The Firm Thread

Hmmm... for you, perhaps. I can think of a couple others off Mean Business that blow that one away... for me, anyway. But the best Firm song? For me, it's this one, and yes, I am aware this video has been uploaded here countless times. The groove just can't be beat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDjRFTIhxnA

This was one of my favorites as well. I learned from Page's website recently that the bartender in the video is none other than Les Paul 'chatting it up with the ladies'.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldnt mind at all if The Firm reunited, not in the least. I loved the effort and I think their work is underappreciated in general. Unfortunatly The Firm had the same problem that RP had/has, and thats putting out material that would almost certainly be compared to Led Zeppelin's by both critics and fans, a tough act to follow to say the least.

But if you can put aside the urge to do that and listen to the music as it was intended I think you'll discover an intriguing assortment of songs that stand well on their own.

^^^^^^I love The Firm. I agree whole heartily that a reunion is in order. The 80's were such a weird time for Jimmy and Robert because the music they wanted to play didn't fit into any existing categories or was popular among the "kids"...such as myself when I was a die hard MTV fan. :bagoverhead:

^^^^^^I love The Firm. I agree whole heartily that a reunion is in order. The 80's were such a weird time for Jimmy and Robert because the music they wanted to play didn't fit into any existing categories or was popular among the "kids"...such as myself when I was a die hard MTV fan. :bagoverhead:

Agreed. Jimmy and Robert were in a rather difficult position in that

1.They were trying to get new projects off the ground, period. that alone can be a chore in any decade IMO.

2. And they were trying to do this in the middle of the "New Wave" and "Hair metal" craze of the time and the type of music these men produce just didnt fit into those schemes (or any scheme for that matter). Therefore a lot of the critics at that time labeled their stuff "outdated" or "rehashed", which of course we know is false. Both Plant and Page went out of their way to make their respective post Zepp projects different from Zeppelin, to the chagrin of many fans I might add lol.

Thankfully there were some Led Zeppelin fans who were DJ's at MTV that helped out and not all of the critics knocked The Firm, just most.

Seriously I would pay money to see The Firm play live again and I would be curious as to what kind of music they would produce after all these years.

Edited by SuperStatic

2. And they were trying to do this in the middle of the "New Wave" and "Hair metal" craze of the time and the type of music these men produce just didnt fit into those schemes (or any scheme for that matter). Therefore a lot of the critics at that time labeled their stuff "outdated" or "rehashed", which of course we know is false. Both Plant and Page went out of their way to make their respective post Zepp projects different from Zeppelin, to the chagrin of many fans I might add lol.

If anything, Plant's material was very telling of the times. If not for the drum machines that were prominent on most of his records during that era, there was also the whole of Shaken Not Stirred. As for rock n' roll going against the grain of the 80s and not getting a very warm reception I give you Stevie Ray Vaughan but he was just the tip of the iceberg.

Yeah I heard Dreaming the other day on Deep Tracks. What a great song and great playing by Jimmy. Wish they would've done more stuff like that, honestly. A very interesting song.

do you know if Dreaming is online to hear in its entirety? I wasn't able to find.

is it possible to post the full Firm records here? For those of us that no longer have them to relive. Regrettably my Firm CDs were sold

as part of a bulk sale a few years ago.

• 1 month later...

i saw the firm on the mean business tour in 1986 it was my first concert. to this day it was one of the best concerts i 've attended. jimmy page was like a chameleon with the firm. he played the most otherworldly solo's you could imagine. i think he was very influenced by eddie van halen and those sort of players and actually recognized that style as an influencial form and approach. he used alot of whammy bar and effects that would have him rival the best of that era. they had many fine guitar players in the 80's. some of the best technically speaking. i read a quote from robert plant that said he went to a firm show and started literally crying because he had never seen him play like that before and also never saw him from that view of the stage-always being on the stage with him. jp is a true master.

i saw the firm on the mean business tour in 1986 it was my first concert. to this day it was one of the best concerts i 've attended. jimmy page was like a chameleon with the firm. he played the most otherworldly solo's you could imagine. i think he was very influenced by eddie van halen and those sort of players and actually recognized that style as an influencial form and approach. he used alot of whammy bar and effects that would have him rival the best of that era. they had many fine guitar players in the 80's. some of the best technically speaking. i read a quote from robert plant that said he went to a firm show and started literally crying because he had never seen him play like that before and also never saw him from that view of the stage-always being on the stage with him. jp is a true master.

i remember reading that same quote from RP. You can sense the emotion in that statement, and it's so true. JP was so versatile in his approach and to what The Firm was doing as well as his awareness of the guitar slingers of the day. I don't think he was trying to emulate any one players style, but a myriad of styles that progressed from the 70's on into the 80's. I think The Firm would have been a little more successful had they come out in a different period. I still think the albums hold up today, for what they are. I have two or three Firm live shows that feature some of his best playing from any era. True master-you said it!