The Firm Thread

Does anyone have a translation?huh.gif

I used babelfish.com using german to english, it's not at all perfect (you can still see german words in there), here's the first paragraph,

Which did not give everthing fur to Geruchte around the only three days persisting West German concert jouney of these (still?) Session volume. Only that should fail Hamburg concerts, since allegedly only sixty maps were sold, then again should the whole enterprise only a ski-genuine joke be, and schlieBllch then nothing should run, because the Bassist studio dates had to effullen. Now, they came then nevertheless, those, with leaves said "Altherren" skirt the Rock 'n' Roll, accompanied by Chris Slade at the Schlagzeug (ex Manfred Mann's Earthband) and bassist Tony Franklin, me so far unknown quantity musician, who emerged in the process of the evening as a true superbass man.

Thank you Joerg for sharing!

Edited by luvlz2

• 2 weeks later...

Someone earlier in this long thread ( think it was Steve Jones) asked about the Firm concert in Oklahoma City on May 16, 1986.

I've often seen this show incorrectly listed (even on Jimmy Page's official website) as taking place at the Civic Center Music Hall. It was actually the State Fair Arena.

that night was the first time I had seen any member of Led Zeppelin -- unfortunately I was born too late to ever see the Mighty Zep live. So I was quite unprepared for the force of nature named Tropical Storm Jimmy that was about to hit!

There was a massive thunderstorm that raged on and on -- even by Oklahoma standards, this was a wild one! Blew the power to the arena 3 times during the show. (The third time, during "You've Lost That Loving Feeling", a very irritated Paul uttered "SHIT, Again?" audibly into the mic.) The encores were cut short due to the storm; Jimmy personally apologized to the crowd for this.

The parking lot was chaos after the show; the storm hadn't let up a bit, and you've got several thousand people trying to find their cars in the driving, blinding rain with hailstones pelting down! Unless you had a pair of goggles, you couldn't see shit and would just walk around in circles for an hour searching in vain for your vehicle in a sea of cars! To make matters messier, the parking lot was dirt, so it had turned into a mud pit. Cars sunk into the mud and many got hopelessly stuck. I came home spattered with mud and my white car looked like it had just come from a monster truck pull, lol.

Yep, was a night to remember, allright!:) For many, many reasons.

Good thing I saw them when I did -- the Firm played their last show together about ten days later. I feel blessed to have seen one of their final shows. And in my humble estimation, one of their best!

There was a video bootleg of the OKC show that a friend of mine made on his big-ass bulky 1980s camcorder (heavy as a suitcase full of bricks, that beast was). He gave me a dub that I kept in my collection for several years -- unfortunately it was stolen in a burglary of my home last year, along with most of the Zep/Page collection.:angry:

Luckily there is at least a partial audio bootleg available of that show - guessing but this may be incomplete due to the storm interfering with the soundboard. It was about at that point in the show (right after Jimmy's bow solo) the electrical outages started happening. It's only the first 6 songs, but hey I'm grateful to have any of this wonderful night to replay and re-live again!!

Attached a couple of pics from the OKC `86 concert. Also the front & back cover art of the bootleg CD (incomplete). I still have my tickets around here somewhere...when I eventually find the correct album I have them stored in, will upload & share.

post-17730-0-51775300-1310827282_thumb.j

post-17730-0-42975000-1310827312_thumb.j

post-17730-0-27739700-1310827484_thumb.j

post-17730-0-55268100-1310827929_thumb.j

Edited by SinceIveBeenLovingU

I enjoy reading stuff like that. Well; I don't enjoy reading someone getting their Led Zeppelin stuff ripped off, but I can relate they(thieves got my double splattered vinyl FIRM from the Kongresshalle(that was back in 93 though). I mean a VHS of the Kansas City show is bad enough in itself especially because its so rare, but I hope it wasn't too too damaging to you, I suppose there are plenty of topics on the board about that scenerio, don't want to go off topic. So definitely thanks SinceIveBeenLovingU for sharing and the pictures too, I enjoyed it.

Someone earlier in this long thread ( think it was Steve Jones) asked about the Firm concert in Oklahoma City on May 16, 1986.

I've often seen this show incorrectly listed (even on Jimmy Page's official website) as taking place at the Civic Center Music Hall. It was actually the State Fair Arena.

that night was the first time I had seen any member of Led Zeppelin -- unfortunately I was born too late to ever see the Mighty Zep live. So I was quite unprepared for the force of nature named Tropical Storm Jimmy that was about to hit!

There was a massive thunderstorm that raged on and on -- even by Oklahoma standards, this was a wild one! Blew the power to the arena 3 times during the show. (The third time, during "You've Lost That Loving Feeling", a very irritated Paul uttered "SHIT, Again?" audibly into the mic.) The encores were cut short due to the storm; Jimmy personally apologized to the crowd for this.

The parking lot was chaos after the show; the storm hadn't let up a bit, and you've got several thousand people trying to find their cars in the driving, blinding rain with hailstones pelting down! Unless you had a pair of goggles, you couldn't see shit and would just walk around in circles for an hour searching in vain for your vehicle in a sea of cars! To make matters messier, the parking lot was dirt, so it had turned into a mud pit. Cars sunk into the mud and many got hopelessly stuck. I came home spattered with mud and my white car looked like it had just come from a monster truck pull, lol.

Yep, was a night to remember, allright!:) For many, many reasons.

Good thing I saw them when I did -- the Firm played their last show together about ten days later. I feel blessed to have seen one of their final shows. And in my humble estimation, one of their best!

There was a video bootleg of the OKC show that a friend of mine made on his big-ass bulky 1980s camcorder (heavy as a suitcase full of bricks, that beast was). He gave me a dub that I kept in my collection for several years -- unfortunately it was stolen in a burglary of my home last year, along with most of the Zep/Page collection.:angry:

Luckily there is at least a partial audio bootleg available of that show - guessing but this may be incomplete due to the storm interfering with the soundboard. It was about at that point in the show (right after Jimmy's bow solo) the electrical outages started happening. It's only the first 6 songs, but hey I'm grateful to have any of this wonderful night to replay and re-live again!!

Attached a couple of pics from the OKC `86 concert. Also the front & back cover art of the bootleg CD (incomplete). I still have my tickets around here somewhere...when I eventually find the correct album I have them stored in, will upload & share.

Edited by luvlz2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Probably The Firm's best tune

Hmmm... for you, perhaps. I can think of a couple others off Mean Business that blow that one away... for me, anyway. But the best Firm song? For me, it's this one, and yes, I am aware this video has been uploaded here countless times. The groove just can't be beat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDjRFTIhxnA

TheFirmMarch121985.jpg A Phoenix ticket stub for "The Firm". Quite faded at this point. I 'think' the very top says 'Phoenix New Times' , then it says 'Compton Terrace' , then 'Firebird Lake' , then Tuesday March 12, 1985. Concert was never held there, but was held at the ASU Activities Center.

TheFirmMarch121985.jpg A Phoenix ticket stub for "The Firm". Quite faded at this point. I 'think' the very top says 'Phoenix New Times' , then it says 'Compton Terrace' , then 'Firebird Lake' , then Tuesday March 12, 1985. Concert was never held there, but was held at the ASU Activities Center.

Excellent substantiation that this event was moved from an outdoor venue to an indoor one!

I was just wanted to show the ticket. There is nothing I need to substantialte, it's all in black and white that originally they would be doing outdoor dates, but that would not be the case...I was talking to my best friend about that concert this past weekend and he said he remembered being there at the ASU Activities Center the day they went on sale, that's my best friend's ticket, it's faded, and the ticket has a thn glass plate on it. Have a great day...

Excellent substantiation that this event was moved from an outdoor venue to an indoor one!

Edited by luvlz2

The top says Feyline Presents. Feyline was the promotor for the show. I was thrilled when they moved this to the ASU Activity Center since it is such a smaller, more intimate venue. This was a great show and whenever I have had the pleasure of seeing Jimmy live he has never dissapointed. Great performer!!!

I also have the same ticket stub, but mine is not faded. I used to have the tour shirt I bought at the show but made the mistake of washing it :o Not only did it shrink up like George's penis from the Seinfeld episode, the bottom shrunk uneven so if I wore it I looked like a low-rent street hustler :blink:

Hopefully their marriage lasted longer than The Firm. Robert Plant attended that gig with Carmen...he wept.

I remember reading about that. Plant said something to the effect that when he was watching Page on stage and started crying. His daughter asked him what was wrong and he told her he missed playing with Jimmy so much. Very touching indeed.

For me from a nostalgic point of view it was great and lots of great catchy songs. But a little too much stadium stlye rock for me.

As way of comparison I would say almost the same thing about Plant's music from the 80s, nostalgic, a few catchy tunes, a little too pop for me. I much prefer Plants more recent rootsy reworks of in the mood, etc.

I'm sure most of us would love to hear The Firm revisit their back catalogue with some fresh takes on their old songs. New material would be great, but i don't think it would neccessary to reform for a few fun, filled shows. Im thinking along the lines of what Cream did, but to more intimate size audiences

I would much prefer a rootsy appraoch with some fresh takes on their old catalog and jamming some on blues rock, (maybe rockabiliy, jazz rock fusion, soul,classic rock n roll, acoustic-whatever turns them on). Also i like seeing/hearing Rodgers playing guitar with Page at times as well as rodgers on keys. I think it adds to their versatility. I like the fretless bass a la Jack Bruce.

Now that I'm thinking about it love to hear them play a Hendrix tune (which btw Rodgers seems to like and can sing the heck out of) that included part of third stone from the sun (to get my jazz rock fusion fix) . And if they're willing to touch on covers their associated with how about The Hunter, train kept a rollin..oh yeah

Personally, if they were to reform for a few shows I would like see them play a half dozen or so of their favorite Firm songs with a balance of blues rock, etc. as opposed to a straight nostalgic Firm reunion concert playing only songs by the Firm. I guess I'm saying this because although I might like the Firm from nostalgic point of view I'm not sure I like the Firm material enough to say I would encourage them to play Firm music only concert. Much in the same way I would not encourage Plant to play an 80s only nostalgic concert.

So I guess what I'm saying is I would like them to use the Firm as a catalyst for getting together and then in my mind the concert would be enhanced by a more balanced approach by adding blues rock, rockabilly, classic rock n roll, jazz rock fusion, soul, etc.and for my tastes a Hendrix cover.

As an example, This Firm live track (that i learned was written by Paul Rodgers and released on a solo record and later played on ARMS w/Page) is more the rootsy type of music what I would prefer to hear in addition to a fresh take on some Firm songs, if they were to reform for a few shows like Cream did (please oh please pick a smaller venue... forget the stadiums... capture the intimacy and jam for a few shows with the cameras rolling)

Edited by boggie woogie