the key to being the true E-Z Rider...

We did the same - all you needed was a hacksaw, an adjustable wrench, and a few abandoned frames. But to get a hold of a mini-sized front tire, or an extended height "sissy bar" was the key to being the true E-Z Rider...

And a "slick" for a back wheel :D

The Kop

Yep. Though technically that is the 'travelling' Kop as the pic is from Wembley (not Anfield). 1971. But I like the idea of the 'cop' in front of The Kop. :D

Ahh bobbies parading in front of footie terraces. There used to be a well known copper who used to patrol in front of The Kop at Anfield. He had a big white mustache and was nicknamed The Walrus. :)

Edited by Mangani

Ahhh...It's a word I love.....and Hate!!! (Nostalgia Cycle)

What's nostalgic to you?

Remember these?

Clackers!

clackers.jpg

:D

Haha... i had some blue ones... they must be in the attic somewhere, totally forgot about them!

Edited by moffo

Do people still do 'Chinese Burns'?? :blink:

I think we called them "sissy marks". Is that when you let someone rub the living hell out of your forearm ? My friend had one so deep on his arm he was probably scarred for life. Not to be confused with an indian rope burn of course.

Can't forget "Great Shakes". My first exposure to The Who and the Yardbirds, during Saturday morning cartoons no less.

rrrl08.jpg

Yep. Though technically that is the 'travelling' Kop as the pic is from Wembley (not Anfield). 1971. But I like the idea of the 'cop' in front of The Kop. :D

Ahh bobbies parading in front of footie terraces. There used to be a well known copper who used to patrol in front of The Kop at Anfield. He had a big white mustache and was nicknamed The Walrus. :)

I see there is movement afoot in Scotland to bring back partial terraces. Not sure how much ground it's gaining. Have stood on the terraces at the old Ibrox and old Hampden. I should say, was floating

on those old terraces :lol: An experience I'll never forget

I think we called them "sissy marks". Is that when you let someone rub the living hell out of your forearm ? My friend had one so deep on his arm he was probably scarred for life. Not to be confused with an indian rope burn of course.

Can't forget "Great Shakes". My first exposure to The Who and the Yardbirds, during Saturday morning cartoons no less.

rrrl08.jpg

Slightly different, it's when you get someones forearm with both hands, then twist each hand in the opposite direction as hard as you can! :D .... What's an indian rope burn, is that between the legs from climbing a rope??

Edited by moffo

Slightly different, it's when you get someones forearm with both hands, then twist each one in the opposite direction as hard as you can! .

That's what we called an indian rope burn. A sissy mark was made by putting your thumb and index finger together and rubbing it into the top of your friend's fore-arm until they either gave or you drew blood.

Anyone ever make cannons out of cans when you were a kid ? :huh:

tincansmnx2.jpg

My friend's Dad would get pissed because we'd use up all his Ronson lighter fluid. One time we got bored and thought it would be neat to soak the tennis ball first and light it on fire before we launched. It actually stayed lit, but went bouncing down the street under a parked car.....right under the gas tank. As luck would have it, a cop car came down the street and witnessed this whole thing.

Lol....When we were about 9 or 10 we declared war on the mailman. About 6 of us hid on my friend's porch and launched about 20-30 bottle rockets at him through the brick slots. Man was he pissed ! :D

Anyone ever make cannons out of cans when you were a kid ? :huh:

tincansmnx2.jpg

My friend's Dad would get pissed because we'd use up all his Ronson lighter fluid. One time we got bored and thought it would be neat to soak the tennis ball first and light it on fire before we launched. It actually stayed lit, but went bouncing down the street under a parked car.....right under the gas tank. As luck would have it, a cop car came down the street and witnessed this whole thing.

Lol....When we were about 9 or 10 we declared war on the mailman. About 6 of us hid on my friend's porch and launched about 20-30 bottle rockets at him through the brick slots. Man was he pissed ! :D

Thus proving...you really ARE a Detroit boy :lol:

This is the kinda stuff I love...and I have a whole set! I just get pissed when my husband breaks them :(

choppers-2.jpg

pet%20rocks%203.jpg

Our little group of friends went fishing at the boat ramp, walked through the creek at low tide, rode our bikes all over the place, neighboring town pool, or animal store-parrots of the world, the owner, -mark marrone is on martha stewart show all the time. let me tell you, he was just like that to us as kids, would educate us about all the birds and pets, very cool.

Being an animal lover myself, i absolutely love watching him when i catch him! Cool you know him!

For me: roller skating in the neighborhood...going to the swim club in the summer... as i hit my teens, hanging out with the older crowd in the neighborhood (lots of keg parties in the fields)... going to midnight movies (first one i went to was The Song Remains The Same)... and as far as candy goes, i still love Bottle Caps and Fun Dip!

choppers-2.jpg

We sure spent alot of time and energy trying to adapt lawnmower engines to our chopper bicycles. Without access to the right parts like a clutch or welding equipment, it didn't result in much more than a good device for creating permanent leg scars...

At the local golf course I grew up near we were actually encouraged to hunt down and retrieve golf balls from the course to turn into the pro shop. I forget how much we were given for each one but we did earn money for them.

At the local golf course I grew up near we were actually encouraged to hunt down and retrieve golf balls from the course to turn into the pro shop. I forget how much we were given for each one but we did earn money for them.

Back in the 50's at old Kezar Stadium in San Francisco all the kids would scramble after the game ended to pick up the rented seat cushions and we'd get a nickel apiece for them. A nickel would get you a candy bar then. :lol:

Nostalgia eh?

How about standing soccer terraces? I miss the old days. I don't like modern all seater stadiums. :(

kop1971.jpg

I would be totally paranoid to be among a huge crowd like that. :(

I also read the book 'Among The Thugs' about the soccer hooligans. :blink:

It's SLINKY SLINKY the fun and wonderful toy!!

Its a coiled wire that could go up and down stairs. What I remember most is the song for the advertisement.

Yeah-I remember the slinky and the song! They were really fun esp. when they descended the stairs.

Hey, you remember flippin' baseball cards and collecting the coins? What was the game with the coins? I don't recall. Also the stick of gum that came with the cards tasted awful!! Yet, some of my pals liked it. Ick.