I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

Currently watching the new version of 'In Cold Blood' with Eric Roberts. Compared to the earlier version it focuses more on the Clutter family as the 2 killers draw near the farm.

Currently watching the new version of 'In Cold Blood' with Eric Roberts. Compared to the earlier version it focuses more on the Clutter family as the 2 killers draw near the farm.

The film is in 2 parts and the second half really builds up a lot of dread before they act. :^(

Hadn't gone to a movie theatre in quite a while. But I saw "Flight" on the weekend. Really like it. Denzel gives another stellar performance. Story line was surprising but interesting....two thumbs up!

For me, Denzell is the new Gene Hackman.

By that, I mean, back in the day, if Gene Hackman was in a movie, you could pretty much bank on it being a really good movie.

Now, Denzell holds that position, at least for me.

For me, Denzell is the new Gene Hackman.

By that, I mean, back in the day, if Gene Hackman was in a movie, you could pretty much bank on it being a really good movie.

Now, Denzell holds that position, at least for me.

Agreed, great analogy re: Gene Hackman (another blue-chipper)....I have really loved Denzel in all the movies I have seen with him but up until Flight, Training Days was so unbelievably good with him playing that dirty-cop....He was fantastic and so scary in that........on a side note, I have a friend who did a little body guarding for Denzel when he was in Toronto. He said that Denzel was a great guy and a very generous tipper.

"Moonrise Kingdom" was a treat. So quirky, but humourous and heartwarming. Beautiful cinematography and fine acting. Edward Norton. Just loved little Sam.

Even the PG-13 rating that mentioned "smoking" made me laugh for some reason....but there was indeed a lot of smoking.

Why was Bob Balaban (forever Russell Dalrymple from Seinfeld to me) wearing winter clothes in the summer? His red coat closely resembles one of my (woman's) winter coats, ha.

I saw Katyn a few years ago. I thought it was slow but builds a lot of tension until the final scene which is difficult to watch.

There were a lot of excellent WWII movies produced around the time of Katyn's release, of which I can mention the Norwegian Max Manus and the Danish Flame and Citron which stars Mads Mikkelsen. These last two films are among the best of the WWII genre, in my opinion, very realistic recreations of the periods and excellent actors chosen to portray Nazis and members of the resistance. Cristian Berkel, for instance, also appeared in Tarantino's Bastards.

1558280.jpg

Whoah...quite a change of pace from your Bond marathon, eh Ady?

In light of that, I'd like to recommend one of my favourite films that deals with the subject of war: "The Red and the White" by Miklós Jancsó, from 1967.

I've managed to see quite a lot of movies lately...some that I'd like to discuss and recommend with the forum. So a warning to those who hate my wordy, long-winded posts: Be afraid, be very afraid. ;)

I saw Katyn a few years ago. I thought it was slow but builds a lot of tension until the final scene which is difficult to watch.

There were a lot of excellent WWII movies produced around the time of Katyn's release, of which I can mention the Norwegian Max Manus and the Danish Flame and Citron which stars Mads Mikkelsen. These last two films are among the best of the WWII genre, in my opinion, very realistic recreations of the periods and excellent actors chosen to portray Nazis and members of the resistance. Cristian Berkel, for instance, also appeared in Tarantino's Bastards.

Thanks for the recommendations, I've added those two to my rental list.

Whoah...quite a change of pace from your Bond marathon, eh Ady?

In light of that, I'd like to recommend one of my favourite films that deals with the subject of war: "The Red and the White" by Miklós Jancsó, from 1967.

Thank you, Strider. I've also added that one to my rental list.

Thanks for the recommendations Zemum, and Ady as always.

Hi Strider, we are brave. Bring it on.

Absolutely! :)

OK.

Every so often, I get around to seeing a movie that I always wanted to see, but just let slip through the cracks.

Such is the case with The Whole Nine Yards.

51k3ir3sZ7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Holy shit.

This is like a cross between Pulp Fiction and The Hangover.

Maybe not as good as either of those alone, but it certainly has characteristics of both that make it absolutely hilarious and maintain a dark comic edge.

Lots of clever yet plausible twists make this a blast to watch.

Great comic performance by Matthew Perry, and Bruce Willis is a veteran at being a badass.

If you've never seen it, it's DEFINITELY worth a sit down.

I'll be watching it again in the next night or so with my son, who shares my taste in movies.

^^^

Ahhh, you've entered the Roger Moore era. Nice contrast with "The Woodsman", one of Kevin Bacon's more unheralded and underrated efforts.

Back-to-back movie nights for me, as the marquee in the photo attests. Last night it was "Empire of the Sun" starring a very young Christian Bale and John Malkovich being John Malkovich. Tonight it's "Celebration Day"...my 4th time seeing it in the theatres.

post-1470-0-45890700-1355521085_thumb.jp

^^^

Ahhh, you've entered the Roger Moore era.

This was a very brave stuntman!

They were his pets, but still....

Nice contrast with "The Woodsman", one of Kevin Bacon's more unheralded and underrated efforts.

I didn't watch them one after the other. I saw "The Woodsman" yesterday, but forgot to post.