Bonham?

mrzepbonham

There may be better technical drummers out there, but no one NO ONE better propelled a band better than Bonham. Listen to any live recording. That bass and snare are something never heard before or since. He may have been shy about his abilities, but the ears don't lie.

Greatest rock drummer ever. Anybody "heavier" lacked his grace and subtlety. And the Purdie shuffle? Yeah right. Bonzo had all the bases covered like no other.

My personal hero as a drummer has been Gavin Harrison, as I've gained SO MUCH information on HOW to drum and sound good with a band and groove just by listening to him play, not to mention listening to him talk. As well as actually getting to read and have questions answered from him on drummerworld.com.

Now when I first started what really got me interested in that was listening to Led Zeppelin.

Which is more important? I don't know. But these days I'm not listening to as much Zeppelin as I used to and I'm listening to more Tony Williams than I did back then (I didn't listen to him back then). I'm betting Mr. Bonham listened to Mr. Williams too though.

My personal hero as a drummer has been Gavin Harrison, as I've gained SO MUCH information on HOW to drum and sound good with a band and groove just by listening to him play, not to mention listening to him talk. As well as actually getting to read and have questions answered from him on drummerworld.com.

Now when I first started what really got me interested in that was listening to Led Zeppelin.

Which is more important? I don't know. But these days I'm not listening to as much Zeppelin as I used to and I'm listening to more Tony Williams than I did back then (I didn't listen to him back then). I'm betting Mr. Bonham listened to Mr. Williams too though.

i never heard of Gavin Harrison, thanks lol, hes pritty dam good lol. im not a fane of the music he was playing but hes mad good. he may be a better tecnical drummer then bonham, but i dont realy no him well enuph two really say that, but i dont think i will ever like aney drummer as much as i do bonham, im alittul obsessed with bonham.

and now that i think about it he probably did lisson two Mr. Williams, bonham did start as a jazz drummer.....and if you are a drummer and dont lisson to jazz start it will make you so much better

check out danny brit on drummerworld.com

There may be better technical drummers out there, but no one NO ONE better propelled a band better than Bonham. Listen to any live recording. That bass and snare are something never heard before or since. He may have been shy about his abilities, but the ears don't lie.

Greatest rock drummer ever. Anybody "heavier" lacked his grace and subtlety. And the Purdie shuffle? Yeah right. Bonzo had all the bases covered like no other.

one of the coolest things about the way Bonham played was what he leftout

• 2 years later...

i believe his technique was all about crude raw power and physical prowess ... to hell with precision and technicality .... it was exclusive to bonzo ... no drummer have ever or will ever be in the same league as he was .... :)

• 2 weeks later...

i believe his technique was all about crude raw power and physical prowess ... to hell with precision and technicality .... it was exclusive to bonzo ... no drummer have ever or will ever be in the same league as he was .... :)

I like your enthusiasm but,Bonzo was precise and technical,he had to be to follow and slot in with many of Pagey's riff and licks.

He was also ultimately inventive.

I like your enthusiasm but,Bonzo was precise and technical,he had to be to follow and slot in with many of Pagey's riff and licks.

He was also ultimately inventive.

i prefer to call that, on-stage chemistry ... plant, page, jones and bonham understood what they were doing and were perfect in doing it together ... they just understood each other .. and to think of bonham as a technical drummer precisely calculating when to hit this and when to hit that is just boring :) .. i know he was technical and he always knew what he was doing ... but for me he'll always be a mad man drumming with baseball bats :)

i prefer to call that, on-stage chemistry ... plant, page, jones and bonham understood what they were doing and were perfect in doing it together ... they just understood each other .. and to think of bonham as a technical drummer precisely calculating when to hit this and when to hit that is just boring :) .. i know he was technical and he always knew what he was doing ... but for me he'll always be a mad man drumming with baseball bats :)

Bonzo created gold in the studio too.

As well as your typical rock drumming which he managed to breathe new life into,he's also been called a funk drummer.But the best thing I think I can do is to give you a couple of examples which show some precision and technique:

You've got your own way of looking at Bonzo,that's cool.I see there's more to him than a mad-man drumming..

..with baseball bats. :)

Archived