Poison At The Tony Awards

Roxie

I've seen this everywhere this morning.

I'll admit, I wanted to laugh my ass off when I heard about it, but I do feel horrible for him. Talk about embarrassing. Hope he's ok.

I didn't watch the Tony Awards, but this made the music news sites pretty fast last night.

Poor Brett!

I did laugh really hard though, mostly because of the irony since I do something like that daily.

From the end of the performance I saw, I think it's great that Poison remained true to the music they started with. Many bands haven't, i.e. Def Leppard (They will be on the Country Music Awards Cermony) and Bon Jovi. If I am wrong in thinking that, someone correct me.

Poor Brett!

I did laugh really hard though, mostly because of the irony since I do something like that daily.

From the end of the performance I saw, I think it's great that Poison remained true to the music they started with. Many bands haven't, i.e. Def Leppard (They will be on the Country Music Awards Cermony) and Bon Jovi. If I am wrong in thinking that, someone correct me.

I don't think either Def Leppard or Bon Jovi have gone country. If anything, country has more to do with 70s style rock n' roll these days than the other way around. I'm not sure what the deal with Def Leppard is but I know Bon Jovi has done some country/acoustic tinged stuff before as well as working with Sugarland. Bret Michaels also did a country record. Hell, even Darius Rucker and Jewel have released albums aimed at the country market in recent months. Somewhere, Hank Williams, Sr. and Ernest Tubb are rolling over in their graves.

I wasn't aware that Brett Micheals released a country album, I don't really follow him. In my opinion, Bon Jovi has gone to this new form of country music. I know other people agree with me, they may play their older stuff at concerts but if you look at their new catalogue it is very different then the music that they came out with in the 80s. I think that they have just gone with what is popular, but no one has to share my opinion. As for Def Leppard, they did a tour/performances with Taylor Swift. As I said earlier, they are also on the CMT awards show. It is my opinion that they have sold out to what the industry wants. Before someone throws this into my face, I don't believe that Robert Plant sold out because with Raising Sand, he moved into a new place in music as did Alison Krauss. It has always been like Robert to try new music and not worry about what the trend is.

Again this is all my opinion.

I wasn't aware that Brett Micheals released a country album, I don't really follow him. In my opinion, Bon Jovi has gone to this new form of country music. I know other people agree with me, they may play their older stuff at concerts but if you look at their new catalogue it is very different then the music that they came out with in the 80s. I think that they have just gone with what is popular, but no one has to share my opinion. As for Def Leppard, they did a tour/performances with Taylor Swift. As I said earlier, they are also on the CMT awards show. It is my opinion that they have sold out to what the industry wants. Before someone throws this into my face, I don't believe that Robert Plant sold out because with Raising Sand, he moved into a new place in music as did Alison Krauss. It has always been like Robert to try new music and not worry about what the trend is.

Again this is all my opinion.

Exactly and well said lzan715!! A couple of these other artists such as Jon Bon Jovi and Jewel, have delved into country before it was just a "trend". A couple of others, such as Jessica Simpson, I think, suddenly had to release a country album because it seemed to be the thing to do at the time. Now I hear she isn't with the same label that released her album, so it makes me wonder was she really serious about becoming a country artist or just following the trend.

Back to the video clip, poor Bret! I hope he is ok, that looked really painful! :o

I don't feel sorry for this guy. He shouldn't even have been on the Tony Awards. Don't feel sorry for anyone who created one of the worst shows in history in "The rock of Love".

I think some of you have missed the point: what happened was extremely life threatening.

I watched the video, and the guy got CLOCKED. He got hit hard, and hit the ground hard. This could have resulted in some really bad injuries or even death. Dude could have gotten decapitated. I would say he is a very lucky man, and there is really nothing funny about this.

Hey listen, I find it funny too when someone falls down, or there is a strange accident. I have even laughed at myself after falling down really badly. But, this was serious.

I think this is a problem with Americans. They laugh at extreme things like this, make jokes of it etc. This is not entertainment. Someone getting hurt should not be entertainment.

Here is Brett's official statement that he posted on myspace today.

My Official Statement

I am trying to remain very positive and somewhat humorous about the whole situation. I apologize that I did not make a statement earlier as I have been feeling pretty beat up over the last few days. The fact is I was honored to be asked to perform at the event. The entire “Rock of Ages” production were awesome and even though I was completely out of my element I was really enjoying myself prior to my injury. In fact all involved at the awards show treated me good.

I had a great time at the Tonys right up until I got blindsided, I must admit it was a little blurry after that. In hindsight, there is no doubt I got my bell rung, unfortunately it has been posted and perhaps funny to watch, but I can assure you it has been painful to experience. In all honesty I had absolutely no idea what struck my head. Upon impact I thought a piece of the lighting rig had fallen out of the ceiling and as I fell back it seemed like my head struck the stage and I blacked out for a second. When I opened my eyes I noticed a large set prop coming down straight for me. I immediately pushed myself out of the way and amidst the chaos I laid on the floor and asked “what the hell just happened?”

My nose, mouth and the back of my head felt numb. I vaguely remember asking Big John, ‘do I have any teeth left in my mouth?’ I knew I could move my arms and legs and that was an instant relief. Somebody handed me a towel to wipe the blood from my face and in my dazed state I recall staring at what seemed to be Shrek, a talking goat head and several monkey like creatures.

Over the last few days a lot of speculation as to what happened and who is to blame have surfaced. I need to make clear at no point since the incident occurred do I feel like the accident was malicious in any way and I feel this will all work itself out. However I must state I found it a little strange that the only statement released by the Tony organization was that I missed my mark and that I was completely fine. First, I thought, ‘what mark?’ as there was no official mark, just a retracting drum riser and an overhead prop being rapidly lowered which was out of my view. Second, I think it was slightly irresponsible for them to report that I was fine without full knowledge of my condition, when a doctor hadn’t even looked at me yet and I surely don’t remember any X-Ray machines backstage. I am not looking for an apology, I only hoped that on a human level that the Tony organizations’ representative would have expressed some concern for injury in their statement or at the very least claim they would be looking into the matter.

Whether it was a miscommunication, missed cue or missed mark no matter what the situation was the prop should have been stopped or at least slowed for a few more seconds until I cleared the stage. I apparently had less than two seconds to avoid being hit. It was evident I was backing up and moving in the direction to exit the stage for at least 30 to 40 feet and it is plain to see I had no clue this prop was descending. For God sake, they have at least a five second delay to prevent the airing of unapproved expletives and nudity!

For the record never at any point during my Sunday morning rehearsal was I ever instructed that the piece was coming down and that I had very little time to get off the stage, otherwise believe me I would have stopped or at least ducked so as not to be knocked out at the Tonys. Trust me I never wanted any of this to happen. I was simply doing as I was told which was to exit the stage as Poison’s song “Nothin’ but a Good Time” came to a close.

I feel for the actors and actresses who put in so much time and hard work on or off Broadway to get to the Tonys. This is their moment and I am sorry that some of it may have gotten overshadowed by my thick rocker cranium being struck by a stage prop. On a high note I hear it was the highest rated Tonys they have had in years. However, I was bummed that I did not get to see any of the acts perform during the Tonys as I have never seen a play on Broadway before, probably would have enjoyed it, and even more bummed that I did not get to attend the after parties, cuz rumor has it Anne Hathaway was going to be there and she is hot.

I would like to personally thank Bobby and C.C., Mark Hogue, Larry Morand and my crew along with Liza Minnelli, Mark Indelicato and Carole Propp for rushing to my dressing room to check on my condition. In closing I truly appreciate everyone’s concern. I thank the Good Lord I have a thick skull and I have a feeling this may have been my first and final curtain call at the Tonys.

Sincerely,

Broadway Bret Michaels

June 11, 2009

That looks like me as I'm always hitting my damned head on something. :blink::slapface:

I know how you feel, redrum. :black_eye:

At first I thought "Ha! He deserves it!" Then I watched it again. Then I felt bad. That was very serious. He's lucky to still be here! But couldn't someone in editing have left that out, for his & everyone elses sakes?

That looked fucking scary! "Missed his mark"??? What a crock of shit! The Tonys' set director dropped the ball (or the wall literally). He's damn lucky he wasn't seriously injured! I'm no big Bret fan, but the dude could'a been killed.

I don't care if he's responsible for shitty TV or not, you don't wish for something like that to happen to the guy. I'm glad he's okay and very thankful, not just for him but everyone else in attendance and watching on TV, that nothing more serious occurred.

That looked fucking scary! "Missed his mark"??? What a crock of shit! The Tonys' set director dropped the ball (or the wall literally). He's damn lucky he wasn't seriously injured! I'm no big Bret fan, but the dude could'a been killed.

Agreed. I know they're pressed for time but you never drop a prop when they're still onstage. If he'd been knocked out it could have come down and crushed his neck.

I would not want to see the dude die obviously. But i am a firm believer in Karma. And hopefully this will knock some sense into his head. The dude is slimy, tacky, You name it, he is it. From that horrible show he put on the air, to his music, to the way he dresses (that bandana and long wig) the whole deal. How old is this dude?

What was he even doing on the Tony Awards??? :o That is supposed to be a classy show.

I wasn't aware that Brett Micheals released a country album, I don't really follow him.

I don't "follow" Bret either but I do follow music, that's how I heard about his country record.

In my opinion, Bon Jovi has gone to this new form of country music. I know other people agree with me, they may play their older stuff at concerts but if you look at their new catalogue it is very different then the music that they came out with in the 80s. I think that they have just gone with what is popular, but no one has to share my opinion. As for Def Leppard, they did a tour/performances with Taylor Swift. As I said earlier, they are also on the CMT awards show.

I haven't heard any of Bon Jovi's newer material so I have no idea what it sounds like. I'm just saying I believe a great deal of today's country music has more in common with rock n' roll than country and not in a good way. In regards to Def Leppard, I haven't been able to find anything about them doing a tour with Taylor Swift but they apparently taped an episode of CMT's Crossroads with her. Is it "selling out" for a rock artist to suddenly record something aimed at the country crowd? I don't know but it certainly seems out of character for a band like Def Leppard to have Tim McGraw as a guest vocalist on their newest album.

I recently saw an interview Tavis Smiley did with Jewel on his talk show. They discussed her latest album being marketed to country radio. She explained it like this. Back in the 90s, when the "Modern Rock" format was still fairly new they were the format that was more open to artists being experimental. In 2009, the format that is apparently more open to change is country. She said the style of her new album isn't all that different than what she's always sounded like but these days her sound fits in more comfortably on country radio.

All I know is, when I hear most of what is considered "country" these days (referring to commercial country music radio) it sounds more like "arena rock" or "hair metal" than what I consider to be country music.

Well Jah, I tuned in to the CMT show briefly, and the B-52s were performing Love Shack. So as you alluded earlier, I'm not sure if it's rockers going country or country going rock! :lol:

May be a new hybrid genre: Crock! :beer:

(I had a two-syllable version, but it sounded dirty) ;)

I think it's the country music that's heading more towards the rock music than vice versa. It seems to me that the genre is making a definate change to try to appeal to a cooler crowd...

I think it's the country music that's heading more towards the rock music than vice versa. It seems to me that the genre is making a definate change to try to appeal to a cooler crowd...

But Bonnie, I was assured most emphatically by the locals when I lived in the South that Rock music was for them homersexuals! :lol:

Okay, it was just this one guy! :lol:

All kidding aside, I saw George Jones and Conway Twitty back in the day, and today's country isn't that country. Mainstream country has become as sponsor driven as NASCAR.

Even the hybrid bluegrass-jam bands like Leftover Salmon have a deeper stake in tradition than this "modern country rock". I ain't sayin' it's bad, I'm jes sayin' it ain't country! No more than Kid Rock doin' Skynyrd is Southern. May sound that way in Mt Clemens, but not in Sweet Home Alabama. And even Alabamans are fiercely aware that Skynyrd was from Florida! :lol:

Archived