Great photo essay - worthless narration

Reggie1971

The narrator must not actually listen very well if he can't understand the lyrics to LZ songs.

Nice pics though.

I got a bit steamed about his comments and sent the following e-mail to Time magazine. I just had to get it off my chest:

Dear Mr. Tyrangiel:

I just finished viewing your audio and photo essay on the Led Zeppelin reunion on 12/10. The photos were very nice and as a longtime Zeppelin fan I appreciate the slideshow. As for your comments about Zep not having any meaning, please explain to me what meaning the following artists' music had:

Mozart

Beethoven

Ray Charles

George Gershwin

Stevie Ray Vaughn

I suppose by "meaning" you mean "message". The artist making a literal statement. I would suggest that Zep's statement was "here, this is good music". No there isn't much political in what they expressed. Perhaps this is why they were held in such disfavor by many counter-culture rock critics who thought that for music to be worth a damn, it should aim to change the government or society. Music needn't be an essay about this issue or that. An inspired emotional response, an evocation of fantasy, and a display of raw talent in performance and musical arrangement is plenty sufficient. A musician is worthwhile without inspiring to be on the editorial page.

Sincerely,

Reggie

P.S.: I really hope your comment about Bonham not having much control was a joke. Otherwise I would suggest buying new speakers.

I got a bit steamed about his comments and sent the following e-mail to Time magazine. I just had to get it off my chest:

Dear Mr. Tyrangiel:

I just finished viewing your audio and photo essay on the Led Zeppelin reunion on 12/10. The photos were very nice and as a longtime Zeppelin fan I appreciate the slideshow. As for your comments about Zep not having any meaning, please explain to me what meaning the following artists' music had:

Mozart

Beethoven

Ray Charles

George Gershwin

Stevie Ray Vaughn

I suppose by "meaning" you mean "message". The artist making a literal statement. I would suggest that Zep's statement was "here, this is good music". No there isn't much political in what they expressed. Perhaps this is why they were held in such disfavor by many counter-culture rock critics who thought that for music to be worth a damn, it should aim to change the government or society. Music needn't be an essay about this issue or that. An inspired emotional response, an evocation of fantasy, and a display of raw talent in performance and musical arrangement is plenty sufficient. A musician is worthwhile without inspiring to be on the editorial page.

Sincerely,

Reggie

P.S.: I really hope your comment about Bonham not having much control was a joke. Otherwise I would suggest buying new speakers.

BTW, I didnt' mean counter-culture, I meant counter-culture ROCK CRITICS. Cripes, what qualifications do you need for that job anyway?!

(help...)

Can anybody tell me why I can't see the slideshow?

When I click on the link, I can get to the site, but all I see is a white square, no pix (I tried going into the site and accessing it from there and again I could click on the link but still big white square).

I'm on a loaner machine where I'm not administrator -- could that possibly be it?

(help...)

Can anybody tell me why I can't see the slideshow?

When I click on the link, I can get to the site, but all I see is a white square, no pix (I tried going into the site and accessing it from there and again I could click on the link but still big white square).

I'm on a loaner machine where I'm not administrator -- could that possibly be it?

That happened to me a couple of nights ago, but the next night it worked. So try it again later and see how it goes. :)

But I agree, the narrator is really quite ignorant.

This link has a slideshow of some interesting photos of Zep, but it is narrated by one of those tin-eared critics who doesn't really understand them and is irked that their music didn't make "statements". My suggestion would be to turn down the sound and enjoy the photos:

http://www.time.com/time/photoessays/2007/led_zeppelin/

I don't know what the essay author's statement was supposed to be. He introduced the band members, then Jason, then said fans always loved them but critics didn't (what does that say about critics), then says he didn't understand the songs, yet they rocked.

His 'essay' was all over the place...more like an abbreviated Op-Ed piece. Very abbreviated, yet not abbreviated enough.

Is this guy actually a professional?

I think a line from a Mel Brooks movie is called for:

"And of course, with the birth of the artist came the inevitable afterbirth - the critic."

• 3 years later...

This link has a slideshow of some interesting photos of Zep, but it is narrated by one of those tin-eared critics who doesn't really understand them and is irked that their music didn't make "statements". My suggestion would be to turn down the sound and enjoy the photos:

http://www.time.com/time/photoessays/2007/led_zeppelin/

Somehow I missed this....cool, I just muted it. ;)

Somehow I missed this....cool, I just muted it. ;)

I just watched it and the interviewer is dull and I mean seriously, his comment about it not being cool to like them in the beginning so he caught on later...what an idiot....reminds me of the early days and the freakin critics :wacko:

Pictures were great though....

Archived