how many of you actually saw zepp in concert and when{pre 1980 only}

ledbagelz

just wondering ....how many of you zeppites actually saw them..........

HI

I saw them twice, the first time was Dec.28 1968, at the Coliseum in Vancouver B.C.

My friend and I were 16 at the time and we had never heard of them before, of course when we left the concert we were blown away.. I then saw them again March 21 1970, at the Coliseum in Vancouver, it was even better, what I remember most was Jimmy using the violin bow on his guitar..

Great memories.....

• 2 weeks later...

Was at the first Knebworth show, camping on site. My main memory is the Violin bow section complete with the laser beams which was awesome at the time.

Applied for tickets for the 02, unfortunately I was unsuccessful. I too am praying for a tour.

Really into LZ again at the moment and I've just ordered the Knebworth show on DVD which I'm really looking forward to seeing again.

Was at the first Knebworth show, camping on site. My main memory is the Violin bow section complete with the laser beams which was awesome at the time.

Applied for tickets for the 02, unfortunately I was unsuccessful. I too am praying for a tour.

Really into LZ again at the moment and I've just ordered the Knebworth show on DVD which I'm really looking forward to seeing again.

I'm glad you brought that up. I just downloaded from a torrent the Knebworth Show.....its in 3- 500MB MPG files.....the quality is actually pretty good. It is obviously the Aug 11th show......Plant refers to "last week" during the show a few times that gives away which show. I want the Aug 4th show. It must be the better show in some ways. It's obvious in Achilles Last Stand especially that Jimmy must have used the Aug 4th show to make the DVD he released in 2003. Can I get some help here?....what's the DVD that you just say you ordered?? I've seen it actually on Amazon and various places....but would like a little help getting the very best quality and the correct show I'm looking for.......I'll appreciate the feedback.......thanks in advance. I'm not a big bootlegger.......I just love to watch them so much.....JR

I'm glad you brought that up. I just downloaded from a torrent the Knebworth Show.....its in 3- 500MB MPG files.....the quality is actually pretty good. It is obviously the Aug 11th show......Plant refers to "last week" during the show a few times that gives away which show. I want the Aug 4th show. It must be the better show in some ways. It's obvious in Achilles Last Stand especially that Jimmy must have used the Aug 4th show to make the DVD he released in 2003. Can I get some help here?....what's the DVD that you just say you ordered?? I've seen it actually on Amazon and various places....but would like a little help getting the very best quality and the correct show I'm looking for.......I'll appreciate the feedback.......thanks in advance. I'm not a big bootlegger.......I just love to watch them so much.....JR

JR, I've ordered my copy from a japanese site. This is the full show. Suppliers are not that hard to find on the net. The Amazon DVD is incomplete but it is still pretty good.

Leave your e mail address and I'll send you the details.

I was blown away just like you....maybe in two ways :rolleyes: ......they "rocked" Mobile, AL like it was Madison Square Garden.....or any other larger venue. They were truely passionate about putting on a good show. It was no wonder that no other bands wanted to play anywhere around those guys. What other band has carried an awsome reputation like that?? So damn good that you needed to be the only show!!!....and a band that specifically stayed away from writing and playing for top 40 radio. NOBODY has laid a path like them.

JR

Absolutely....their integrity was incredible !

I saw Zeppelin at their best in a 10,000 seat arena , and larger....

:rolleyes: Saw them in Cincinnati, Ohio April '77. Were squeezed in like sardines on the floor, but got the whole Zepp experience---Pagey's guitar versatility including the Gibson double-neck and bow solo; Plant's harmonious vocal instrument at it's high-edged peak; JPJ's as the stylish, English gentleman with his musically complimentary base beat and other-worldly organ. And finally Bonzo's "Moby Dick" - Flaming Gong finale and all. AWESOME!!!!

AND THEY HAVEN'T LOST A THING!

Steve Weiss?

This is the first I've heard that Mick & Keef were set to jam. I'll have to ask around on

the Stones sites I frequent. They were definately in town and had been hanging out

with Zep on their nights off in NYC.

Steve, I might have asked you this before but, when Zep and the Stones were both in town, they used to frequent clubs up in Harlem - do you know the names of those clubs? There were some really fine jazz clubs up there and I wonder if that is where they went. There were also clubs down in the Village where they were seen as well.

Steve, I might have asked you this before but, when Zep and the Stones were both in town, they used to frequent clubs up in Harlem - do you know the names of those clubs? There were some really fine jazz clubs up there and I wonder if that is where they went. There were also clubs down in the Village where they were seen as well.

Yes, some of this has already been covered in my Zeppelin Mysteries thread and some of the specifics outlined. Even so, the names of the clubs they visited in Harlem have yet to be confirmed.

Yes, some of this has already been covered in my Zeppelin Mysteries thread and some of the specifics outlined. Even so, the names of the clubs they visited in Harlem have yet to be confirmed.

I do remember the original discussion (I might have posed the question myself). I have an idea of what clubs they may have visited but it would be speculation to name them here. Thanks for confirming that the names have yet to be confirmed. :beer:

I do remember the original discussion (I might have posed the question myself). I have an idea of what clubs they may have visited but it would be speculation to name them here. Thanks for confirming that the names have yet to be confirmed. :beer:

Just like the alledged jam, it's something that'll probably come to light from Charlie Watts

or Mick. Keith and Ronnie's memories often prove too unreliable. If Bill Wyman was there

he'd definately know. That guy chronicles EVERYTHING. I shall try to contact him.

In the Village I might guess Max's Kansas City.

I believe they did visit Max's Kansas City in the very early 70s (it's in one of my books somewhere and the writer made reference to Jimmy's beard, heh) but Max's wasn't a jazz club, it was more an artist's and rock musician's hangout. The Warhol entourage practically lived in the back room.

All I know about the trip to Harlem is the incident where John Bonham allegedly pretended to fire a gun at Mick Jagger's limo because he wanted to travel in it.

I believe they did visit Max's Kansas City in the very early 70s (it's in one of my books somewhere and the writer made reference to Jimmy's beard, heh) but Max's wasn't a jazz club, it was more an artist's and rock musician's hangout. The Warhol entourage practically lived in the back room.

All I know about the trip to Harlem is the incident where John Bonham allegedly pretended to fire a gun at Mick Jagger's limo because he wanted to travel in it.

Thanks for confirming that, Baroness. Yes, Max's is downtown (not a jazz club up in Harlem) and you're right about the type of venue that it was back in the day. My husband worked there, part-time, in the mid to late 70's, when he was in college. If Jimmy had a beard when he was at Max's, he would have been there in '71. It was a great place to hang out near and watch the rockers and artists.

Thanks for confirming that, Baroness. Yes, Max's is downtown (not a jazz club up in Harlem) and you're right about the type of venue that it was back in the day. My husband worked there, part-time, in the mid to late 70's, when he was in college. If Jimmy had a beard when he was at Max's, he would have been there in '71. It was a great place to hang out near and watch the rockers and artists.

Found the info. It's from Robert Godwin's Press Reports book (well, it originally appeared in a September 1970 edition of Disc magazine but was reproduced in the Press Reports):

New Look - New York Zeppelin

Led Zeppelin were in New York this week, having to cancel some concert dates due to the death of John Paul Jones' father. Robert Plant and Jimmy Page both came into Max's Kansas City one night quite late... both sporting new beards and Jimmy Page with short hair!

Robert Godwin, Press Reports, pg 141

I know they occasionally visited a club called Nobody's when in New York, as well as Club 82, which had a policy that all gender must be subverted (men had to dress as women and vice-versa). I've often wondered whether this was the reason they dragged up for the photos that eventually found their way onto the cover of Physical Graffiti. I believe those pictures were taken in New York. Over to Steve's Mystery thread I think! :D

As I put in my intro, I saw Zep play at the Hard Rock Centre, Manchester, UK in 1972. I was 16 at the time and it made a helluva impact on me. Until recently, it's been difficult to articulate to younger folk just what it was like to see Zep then. The live DVD has helped in that regard and I'm sure it's resulted in a whole new breed of young folk getting the Zep bug.

I saw LZ in Munich, July 7th 1980. A outstanding perform. The crowd in the "Olympia Halle" freak the hell out.

Any chance you saw or heard about Jimmy & Robert joining Foreigner onstage in Munich sometime in March/April 1982? I believe it was at the Sporthalle. They'd flown in to relax

and decided to do the jam.

Baltimore Civic Center 1973.

Nice venue been to a few shows there Frank Zappa,Bob Seger,Blue Oyster Cult,Rainbow,UFO,Blackfoot,

plus e few more One of my ships went through an overhaul at Maryland Shipbuilding and Dry Dock.

We lived in the Lord Baltimore Hotel for over a year.Stayed in Baltimore about 18 months.Hammerjacks

rocks

As I put in my intro, I saw Zep play at the Hard Rock Centre, Manchester, UK in 1972. I was 16 at the time and it made a helluva impact on me. Until recently, it's been difficult to articulate to younger folk just what it was like to see Zep then. The live DVD has helped in that regard and I'm sure it's resulted in a whole new breed of young folk getting the Zep bug.

Not the best ever recording of a 72 show. :blink:

I saw Zep on April 30, 1977 - Pontiac Silverdome. I have some words and images on my website here: Pontiac Silverdome!

Was a moment that I will never forget!

Bruce the Buckeye

http://www.ledzeppelin.ws

Hi Bruce Your site has helped me quite a bit over the years glad to put a face to the site.

thanks my friend .I was at the pontiac show also .

Archived