WWII Veteran told to remove American flagpole

planted

I found this story very troubling. Can you just imagine this 90 year old man raising the flag every morning and retiring it every evening? And someone has the audacity to demand he remove this flagpole for aesthetic reasons?

WWII vet battles homeowners group over flag issue

December 2, 2009 - 4:16pm

By ZINIE CHEN SAMPSON

Associated Press Writer

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - A 90-year-old Army veteran who won the Medal of Honor during World War II is battling his neighborhood association for what he says is his right to fly the American flag from a pole in his front yard.

Col. Van T. Barfoot says he erected the 21-foot flagpole in September, raising the flag daily at sunrise and retiring it at sunset.

The Sussex Square homeowners' association told him recently that the free-standing pole violates the townhouse neighborhood's aesthetic guidelines and ordered him to remove it by 5 p.m. Friday or face a lawsuit.

"I don't have any qualms with their authority, but the thing about it is that I cannot get enough conversation out of them where we can try to work out a solution," Barfoot said Wednesday in a telephone interview.

A telephone message left for Alexandra D. Bowen, a lawyer representing the association, wasn't immediately returned on Wednesday.

Barfoot, who moved into his townhouse in June, won his medal for actions near Carano, Italy, in 1944 and is one of about 90 surviving Medal of Honor winners. He also won the Purple Heart and other decorations, and served in Korea and Vietnam before retiring from the service in 1974.

"I've flown the flag at my home as long as I can remember," said Barfoot, who lived in rural Amelia County before moving to suburban Richmond. "This is the first time in the last 36 years that I've been unable to put my flag up on the same pole, the same staff and take it down when it's time to come down."

Neighbors largely have expressed their support, but he realizes that ultimately it's up to the nine-member association board whether they will grant an exception to the rules.

"Emotional torture is what they've done to my father," said his daughter, Margaret Nicholls. "He has lost sleep, he worries about it constantly. He just doesn't understand. He thinks that if it's on his property they can't tell him what to do."

I am ignorant as to the significance of the Star of David flagpole, but I damn well know what the American flag signifies.

Don't mean to split hairs, but no one WINS the Medal of Honor, or the Purple Heart. One EARNS these honors. Forgive me, but I couldn't let it go.

I am ignorant as to the significance of the Star of David flagpole, but I damn well know what the American flag signifies.

Don't mean to split hairs, but no one WINS the Medal of Honor, or the Purple Heart. One EARNS these honors. Forgive me, but I couldn't let it go.

Hi Planted,

It seems to me to have nothing to do with flying the flag but more to do with erecting a flagpole. I for one would have no problem with a neighbour doing the same next door to me, but if everybody erected a flagpole in the front yard or garden and flew a flag from it, my street would look like a United Nations Summit Meeting. :lol:

But i see no reason for an American, reguardless of the fact that he is a Vet, not to be able to fly the flag outside his home, in fact i think it shows great national pride and should be encouraged, if not even made mandatory.

Regards, Danny

Here's one i made earlier.

ConfederateStatesOfEnglandandUSA.jpg

How fucking pathetic is this. Let this hero fly his damn flag!

That actually pisses me off greatly. He deserves to fly that damn flag.

I really hope he wins the case. If I lived where he did I'd put up my own poll and flag just to support him.

What a bunch of assholes in that association. He better not only win, but then break that bullshit association up.

HOA's are evil, it doesn't matter what they're not letting you do. I am so, so, SO glad the subdivision we live in doesn't have one.

You mean the subdivision YOUR PARENTS live in don't you? What the hell do you know about which neighborhoods are better?

But I do think the HOA in Richmond has gone too far. You wouldn't think there would be that kind of attitude anywhere in the great state of ol' Virginy. But it just goes to show what happens when a city becomes a 'suburb' of Washington D.C. with all those liberal assclowns. Almost as bad as living in Berkley California.

I live in a gated HOA and I have no problems with most of the rules. Much of it comes down to common sense stuff aimed at keeping dumbasses from doing nusiance things with their property. Low-life stuff like parking a boat or camper in you driveway; building a skateboard ramp on the front lawn; parking on the front lawn; painting a Mexican mural on your garage door of our Lady of whatever that is, and leaving your friggin Christmas tree lights up for 20 YEARS.

Our HOA has no restrictions on the American Flag either hung on your home or on a pole. We do however require that the flag be lighted if it is flown after sunset(which is the standard flag etiquette), and also retiring flags that are faded or torn. What we don't allow are 'banners' like those stupid seasonal crap things that have everything from easter bunnies to sports team affiliations. Hang that shit inside your house!

Btw, in my neigborhood I would say of the 250 homes inside the gates, a good 30% or more fly the flag --- myself included. Usually you can tell a good neighborhood full of upstanding patriotic God fearing Americans by the amount of households that fly the flag.

The Sussex Square homeowners' association is doing their job by enforcing the townhouse neighborhood's aesthetic guidelines. Having said that, one would think if the majority of residents petition to have the guidelines amended to

permit flagpoles the change will be incorporated, and the sooner the better.

Btw, in my neigborhood I would say of the 250 homes inside the gates, a good 30% or more fly the flag --- myself included. Usually you can tell a good neighborhood full of upstanding patriotic God fearing Americans

Hi Del,

Sorry, dont meen to piss on your parade but when did Americans become God fearing? i thought Americans feared nothing, :hunter:

Apart from, er,

Powerful Women,

Blacks,

Mexicans,

Mafiosa,

Hispanics,

Irish Hoodlums,

Red Skins,

Homosexuals,

Llibertarians,

Muslims,

Addicts,

Conscientious Objectors,

Cowards,

did i forget anybody? oh yea, Those Commie Bastards. :oops::lol:

Regards, Danny

PS, God pales into insignificance when compared to those mentioned above.

If etiquette requires lighting at night for the flag, I'd be against having it up then.

I like the nights to be dark and if there was even just one flying near me the lighting would be too intrusive, I can't imagine 30% of the homes illuminated after dark like that.

No thanks.

If etiquette requires lighting at night for the flag, I'd be against having it up then.

I like the nights to be dark and if there was even just one flying near me the lighting would be too intrusive, I can't imagine 30% of the homes illuminated after dark like that.

No thanks.

Col Barfoot takes the flag in each night, according to the article.

See, this is why I hate HOA's. There's a house a few down from ours that has a flagpole that is lit at night and no one says shit about it. I pass it every night taking our puppy for his last walk of the day. It's not a massive flagpole, but it's their front yard, with a small light at the base that points up.

If you don't like the light, get heavier drapes.

That man risked his life so those smug little fucks on that board could tell other people what to do. They should appreciate his actions and grant an exception. I have a huge chip on my shoulder for Housing Associations. We weren't allowed to have a privacy fence, but the assholes down the street who have burnt garbage on their porch and park in the yard don't get penalized?

Col. Barfoot gets White House support

By Staff Reports

Published: December 7, 2009

Updated: December 8, 2009

» 50 Comments | Post a Comment

vote

nowBuzz up!

Col. Van T. Barfoot now has support from the White House.

The Medal of Honor recipient and veteran of World War II and the Korean and Vietnam wars is fighting his Henrico County homeowners association over whether he can use a flagpole on his property to fly the U.S. flag.

The Sussex Square Services Inc. homeowners association, which says the pole violates its regulations, told Barfoot he has until Friday -- a week later than the original deadline -- to take down the pole or face the legal consequences.

The story has drawn national attention, and today during the White House press briefing, President Barack Obama's chief spokesman Robert Gibbs was asked if the president supported Col. Barfoot.

"I think its silly to think that somebody that's done that couldn't have a flagpole," said Gibbs, the White House press secretary, referring to Barfoot's service in three wars.

Gibbs said he has not spoken directly to the president on the issue, but said that "the president believes, I think all of us believe, that the least we can do is show our gratitude to someone who served our country so admirably."

Col. Barfoot gets White House support

By Staff Reports

Published: December 7, 2009

Updated: December 8, 2009

» 50 Comments | Post a Comment

vote

nowBuzz up!

Col. Van T. Barfoot now has support from the White House.

The Medal of Honor recipient and veteran of World War II and the Korean and Vietnam wars is fighting his Henrico County homeowners association over whether he can use a flagpole on his property to fly the U.S. flag.

The Sussex Square Services Inc. homeowners association, which says the pole violates its regulations, told Barfoot he has until Friday -- a week later than the original deadline -- to take down the pole or face the legal consequences.

The story has drawn national attention, and today during the White House press briefing, President Barack Obama's chief spokesman Robert Gibbs was asked if the president supported Col. Barfoot.

"I think its silly to think that somebody that's done that couldn't have a flagpole," said Gibbs, the White House press secretary, referring to Barfoot's service in three wars.

Gibbs said he has not spoken directly to the president on the issue, but said that "the president believes, I think all of us believe, that the least we can do is show our gratitude to someone who served our country so admirably."

The President of the United States has a public position on this local home owners association-level issue?!

wtf.gif

I'm gonna puke.

The President of the United States has a public position on this local home owners association-level issue?!

wtf.gif

I'm gonna puke.

I'll hold your hair back...;)

I could not agree more. Did anyone else notice McCrystal's praise of the 30,000 troops? Talk about wanting to puke...

Archived