JOHN PAUL JONES New Project

The Pagemeister

Well, a better bet would Islington Academy on August 24th.

I wonder where they got the info from ?? if its Islington or Brixton I can see a mad rush up to the venue to get tickets if its like the Dutch gig where its buy in person only.

Them Crooked Vultures

Lowlands Festival in Biddinghuizen, Netherlands

August 22, 2009

NU Bijlage Newspaper (Netherlands)

http://www.nubijlage...d-vultures.html

http://www.nubijlage.nl/lowlands-2009/

Them Crooked Vultures

Uitgegeven: 22 augustus 2009 19:51

Laatst gewijzigd: 22 augustus 2009 22:43

BIDDINGHUIZEN - Om 17:10 was de spanning om te snijden in de Grolsch-tent. Zou die Mystery Band nou de nieuwe 'supergroep' Them Crooked Vultures zijn, of had de Lowlands-organisatie 50.000 neergelegd voor een andere band? De opluchting was groot toen Dave Grohl, voormalig drummer van Nirvana en nu frontman van Foo Fighters, als eerste op het podium verscheen, gevolgd door Queens of The Stone Age-voorman Josh Homme en Led Zeppelin-bassist John Paul Jones.De tent is een grote massa van zwaaiende handen en joelende mensen en tot ver, ver buiten de tent staan de bezoekers rijendik. Er past onder het zeil geen muis meer bij.

De sound van Them Crooked Vultures is dan weer minder verrassend. De stempel van Homme drukt het hardst door op het geluid, met zijn specifieke gitaarsound en kenmerkende stem.

Alain Johannes

Dit leidt er toe dat de band voornamelijk klinkt als een Queens of The Stone Age met wilde drums. Live wordt het drietal bijgestaan door Alain Johannes, voor de incrowd bekend van zjin eigen band Eleven, of zijn samenwerking met Chris Cornell en Spinnerette.

Them Crooked Vultures is retestrak, en het publiek hangt aan hun lippen. Dit is precies wat je van drie rock 'n' roll-helden mag verwachten. Grohl slaat zijn stokken bijna stuk op zijn drumstel en Homme speelt de charismatische frontman.

Jones staat er bij als een kind in een snoepwinkel, overdonderd door het enthousiaste ontvangst en overduidelijk blij weer op het podium te staan.

Klootzak

Het publiek wordt overvloedig met een ingestudeerd 'dankjewel' bedankt en Homme heeft blijkbaar backstage ook wat Nederlandse scheldwoorden opgepikt. "It's hot like a klootzak up here", meldt hij halverwege de show. "That's Dutch for ball sack, Dave", onderwijst hij en passant Grohl.

Na een dozijn nog onbekende nummers - de plaat in immers nog niet uit - wordt naar verwachting geëindigd met een Zeppelin-achtige jam. Een klasse optreden, maar niet zó verrassend als de hype ons had doen vermoeden.

Them Crooked Vultures

August 22, 2009

Video Clips:

- New Fang

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=OzHPEKfw8KU - New Fang (2nd source)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=OzHPEKfw8KU - New Fang, (3rd source)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=OzHPEKfw8KU - New Fang, (4th source)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=iqZnneCVA8Y - Nobody Loves Me, & Neither Do I

This from Titia Hahne (www.titiahahne.nl)

19/08

Them Crooked Vultures have asked me to take pictures of their 2nd show ever, in Melkweg Amsterdam tonight. I was very honoured, being the only photographer allowed doing so. Pictures can be seen on their website, probably within this month. http://themcrookedvultures.com

18/08

This weekend I'll be at the Lowlands Festival, taking pictures of bands and live shows for OOR and Mojo's Lowlands Magazine.

Them Crooked Vultures

August 22, 2009

NU Bijlage Newspaper (Netherlands)

Them Crooked Vultures

Uitgegeven: 22 augustus 2009 19:51

Laatst gewijzigd: 22 augustus 2009 22:43

Translation:

BIDDINGHUIZEN - At 17:10 there was a lot of tension in the Grolsch-tent. Would the Mystery Band be the new 'supergroup' Them Crooked Vultures, or did the Lowlands-organisation pay 50.000 for another band?

The relief was great when Dave Grohl, former drummer of Nirvana and now frontman of Foo Fighters appeared on stage followed by QOTSA-frontman Josh Homme and LZ-bassist John Paul Jones.

The tent is a big mass of waving hands and screaming people and even far outside the tent there are masses of people. No mouse could be added under the tentsail.

The sound of Them Crooked Vultures is less surprising. Josh leaves the biggest mark on the sound with his specific guitar sound and distinctive voice.

Alain Johannes

This leads to the band sounding primarily like QOTSA with wild drums. Live the trio is assisted by Alain Johannes, known by the incrowd from his own band Eleven, or his collaboration with Chris Cornell and Spinnerette.

Them Crooked Vultures is super-tight and the audiance listens to every sound. This is exactly what you'd expect of the three rock 'n' roll-heroes. Grohl almost breaks his sticks on the drumkit and Homme plays the charismatic frontman.

Jones is like a child in a candy-shop (couldn't be any happier), overwhelmed by the enthusiastic welcome and clearly happy to be standing on stage again.

Klootzak

The audiance is thanked plentiful with a practised 'dankjewel' and Homme has apparently picked up some dutch swear-words backstage. "It's hot like a klootzak up here", he reports in mid-show. "That's Dutch for ball sack, Dave", he teaches Grohl.

After a dozen still unknown songs - the album isn't out yet - the show is ended with a Zeppelin-like jam. A class performance, though not as surprising the hype had made us believe.

their supporting the artic monkeys, jokes man!

This from NME.com an hour ago:

Them Crooked Vultures to support Arctic Monkeys tonight (August 26)

Dave Grohl, Josh Homme and John Paul Jones to make UK live debut, NME understands

Them Crooked Vultures, formed from members of Foo Fighters, Queens of The Stone Age and Led Zeppelin –

are believed to be making their UK live debut tonight (August 26).

Dave Grohl, Josh Homme and John Paul Jones' band are set to support Arctic Monkeys at their O2 Academy Brixton gig in London, NME.COM understands.

Who will fill the vacant support slot for the sold-out Reading And Leeds Festivals warm-up show has led to a string of rumours over the past week, with names including Britpop veterans Echobelly even suggested as a possibility.

However, while not officially confirmed, the band are favourites to take to the stage tonight at 7.30 pm (BST).

NME.COM will be at the show, so stay tuned for a full report.

Them Crooked Vultures

Academy in Brixton

August 26 2009

The guys opened for Arctic Monkeys and it went down a storm. Most oft said words of the night were "epic" and "I'm deaf". Full show details to follow.

Here's the pre-exisiting connection between the two groups from earlier this year that brought them together:

Josh Homme On Arctic Monkeys

US rocker on indie groupRelease Posted by Robin Murray Fri, 16/01/2009

Queens Of The Stone Age frontman Josh Homme has spoken about his time producing the forthcoming Arctic Monkeys album, it has been reported.Homme was at the control desk for sessions at his personal studio in the Joshua Tree, California. The third album by Arctic Monkeys, it follows two of the most celebrated British releases of the past ten years.

Josh Homme appeared as a special guest on Biffy Clyro's Radio 1 takeover show on January 16th, and was asked what the experience was like. "Oh man, it was great. We spent most of the time in Joshua Tree and it was really cool to be present and watch them go nuts."

Homme was asked if the group experimented with peyote, the legendary drug associated with native peoples of Mexico. The producer joked "well I did, but I didn't tell them, so there were just a few days when they were like 'Why are you being so weird?' I didn't think it was weird, I just said the word 'Ham' 4,000 times."

Later on in the interview Homme informally agreed to produce Biffy Clyro's new album.

Them Crooked Vultures Continue to Rock Europe, Plot Secret Gig

www.rollingstone.com 8/26/09, 12:21 pm EST

Them Crooked Vultures continue to randomly pop up for performances in Europe, and video from the new supergroup’s concerts continue to be Americans’ only method of hearing the band’s music (save for their post-Lollapalooza gig in Chicago that marked their live debut). Up top we have “Caligulove,” another new track from Queens of the Stone Age’s Josh Homme, Foo Fighters’ Dave Grohl and Led Zeppelin bassist John Paul Jones. As opposed to the propulsive driving force that is “Nobody Loves Me and Neither Do I,” “Caligulove” boasts a slower, grungier sound reminiscent of Facelift-era Alice in Chains, with Jones momentarily ditching his bass to step in behind the organ.

The Vultures continue to taunt fans with possible concert venues by using the Google Earth feature on their official Website, and the latest rumors have the band opening up for the Arctic Monkeys — Homme produced the Monkeys’ new album Humbug — tonight at London’s Brixton Academy.

Them Crooked Vultures are also rumored to be playing the Reading and Leeds Festivals this weekend — in perfect casting, Homme buddies Arctic Monkeys and Eagles of Death Metal are booked for the same day at both fests — but so far nothing has been confirmed.

Daniel Kreps

Them Crooked Vultures

Academy in Brixton

August 26, 2009

30 photos and a video clip courtesy of Byonder:

http://www.flickr.co....7622154305972/

26 photos courtesy of BigGreg:

http://www.flickr.co...57622154196932/

Concert Preview (The Times August 26, 2009)

http://entertainment.timesonline.co....cle6811073.ece

Press Review (4/5 stars):

Arctic Monkeys and Them Crooked Vultures: Brixton Academy

by David Sinclair The Times August 27 2009

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/live_reviews/article6811694.ece

There have been some hot tickets in pop this year. But this one was radioactive. Arctic Monkeys were here to limber up for their headlining slot this weekend at the Reading Festival.

It was their first chance to perform songs (in this country) from their acclaimed new album, Humbug, which has been selling about 40,000 copies a day since it was released on Monday. As if that wasn’t enough, the show was opened by Them Crooked Vultures, the new group co-starring Josh Homme, of Queens Of The Stone Age; John Paul Jones, of Led Zeppelin, and Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters, formerly the drummer with Nirvana.

Despite an attempt beforehand to keep this first show on British soil low-key, it was nothing of the sort. Rather like Jack White and his new group the Dead Weather, these are musicians for whom the idea of self-restraint let alone self-doubt is an alien concept. They came on like conquering superstars and were greeted as such. Jones strapped on a bass, Homme loomed over the microphone stand and Grohl initiated an all-out assault on his kit as they opened with a long, complicated, neo-progressive rock number with creamy harmonies underpinned by thunderous, heavily syncopated riffs.

Jones switched to keyboards for Caligulove, playing a romping bass line on footpedals. As they launched into the stoner rock riff of Daffodils, the sound climbed to super-threatening levels and the music new heights of heaviosity. With Grohl in particular performing the rock star-as-superhero role to perfection, this was a monster on the loose, not a support group.

It is a measure of how far Arctic Monkeys have progressed that they are now keeping such heavyweight company. Having recorded their third album in the Californian desert, with Homme in the producer’s chair, they have cast off their image as provincial indie-pop chancers, and assumed a commanding air of international rock group authority. Alex Turner’s songs still abound with witty wordplay and flat Northern vowel sounds. But the group from Sheffield has shed the smalltown mentality that has, in the past, limited the ambition and appeal of some British bands.

They waded in with My Propeller, the risqué opening track from Humbug, followed by a revved-up version of Nick Cave’s doomy Red Right Hand. Three shaggy heads shook at the front while strobes and smoke machines piled up the atmosphere all around. Alex Turner looked and sounded in complete control as he sang Crying Lightning, a tale of “the strange and the twisted and the deranged” in which he also constructed an elegant, twanging guitar solo.

As you would expect, I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor prompted a violent surge of activity at the front, but the new songs were every bit as propulsive and in some cases more interesting. Pretty Visitors was a surreal madhouse of skittering drums and slide guitar while Dangerous Animals was driven by a romping, stomping beat garnished with odd percussive noises that reverberated with a strange, subtle menace.

The pacing went awry when, having thrown everything at the wall during the first three quarters of the show, they headed towards the end with a string of defiantly downbeat songs including the latest in a line of warped romantic ballads, Cornerstone and a frankly maudlin The Only Ones Who Know.

A little fine tuning to the set, and Reading will be theirs.

Leeds 2009 Festival, August 28

Reading Festival, August 29

Them Crooked Vultures

Academy in Brixton

August 26, 2009

This from NME.com:

Them Crooked Vultures make UK live debut with Arctic Monkeys

Foo Fighters, QOTSA, Led Zep supergroup are surprise support in London

August 26, 2009 Them Crooked Vultures made their UK live debut in London tonight (August 26), playing as special guests of Arctic Monkeys.

The supergroup, featuring Foo Fighters' Dave Grohl, Led Zeppelin's John Paul Jones and Queens Of The Stone Age's Josh Homme, kicked off proceedings at the O2 Academy Brixton, surprising many crowd members who had arrived at the venue early.

Taking the stage to loud applause the trio - joined by guitarist Alain Johannes - opened their heavy rock set with Homme offering a simple, "Hello".

With Homme on lead vocals, the band played songs including 'Elephant', which they have posted online, and a host of new efforts.

"We're very excited to be with you tonight," Homme, who co-produced the headliners' new album 'Humbug', told the crowd. "We're a new band, we're going to play a lot of new music tonight, we hope you enjoy it!"

Moving on to 'Gunman', Homme paused midway through the song to encourage the then-full venue to make the most of the British debut.

"You can do whatever you want tonight," he declared before pointing at a bouncer. "This guy works for me, he might be smiling but I'll fire his ass. If you want to dance, dance, you're supposed to have a good time."

Following 'Mind Eraser (No Chaser)', Jones switched from bass to keyboards for 'Caligula' while Grohl supplied backing vocals from behind his drum kit.

Them Crooked Vultures then dedicated 'Daffodils' to Arctic Monkeys to thank them for the slot. They ended their set with 'Nobody Loves Me And Neither Do I' - for which Jones played a sci-fi slide guitar - and an unnamed epic number to close.

"We've had a lovely time, we hope you did too," declared Homme. "See you at the party afterwards!"

Arctic Monkeys are now set play, warming up for their headlining appearance at the Reading And Leeds Festivals this weekend (August 28-30). Stay tuned to NME.COM for a full report.

Archived