The Firm Thread

Page`s Persistence Pays Off On Firm Videotape

September 26, 1986 | By DAVID DODD, Special to the News/Sun-Sentinel (Ft. Lauderdale, FL)

The video cassette Five From the Firm was shelved in June because of a conflict between the production company and Firm guitarist Jimmy Page, who wouldn`t approve of its artwork and program content.

Three months later, Page`s persistence paid off, and the program content and artwork were changed.

The tape is in stores now.

I wonder what was on the original tape that Jimmy didn't like & wanted changed?

I wonder what was on the original tape that Jimmy didn't like & wanted changed?

Me too as the promotional videos were directed by Aubrey Powell (of Hipgnosis), who had worked with Robert & Jimmy for years. Perhaps Atlantic attempted to include live footage to offset the relatively short running time. As to disagreement over the cover I imagine it could've been any number of things.

Edited by SteveAJones

• 1 month later...

Jimmy Page & Paul Rodgers ARMS '83 - audio only

Edit: I still wished these two would do something together again!!!

Gotta disagree there :), I hope they don't, don't get me wrong, live the Firm were a pretty good outfit and I enjoyed seeing them, but on record....there is something not quite right (for me that is), some moments but hey ho :)

Edited by leddy

• 2 weeks later...

I think I saw 2 shows of their first tour.

Me and the audience were not very satisfied.No power & they did not seem to fit together.

A bit sad for this great musicians. JP used his violinbow that he did not use during the last Zeppelin tour.

These two?

Dec 3, 1984 Kongresshalle in Frankfurt

Dec 4, 1984 Theatre im Pfalzbau in Ludwigshafen

I've posted photos in the Photo Forum.

• 3 weeks later...

From the Hammersmith Odeon concert possibly my favorite song was "Full Circle'. The guitar playing towards the end(well,the whole band) is stellar on that song. Can someone remind me where the song is originally from? I'm hoping it will get posted on youtube. Great thread here that brought back memories,

Edited by luvlz2

That's interesting. But not many Firm tracks, although they only released two albums. Like the idea with The Firm songs being a couple of live tracks and the remix version of "Radioactive", which I prefer over the album version. It's really well done.

I saw them in May 1985 in Worcester, Massachusetts and in April 1986 in Boston, Massachusetts. Virginia Wolf opened in Boston. That was the first time I met Jason. He was really cool. :)

Both shows were awesome. I cannot believe that band did not last longer. They were not on the "great" level of Zeppelin, but still were great. Jimmy would not have done anything less than great. Jimmy seemed to be so happy out performing live again. Paul was fabulous. Chris and Tony were a perfect rhythm section for this band. What was great was that no Led Zeppelin or Bad Company music was performed. Only City Sirens. The rest was all The Firm.

I saw them in May 1985 in Worcester, Massachusetts and in April 1986 in Boston, Massachusetts. Virginia Wolf opened in Boston. That was the first time I met Jason. He was really cool. :)

Both shows were awesome. I cannot believe that band did not last longer. They were not on the "great" level of Zeppelin, but still were great. Jimmy would not have done anything less than great. Jimmy seemed to be so happy out performing live again. Paul was fabulous. Chris and Tony were a perfect rhythm section for this band. What was great was that no Led Zeppelin or Bad Company music was performed. Only City Sirens. The rest was all The Firm.

^ ^ ^

May 7 & 8 1985 The Centrum

Apr 1, 1986 Boston Garden

19850505BostonHerald.jpg

Boston Herald, May 5, 1985

Scan courtesy Steve A. Jones Archive

Even the Firm with another line up, this time PR could sing some zep and Free and Bad co numbers, which is what it lacked the first time round, plus Page is no lyricist, so PR could put some lyrics to JPs 'new music' B) and bingo a new Firm album is born.

There I've thought of it all, now just get on with it :D

Somehow I don't think that this lineup would be quite what chimp meant.

I would be greatful to see any pictures from the ASU Activity Center, the venue that I saw The Firm.

^ ^ ^

March 12, 1985

Chandler, AZ Arizona State University - Compton Terrace Amphitheatre

Unfortunately I do not have any photos on file from this performance, but I will pursue them. My notes show the venue was changed to ASU when ticket sales barely passed 5,000. Do you happen to recall what the original venue was to have been? I'm thinking it may have been Desert Sky Pavilion but unsure.

Edited to add: Perhaps it was switched from Compton Terrace Amphitheatre to ASU Activity Center?

Edited by SteveAJones

^ ^ ^

March 12, 1985

Chandler, AZ Arizona State University - Compton Terrace Amphitheatre

Unfortunately I do not have any photos on file from this performance, but I will pursue them. My notes show the venue was changed to ASU when ticket sales barely passed 5,000. Do you happen to recall what the original venue was to have been? I'm thinking it may have been Desert Sky Pavilion but unsure.

Edited to add: Perhaps it was switched from Compton Terrace Amphitheatre to ASU Activity Center?

It was originally to be at "Compton Terrace". Another name for "Compton Terrace" is also "Firebird Raceway", it's where the old "Legend City" used to be out here. It is an outdoor venue. Jimmy Page said they would be doing no outdoor shows,so the venue was changed but the date stayed the same. As far as ASU Steve, ASU has the big outdoor "Sun Devil Stadium" and the smaller indoor "ASU Activity Center" which is where it ended up being. The "ASU Activity Center" is in Tempe, and the "Compton Terrace Firebird Raceway" is in Chandler...

The outdoor "Compton Terrace" was laid to rest in January 2010. Edited by luvlz2

Still to this day I do not understand why this music was not bigger than it was. Since Paul has stated he is taking a break from Bad Company, I would love to see he and Jimmy do something together again.

Thanks for the post Steve.

To me it started with Tony Franklin's playing on the fretless bass. It didn't work for rock and roll. (He seemed to understand that later on when he was part of the trio Blue Murder) Second, Jimmy should have run the show instead of having to bend somewhat to Paul Rodgers. The chemistry, surprisingly, wasn't there. Jimmy was a more of an adlib player (no take was exactly the same)where Paul was very consistent and not prone to adlib. Paul's work with Queen worked much better than with Jimmy. The singer that Jimmy needs is (someone like) Robinson from the Black Crows.

Edited by sixpense