The Firm Thread

Dont get me wrong, I like the Firm, and I also think if they had come out in some other decade they would have more likely had more success. My feeling about their music is the same now as when I first heard it, not bad by a long shot, better than 70% of the stuff that was coming out at the time and still great today, but far from what I would expect from musical giant's like JP, PR and the other two very talented musicians (feel the same way with WIC). I dunno maybe Im selfish. :wall:

Dont get me wrong, I like the Firm, and I also think if they had come out in some other decade they would have more likely had more success. My feeling about their music is the same now as when I first heard it, not bad by a long shot, better than 70% of the stuff that was coming out at the time and still great today, but far from what I would expect from musical giant's like JP, PR and the other two very talented musicians (feel the same way with WIC). I dunno maybe Im selfish. :wall:

I liked it well enough back when it was first released but those two records are something I've never owned on CD and very likely, never will. I have them on vinyl though so if I ever want to transfer them over to iTunes using a USB turntable the option remains to do that. Of course, I will need to purchase a USB turntable first.

Hi Jahfin:-)

I admit, I am a major fan of The Firm. I have the albums and CD's for the house and my car. I know I am out of control. I remember when I first heard that Jimmy was getting together with Paul I literally had chills! I still would LOVE to see these two together ;)

Never say never. I feel fortunate to have run across the 12" remix of "Radioactive" back when I'd given up all hope of ever finding a copy. Like I've said before, I also enjoy hearing The Firm on XM's Deep Tracks channel whenever they break out the odd cut every now and again.

1901518.jpg

Hi Jahfin:-)

I admit, I am a major fan of The Firm. I have the albums and CD's for the house and my car. I know I am out of control. I remember when I first heard that Jimmy was getting together with Paul I literally had chills! I still would LOVE to see these two together ;)

They'll always be special to me - I have such memories of their tours. Jimmy was wonderful, and really dragging himself out of the quicksand.

But truthfully, a bit like you Jahfin, I rarely play their stuff. Must be due a spin! :)

My favorite post Zep stuff from Page is still the Whatever Happened To Jugula? album. Unfortunately, I have only seen him in concert once and that was when I drove to Atlanta in the mid-90s for the Page/Plant show at the Omni on the Unledded tour. I had a chance to see him with the Black Crowes when they played at Walnut Creek in Raleigh on July the 4th weekend back in '99 but I passed it up. I'm still kicking myself in the ass over that one.

Especially enjoyed their first tour in 1985 as Jimmy was on fire and the whole band was really gelling. I thought Mean Business was the better album of the two but the 1986 tour reflected a " wrapping it up" feeling to it. It was still great to see and hear Page play live again.

• 1 month later...

Paul Rodgers was on the VH1's 'That Metal Show' a couple weeks back. Paul described in some candid detail how he and Jimmy Page started The Firm and also described the history on Bad Co's entry onto the Swan Song label. The show is rerun quite often, so catch it the next time around. Interesting stuff.

Paul Rodgers was on the VH1's 'That Metal Show' a couple weeks back. Paul described in some candid detail how he and Jimmy Page started The Firm and also described the history on Bad Co's entry onto the Swan Song label. The show is rerun quite often, so catch it the next time around. Interesting stuff.

I posted this several days ago on the LZ related Video thread. Agree^^, It was great to hear Paul talk about the history with LZ.

http://www.vh1.com/video/that-metal-show/full-episodes/paul-rodgers-buckcherry/1676926/playlist.jhtml

^ Thanks for the post Deb, that was an enjoyable view. I was surprised at Paul Rogers answer........on best guitarist.

Paul's answer was based on his personal time working with each person, - the others answered on their favorite in general...it was entertaining to watch.

Edited by Rock Historian

• 2 weeks later...

This is from a couple days ago but better late than never. This is from the All Things Music Plus page on Facebook:

430184_235031066582308_151694561582626_538927_331686823_n.jpg

ON THIS DATE (26 YEARS AGO)

February 3, 1986 – The Firm Mean Business is released.

# ALL THINGS MUSIC PLUS+ 3.5/5

# Allmusic 2.5/5

Mean Business is an album by The Firm, released by Atlantic Records on 3 February 1986. Repeating the same bluesy formula as the debut album, Mean Business did not achieve the same commercial success.

One of the album's tracks "Live in Peace" was first recorded on Paul Rodgers' first solo album, 1983's Cut Loose. The differences between the two versions was that Chris Slade played the drums slower than the Cut Loose version except for the ending and Jimmy Page added a bluesy guitar solo at the end of the song.

The album's title was intended to have a double meaning: that the music business is a hard one, and that the band was serious about its music ("The Firm mean business"). However, perhaps due to the lukewarm-at-best critical and financial success with which the band met, Jimmy Page and Paul Rodgers decided to disband The Firm within months of this album's release.

The album peaked at #22 on the Billboard's Billboard 200 album chart and #46 on the UK Album Chart, and the single "All The King's Horses" spent four weeks at the top of Billboard's Mainstream Rock Tracks chart.

"Fortune Hunter" was originally co-written by Page and Chris Squire for the aborted XYZ project in 1981. Squire was not credited on The Firm's version and later stated he would have sued for royalties if the album had been a hit, but since it failed he dropped the idea because he saw it as inappropriate at a time he was receiving six-figure yearly income from the sales of 90125.

REVIEW

By Ace Jones, amazon.com (4/5 stars)

For anyone suffering Led Zep (or Bad Co.) withdrawal symptoms in the mid 80s, the Firm wasn't quite the answer, but upon repeated listening - Mean Business is probably Jimmy Page's best post-Zep effort. Punchy yet atmospheric with the bluesy vocals of Paul Rodgers, I do admire how these guys actually tried to produce a pretty serious album - and in spite of less than a stellar response - this album stands the test of time. Page would later play some of these tracks live - "Tear Down the Walls" is particularly nice. And "Fortune Hunter" rocks. A progressive album that is underrated and worth exploring.

TRACKS

Side One

1. Fortune Hunter (Jimmy Page, Paul Rodgers) 5:00

2. Cadillac (Page, Rodgers) 5:57

3. All the King's Horses (Rodgers) 3:16

4. Live in Peace (Rodgers) 5:05

Side Two

1. Tear Down the Walls (Page, Rodgers) 4:43

2. Dreaming (Tony Franklin) 6:00

3. Free to Live (Page, Rodgers) 4:13

4. Spirit of Love (Rodgers) 5:06

When I saw the Firm in Rochester NY I left before the encore to get a glimpse of Jimmy Page in his limo. Of course I was trying everything in my power to try and meet him. The limo pulled out right in front of me and I was waving at him in the back seat and I know for a fact he made eye contact with me. It was the best chance I would ever have to get that close to him other than the concert in 77 in Landover. Plant's concert here was memorable. after Now and Zen. Opening act was Stevie Ray Vaughn. Would be not much longer until he met his untimely fate. Plant did Misty Mountain Hop and I believe that was the only Zep song he did.

A dollar short and a day late but I figured some folks might be interested in reading this entry on the Firm's debut album from the All Things Music Plus page on Facebook.

426836_240574479361300_151694561582626_555104_1211118413_n.jpg

All Things Music Plus

ON THIS DATE (27 YEARS AGO)

February 11, 1985 – The Firm:The Firm is released.

# ALL THINGS MUSIC PLUS+ 4.5/5

# Allmusic 4/5

The Firm is the eponymous debut studio album by British rock band The Firm, released by Atlantic Records on 11 February 1985. Tracks ranged from the epic "Midnight Moonlight" based on a previously unreleased song by Led Zeppelin called "Swan Song", first tinkered with during the Physical Graffiti sessions, to the commercially successful "Radioactive". "Closer" employs a horn section to subtle effect.

The Firm peaked at #17 on the Billboard 200 chart, and reached #15 on the UK Album Chart. The song "Radioactive" topped Billboard's Top Rock Tracks chart for one week.

REVIEW

by Brian Downing, allmusic

Anticipation was quite high when it was announced in 1984 that Paul Rodgers, the past voice of Bad Company, and Jimmy Page, Led Zeppelin's former guitarist, were creating a "supergroup" called the Firm. Page and Rodgers had first tinkered with the idea of an album after their successful collaboration on the ARMS benefit tour for Ronnie Lane in 1983. Based upon the fact that it had been over five years since Page's last band effort, and two years since Rodger's lackluster finale with the original Bad Company, pundits were more than eager to hear what new material the duo would unleash. However, when the band's self-titled debut was actually released in 1985, it received a critical drubbing and was all but ignored by the record-buying public. That's too bad, for the album is quite good and does nothing to taint the sterling reputations of either of its key players. Page and Rodgers were joined on The Firm by veteran drummer Chris Slade and Roy Harper-alum Tony Franklin. Slade's Bonham-esque sledgehammer attack on the skins, coupled with Franklin's fretless basslines, added dimension to Rodgers' smooth vocals and Page's layered guitar textures. Page's tone throughout is very reminiscent of the sound of his overdubs on Coda, as well as the sound he would subsequently employ on 1988's Outrider. Opening track "Closer" cleverly uses a subtle horn section to good effect, while "Someone to Love" represents all the good elements of the band in one number. Rodgers' "Radioactive" was actually a minor hit for the band, its quirkiness overcoming the goofiness of the lyrics. The album's best cut is "Satisfaction Guaranteed," a mid-tempo gem with a snaky and exotic Page riff and a heartfelt vocal performance by Rodgers. The only weak track on the record is the unnecessary cover of the Righteous Brothers' "You've Lost That Loving Feeling," which feels totally out of place. The album-closing "Midnight Moonlight" could have been the Firm's best song, but the underwhelming arrangement and superfluous backing vocals partially destroyed it. The fact that "Midnight Moonlight" was actually an unfinished Led Zeppelin cut entitled "Swansong," left over from the Physical Graffiti sessions, led some to believe that Page had run out of new ideas for the project. While it is true that this album isn't as uniformly excellent as Led Zeppelin's work, it is the best from this short-lived band and turned out to be Page's most consistent effort from the entire decade of the '80s.

TRACKS

Side One

1. Closer (Jimmy Page, Paul Rodgers) 2:52

2. Make or Break (Rodgers) 4:21

3. Someone to Love (Page, Rodgers) 4:55

4. Together (Page, Rodgers) 3:54

5. Radioactive (Rodgers) 2:49

Side Two

1. You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling (Barry Mann, Phil Spector, Cynthia Weil) 4:33

2. Money Can't Buy (Rodgers) 3:35

3. Satisfaction Guaranteed (Page, Rodgers) 4:07

4. Midnight Moonlight (Page, Rodgers) 9:13

Edited by Jahfin

A dollar short and a day late but I figured some folks might be interested in reading this entry on the Firm's debut album from the All Things Music Plus page on Facebook.

426836_240574479361300_151694561582626_555104_1211118413_n.jpg

All Things Music Plus

ON THIS DATE (27 YEARS AGO)

February 11, 1985 – The Firm:The Firm is released.

# ALL THINGS MUSIC PLUS+ 4.5/5

# Allmusic 4/5

The Firm is the eponymous debut studio album by British rock band The Firm, released by Atlantic Records on 11 February 1985. Tracks ranged from the epic "Midnight Moonlight" based on a previously unreleased song by Led Zeppelin called "Swan Song", first tinkered with during the Physical Graffiti sessions, to the commercially successful "Radioactive". "Closer" employs a horn section to subtle effect.

The Firm peaked at #17 on the Billboard 200 chart, and reached #15 on the UK Album Chart. The song "Radioactive" topped Billboard's Top Rock Tracks chart for one week.

REVIEW

by Brian Downing, allmusic

Anticipation was quite high when it was announced in 1984 that Paul Rodgers, the past voice of Bad Company, and Jimmy Page, Led Zeppelin's former guitarist, were creating a "supergroup" called the Firm. Page and Rodgers had first tinkered with the idea of an album after their successful collaboration on the ARMS benefit tour for Ronnie Lane in 1983. Based upon the fact that it had been over five years since Page's last band effort, and two years since Rodger's lackluster finale with the original Bad Company, pundits were more than eager to hear what new material the duo would unleash. However, when the band's self-titled debut was actually released in 1985, it received a critical drubbing and was all but ignored by the record-buying public. That's too bad, for the album is quite good and does nothing to taint the sterling reputations of either of its key players. Page and Rodgers were joined on The Firm by veteran drummer Chris Slade and Roy Harper-alum Tony Franklin. Slade's Bonham-esque sledgehammer attack on the skins, coupled with Franklin's fretless basslines, added dimension to Rodgers' smooth vocals and Page's layered guitar textures. Page's tone throughout is very reminiscent of the sound of his overdubs on Coda, as well as the sound he would subsequently employ on 1988's Outrider. Opening track "Closer" cleverly uses a subtle horn section to good effect, while "Someone to Love" represents all the good elements of the band in one number. Rodgers' "Radioactive" was actually a minor hit for the band, its quirkiness overcoming the goofiness of the lyrics. The album's best cut is "Satisfaction Guaranteed," a mid-tempo gem with a snaky and exotic Page riff and a heartfelt vocal performance by Rodgers. The only weak track on the record is the unnecessary cover of the Righteous Brothers' "You've Lost That Loving Feeling," which feels totally out of place. The album-closing "Midnight Moonlight" could have been the Firm's best song, but the underwhelming arrangement and superfluous backing vocals partially destroyed it. The fact that "Midnight Moonlight" was actually an unfinished Led Zeppelin cut entitled "Swansong," left over from the Physical Graffiti sessions, led some to believe that Page had run out of new ideas for the project. While it is true that this album isn't as uniformly excellent as Led Zeppelin's work, it is the best from this short-lived band and turned out to be Page's most consistent effort from the entire decade of the '80s.

TRACKS

Side One

1. Closer (Jimmy Page, Paul Rodgers) 2:52

2. Make or Break (Rodgers) 4:21

3. Someone to Love (Page, Rodgers) 4:55

4. Together (Page, Rodgers) 3:54

5. Radioactive (Rodgers) 2:49

Side Two

1. You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling (Barry Mann, Phil Spector, Cynthia Weil) 4:33

2. Money Can't Buy (Rodgers) 3:35

3. Satisfaction Guaranteed (Page, Rodgers) 4:07

4. Midnight Moonlight (Page, Rodgers) 9:13

Quite an interesting perspective. I always thought Rogers and Page to be "strange bedfellows" for lack of a better term. The concert was very good. The Now and Zen concert I would have to rank higher. But seeing Page is always worth the price of admission.