I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

51LpW9GoO8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Hvid Nat (Denmark, 2007)

(English title: White Night)

Directed by Jannik Johansen, script by Anders Thomas Jensen

Hvid Nat isn’t as bad as a couple of reviews that I read suggested.

Its strengths lie in the script, very solid and without a flaw, and in the acting: the lead role was given to Lars Brygmann, an accomplished actor in Denmark with several dozen films in his resume.

The movie documents the spiralling down of Ulrik Nymann, from a very succesful, confident and happily married real estate agent to a pariah, disawoved by his father, friendless and bankrupt.

The event that sets in motion Mr. Nymann’s debacle is a squabble at a small pub where he engages a “loser”: an unemployed, alcoholic man who accidentally dies in the fight.

Nymann doesn’t spend much time in prison (“you’ll be home by dinner” says his lawyer). Everyone from boss to family members and friends seem to believe that he has done a favour to society by killing a man with a record of petty crimes and spousal abuse.

Nymann never resumes normal life. After he learns that his victim had a wife and two kids, he finds the widow and practically stalks her day and night, offering his financial protection as the only way to escape the feelings of guilt that engulf him.

In his quest to protect the widow, Mr. Nymann slowly descends into the abyss as he loses wife, job, apartment and car. His troubles are compounded by obscure events from the past that have returned to haunt him.

Hvid Nat succeeds in sending a powerful message of moral principles in today’s society. The brilliant real estate agent has to reevaluate his definitions of good versus evil, success versus failure and truth versus lie.

I saw it in Yonkers, the volume was low, we had to get the manager and have him tell the sound man to turn it up. He cranked it and all was well. Really nice seeing and hearing it on the big screen. The only bad part is......I'm ready to go on tour. Instead, the fckn Stones are touring. C'mon Zep, get out there and kick some ass all around the world.

^LOL! :lol: I must admit though that while Paranormal Activity 3 was an out and out drag for me, I kinda enjoyed Paranormal Activity 1 and 2 :blush:

I guess for me it was the novelty of seeing a ghost / ghoul themed movie without all the dramatic music, weird images, etc. which got me the 1st and 2nd time! ;):P

But, I on the other hand throughouly enjoyed this film (I saw this a few days after Paranormal Activity 3:)

TheOthers.jpg

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

^^^

You got that right, jb.

Nah, I like "found footage" films. :)

Haha Ady, I'll take your word for it. But you deserve a medal if you can sit through this piece of schlock that Hollywood just vomited upon the public:

"Bigfoot: The Lost Coast Tapes".

Edited by Strider