Rock Band Network

• 10 months later...

Now that Rock Band 3 will have a "Pro Mode" where you can actually play a real guitar with the game, maybe Zeppelin is not so far off from being in Rock Band. The game will now teach you how to play real instruments.

Handing over his Masters was only part of the issue.

Video games are essentially "dumbed down" versions of reality; painting partial pictures, so to speak.

Jimmy may not like the idea of Led Zeppelin being represented so partially or "dumbed down" and therefore has declined every offer thus far.

I can only guess.

• 5 weeks later...

If led Zeppelin liscenced their stuff to a video game it would be the end of the world, Led Zeppelin is not a video game, if the younger generation wants to be exposed to Led zeppelin they should just listen to the music. The only way this will happen is if some rich guy buys an island where copyrights cant be enforced, then maybe some programmer could make rock band video game with Zeppelin music, but that video game could only be played on that island or it would be illegal, which is a pretty good idea for a black market item.

If led Zeppelin liscenced their stuff to a video game it would be the end of the world, Led Zeppelin is not a video game, if the younger generation wants to be exposed to Led zeppelin they should just listen to the music. The only way this will happen is if some rich guy buys an island where copyrights cant be enforced, then maybe some programmer could make rock band video game with Zeppelin music, but that video game could only be played on that island or it would be illegal, which is a pretty good idea for a black market item.

Younger generations don't just have a Zeppelin II cd appears in their hands. I got into Zep about 4 years ago when I was 12 because my dad decided its time I hear some real music. Not everyone may be lucky enough to have a parent who is/was in to Zeppelin. Video games appeal to younger kids, so if Zep is there (and they make the game right), who are you to say this is the end of the world?

who are you to say this is the end of the world?

I am very wise about these types of things, a long time ago, before there was such a thing as a video game, before vh1, before itunes and computers, music was listened to all by itself, musicians expressed themselves with musical instruments, what was expressed was left up to interpretation, imaginations ran wild while listening to these recordings, the music stood on its own ground. More than most other musicians Led Zeppelin were and are purists and that means that there aren't other things that are supposed to get in the way of the music. Music was an art form on a higher level than other everyday things because it spoke to your emotions on a subconscious level. Jimmy Page and Led Zeppelin were pioneers in championing the artists right to produce themselves and they broke down many barriers in the industry in securing the listeners right to hear and connect with what the artist was saying and not what the record company or rolling stone mag wanted them to say. It was all about freedom of expression and Led Zeppelin don't want to be in a video game because thats not what was intended when the music was recorded. So if they end up a video game all that is pure in this world will be gone forever because the essence of what is Led Zeppelin will be translated through this other medium that has nothing to do with the original art-form. Many will say, "don't you want kids to know about and be exposed to Zeppelin?" and i will say that if they are being exposed to Zeppelin through a video game then they are not being exposed to Zeppelin at all, in fact Led Zeppelin will be ruined for them because there subconscious will never know what it is like to hear what they were saying without thinking about said game.

I did not say "this is the end of the world" i said it "would be" and thankfully Jimmy Page agrees with me on this matter as I new he would. In the future when children around the world listen to the albums for the first time they will get it and the ones that only get music from video games never will. Its like sex, imagine your first sexual experience being with a robot, very much the same as Zeppelin in a video game. Is there nothing sacred in this world? but its cool that your dad showed you.

cheers

In the age of Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga, I think the exposure of talented acts like Led Zeppelin to younger generations is absolutely imperative. What better medium to garner this exposure than video games?

I honestly don't see how opening up the eyes of literally hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of younger people who have never heard Zep before (at least knowingly) can be construed as a bad thing.

Does anyone honestly believe everything the Beatles have accomplished has been diminished in any way because of their Rock Band game?

Not wanting a goofy, cartoon representation of yourself sing along with crappy pop songs is completely understandable (a la the Kurt Cobain "incident"), and if people are honestly worried about the relative simplicity in a bunch of dots flying across the screen, the next Rock Band game is taking the next step, and will begin to actually teach the user how to play:

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/rock-band-3-will-teach-you-how-to-play-keyboards-guitar/1401825

This is the age of Lady Gaga and Justine Bieber? I thought that was just the flavor of the week for little kids. As for learning how to play guitar from a video game , you gotta do what you gotta do.

I have no doubt that kids will hear Zeppelin for many years to come long after all this other crap has come and gone.

Rock Band "pro" ha ha ha more like music for beginers, no not the propper format for Zeppelin

anyway didn't Jimmy already speak about this, rock band is not in the cards

Well i grew up in the age of Grunge rock and THANK GOD my brother saved me from that mess by giving me Led Zeppelin album Presence. Now i dont know if kids these days have a cool older brother like i do but maybe a video game would bring kids into Led Zep and out of Justin Beiber and Jonas bros. So people relize that it could be a really cool thing for a Led Zeppelin rock band game plus it could bring families together. Dad could sing,kid could play guitar and mom could play drums. Now thats what id call a great family night

I'm on the "PRO" side for a video game, although I'm not a gamer myself. But I always felt that the "purist approach" (on everything) is counterproductive. The "we are too good to do this or that" attitude was sometime for the best, sometime not.

Zep is one of the bands that, being judged by only 3 or 4 hit songs, is not in their favor. Therefore the legion of haters, that don't understand what we (the fans) find in this band and feel that they are overrated.

The beauty of Zep's music is revealed better with an attentive ear, and if you dig deeper. Most of the fans said that they needed a "click" moment with Zep's music (not like the usually listener-friendly music). And you can't listen more concentrate than trying to sing along (with real or fake instruments).

I feel like today their importance in music history is overlooked. People forgot how big their shadow was in the '80 (when there were Zep clones everywhere, and songs were made about that). Today I suffer when other inferior but sold-out bands overshadow them. And I would like for Zep to sell-out too, and appear to the whole world as the giant they are. Tell a regular guy on the street that Zep sold more albums than Rolling Stones and he will doubt it.

For example, VH1 didn't even bother to include Zep in their "honors".

Once, just once I would like the mainstream media to notice their lasting popularity and bow to them as one of the greatest artist ever.

Of course, I'm aware that my personal wishes on that matter are as worthy as a frozen onion, but those were my 2 cents.

Everything to keep them from slipping away into obscurity = good.

bought Aerosmith GH, it was a laugh and a half, got Beatles Rock band, fun, artisticly well made, helped get your head inside the music (musically anyway, i play drums bass and guitar) so it was nice to know certain phrasing etc and singing and working out different harmonies, all good stuff

Now, im a gamer and a massive Zep fan, id love a Zep RB, i cant see one coming out but if it did, im sure Jimmy would be overseeing the A-Z of it all and would basically be the producer of the game. i just dont understand the fuss, why is everyone so hung up on what the kids think or have, fuck em, they get enough already, im 29 and i want this game. again there is this thing about kids being exposed to "crap" music and again the blame is put to the artists, " you allowed the game therefore its your fault that all the kids see is dots flying about" jeez, if a kid (human) hears a song on the tv or radio i like to think they will find out who its by and maybe...just maybe they will ask for or purchase the song or god forbid...Album ;)

basically you all need to relax about this, Zep never released a proper live album, no there are 3, no footage or videos, now there are 3 dvds blurays and all that joy, things change, mentallitys change, we change, so does the world, take some shrooms, light a candle and chill the fuck out!

ps was there this much hoo haa on the Beatles forum when their Rock band was announced?

I'm on the "PRO" side for a video game, although I'm not a gamer myself. But I always felt that the "purist approach" (on everything) is counterproductive. The "we are too good to do this or that" attitude was sometime for the best, sometime not.

Zep is one of the bands that, being judged by only 3 or 4 hit songs, is not in their favor. Therefore the legion of haters, that don't understand what we (the fans) find in this band and feel that they are overrated.

The beauty of Zep's music is revealed better with an attentive ear, and if you dig deeper. Most of the fans said that they needed a "click" moment with Zep's music (not like the usually listener-friendly music). And you can't listen more concentrate than trying to sing along (with real or fake instruments).

I feel like today their importance in music history is overlooked. People forgot how big their shadow was in the '80 (when there were Zep clones everywhere, and songs were made about that). Today I suffer when other inferior but sold-out bands overshadow them. And I would like for Zep to sell-out too, and appear to the whole world as the giant they are. Tell a regular guy on the street that Zep sold more albums than Rolling Stones and he will doubt it.

For example, VH1 didn't even bother to include Zep in their "honors".

Once, just once I would like the mainstream media to notice their lasting popularity and bow to them as one of the greatest artist ever.

Of course, I'm aware that my personal wishes on that matter are as worthy as a frozen onion, but those were my 2 cents.

Everything to keep them from slipping away into obscurity = good.

Hey man i feel the same way.

id like to see someone play moby dick on expert drums or whatever its called

They didnt let Waynes World use part of stairway for about 2 seconds, i doubt their gonna let a video game use a WHOLE song

I've been a fan of Led Zep for over 40 yrs. They r still going strong in my world

id like to see someone play moby dick on expert drums or whatever its called

They didnt let Waynes World use part of stairway for about 2 seconds, i doubt their gonna let a video game use a WHOLE song

So would i man, it would be fun, Jeez, DOES ANYBODY REMEMBER LAUGHTER??????

Zep tunes (and name) are used all over the place, when Katrina hit N.O the bbc showed a documentry, levee was the "theme"tune and recently a look at the Normans, battle of evermore, i hear rock and roll was in a car add

As much as i love Zep you gotta realise they they are a money draw, if it really was down to purism, why has page produced 3 different "greatest hits"? why is there a "replica vinyl" cd collection for £150? toys of jimmy from £15-£80? posters, t shirts, mugs, coasters, hats, wallets, etc not to mention Pages £800 book

you're all living in the past (and trust me i would be right there with ya'll) but its 40 years too late to start talking about "the kids" and "selling out", I would live happily knowing a cocky little asbo boy gamer who, by chance played the beatles rockband and heard 1 minute of Come Together or I am the Walrus and enjoyed the music rather than them sitting on a bench with cider in one hand and a mobile in the other with 50 cent coming out of the pathetic speaker!

Zep aint making new music so i think a great way for a kind of reinvention is to go down the game route, they've been down the movie route now for something new. And if Zep RB did ever see the light of day will you all start burning your Zep records?......didnt think so

anyone can just program your own game for personal use. but you want Jimmy to program it for you. Its like Picaso, if Picaso doesn't want his picture on a cereal box then its not going to happen. think of all the kids who dont get to look at a picaso while eating breakfast. Zeppelin is primarily known for making music and while they like to have a laph now and then and make oodles of money, its about being good at making music. We had video games when I was a kid; Astroids, pong was a great advancement, the thing about video games is that they are programed to do the same thing over and over again. I will admit that a zeppelin video would be very cool, maybe I'm being convinced, the problem is that Zeppelin never really did what others did, they did it their way. Maybe some creative team could hire a really good cover band, recreate the music as best they could and then reach a publishing deal for the compositions, make a sort of fake zeppelin video game, leaving the masters unscathed. Proper respect is due. I mean shit, I want Zeppelin to play my birthday party.

I think you guys should program your own game and make your own album. It can't be that hard, for every note on the album just make a little button or light go across the screen, making your own controller interface shouldn't be that hard either. if you had friends who know about computers you could do it in a few days. kids these days want everything handed to them on a silver platter.

I personally wouldn't care if they came out with a game but it make perfect sense that they don't. Being a purist myself I can understand where the band is coming from. For instance if I was offered 200 million dollars to go on tour I wouldn't if I wasn't feeling the right vibe about the whole thing. when it comes to Zeppelin you have to trust that they know what they are doing, they know how to exploit the masters.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived