DVD O2 news?

hawaiigor

:huh: Er I'm just making a comment - I didn't make the decision.

I know, I just think that after nearly 2 years and "endless speculation" the dvd should be released.

It's probably going to take 10 years. When it does happen, I hope they scan the crowd, and maybe I can see myself, so I can remember that I was there!! :slapface:

• 3 weeks later...

lol no? you people are missing the picture here . page has the time now to work on it . hes done with it might get loud. I bet hes getting the footage . it seems most of the things are negative here on the forums. Gotta stay positive mates! it will be released . they didnt film it for no reason .

I don't want to rain on anybody's parade but I don't think the o2 performance is going to be officially released anytime soon. Obviously Jimmy, Robert, and JPJ would have to agree to release it and IMHO I just don't see Robert being onboard with it. Look at it this way...would Robert want to release, and immortalize, what is likely to be the last Zeppelin performance and while a great concert to many showcases his reduced vocal range and capacity? He's obviously going to want to release his best work recorded when Zep was at the peak of their playing ability and his vocal range was intact. That's pretty much what they did with their last DVD...compiled the best they had and put it out. Robert believes, and one would have to agree, that he sang Zeppelin best when he was a young man and that's where he wants to leave it and as much as I would like to see an O2 DVD, and new material, and a tour I understand his point.

I don't want to rain on anybody's parade but I don't think the o2 performance is going to be officially released anytime soon. Obviously Jimmy, Robert, and JPJ would have to agree to release it and IMHO I just don't see Robert being onboard with it. Look at it this way...would Robert want to release, and immortalize, what is likely to be the last Zeppelin performance and while a great concert to many showcases his reduced vocal range and capacity? He's obviously going to want to release his best work recorded when Zep was at the peak of their playing ability and his vocal range was intact. That's pretty much what they did with their last DVD...compiled the best they had and put it out. Robert believes, and one would have to agree, that he sang Zeppelin best when he was a young man and that's where he wants to leave it and as much as I would like to see an O2 DVD, and new material, and a tour I understand his point.

what gives you such great insight into Robert's mind? has he ever publicly stated his disappointment with the 02 show, or for that matter his "reduced vocal range and capacity"? I don't think so. Why do you come here and try to make Robert look bad? Dvd's releases are a group decision and none of us are privy to the conversations between the members so why point the finger at any one person. sorry to rain on your parade but I believe you don't know what you are talking about.

I would give my left nut for an official 02 dvd.

Will it happen or won't it. There is no way for me to know. I know they filmed it and I can only hope that someday someone puts it together.

I have some excellent footage of the "queue" and everyone who waited overnight. Interviews with reporters, and the cheif of security giving everyone the "lowdown" on the rules for inside. It is awesome footage which will be offered to JP if he ever decides to do something with it. when I watch it, it reminds me of Peter Grant busting the bootleggers at MSG in the song remains the same movie. Similar but the head of security was a really nice guy. Grant was not if you got in his way or ripped off his band.

If you were in the queue pm me.

I might have some vid of you.

I have a gut feeling that Page is working on something Zep releated. Usually when things get quiet like this for a while, something pops up thereafter. It was the same deal when the 2003 DVD came out. There were rumors of Page working on something and a year or two later-we got our balls blown off by the release of the greatest footage ever. So I would expect that too happen again soon. Page isn't getting any younger and he seems to be the one that dedicates the most time to any Zep releases that are worth preserving. If it's the DVD or not, nobody knows, but something will happen soon. I just have that feeling....

Why are you assuming it's Robert who is the one vetoing an official release of the concert? We have no idea what's behind their decision not to release it and it's pointless to speculate or point fingers with no concrete facts behind it.

Why are you assuming it's Robert who is the one vetoing an official release of the concert? We have no idea what's behind their decision not to release it and it's pointless to speculate or point fingers with no concrete facts behind it.

I'm not saying Robert is putting the kibosh on any future o2 DVD release...I'm saying that if I was Robert that is what I would do because vocally IMO he's much better presented in previous works...notably those released on the 2003 DVD. As far as it being pointless to speculate... isn't that what the forum is about...speculation, conversation about the band, and opinions regardless of the popularity of them? C'mon lighten up! Robert has shown a reluctance for well over 20 years to "dabble" in any way with the Zeppelin legacy. In fact he has said many times publicly that he wants to move past it...that Zeppelin was a time in his life and that time is long over now.

what gives you such great insight into Robert's mind? has he ever publicly stated his disappointment with the 02 show, or for that matter his "reduced vocal range and capacity"? I don't think so. Why do you come here and try to make Robert look bad? Dvd's releases are a group decision and none of us are privy to the conversations between the members so why point the finger at any one person. sorry to rain on your parade but I believe you don't know what you are talking about.

What gives me insight into Roberts mind is reading the interviews he's given over the last 28 years. I think the o2 show was great and I'm not saying or trying to imply that Robert was not happy with it or that his performance was any less than great. What I'm saying is that I don't believe he will choose that show to be immortalized on DVD. It's not pointing fingers...you are looking at this as if it's black and white issue...release DVD good...not release DVD bad. But I don't believe it's that simple. Zeppelin is notoriously picky about what they will release. Maybe I'm wrong...I hope that I am! I would love to see the o2 show out on DVD. But my gut tells me it is not to be. Also I've been to quite a few shows that were recorded and subsequently never released even though they were great shows. Page & Plant in Hartford 1995 was one of them...great show... too bad it has never leaked out except for Black Dog.

Robert has shown a reluctance for well over 20 years to "dabble" in any way with the Zeppelin legacy.

That's a sweeping generalization that doesn't actually hold up under even modest scrutiny. From recording vocal tracks

for Coda, to performing with Page & Jones at Live Aid and eventually incorporating Led Zeppelin material in his solo tour

performances, Robert has shown a willingness to dabble, if not embrace the legacy, while still moving forward artistically.

That's a sweeping generalization that doesn't actually hold up under even modest scrutiny. From recording vocal tracks

for Coda, to performing with Page & Jones at Live Aid and eventually incorporating Led Zeppelin material in his solo tour

performances, Robert has shown a willingness to dabble, if not embrace the legacy, while still moving forward artistically.

I don't agree. Obviously he's fiercely proud of his work with Zep and embraces the legacy...I don't disagree with that...but he's been adamant about not doing a Zeppelin reunion other than the one O2 show. He's been extremely conservative about using Zep numbers in his acts. Live Aid is something he said he was persuaded to do only for charity. Remember all the rabid speculation about a tour after Live Aid? He was the last to get onboard for the o2 and said that was only for Ahmet. So I think it does hold up. By dabble I mean anything to directly affect the Zeppelin legacy such as a new album, tour, book, whatever. Sure they've done things individually and sometimes used a little Zeppelin material but collaboration as Led Zeppelin happened only the one time at the O2.

I don't agree. Obviously he's fiercely proud of his work with Zep and embraces the legacy...I don't disagree with that...but he's been adamant about not doing a Zeppelin reunion other than the one O2 show. He's been extremely conservative about using Zep numbers in his acts. Live Aid is something he said he was persuaded to do only for charity. Remember all the rabid speculation about a tour after Live Aid? He was the last to get onboard for the o2 and said that was only for Ahmet. So I think it does hold up. By dabble I mean anything to directly affect the Zeppelin legacy such as a new album, tour, book, whatever. Sure they've done things individually and sometimes used a little Zeppelin material but collaboration as Led Zeppelin happened only the one time at the O2.

I'm not interested in a semantic argument which is what this becomes when you start splitting hairs as done here instead of further supporting your sweeping generalization that Robert Plant has shown "reluctance to dabble in Led Zeppelin". As a by the way, Robert Plant was not "the last to get onboard for the 02", in point of fact it was he who

was approached by Mica Ertegun and proposed an event in London, having opted not to participate in the New York

event. This concept evolved into a full Led Zeppelin concert.

I'm not interested in a semantic argument which is what this becomes when you start splitting hairs as done here instead of further supporting your sweeping generalization that Robert Plant has shown "reluctance to dabble in Led Zeppelin". As a by the way, Robert Plant was not "the last to get onboard for the 02", in point of fact it was he who

was approached by Mica Ertegun and proposed an event in London, having opted not to participate in the New York

event. This concept evolved into a full Led Zeppelin concert.

I'm not arguin...just conversatin! I stand corrected on my o2 comment. Thanks!

but he's been adamant about not doing a Zeppelin reunion other than the one O2 show.

So what? He's not obligated to do nothing but the beat the drum of his past career just because someone, somewhere may think if he doesn't, he has a problem with it.

Would those 4-5 years he spent playing almost exclusively Zeppelin material with Page qualify as "dabbling" per chance?

Hi. No it doesn't because my comment concerning "dabbling" was about the Led Zeppelin legacy...not about playing the material. The 4-5 years of touring with Page was done as "Page & Plant" not Led Zeppelin. The O2 show was billed as and indeed was Led Zeppelin reformed (as muc as it could be anyway). IMO that show will not be officially released because I think they would rather not emphasize that last show. And like I said before I hope that I am completely wrong and that it will be released!

Archived