The Firm Thread

You came a long way! I left before the last song to catch Jimmy's limo leaving. The Rochester War Memorial, as many of us will always call it is now renamed the Blue Cross Arena.

I live in Rochester, YES the old days Of the War Memorial, and concerts Presented by John Scher

Didnt see this show I was only 16, and just getting into Zeppelin, got to see Plant at the same venue, opening the American leg of the Now and Zen Tour, saw the Manic Nirvana tour there, and Jimmy's Outrider tour

Great memories

I was so excited to hear about the formation of The Firm and really wanted to see them. As far as I know, they didn't play within reasonable driving distance of Blacksburg though (I was in college at the time and my car was not very reliable). I would be heartbroken if they played in Roanoke and I missed it :(

So far as I know The Firm never performed in the state of Virginia, though my notes indicate a show at the Coliseum in Hampton for April 11, 1985 was at least considered. I believe it was cancelled well before it was ever announced or tickets put on sale but I'm still seeking confirmation of that.

So far as I know The Firm never performed in the state of Virginia, though my notes indicate a show at the Coliseum in Hampton for April 11, 1985 was at least considered. I believe it was cancelled well before it was ever announced or tickets put on sale but I'm still seeking confirmation of that.

Thanks Steve; I'm relieved I didn't miss one. Hampton would've been a stretch (@ 6 hour drive) but doable had it happened.

• 2 weeks later...

19870129RollingStone.jpg

Rolling Stone, January 29, 1987

Scan courtesy Steve A. Jones Archive

Note: According to the 'Orlando Sentinel' (December 21, 1986) Jimmy Page issued a press release announcing he is leaving The Firm to begin a solo album. Perhaps the editor of The Rolling Stone article above was unaware of it.

Edited by SteveAJones

19860327RollingStone.jpg

Rolling Stone, March 27, 1986

Scan courtesy Steve A. Jones Archive

(sarcasm on) What a surprise, Rolling Stone giving a bad review on anything Zeppelin related! (sarcasm off)

I liked the lp when it came out, although there were some filler tracks there, but it showed future promise. Too bad it didn't continue. If they just kept that fretless bass away from Tony...................

• 3 weeks later...

Anything that would get Jimmy back on a stage (with the exception of that 'Peace' concert which hopefully will never happen) :D

Even the Firm with another line up, this time PR could sing some zep and Free and Bad co numbers, which is what it lacked the first time round, plus Page is no lyricist, so PR could put some lyrics to JPs 'new music' B) and bingo a new Firm album is born.

There I've thought of it all, now just get on with it :D

Even the Firm with another line up, this time PR could sing some zep and Free and Bad co numbers, which is what it lacked the first time round, plus Page is no lyricist, so PR could put some lyrics to JPs 'new music' B) and bingo a new Firm album is born.

There I've thought of it all, now just get on with it :D

Agree totally with you, Chimp. I've said several times before on this site that JP needs a lyricist - you only have to listen to the lyrics for 'Tangerine' to realise that lyrics aren't Jimmy's strong point. PR incorporated Free material when he was doing his stint with Queen. It would be great to hear Jimmy playing guitar on both Free and Bad Co numbers because IMO he is a far better guitarist than both bands' own axemen.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still to this day I do not understand why this music was not bigger than it was.

Many found them guilty of producing 70s-era rock in the mid-80s - as one scathing reviewer put it, "more regressive rock from two masters of the form". Others found Jimmy's guitar sound to be too radical of a departure from Led Zeppelin, and The Firm did not tour extensively either, which didn't help sales.

Edited by SteveAJones

Many found them guilty of producing 70s-era rock in the mid-80s - as one scathing reviewer put it, "more regressive rock from two masters of the form". Others found Jimmy's guitar sound to be too radical of a departure from Led Zeppelin, and The Firm did not tour extensively either, which didn't help sales.

I also think it's meaningful that Jimmy talks about having "artistic control in a vice grip" as being something he insisted upon when forming Led Zeppelin. After all, "Produced by Jimmy Page" means just that. I think The Firm showed Jimmy, for the first time since the sixties, NOT having artistic control in a vice grip, and the results had to be a bit of a "compromise" to the ears of many, me included.

This is why in my opinion Walking Into Clarksdale had a similar reaction from many quarters. I've been skeptical about a current Page-Plant union because I really would rather hear something truly "Produced by Jimmy Page" again. I'm patiently rooting for the solo album he keeps teasing us with.

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone has a chance to listen to the alternate mixes of Mean Business they're far superior to the officially released album. Jimmy's guitar is way more upfront in the overall sound and his playing on Spirit of Love is brilliant. The way he stacked his parts on that song is classic Page.

• 4 weeks later...

Page`s Persistence Pays Off On Firm Videotape

September 26, 1986 | By DAVID DODD, Special to the News/Sun-Sentinel (Ft. Lauderdale, FL)

The video cassette Five From the Firm was shelved in June because of a conflict between the production company and Firm guitarist Jimmy Page, who wouldn`t approve of its artwork and program content.

Three months later, Page`s persistence paid off, and the program content and artwork were changed.

The tape is in stores now.

Edited by SteveAJones