What is "Anniversary" about?

Bluefluff

Ohmygod! "just" a divorce? I understand now the "I can't stand your kiss" but strangely I thought it is about a world aniversary like...Hiroshima...ohmy.gif

Poor Robert must have felt really horrible then...like a "Supergau" in his heart...cry.gif

• 2 weeks later...

The song is about Robert's divorce... with Maureen!

It's a sad song...

The "aniversary" is suposed to be the "birthday" of the divorce...

(I hope I'm making any sense)

It isn't about the break-up of Robert's marriage, but of a subsequent relationship.

It isn't about the break-up of Robert's marriage, but of a subsequent relationship.

Ahh cool - thanks! I couldn't remember what specifically it was about but I do remember I think on the old board it was mentioned that it was not about his marriage ending. Which makes sense if you listen to the lyrics :)

Good to see you here :beer:

• 4 weeks later...

Some of you seem to know A LOT... What's "She Said" all about? I remember I've read somewhere it was about Robert's bitter divorce

I've never read that in regards to the song but my interpretation would be about a relationship that didn't work out (don't sense it's about Maureen though).

I think that 'She Said' is a cryptic song. It leaves you to wonder. He probably laughs when everyone comes up with a different interpretation of it, and he probably has his own. He'll probably never tell us what he meant. It's more fun to keep us guessing.

'Women in houses - I can't deal with their heat', to me indicates that he may be more socialized to women in familiar environments such as concert halls, hotels, airports, pubs, soccer stadiums, offices and so on, rather than in domestic situations where they sometimes explode, become strangely unglued, and behave in a manner that he finds unfamiliar. So he retreats to places where the women are easier for him to relate to, like recording studios.

So far as I know he has never attributed it to anyone in particular. He did say "ten men are standing with their back to the wall..throw gold in the hole...etc" is a general observation that men will ultimately do anything just to just buy peace with women. Eloquent way of saying "get them off their back".

As a by the way, his divorce was amicable. Unfortunately, if you read Led Zeppelin boards long enough you can be mislead by others who seem to insist every song he wrote was inspired in some way by that experience.

And if you read this board long enough you can be misled into thinking that Steve knows everything. When in fact, since he knows neither Robert nor Maureen, he is in no position to make declarations such as "his divorce was amicable". They are certainly great friends now, but few divorces happen without stress and strain, and theirs was no different. A few of his songs WERE inspired by it - certainly most of The Principle of Moments and some of Shaken n Stirred. He writes about his life - but of course not all of his songs about romance and the break-down of romance are about Maureen - he's had lots of relationships.

And if you read this board long enough you can be misled into thinking that Steve knows everything. When in fact, since he knows neither Robert nor Maureen, he is in no position to make declarations such as "his divorce was amicable". They are certainly great friends now, but few divorces happen without stress and strain, and theirs was no different. A few of his songs WERE inspired by it - certainly most of The Principle of Moments and some of Shaken n Stirred. He writes about his life - but of course not all of his songs about romance and the break-down of romance are about Maureen - he's had lots of relationships.

In other words, what I posted is correct.

Archived