Kashmir... intro?

Zoso1968

hey guys i was listening to (for like the millionth time) the knebworth live version of kashmir and i was wondering if the little intro number he does was improvisational or something that was standard.. heres the link

WELL worth a listen to if youve never heard it..

(also if ne1 knows how to play that intro.. thatd be much appreciated info!)

Thanks guys

It's part of the White Summer/Black Mountain Side he would do before Kashmir. Done through '77-'80. Check out the the Royal Albert hall 1970 footage where he does White Summer as well, midway he goes into BMS.

Just couldn't resist could'ya? :lol:

Cue Foghorn Leghorn:

"I say, I say booy, if they keep a pitchin' 'em, I'll keep a hittin' 'em". :D

Still, the 'phone isn't as effective as Stonehenge now, is it? :rolleyes:

Cue Foghorn Leghorn:

"I say, I say booy, if they keep a pitchin' 'em, I'll keep a hittin' 'em". :D

Still, the 'phone isn't as effective as Stonehenge now, is it? :rolleyes:

I understand Black Sabbath couldn't get the thing in bloody concert hall!

Course now it would be a fucking Blackberry and probably have all the keyboard parts in it!!

Cue favorites Kashmir: 1 2 3 4

in the video, why is there a telephone on JPJ's keyboard :huh: at like 7:13 you can see it really good :huh:

Contrary to popular belief, the phone did not include a speed dial feature for room service at the Royal Orleans.

hey guys i was listening to (for like the millionth time) the knebworth live version of kashmir and i was wondering if the little intro number he does was improvisational or something that was standard.. heres the link

WELL worth a listen to if youve never heard it..

(also if ne1 knows how to play that intro.. thatd be much appreciated info!)

Thanks guys

The melody is a direct rip-off of Bert Jansch's "Black Water Side". That tune was a reworking of Davy Graham's guitar reworking of the Irish vocal tune "She moved through the fair" . But when it comes to Page's version, with the playing style, melody, and that little quick slide thing he does. That's all 100% a direct lift from the end of Jansch's version.

So, if you want to learn to play it, pick up a copy of Jansch's Jack Orion album. White Summer/Black Mountain Side is one of Page's biggest thefts. Not an original note from Page in those solos whatsoever.

sweet thanks guys, didnt realize that at all... which shocks me cuz i usually pick up on that stuff... thanks tho! also, is there any actual difference between white summer and black mountain side? ive got the latter but not white summer.. thanks!

The only version of White Summer (studio) that I have comes from a Yardbirds compilation

album. It's says on wiki the song was on their last album Little Games. You could probably pick that up at your local music store if they have it.

By the way, Jimmy plays both these songs much better than anyone. Just an opinion :D

It's part of the White Summer/Black Mountain Side he would do before Kashmir. Done through '77-'80. Check out the the Royal Albert hall 1970 footage where he does White Summer as well, midway he goes into BMS.

It's a beautiful intro to a beautiful song like "Kashmir". :D

in the video, why is there a telephone on JPJ's keyboard :huh: at like 7:13 you can see it really good :huh:

He was waiting on a call from the car park! ;)

:hysterical: Page and Plant would say so!

:peace:,

Jo

Archived