JOHN PAUL JONES New Project

The Pagemeister

Them Crooked Vultures

Leeds Festival

August 28 2009

NME.com

Them Crooked Vultures play surprise Leeds Festival show

Them Crooked Vultures made a surprise appearance at the Leeds Festival this afternoon (August 28), playing an unannounced set on the NME/Radio 1 Stage.

The band Queens Of The Stone Age's Josh Homme, Foo Fighters' Dave Grohl and Led Zeppelin bassist John Paul Jones, along with guitarist Alain Johannes had kept their appearance a secret, not confirming they were playing until just hours before the show.

Rumours had circulated about their possible appearance since the band played a surprise support slot with Arctic Monkeys who headline in Leeds tonight in London earlier in the week (August 26).

At around 4pm (BST) a drum kit with Them Crooked Vultures' logo was wheeled onto the stage, prompting cheers from fans. 15 minutes later the four-piece walked on stage to even louder cheers.

"We're Michael Jackson," Homme joked before launching into the set. "I feel good, do you feel alright?" he later asked the crowd, before bigging up Spinnerette the band featuring his wife Brody Dalle - who played earlier.

He also praised Eagles Of Death Metal, the band he formed with singer and guitarist Jesse Hughes, but who he did not play with today when they performed earlier on the Main Stage.

Homme later introduced his new band, prompting the loudest cheers of the set when he introduced Grohl on drums who grinned and poured a bottle of water over his head.

John Paul Jones, who also earned huge cheers when his name was called, played keyboard at the end of 'Daffodils' following the 'Dead End Friends', 'Gunman', 'Mind Eraser (No Chaser)' and 'Caligulover'.

"Have a good time - that's why you paid your money, that's why you're camping, that's why we're here, that's why you're all totally high right now," Homme told the crowd before heading off, ending with set closers 'New Fang' and the epic 'Nobody Loves Me (And Neither Do I)'.

NME.COM will be coming live from both the Reading And Leeds Festivals sites this weekend (August 28-30). Stay tuned to NME.COM/festivals for news reports, blogs, video interviews and photos from the event.

Get next Wednesday's (September 2) issue of NME for the ultimate Reading And Leeds Festivals review.

Plus have your say on this summer - fill in the annual NME Festival survey now to cast your verdict on 2009, and tell festival chiefs who you want to see next year.

Like alot of peopole on here, i can tell by the few vids I've heard, there is a resemblence of Jonesy's past solo projects in this music....maybe he decided to used some of his ideas for this project instead of using them on his next album. nevertheless, i think they sound really good and I'm happy for JPJ no matter what he's doing. He's way too talented to not be creating something.

Them Crooked Vultures

Reading Festival, England

August 29, 2009

This from John McGa:

We got in 45 minutes or so before they came on, during the fairly dire Patrick Wolf's set. The tent cleared out a bit when he finished, but filled up again quickly. This was not a well-kept surprise slot, although two girls did ask us what was going on.

We were a bit in front of the second barrier, just off to the left - pretty awesome spot, considering how rammed it got.

I have never heard such a deafening reception for a drummer, and I didn't really think the crowd gave Homme and John Paul Jones the attention they deserved.

They sounded really solid musically though. Heavy, really tight, and some great guitar solos. I was hearing all their stuff for the first time - but for a first listen, some of it was really outstanding. Hope they come back and tour properly.

20090829001JohnMcga.jpg

Photo Credit: John MCGa

NME.com August 29, 2009

Them Crooked Vultures play second secret Reading And Leeds Festivals gig

Dave Grohl blows kisses to the audience during the supergroup's set

Them Crooked Vultures played their second secret set of the Reading And Leeds Festivals this afternoon (August 29), performing to a heaving NME/Radio 1 Stage tent at the Reading site.

The band, made up of Dave Grohl, Josh Homme, John Paul Jones and Alain Johannes, played roughly the same timeslot as they did yesterday at the Leeds Festival site.

Many fans initially weren't sure whether the slot would feature Them Crooked Vultures, though their suspicions were confirmed as Homme walked onstage, inciting frenzied cheers from the massive audience, a fair portion of whom threw their drinks further into the crowd as celebration.

As the stage's TV screens showed bassist Jones for the first time, he got a massive cheer from the crowd - though that was outdone when the cameras focused on Grohl sitting at his drum kit seconds later.

The band kicked off their eight-song set by playing the slow-paced 'Elephant'. After the track, a beaming Grohl poured water over himself, while Homme called the audience "beautiful motherfuckers".

Later in the set, the guitarist introduced each member to the crowd, inciting wild cheers as he did so. When he hailed Grohl, the former Nirvana drummer jokingly blew kisses at the Reading Festival audience.

Elsewhere in Them Crooked Vultures' performance, the band played the riff-heavy 'Gunman' and the epic 'Daffodils', which bears similarities to Homme's Desert Sessions work.

Before leaving the stage, the guitarist paid tribute to some of the other acts on the bill, singling out, "The Bronx, Spinnerette, Eagles of Death Metal, The Prodigy, and the fucking Arctic Monkeys" as his favourites.

Them Crooked Vultures played:

'Elephant'

'Dead End Friends'

'Gunman'

'Mind Eraser (No Chaser)'

'Daffodils'

'New Fang'

'Nobody Loves Me (And Neither Do I)'

Them Crooked Vultures (billed as Les Petits Pois)

Parc de St Cloud - Rock en Seine Festival

Paris, France

August 30, 2009

http://rockerparis.blogspot.com/2009/08/them-crooked-vultures-aka-les-petits.html

Last day for the Rock en Seine , the bill is even worse than the previous days as most of the bands are electro- rock. We couldn't get there in time for the Eagles of death Metal or "The Pigeons of Shit Metal" as Axl Rose called them. We just know that Dave Grohl play the last song with them.

A real nightmare for us poor bastards as we were busy this afternoon and we arrived just when Dave Grohl, Josh Homme , John Paul Jones and let's not forget Alain Johannes get on the second stage. It's absolutely packed in the front with mostly male rockers, where are all the beautiful girls?

Anyway John Paul Jones ( Led Zeppelin ) is smiling, Dave Grohl ( Foo Fighters ) is banging his drums like a maniac, Josh Homme ( QOTSA ) is concentrated on his guitar & Alain Johannes ( Eleven ) is helping out on guitar and keys .

The set is VERY heavy with long songs. As i've never ever heard any of them before I can't really tell you anything about them except that they sound like the best of QOTSA. Very heavy with bluesy licks and breaks.

This band is more like "QOTSA with friend J-P J" as all the guys on stage have played one moment or another in the QOTSA. Funny to see how John Paul Jones is fitting in. When you consider the history & Music of Led Zeppelin and the history & Music of Nirvana , Foo Fighters & QOTSA , John Paul Jones seems to be out of place here even though his bass parts are perfect.

Dave Grohl is like a kid in a candy store playing with John Paul always looking and smiling at him in awe.

John- Paul is playing different bass guitars including a very weird one and a couple of songs on keys.

Great 1 hour killer set...probably the most waited for and the best of the festival.

SETLIST :

01/ Elephants

02/ Dead End Friends

03/ Gunman

04/ Mind Eraser

05/ Bandoliers

06/ Caligulove

07/ Daffodils

08/ New Fang

09/ Nobody Loves Me and Neither Do I

10/ Warsaw

Them Crooked Vultures

Academy in Brixton

August 26, 2009

Them Crooked Vultures Join Arctic Monkeys for Surprise London Show

Rolling Stone.com 8/27/09, 11:35 am EST

20090826001AurelienGuichard.jpg

Photo Credit: Aurelien Guichard

One of the hottest bands in the world made their London debut last night as the openers for Arctic Monkeys at the Brixton Academy. Billed cryptically as “very special guests,” the secret was clearly out as a line wrapped around the block with fans eager to catch a set by new supergroup Them Crooked Vultures. At 7:50 GMT John Paul Jones, Dave Grohl and Josh Homme casually assumed the stage as any opening band might, before rocking the theater with just under an hour of ear splitting, foot stomping, unadulterated rock.

Offering nothing more than a simple “hello” from frontman Homme, the band immediately launched into “Elephants,” beginning with a Led Zep-inspired bluesy guitar riff and thumping bassline before doubling to a speed that resembled Homme and Grohl’s respective outfits. The trio, who were joined by Queens of the Stone Age guitarist Alain Johannes, then broke out “Dead End Friends” and the droning hard rock “Gunman” both of which call to mind QOTSA material but with the amps turned up to 11 and Dave Grohl beating the drums within an inch of their life.

Supergroup mania: check out photos of Cream, Audioslave and more.

Homme kept crowd interaction with the 5,000 lucky fans packed inside the quaint venue to a minimum — they were the support act after all — saving his voice for melodic vocals on tunes like “Mind Eraser (No Chaser).” Many of the Vulture’s tunes took a number of meandering turns as they progressed, shifting styles and time signatures. The fifth song, “Caligulove” was a throwback psychedelic number with John Paul Jones blaring Hammond organ sound from his keyboard.

The Vultures played with an deafening intensity that brought the Monkeys out to watch from a back corner of the stage. Their strongest tune was “Daffodils,” which features a driving riff that had a whiff of Zeppelin’s “Immigrant Song” before Jones switched to the keys for a dreamy, classical, prog rock ending. The Vulture’s then moved on to the catchy, toe tapping “New Fang” which again showcased Homme’s vocals.

The one-hour set wrapped up with “Nobody Loves me, And Neither Do I,” another bluesy number featuring Jones on the 12-string slide guitar, followed by an untitled eight-minute sprawling epic. The closer featured multiple mood changes, wandering from jazzy slap bass interludes with swinging drums and lounge singer vocals to raucous hard rock sections. It was more of a novelty tune than a cohesive rock anthem but still a hell of a lot of fun.

“We had a lovely time, we hope you had the same,” Homme told the crowd as the band soaked up the rapturous applause before leaving the stage as casually as they had assumed it. It was an epic night in the rapidly unfolding history of perhaps the next great “supergroup,” a term that in this case may be justified.

Exactly where Them Crooked Vultures will land next is anyone’s guess although after appearances at three festivals in the Neatherlands and Belgium last week speculation is brewing about a possible slot at the Reading & Leeds festival. For now fans will have to keep up with the healthy rumor mill and hope they find themselves in the right place at the right time.

Set List:

1. Elephants

2. Dead End Friends

3. Gunman

4. Mind Eraser (No Chaser)

5. Caligulove

6. Daffodils

7. New Fang

8. Nobody Loves Me, And neither Do I

9. Untitled

Richard L. Dewey and Tim Marrinan

Them Crooked Vultures

Pukkelpop Festival

Kiewit, Belgium

August 20, 2009

20090820001MadeleinWaegemans.jpg

Photo Credit: Madelein Waegemans

20090820002MadeleinWaegemans.jpg

20090820003MadeleinWaegemans.jpg

20090820004MadeleinWaegemans.jpg

20090820005MadeleinWaegemans.jpg

20090820006MadeleinWaegemans.jpg

Them Crooked Vultures - 2009 UK TOUR

Plymouth Pavilions (12/10)

Portsmouth Guildhall (12/11)

Blackpool Empress Ballroom (12/13)

Birmingham O2 Academy (12/14)

Glasgow O2 Academy (12/15)

London HMV Hammersmith Apollo (12/17)

Tickets on sale in the UK at 10am this Friday (September 4).

20090830004GuinoPatrice-1.jpg

JOHN PAUL JONES ON TOUR!

..tks. SAJ for all the pictures and updates...Chemistry between the musicians is SUPER......finally, the younger audience will remember some day they witnessed one of the greatest artists of our time, on stage, with few of their own...

NME.com

Them Crooked Vultures announce UK tour

Dave Grohl, Josh Homme, John Paul Jones for December gig run

Them Crooked Vultures are set to tour the UK in December, NME.COM can exclusively reveal.

The rock collective – featuring Foo Fighters' Dave Grohl, Queens Of The Stone Age's Josh Homme and Led Zeppelin's John Paul Jones – will play six UK live dates as part of the gig run.

The jaunt will begin in Plymouth on December 8 and wrap up at the London Hammersmith Apollo on December 17.

Them Crooked Vultures played a secret show at the Leeds Festival on Friday (August 28), then one at the Reading Festival on Saturday (29).

Tickets for the December tour go on sale at 10am (BST) on Friday (September 4).

Them Crooked Vultures will play:

Plymouth Pavilions (December 10)

Portsmouth Guildhall (11)

Blackpool Empress Ballroom (13)

Birmingham O2 Academy (14)

Edinburgh Corn Exchange (15)

London HMV Hammersmith Apollo (17)

To check the availability of Them Crooked Vultures tickets and get all the latest listings, go to NME.COM/TICKETS now, or call 0871 230 1094.

If you're on O2 you can get Priority Tickets to The O2 and O2 Academy venues up to 48 hours before they go on general release. Register at o2.co.uk/priority. Terms apply.

Archived