how many of you actually saw zepp in concert and when{pre 1980 only}

ledbagelz

Not a contest, but so far I might be earlyist ; December 28, 1968 Vancouver. They were an unbilled warm up band for Vanilla Fudge.

Again in Edmonton, July 1969. Vanilla Fudge played first.

Okay, not a contest BUT.......

The Marquee Club Oct 18th 1968

My girlfriend and I were working the (coffee) bar at the first London gig -I think 2nd UK- still called "The New YaRdbiRdS" to fulfill contractual requirements.

Also

Marquee December 10th '68

and

March 28th '69

and

March 23rd '71

I was at Art College 3 streets away and worked 2/3 night a week

It meant putting up with some real **** stuff though.

Yes every week for 9 months

If I'm not the earliest , then I bet I know the others.

Started off seeing The YaRdbiRds when Eric joined .

I'm well lucky , me B)

But old

Okay, not a contest BUT.......

The Marquee Club Oct 18th 1968

My girlfriend and I were working the (coffee) bar at the first London gig -I think 2nd UK- still called "The New YaRdbiRdS" to fulfill contractual requirements.

Also

Marquee December 10th '68

and

March 28th '69

and

March 23rd '71

I was at Art College 3 streets away and worked 2/3 night a week

It meant putting up with some real **** stuff though.

Yes every week for 9 months

If I'm not the earliest , then I bet I know the others.

Started off seeing The YaRdbiRds when Eric joined .

I'm well lucky , me B)

But old

No way !!! Fuckin' alright !!!! This is great....tell more please !!

Not being one of the lucky few who got to attend the reunion this week, has had me thinking back to being a 14 year old and going to my first gig, which just happened to be at Knebworth on the 11th August 1979, I remember it being a lovely hot day (at least I think it was) & being excited at going to my first gig with a mate & his Dad, and yet at the same time being a little daunted as I'd never seen so many people in one place which made it kind of scary. I loved Southside Johnny, Todd Rundgren & even Chas & Dave (I know!!!!) Neither Commander Cody or the New Barbarians did anything for me, but it was just a great day all leading up to the main attraction and when Zep came on & played for 3 hours I was just blown away, I just enjoyed every second of it and it all just seemed to fly by. Thats 28 years ago now and I've got less hair which is also greying, but the memories are still nice, but whats more I can relive it by listening to the great sounboard recording & DVD's that are available.

Graham

Yes Aloha ~ I saw Led Zeppelin once, when they were performing Led Zeppelin II in Hawaii,

I believe it was the same show that 'Joelmon' saw at the Civic Auditorium, on September 21, 1971.

A young lady of 13, rocking out to perhaps the best show I ever saw! Although around that same

time, Jethro Tull came to town and performed Aqualung! OMG! These are two of my favorite live

shows of all time! I was also fortunate enough to have the opportunity to see Stevie Ray Vaughn

perform with Bryan Adams and the Police at the football stadium in Hawaii, I believe that was

in '84....oooh the memories.....back when I was in the fourth grade I got to see the Beatles and Paul

Revere and the Raiders....that was in Tennessee...Bruce Springsteen's 'the River Tour' was also a

very special show! I don't go to any live shows anymore though...but was busy as a youngster going

to as many as I could....there I go, rambling down memory lane .....

Peace to All! ; )

Yes Aloha ~ I saw Led Zeppelin once, when they were performing Led Zeppelin II in Hawaii,

I believe it was the same show that 'Joelmon' saw at the Civic Auditorium, on September 21, 1971.

A young lady of 13, rocking out to perhaps the best show I ever saw! Although around that same

time, Jethro Tull came to town and performed Aqualung! OMG! These are two of my favorite live

shows of all time! I was also fortunate enough to have the opportunity to see Stevie Ray Vaughn

perform with Bryan Adams and the Police at the football stadium in Hawaii, Peace to All! ; )

Really ? !!! Too cool !

You'd be the first I've ever met who was there too, other than my friend that attended with me. They played in '69 (Civic) and '70 (H.I.C. now Blaisdell) there too ! '71 was actually showcasing the new, yet to be released, 4th album...but they played several from II as well......

BTW...I lived right out near where Aloha Stadium was built !! Welcome to the forums !!! :)

I want to so badly to see Zep Live but I have seen Robert Plant Twice

1st was the Manic Nirvana Tour Sept? I have to check the ticket but Wow what a show at the very moment that the band started to play "Going To California" the crowd just stood on the back of the bleacher floor seats and stayed there for just about the entire song with lighters flowing it was amazing and the second time was the Strange Sensation It was amzing too but just not the same level of intesity in the crowd but it was due to the very small crowd but I think the ticket price was the problem with the low turn out but half the set was all my fav Zep tunes.

I pray that they decide to tour again and who knows release some new material?

Hello there,

I saw Zepp twice in 1980: Frankfurt and Mannheim/Germany

Cheers, queen :)

Lucky I have a boot from that era and it was a shame too because the show I have is the last one before Bonzo's untimely passing what a shame because I think Zep could have outlasted the stones and still break records.

can you imagine if John were still with us what he'd think of today's kit and tech and how he'd love to drum along side Jason. i don't mean to be depressed sounding. i am just thinking what if...

god bless John B i still miss him.....he'd still be one powerful drummer to this day.

i saw LZ for the first time like three nights in a row Jan 69 in San Francisco and got to stand right up next to the stage arms on the stage to hold on (no security at this time at least) .....i was 12 and remember watchng John with total amazment. of course never had seen anything like that . one of those bonzo drum solos up close and they blew us away literally the vibes shook our clothes! :). \wish i knew to ask technical questions at that time. darn!!!! i guess just getting blown away by the Zep was enough explanation at 12.

but i said before, Jason was the glue of the band on Dec 10th. he was amazing, he definitely made the night that much more powerful... just wish i could have been as close up as i was to see his father..(or even at the concert at all!!! ) hey i'm happy with the clips i've seen tho' hope to see a DVD soon. maybe in time for valentines day.

can you imagine if John were still with us what he'd think of today's kit and tech and how he'd love to drum along side Jason. i don't mean to be depressed sounding. i am just thinking what if...

god bless John B i still miss him.....he'd still be one powerful drummer to this day.

He's still probably watching over us and his son from up there somewhere. He must be mighty proud of Jason ;)

just wondering ....how many of you zeppites actually saw them..........

All shows in Denver

12/26/68 - Auditorium Arena (about 5k seats) First US performance. Opened for Vanilla Fudge and someone I am forgetting A fast set - 20 minues for an audience unfaimiliar with them. Page had a Telecaster and they used Rickenbacker amps.

3-25-70 - Denver Coliseum

6/21/72 - Same venue as above. A spectacular show on pretty much all levels. I believe they played one or two songs from "Houses Of The Holy" for the first time at this show. Acoustic set in the middle and a playing time of close to 3 hours.

5/25/73 - same venue as above. Last time they played Denver with the original lineup as far as I know.

After what was supposed to be the 1980 tour, there were rumors that a Denver show had been booked where promoters planned to make a single announcment on the radio with tickets going on sale within a couple of minutes afterwards.

• 2 weeks later...

i can't recall what the date was but it was like 68 or 69 one of the first times the zep were in the states. they were playing san francisco. i was really young (12 yrs old at the 69 shows) but was able to tag along with my brother to concerts. my best friend and i were walking along the back stage left and looking for restrooms..but it was the door to the backstage area we were walking by. Janis Joplin came out and said "hey Jimmy come out here and see your female twin" or your "female version of you" can't remember exact words i was pretty astounded at the time! he came and ducked his head out and stood for a moment or so we all laughed....i guess she thought we looked alike LOL

all these years later i remember that comment...haven't thought of the event since.

All shows in Denver

12/26/68 - Auditorium Arena (about 5k seats) First US performance. Opened for Vanilla Fudge and someone I am forgetting A fast set - 20 minues for an audience unfaimiliar with them. Page had a Telecaster and they used Rickenbacker amps.

Well that's the 2nd earliest show I've seen someone posting that they'd attended !! Fantastic !

And ally...I also saw a July '69 show ! You may be the first I've noticed posting that ! I love it....This new board has brought out many old timers who've seen the band in '69 ...and '68....a first in the 5 years I've been around....

:)

Well that's the 2nd earliest show I've seen someone posting that they'd attended !! Fantastic !

And ally...I also saw a July '69 show ! You may be the first I've noticed posting that ! I love it....This new board has brought out many old timers who've seen the band in '69 ...and '68....a first in the 5 years I've been around....

:)

Well I included July 69 but it would be more accurate to say that my buddies and I HEARD them. We were pretty young at the time and had been at the old roller rink that used to be on the PNE grounds. The Agrodome was also on those same grounds and a stones throw away. What we got to hear was the sound check from outside the arena. Pretty cool for a 12yr old. There had to be a good 50 or so kids there that afternoon. I wonder if anyone else on the forum was present that day?

Well I included July 69 but it would be more accurate to say that my buddies and I HEARD them. We were pretty young at the time and had been at the old roller rink that used to be on the PNE grounds. The Agrodome was also on those same grounds and a stones throw away. What we got to hear was the sound check from outside the arena. Pretty cool for a 12yr old. There had to be a good 50 or so kids there that afternoon. I wonder if anyone else on the forum was present that day?

I was 12 also....

Isn't it great though....I went with my 14 y.o. friend and it wasn't a big deal..as far as two kids going alone. Shit...I remember that same year, 6th grade, being able to leave the school campus for lunch...no supervision and no restriction where we went. I'd typically go across the street to a diner. But still.....nowadays schools are nearly 100% lockdown or fenced !! There's no more danger now, just more coverage of the bad events when they do happen.

The show I saw was sparcely attended...there'd been an announcement they wou'dn't play..be us two youngun's stuck it out...and then faced the wrath of my parents for being so damned late !! Way after midnight !! :lol:

I was 12 also....

Isn't it great though....I went with my 14 y.o. friend and it wasn't a big deal..as far as two kids going alone. Shit...I remember that same year, 6th grade, being able to leave the school campus for lunch...no supervision and no restriction where we went. I'd typically go across the street to a diner. But still.....nowadays schools are nearly 100% lockdown or fenced !! There's no more danger now, just more coverage of the bad events when they do happen.

The show I saw was sparcely attended...there'd been an announcement they wou'dn't play..be us two youngun's stuck it out...and then faced the wrath of my parents for being so damned late !! Way after midnight !! :lol:

Well going to the Mar 21/70 show was my real indocturnation. Only reason I got to go to that was because some of my friends older brothers were supposed to keep an eye on me. HA HA. IT was reserved seating for that show and of course... they went to the floor with they're cassette recorder and accessories. I went to the seats, stage left. Didn't touch a thing in those day's. But I'll alway's remember the grilling I got when I came home.

Have to agree about the school situation at present. Very sad. Glad my kids are finished high school!

:rolleyes:

I danced with the devil in 71/ 73 i was a dance "performer " at the time and first danced with them onstage in sunderland though i doubt they remember me as they were not on this planet at the time.

Hey I'd love to hear more!

i can't recall what the date was but it was like 68 or 69 one of the first times the zep were in the states. they were playing san francisco. i was really young (12 yrs old at the 69 shows) but was able to tag along with my brother to concerts. my best friend and i were walking along the back stage left and looking for restrooms..but it was the door to the backstage area we were walking by. Janis Joplin came out and said "hey Jimmy come out here and see your female twin" or your "female version of you" can't remember exact words i was pretty astounded at the time! he came and ducked his head out and stood for a moment or so we all laughed....i guess she thought we looked alike LOL

all these years later i remember that comment...haven't thought of the event since.

i know this sounds so unremarkable now but back then it was an incredible experience to be up so close to at that time i thought of them as "idols" :)

Archived