what would happen if Bonham didn't die that night?

zeppelincheetah

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Here are some scenarios:

1) they tour America in 80. they go on to make another album that's released in 1981 that has a heavy sound. Jimmy Page dies from overdose in 1982.

2) Bonzo dies during the American tour in 80 from alcohol poisoning

3) they tour America in 80, make the album in 1981, then release studio albums in 1984, 1989 and 1991 and a live album in 1986 then they just fade out. Bonham and JPJ encourage Plant and Page to end the band. By 1991 nobody takes them seriously anymore and their sound is washed out. The 1981 album is very heavy with punk elements to it and is almost universally regarded as their last great album, the 1984 album has glam, new wave and ska elements and is a failure both commercially and critically, the 1989 one goes back to their blues roots for the first time in many years and is good, and their last album in 1991 where they experiment with thrash, grunge and hip hop is their worst.

add yours. I was sort of thinking like "The Time Machine" no matter what happens Led Zeppelin's fate is doomed

1) they tour America in 80. they go on to make another album that's released in 1981 that has a heavy sound. Jimmy Page dies from overdose in 1982.

3) they tour America in 80, make the album in 1981, then release studio albums in 1984, 1989 and 1991 and a live album in 1986 then they just fade out. Bonham and JPJ encourage Plant and Page to end the band. By 1991 nobody takes them seriously anymore and their sound is washed out. The 1981 album is very heavy with punk elements to it and is almost universally regarded as their last great album, the 1984 album has glam, new wave and ska elements and is a failure both commercially and critically, the 1989 one goes back to their blues roots for the first time in many years and is good, and their last album in 1991 where they experiment with thrash, grunge and hip hop is their worst.

add yours. I was sort of thinking like "The Time Machine" no matter what happens Led Zeppelin's fate is doomed

:blink::blink::blink::o

What a cheery person you are.

You need some antidepressants.

and their last album in 1991 where they experiment with thrash, grunge and hip hop is their worst.

LOL.

Anyhow, I remember Robert saying in an interview back in 75' that Zeppelin could go on for ever, and I truely believe that. I think they would have released the heavy album, as Jimmy Page mentioned, and continued to release great albums for at least another decade.

Are you serious? This is not at all what I believe would have happened. I have loved their music for 4 decades and hopefully will a few more. The 12 years they gave us is still amazing and I wished we could have had more.

ledded1 was right,you might want to try medication....

I believe it was SAJ who said Plant was Jimmy's greatest foil. If John Bonham had not met his fate, I could picture at least another 5-7 years of Led Zeppelin creating new groundbreaking music.

Just me throwing a dart at a board that didn't exist.

What would happen if John Bonham didn't die that night. Simple! In my opinion, Both Jimmy and Bonzo will have kicked heroin for good, LED ZEPPELIN would record and release many more great albums along with blessing us with more great tours that will take Rock n' Roll to new heights unimagined. But very importantly and most of all, LED ZEPPELIN would still be together to this very day! ROCK ON FOREVER!

I have said it many times but I really do believe that Jimmy might not have survived if the band had kept on going. I'm aware that at the time of his death Bonzo was attempting to kick the smack, however I don't know if Jimmy was the same?

Insane Zeppelin fans make a line to the left. Sane Zeppelin fans make a line to the right... not so fast Zeppelincheetah, move to the head of the line in the other direction. Thank yew!

Was always under the impression that He didn't try until before the ARMS tour in '83. Don't think he believed he had a problem or that it was so bad he needed to do something about it until 1983.

Yeah this is what I thought. The comments he has made in interviews since saying he didn't regret it because it didn't affect his playing make me laugh.

I have said it many times but I really do believe that Jimmy might not have survived if the band had kept on going. I'm aware that at the time of his death Bonzo was attempting to kick the smack, however I don't know if Jimmy was the same?

Hey "tom kid!" How are you doing man? I know what you are saying and I truly know where you are coming from. If we were back in the 1977 Tour and Karac Plant had lived, then I would have questioned if Jimmy would have finished out the rest of the tour at the rate that he was going. But then again, the mighty LED ZEPPELIN almost finished the entire 1977 tour which would have ended in August 1977

That is true "tom kid," Bonzo was trying to kick smack at the time he died, I cannot say that the same was the case for Jimmy, Jimmy was still using even after Bonzo died. Perhaps Jimmy was using continuously after Bonzo died because he could not handle or deal with Bonzo's death. Then again, that is just my opinion. I remember reading that after Bonzo died, that Jimmy did not even pick up the guitar for 6 months.

"tom kid," in my opinion, I kind of look at it this way: if all three surviving members are still alive today, and if Bonzo had lived, I would like to think that all 4 members would still be alive today and still be together as the mighty LED ZEPPELIN. How do you feel "tom kid?" Its been great talking to you again. You take care and ROCK ON FOREVER my friend!

I'm sure they would have made a few more records but I don't think they would have changed to much of there style of music, maybe a little bit of experimentation but not change.

Robert Plant (maybe the others to) would have done the solo stuff as he did after the band split and I'm sure they would have done a few after solo record's (as a back together band) too.

I'm sure they would have made a few more records but I don't think they would have changed to much of there style of music, maybe a little bit of experimentation but not change.

Robert Plant (maybe the others to) would have done the solo stuff as he did after the band split and I'm sure they would have done a few after solo record's (as a back together band) too.

Hey "BonzoLikeDrumer!" I hope all is well with you. I agree with you, it would be hard for the mighty LED ZEPPELIN to change anything musicwise, but ZEPPELIN should still stick to their own special trademark sound that they would forever be known for. As far as live performing goes, this is the area that ZEPPELIN would greatly improve over all bands throughout Rock n' Roll history. After all, LED ZEPPELIN is without a doubt, THE ALL-TIME GREATEST LIVE BAND THAT EVER LIVED! Take care and ROCK ON FOREVER my friend!

What would happen if John Bonham didn't die that night. Simple! In my opinion, Both Jimmy and Bonzo will have kicked heroin for good, LED ZEPPELIN would record and release many more great albums along with blessing us with more great tours that will take Rock n' Roll to new heights unimagined. But very importantly and most of all, LED ZEPPELIN would still be together to this very day! ROCK ON FOREVER!

:goodpost: My thoughts exactly!

Led Zeppelin has a tremendous influence on other bands and, consequently, other types of music.. if that had kept making music for as long as the OP said they might have then maybe we would have seen LZ nuances in other musical styles... and that would have shaped their hypothetical future albums as well. What we perceive as grunge and ska today may have been very different if LZ had continued making music as the original foursome. In addition, bands evolve with the times, yes, but I don't think they would have been as easily influenced by musical trends as the OP indicated.

Led Zeppelin has a tremendous influence on other bands and, consequently, other types of music.. if that had kept making music for as long as the OP said they might have then maybe we would have seen LZ nuances in other musical styles... and that would have shaped their hypothetical future albums as well. What we perceive as grunge and ska today may have been very different if LZ had continued making music as the original foursome. In addition, bands evolve with the times, yes, but I don't think they would have been as easily influenced by musical trends as the OP indicated.

Hello "Bustle In My Hedgerow!" How are you doing? How's Austin? I should know, I work up there as well as in San Antonio. I understand totally what you are saying and you do have a point. In my opinion, if Bonham had lived, I truly feel that the band might have experimented with more music styles such as the music composed for the IN THROUGH THE OUTDOOR album. Songs like "Carouselambra," "In The Evening," "All My Love," "I'm Gonna Crawl," the outtakes "Wearing And Tearing," "Darlene" and "Ozone Baby" to name a few, were possibly clear indications that the band was taking chances in expanding their music knowledge by experimenting with different music styles especially with Jonesy's usage of synthesizers. However, I truly feel that the band would have re-revolutionized the world of live performances forever especially since ZEPPELIN is without a doubt, the greatest live band of all-time. What do you think? Take care and ROCK ON FOREVER my friend!

Hello "Bustle In My Hedgerow!" How are you doing? How's Austin? I should know, I work up there as well as in San Antonio. I understand totally what you are saying and you do have a point. In my opinion, if Bonham had lived, I truly feel that the band might have experimented with more music styles such as the music composed for the IN THROUGH THE OUTDOOR album. Songs like "Carouselambra," "In The Evening," "All My Love," "I'm Gonna Crawl," the outtakes "Wearing And Tearing," "Darlene" and "Ozone Baby" to name a few, were possibly clear indications that the band was taking chances in expanding their music knowledge by experimenting with different music styles especially with Jonesy's usage of synthesizers. However, I truly feel that the band would have re-revolutionized the world of live performances forever especially since ZEPPELIN is without a doubt, the greatest live band of all-time. What do you think? Take care and ROCK ON FOREVER my friend!

Hey, ZeppFanForver :)... yes, I do agree that LZ experimented with musical styles.. but they made it their own.. which is what made them so revolutionary. They combined artistic brilliance and personal innovation with musical styles (pre-existing ones and new ones and, hey, they even kind of created their own musical style in the process) and THAT'S what made them great. They did revolutionize the sphere of live performances in such a HUGE way.. I'm rambling but what I guess I'm trying to say is this: LZ, had they continued on, would have fed off of other musical trends, made it their own, and, in turn, fed it back into the music world by inspiring other artists, too. Maybe the notion of a grunge style LZ album or Robert screaming punk lyrics into a microphone seems weird, but maybe the whole realm of grunge, punk, ska, etc would have been VERY different if LZ had continued on.. get my drift? Either way, it's something we'll never know.. what could have been, how it might have turned out. We'll always have the music they did create, though.. and that's GREAT! Always great to meet a fellow Austinite! :D

Hey, ZeppFanForver :)... yes, I do agree that LZ experimented with musical styles.. but they made it their own.. which is what made them so revolutionary. They combined artistic brilliance and personal innovation with musical styles (pre-existing ones and new ones and, hey, they even kind of created their own musical style in the process) and THAT'S what made them great. They did revolutionize the sphere of live performances in such a HUGE way.. I'm rambling but what I guess I'm trying to say is this: LZ, had they continued on, would have fed off of other musical trends, made it their own, and, in turn, fed it back into the music world by inspiring other artists, too. Maybe the notion of a grunge style LZ album or Robert screaming punk lyrics into a microphone seems weird, but maybe the whole realm of grunge, punk, ska, etc would have been VERY different if LZ had continued on.. get my drift? Either way, it's something we'll never know.. what could have been, how it might have turned out. We'll always have the music they did create, though.. and that's GREAT! Always great to meet a fellow Austinite! :D

Very well said "Bustle In my Hedgerow," I couldn't have said it better myself. Take care and ROCK ON FOREVER my friend.

Hey "BonzoLikeDrumer!" I hope all is well with you. I agree with you, it would be hard for the mighty LED ZEPPELIN to change anything musicwise, but ZEPPELIN should still stick to their own special trademark sound that they would forever be known for. As far as live performing goes, this is the area that ZEPPELIN would greatly improve over all bands throughout Rock n' Roll history. After all, LED ZEPPELIN is without a doubt, THE ALL-TIME GREATEST LIVE BAND THAT EVER LIVED! Take care and ROCK ON FOREVER my friend!

I'd for sure would have gotten to see them play if they where still around and they would have cooked on a 1990's stage with all the advanced gear and so forth!

And Bustle In My Hedgerow, you hit the nail right on the head! I don't know what kind of drummer I would have been after getting to see them live and hearing any new stuff with Bonzo jamming away! And what about all the rest of the bands and artist that would have been there to!

Make's me think! :D

Hey "tom kid!" How are you doing man? I know what you are saying and I truly know where you are coming from. If we were back in the 1977 Tour and Karac Plant had lived, then I would have questioned if Jimmy would have finished out the rest of the tour at the rate that he was going. But then again, the mighty LED ZEPPELIN almost finished the entire 1977 tour which would have ended in August 1977

That is true "tom kid," Bonzo was trying to kick smack at the time he died, I cannot say that the same was the case for Jimmy, Jimmy was still using even after Bonzo died. Perhaps Jimmy was using continuously after Bonzo died because he could not handle or deal with Bonzo's death. Then again, that is just my opinion. I remember reading that after Bonzo died, that Jimmy did not even pick up the guitar for 6 months.

"tom kid," in my opinion, I kind of look at it this way: if all three surviving members are still alive today, and if Bonzo had lived, I would like to think that all 4 members would still be alive today and still be together as the mighty LED ZEPPELIN. How do you feel "tom kid?" Its been great talking to you again. You take care and ROCK ON FOREVER my friend!

I'm doing good man, how about yourself? It really is kind of astonishing that Jimmy is still alive, I was watching the Seattle '77 dvd and my old man said looking at that you would have thought Jimmy would be the one who died and not Bonzo.

Jimmy did not try to kick the smack till 1983 I think. I don't know if Robert would have continued with the band, it seemed like his outlook on the whole thing changed when Karac died.

i think everyone shold consider how long everyone has been a -zeppelin fan for here...and how long after one reads -hammer of the gods. what i'm saying is, everyone is in different stages of fandom.

Well I've been a casual fan since 1994 or 1995 (when I was 10 or 11) and a outright hardcore fan since I was 17 or 18 (I'm 25 now). Hammer of the Gods is a bunch of horseshit. I read the first few pages in a book store and it hurt my head how horribly written it was. I'm not a fantastical person. If I read up on Led Zeppelin I want to read fact, not some made up bullshit that's written as if Led Zeppelin was something created out of fiction.

I'm a very cynical person by nature, so that's why my first post was the way it was. Of course I would prefer if they kept on making amazing albums through the 90's and never stopped being amazing but realistically I don't see that happening. I believe in 1980 they were really on top of things and up until the mid 80's they'd continue to be amazing but at some point the spark that drives their awesomeness would die and they'd inevitably travel down the road of mediocrity.

In a way I'm glad the band ended the way it did, assuming they'd inevitably fade out otherwise. If you only had two choices would you rather have them burn out (as they did) or fade away? I'd much prefer them to burn out, having nothing to taint their image and a perfect record of excellent albums because they ended before they could put something out that was mediocre.

I'm doing good man, how about yourself? It really is kind of astonishing that Jimmy is still alive, I was watching the Seattle '77 dvd and my old man said looking at that you would have thought Jimmy would be the one who died and not Bonzo.

Jimmy did not try to kick the smack till 1983 I think. I don't know if Robert would have continued with the band, it seemed like his outlook on the whole thing changed when Karac died.

I'm doing great "tom kid," thanks for asking. May I say, you are a very knowledgable young man for being 19 years old. I can't get over how much you know about the mighty LED ZEPPELIN, I am so proud of you.

You do have a point "tom kid," even Richard Cole was surprised when he found out that it was Bonzo that died and not Jimmy.

Its been great talking to you, I am going to add you on my friends list. Have a great day and ROCK ON FOREVER my friend.

Well I've been a casual fan since 1994 or 1995 (when I was 10 or 11) and a outright hardcore fan since I was 17 or 18 (I'm 25 now). Hammer of the Gods is a bunch of horseshit. I read the first few pages in a book store and it hurt my head how horribly written it was. I'm not a fantastical person. If I read up on Led Zeppelin I want to read fact, not some made up bullshit that's written as if Led Zeppelin was something created out of fiction.

I'm a very cynical person by nature, so that's why my first post was the way it was. Of course I would prefer if they kept on making amazing albums through the 90's and never stopped being amazing but realistically I don't see that happening. I believe in 1980 they were really on top of things and up until the mid 80's they'd continue to be amazing but at some point the spark that drives their awesomeness would die and they'd inevitably travel down the road of mediocrity.

In a way I'm glad the band ended the way it did, assuming they'd inevitably fade out otherwise. If you only had two choices would you rather have them burn out (as they did) or fade away? I'd much prefer them to burn out, having nothing to taint their image and a perfect record of excellent albums because they ended before they could put something out that was mediocre.

Yeah but -led zeppelin's mediocre songs would have been good. yeah, i was just trying to hear you and what was going on in the thread. its been brought up before and one cant help but imagine. i think they would have had to take a break of some kind or, as alot of -plant fans suggested, plant leaving the band. who knows. but with the apparent talk of a next heavy album...still could have been a make or break point, so we will never know.

Archived