The Firm Thread

I still remember to this day listening to the Westwood One broadcast on the radio of the Hammersmith concert, I recorded it, and listened to it a million times, so I have alot of "Firmly" good memories from that. I know that show inside out. I later aquired a Westwood One 4-disc vinyl set of it. Ah,what good memories...:)

Edited by luvlz2

The first time I saw The Firm was on March 7,1985 in Milwaukee. My friend and I were able to get in the arena early and got to see and hear Page doing his own guitar soundcheck with the violin bow and wah-wah. That never would have happened in the Zeppelin era.

It was the 3rd show on that first tour and Jimmy came out storming. The City Sirens solo was incredible. The Firm were really swimming upstream in contrast to whatever else was happening on the music scene at that time. Kajagoogoo anyone?

The first time I saw The Firm was on March 7,1985 in Milwaukee. My friend and I were able to get in the arena early and got to see and hear Page doing his own guitar soundcheck with the violin bow and wah-wah. That never would have happened in the Zeppelin era.

It was the 3rd show on that first tour and Jimmy came out storming. The City Sirens solo was incredible. The Firm were really swimming upstream in contrast to whatever else was happening on the music scene at that time. Kajagoogoo anyone?

There was much more going on in music at the time besides Kajagoogoo. For some reason when people look back at the 80s they tend to only remember what they perceive to have been the worst and artists like Stevie Ray Vaughan (along with tons of others) get left out of the equation. Kajagoogoo were one hit wonders that disappeared from the airwaves just as quickly as they appeared there.

I saw Stevie Ray in 1983 with Albert Collins so I'm aware of the good stuff from that time. I have a lot of good musical memories from that era. But generally speaking, there was a great deal of image pop because of the advent of MTV, and the emphasis on drum machines dehumanized some of the sonic enjoyment for me.

I saw Stevie Ray in 1983 with Albert Collins so I'm aware of the good stuff from that time. I have a lot of good musical memories from that era. But generally speaking, there was a great deal of image pop because of the advent of MTV, and the emphasis on drum machines dehumanized some of the sonic enjoyment for me.

Well said but I didn't let what was popular on MTV cloud my musical vision in the 80s any more than I did with disco in the 70s.

It was originally to be at "Compton Terrace". Another name for "Compton Terrace" is also "Firebird Raceway", it's where the old "Legend City" used to be out here. It is an outdoor venue. Jimmy Page said they would be doing no outdoor shows,so the venue was changed but the date stayed the same. As far as ASU Steve, ASU has the big outdoor "Sun Devil Stadium" and the smaller indoor "ASU Activity Center" which is where it ended up being. The "ASU Activity Center" is in Tempe, and the "Compton Terrace Firebird Raceway" is in Chandler...

Many thanks; I've updated my files. Excellent point concerning it having been an outdoor venue - of which there were none on that tour - and THAT almost certainly having been the actual reason for the change of venue for even if barely 5,000 tickets were sold (as I was told) the capacity of the ASU Activities Center is 13,500.

Many thanks; I've updated my files. Excellent point concerning it having been an outdoor venue - of which there were none on that tour - and THAT almost certainly having been the actual reason for the change of venue

Agreed,and your most welcome. :)

• 1 month later...

I woulld be greatful to see any pictures from the ASU Activity Center, the venue that I saw The Firm.

That was a great show, Jimmy rocked the house!!! Though I was a wee bit dissapointed the double neck was not pulled out for Radioactive. I believe there were techincal difficulties. That was a wacky audience too. I believe just about everyone was seriously wasted and tripping the light fantastic. I was asked at least ten times if I wanted to get blazed, too bad I was still a good boy at the time. I was a late bloomer.

^ ^ ^

March 12, 1985

Chandler, AZ Arizona State University - Compton Terrace Amphitheatre

Unfortunately I do not have any photos on file from this performance, but I will pursue them. My notes show the venue was changed to ASU when ticket sales barely passed 5,000. Do you happen to recall what the original venue was to have been? I'm thinking it may have been Desert Sky Pavilion but unsure.

Edited to add: Perhaps it was switched from Compton Terrace Amphitheatre to ASU Activity Center?

Hi Steve :-) Originally the show was scheduled for Veterans Memorial Colossium in Phoenix but as you said, was moved to ASU Activity Center in Tempe (same place he played with Zeppelin in 77') due to lack of ticket sales. It is a shame the band lost out on the revenue but it was the fans gain in seeing them in a smaller venue. Desert Sky Pavilion did not open until 89' I believe and is now called Cricket Pavilion (corporate lackeys).

It was originally to be at "Compton Terrace". Another name for "Compton Terrace" is also "Firebird Raceway", it's where the old "Legend City" used to be out here. It is an outdoor venue. Jimmy Page said they would be doing no outdoor shows,so the venue was changed but the date stayed the same. As far as ASU Steve, ASU has the big outdoor "Sun Devil Stadium" and the smaller indoor "ASU Activity Center" which is where it ended up being. The "ASU Activity Center" is in Tempe, and the "Compton Terrace Firebird Raceway" is in Chandler...

The outdoor "Compton Terrace" was laid to rest in January 2010.

Woops, you are correct, it was Compton Terrace and not Veterans. Veterans and Compton were the main venues for rock acts in the 80's until Compton went south in the early 90's and Veterans was prohibited from staging major rock concerts to to structural issues. My favorite place to see a concert in the Phoenix area is without a doubt Celebrity Theatre. Only 2,200 seats and in the round. Even a bad seat is better than row eight at any other place. Saw Kenny Loggins there as well as Billy Idol just to name a couple. Was first row both shows and so damn close I scared the band :-)

I woulld be greatful to see any pictures from the ASU Activity Center, the venue that I saw The Firm.

That was a great show, Jimmy rocked the house!!! Though I was a wee bit dissapointed the double neck was not pulled out for Radioactive. I believe there were techincal difficulties. That was a wacky audience too. I believe just about everyone was seriously wasted and tripping the light fantastic. I was asked at least ten times if I wanted to get blazed, too bad I was still a good boy at the time. I was a late bloomer.

You are absolutely right, the place smelled like a reefer factory, and there was a huge obvous reefer cloud above the audience. I remember when they came out at the beginning for the first song, they came out playing, and then before looking at the audience, he looked straight up at the giant reefer cloud,and then the audience just roared in response! Lol! Thanks for sharing your memory of that concert.

Edited by luvlz2

You are absolutely right, the place smelled like a reefer factory, and there was a huge obvous reefer cloud above the audience. I remember when they came out at the beginning for the first song, they came out playing, and then Jimmy looks up at the big reefer cloud, and the audience roared in response! Lol! It was Compton Terrace though, not the Vet's Coliseum that the concert was originally supposed to be at. Thanks for sharing your memory of that concert.

You are 100% correct, the mind gets a bit muddled over the years :D

Curious though the reason being no outside concerts. When I saw him for the Outrider concert in 88' it was at the Mesa Amphitheatre, a great outdoor venue. I remember that show because everything was perfect, idyllic really. I thought it was quite ingenious that a few fans got rooms at the hotel right next door. They were all out on the balconies rocking out and the band was digging it. The versions of Custard Pie and In My Time of Dying brought the house down, so to speak.

Curious though the reason being no outside concerts. When I saw him for the Outrider concert in 88' it was at the Mesa Amphitheatre, a great outdoor venue. I remember that show because everything was perfect, idyllic really. I thought it was quite ingenious that a few fans got rooms at the hotel right next door. They were all out on the balconies rocking out and the band was digging it. The versions of Custard Pie and In My Time of Dying brought the house down, so to speak.

There is a video of this show in circulation that was filmed by those fans on the balcony of that hotel. There's another video professionally recorded by MTV.

• 1 month later...

LOVE that song Deborah! You have been on quite the Paul Rodgers bender lately, haven't you!?! ;)

:lol:

Next to Robert, Paul is my 2nd favorite vocalist. After Zeppelin,I probably listen to anything Paul Rodgers more than anything else. So put these two together and... :yay: