JOHN PAUL JONES New Project

The Pagemeister

This update from Antiquiet was posted to their site just a few moments ago:

Them Crooked Vultures Take Flight

By Skwerl

Them Crooked Vultures took the stage right on time at midnight tonight at the Metro in Chicago. They blasted through a generous 80 minute set of powerful rock songs, which attendee Jasun compared to Queens Of The Stone Age "cranked to 40."

Them Crooked Vultures, just in case you aren't already aware, is the brand-new "supergroup" consisting of Josh Homme of Queens Of The Stone Age, Dave Grohl of Nirvana / Foo Fighters, and John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin.

Homme provided lead vocals, as many expected, though he was backed up by Grohl, as well as Alain Johannes, present for the full set, playing rhythm guitar. Two song titles were reported via Twitter: Elephants, and Scumbag Blues.

John Paul Jones lived up to his reputation as a multi-instrumentalist, playing a 12 string bass, electric keyboard, and even a keytar.

Some highlights from Twitter:

@jgorrell: Some of the most major riffage I've heard in years.

@trangelo: Holy shit… It blew my mind. This band is insanely good.

@LedZeppelinNews: My friend at show says, "Heavy, heavy, heavy."

@NC17: Some nice vocal harmonies and duos tonight. Grohl comfortable singing while drumming.

During the performance, the band's official site got a minor update, featuring a new animation and a t-shirt for sale. We'll have news soon on a headlining tour.

The Chicago Tribune August 10, 2009

Concert review: Them Crooked Vultures at Metro

by Greg Kot

The term “super group” gets thrown around way too often in rock, but in the case of Them Crooked Vultures, it applies.

The group consists of the Foo Fighters’ Dave Grohl on drums, Queens of the Stone Age’s Josh Homme on guitar, and Led Zeppelin’s John Paul Jones on bass and keyboards. The trio made its international debut and capped off Lollapalooza weekend in Chicago with a 75-minute performance that began at midnight Monday at a jam-packed Metro.

Grohl discussed his hopes for the group as many as four years ago, and the three have been working on an album in Los Angeles this year. But the music has been a mystery; none of the tracks has leaked on the Internet, and the group’s future plans are shrouded in secrecy. After debuting a dozen songs at Metro, the group made it very clear that it’s not only for real, but also has the chance to be the exception to the super-group rule. Most of these Frankenstein projects usually end up being less than the sum of their parts, but Crooked Vultures sounded like it was on to something fresh, invigorating and just plain nasty.

Grohl is in many ways the linchpin. One of the great drummers in rock, he was the man who put the wallop in Nirvana, and also anchored the finest Queens of the Stone Age album, “Songs for the Deaf” (2002). His work on this night was astonishing, a clinic in brute force and finesse that was exhilarating and exhausting to observe at close quarters.

Homme handled lead vocals and guitar, and was unusually clear-eyed and affable, playing with more precision than he usually musters in Queens. And Jones, whose music with Led Zeppelin is an obvious touchstone for both his bandmates, was a huge presence with his variety of four-, six- and eight-string basses, a match for Grohl’s power and a counterpoint for Homme’s melodies. The group was rounded out by Queens alumnus Alain Johannes on guitar.

The set’s foundation was hard rock and hard edges, with Jones and Grohl going toe-to-toe in the engine room. Homme played more with texture and layering sounds on his guitar, the first memorable riff showing up four songs into the set on “Dead End Friends.” His high vocals were often bolstered by harmonies from Grohl, Johannes and even Jones. There were a couple of red herrings: “Bandoliers”” flirted with tenderness (Homme introduced it as a love song) and “Interlude w/ Ludes” came off as a prank, with Jones on keytar and a shimmying Homme in lounge-crooner mode. Otherwise, it was wrecking ball time, with the arrangements sometimes taking several turns before resolving.

Two epic tracks stood out. “Daffodils,” which hinted at psychedelia with reverb effects on the vocals and a massive bass tone, was capped by a Jones piano solo. And “Warsaw” ebbed and flowed, winding down to a low-key guitar-bass exchange before building back up into a slamming finale.

History tells us that super groups usually don’t last very long. But at least this particular one is off to a rousing start.

Them Crooked Vultures set list at Metro:

Elephants

New Fang

Scumbag Blues

Dead End Friends

Bandoliers

Mind Eraser

Gunman

Daffodils

Interlude w/ Ludes

Caligulove

Warsaw

Nobodys Loves Me

Oh. My. God.

Unbelievable. I don't even have words to describe the show. Just absolutely rocking, kick ass songs. I had heard that reports were that it would be beats and sounds like you've never heard before, and while I didn't doubt it, I guess I didn't believe that it could actually be THAT different, but I'm here to tell you my friends, it was.

Very very hard rocking songs. I really don't know what else to compare it to. I am sure that there will be audio soon enough! All originals, no one else's tunes were played, and no guests played with them. They probably played an album's worth of songs. They were incredibly tight for their first time out. It looked like all of them were having a really good time up there, too. Which makes me think that they would HAVE to be playing more shows.

JPJ played about 100 instruments, including some kind of bass-harpsicord thing - I have never seen anything like it before. That dude ROCKS. Josh singing and guitar - on the mark. As my husband said to me about 100 times during the show, "Man, that guy just gets it." Dave was awesome and kicked the shit out of the drums. Lost a drumstick during one of the songs!! That other guitar guy was fantastic too.

They did not do an encore, and are probably still at the venue celebrating. We waited outside for awhile but my husband made me leave, which I'm still a little bit ticked about!! The security people we befriended told us that the band was up in the balcony with the VIPs. They had gone from ordering rounds of drinks to ordering bottles, so it looks like they will be there awhile. They have a 4 am liquor license there, so I'm sure they'll be partying 'til the wee hours.

"Chicago"

NME.com http://www.nme.com/news/nme/46586

Led Zeppelin, Foo Fighters, Queens Of The Stone Age supergroup make live debut

Dave Grohl, Josh Homme and John Paul Jones take to the stage in Chicago

August 10, 2009

The supergroup featuring members of Foo Fighters, Led Zeppelin and Queens Of The Stone Age made their live debut in the early hours of this morning (August 10).

Dave Grohl, John Paul Jones and Josh Homme's group, Them Crooked Vultures were due to take the stage at midnight (EST) at Chicago's Metro venue.

According to The Chicago Tribune, Grohl played drums, Homme took the guitar and vocals, while Jones was on bass and keyboards.

Them Crooked Vultures played:

'Elephants'

'New Fang'

'Scumbag Blues'

'Dead End Friends'

'Bandoliers'

'Mind Eraser'

'Gunman'

'Daffodils'

'Interlude w/ Ludes'

'Caligulove'

'Warsaw'

'Nobodys Loves Me'

Earlier the venue had confirmed that the gig kicked off by posting a marquee sign boasting Them Crooked Vultures as the sold-out show was about to start.

Blabbermouth.net

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermo...wsitemID=124993

THEM CROOKED VULTURES Debuts In Chicago: The First Review - Aug. 10, 2009

Jim DeRogatis of the Chicago Sun-Times reports: The best show by far of Lollapalooza 2009 really was part of Lollapalooza in name only: the after-show at Metro in the wee hours of Monday morning that marked the world premier of THEM CROOKED VULTURES, the new supergroup featuring Josh Homme of QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE, former NIRVANA drummer and current FOO FIGHTERS leader Dave Grohl and the legendary John Paul Jones of LED ZEPPELIN.

Sources said the band turned down the chance to replace the BEASTIE BOYS when they dropped off the Lollapalooza bill as Adam Yauch battled cancer; apparently, the new group preferred to make its debut in a much more intimate setting. (Instead of the potential crowd of 75,000 that would have seen the band in Grant Park, it played instead to 1,100 at Metro, mostly hardcore fans of Homme and Grohl lucky enough to get tickets after a fan club notification.)

Addressing the setting for this auspicious bow, Homme said, "We could have done this in L.A." As he pantomimed a well-endowed woman performing a rude sexual act, the crowd cheered wildly. "That's why came here!" he added. "We came to Chicago because we wanted to play Metro!"

Them Crooked Vultures at Metro

By Jim DeRogatis August 10, 2009 2:45 AM

Chicago Sun-Times

The best show by far of Lollapalooza 2009 really was part of Lollapalooza in name only: the after-show at Metro in the wee hours of Monday morning that marked the world premier of Them Crooked Vultures, the new supergroup featuring Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age, former Nirvana drummer and current Foo Fighters leader Dave Grohl and the legendary John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin.

Sources said the band turned down the chance to replace the Beastie Boys when they dropped off the Lollapalooza bill as Adam Yauch battled cancer; apparently, the new group preferred to make its debut in a much more intimate setting. (Instead of the potential crowd of 75,000 that would have seen the band in Grant Park, it played instead to 1,100 at Metro, mostly hardcore fans of Homme and Grohl lucky enough to get tickets after a fan club notification.)

Addressing the setting for this auspicious bow, Homme said, "We could have done this in L.A." As he pantomimed a well-endowed woman performing a rude sexual act, the crowd cheered wildly. "That's why came here!" he added. "We came to Chicago because we wanted to play Metro!"

During an amazing 12-song, 80-minute set, Them Crooked Vultures went on to prove it is one the rarest things in rock: a supergroup that not only deserves that appellation, but which actually is greater than the sum of its storied parts.

With second guitarist and occasional keyboardist Alain Johannes, another veteran of Queens of the Stone Age, augmenting the star trio, the heart of the sound owed a lot to that band's brand of hypnotic but intense stoner rock, as well as to the more spacey and bluesy sounds of Homme's earlier group, Kyuss. Grohl also played for a time with the Queens, after their third album, "Songs for the Deaf" (2002). But as great as that group has been at various points, Them Crooked Vultures take the sound to a whole new level.

Simply put, Jones has enhanced any musical setting he's ever graced with his classy and virtuosic presence, whether it's been producing the Butthole Surfers, performing in a trio with art-rocker Diamanda Galas or serving as the solid anchor that grounded his larger-than-life band mates in Zep. And as obsessive rock fans who grew up worshipping Jimmy Page and John Bonham, Homme and Grohl seemed thrilled to be standing onstage with one of their heroes, and they pushed themselves to new heights to prove that they deserved the honor.

One of the hardest-hitting percussionists of his generation, Grohl seemed even more intense in this setting than he'd been during his stint with the Queens, hammering his snare with both hands to create a massive backbeat, firing off rapid fire single-stroke rolls that made his single bass drum sound like two, and playing long and complicated fills between hi-hat, snare and rack tom without ever losing the songs' propulsive drive.

Indeed, the complexity of the arrangements in tunes such as "Elephants" and "Caligulove" bordered at times on progressive rock--both of the old-school Yes variety, and the more modern Tool flavor. But the fact that the quartet never lost that forward momentum or the essential gritty blues growl made the music more of a full-body hard-rock experience than a cerebral study in musicianship, even when Jones sat at the keyboard to add a lovely coda to "Daffodils," or moved from a six-string bass, to eight strings, to 10 strings and finally to a mystery instrument that resembled a strap-on lap steel guitar with a built-in digital screen.

Homme handled most of the lead vocals, though Grohl, Jones and Johannes all traded off on backing parts. As for the thematic concerns of the material--well, it's never been easy to discern what Homme is singing about onstage, and we'll just have to wait to figure that out until the group releases its debut album, "Never Deserved the Future," on Oct. 23.

If the Metro show was any indication, the disc should be a stunner. The band presumably played the entire album--there was no encore--and only one song fell flat: "Interlude w/ Ludes," an alien lounge tune that found Jones on keytar and Homme putting down his ax to slink around the stage like an unholy combination of Dean Martin and Tom Jones.

Them Crooked Vultures set list: "Elephants," "New Fang," "Scumbag Blues," "Dead End Friends," "Bandoliers," "Mind Eraser (No Chaser)," "Gunman," "Daffodils," "Interlude w/ Ludes," "Caligulove," "Warsaw," "Nobody Loves Me."

It is rumoured that the band will play Reading Festival (England), Pukkelpop (Netherlands) and Lowlands (Belgium).

On the website for Rock En Seine (paris) it says about a band called Les Petits Pois:

Derrière cet étrange pseudo - en français dans le texte - se cache une bande d’aventuriers, tous habitués des scènes rock internationales mais qui n’ont pas l’habitude d’y jouer ensemble.

Ce super-groupe taillé pour le live, dont l’identité devrait rester secrète jusqu’à son premier concert, fera de rares apparitions sur quelques festivals européens cet été.

Rock en Seine est l’escale française de ce projet mystérieux qui, d’après les maigres informations dont on dispose, devrait s’inscrire dans l’histoire du festival comme une énorme déflagration …

Basically a super group featuring musicians who are a big internationally who don't usually play together. The details will remain secret until after their first gig. They're playing several European festivals this summer. It will be remembered for a long time.

I'm pretty sure it's JPJ & co. I'm gonna have to go to this!

Oh. My. God.

Unbelievable. I don't even have words to describe the show. Just absolutely rocking, kick ass songs. I had heard that reports were that it would be beats and sounds like you've never heard before, and while I didn't doubt it, I guess I didn't believe that it could actually be THAT different, but I'm here to tell you my friends, it was.

Very very hard rocking songs. I really don't know what else to compare it to. I am sure that there will be audio soon enough! All originals, no one else's tunes were played, and no guests played with them. They probably played an album's worth of songs. They were incredibly tight for their first time out. It looked like all of them were having a really good time up there, too. Which makes me think that they would HAVE to be playing more shows.

JPJ played about 100 instruments, including some kind of bass-harpsicord thing - I have never seen anything like it before. That dude ROCKS. Josh singing and guitar - on the mark. As my husband said to me about 100 times during the show,"Man, that guy just gets it."Dave was awesome and kicked the shit out of the drums. Lost a drumstick during one of the songs!! That other guitar guy was fantastic too.

They did not do an encore, and are probably still at the venue celebrating. We waited outside for awhile but my husband made me leave, which I'm still a little bit ticked about!! The security people we befriended told us that the band was up in the balcony with the VIPs. They had gone from ordering rounds of drinks to ordering bottles, so it looks like they will be there awhile. They have a 4 am liquor license there, so I'm sure they'll be partying 'til the wee hours.

"Chicago"

I am going to kill the next person who says that, about anybody, doing anything. :D

Apart from that, though, this all sounds very promising, not least because it's NOT packed with Zep material. Looking forward to a chance to hear them!

I am going to kill the next person who says that, about anybody, doing anything. :D

Apart from that, though, this all sounds very promising, not least because it's NOT packed with Zep material. Looking forward to a chance to hear them!

I also like that they didn't play any older material from any of their collective groups. Let the new music shine on it's own.

I also like that they didn't play any older material from any of their collective groups. Let the new music shine on it's own.

Agreed. I'm more excited about hearing new music than the Zeppelin stuff being repeated to death. Also Josh Homme is a very different guitarist and singer to Page and Plant.

Apart from that, though, this all sounds very promising, not least because it's NOT packed with Zep material.Looking forward to a chance to hear them!

Did you really think it would be?

Apart from that, though, this all sounds very promising, not least because it's NOT packed with Zep material.Looking forward to a chance to hear them!

Did you really think it would be?

Hi, Steve. I thought a Foo Fighters song and a Led Zeppelin song for the encore was to be expected. Not having an encore was very clever of them indeed.

Archived