Favorite quotes/proverbs

Zepulon

John Hiatt, describing his album The Tiki Bar is Open:

"The idea with that record was take four old farts and try to freshen them up a little bit, slap some make-up on, visit the hair club, whatever it took,"

and the next album, Beneath This Gruff Exterior (probably my favorite Hiatt album) as his "ascent to curmudgeonhood" (I love that he describes it as an ASCENT, not a descent)

a song from BTGE, How Bad's the Coffee: "...in the era of Starbuck-ification, it's going back to when men were men and coffee was bad and the pie was good, for goddam sake. We built this country on bad coffee!"

and on the upside to touring: "that's the pay-off-I get to get up and act like a complete frickin' fool for two hours! They're paying to watch a fifty year old guy act like a complete bozo-it's a wonderful thing."

:notworthy:

Del Giffith: You play with your balls a lot.

Neal Page: I do NOT play with my balls.

Del: Larry Bird doesn't do as much ball-handling in one night as you do in an hour!

Neal: Are you trying to start a fight?

Del: No. I'm simply stating a fact. That's all. You fidget with your nuts a lot.

Neal: You know what'd make me happy?

Del: Another couple of balls, and an extra set of fingers?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

1129091250a.jpg

1129091248.jpg

--------✑--------

"Scrooge was better than his word. He did it all, and infinitely more; and to Tiny Tim, who did NOT die, he was a second father. He became as good a friend, as good a master, and as good a man, as the good old city knew, or any other good old city, town, or borough, in the good old world. Some people laughed to see the alteration in him, but he let them laugh, and little heeded them; ... for his own heart laughed; and that was quite enough for him...And it was always said of him, that he knew how to keep Christmas well, if any man alive possessed the knowledge. May that be truly said of all of us! And so, as Tiny Tim observed, God bless Us, Every One!

The End"

Dickens

--------✑--------

1129091252.jpg

"If you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America, you're given a front-row seat." - George Carlin

"The difference between the almost-right word and the right word is really a large matter - 'tis the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning." - Mark Twain

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." - Raoul Duke

"You treat me good, I treat you better. You treat me bad, I treat you worse." - Sonny Barger, Hell's Angels

"By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." - Socrates

• 1 month later...

"All labor that uplifts humanity has dignity and importance and should be undertaken with painstaking excellence."

"I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear."

~ Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

We are what we think.

All that we are arises with our thoughts.

With our thoughts we make the world.

Speak or act with an impure mind

And trouble will follow you

As the wheel follows the ox that draws the cart.

We are what we think.

All that we are arises with our thoughts.

With our thoughts we make the world.

Speak or act with a pure mind

And happiness will follow you

As your shadow, unshakable.

http://www.thebigview.com/buddhism/dhammapada-01.html

• 2 weeks later...

"Elegance Without Warmth Is Arrogance"

Former CEO of The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company. This man defined Luxury in th Hotel Business. I was with the company at that time and we won the Malcolm Baldrige award twice. No other hotel company has ever won it once! When he left the company....so did a lot of us. I learned more from this man in a professional manner than anyone in my life!

http://www.asq.org/learn-about-quality/malcolm-baldrige-award/overview/overview.html

This is insight I have yet to integrate into my person:

http://kingjbible.com/1_corinthians/13.htm

1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. 2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. 3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, 5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; 6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; 7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. 9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. 11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. 13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

Archived