It Was 29 Years Ago Today

SteveAJones

A very sad moment in Led Zeppelin history indeed, but it was the right thing to do and not as sad the actual death of Bonzo!!

I wonder what would happen, if they would try to continue with fourteen year old Jason on drums, just that it would stay in the family??

I know Jason wasn't really that good at the time!! He wasn't even as good as now in 1988, when he played with Page on the Outrider tour!!

And even today he is not as good as his dad was, so it's just a thought!!

It would be interesting to hear, how they would sound with a teenage Jason on drums!! I think he played Trampled under foot at Knebworth rehersals and at first the other band members didn't even notice!!

I wonder what would happen if they would try to continue with fourteen year old Jason on drums, just that it would stay in the family??

I don't know what to say to that, really. An absurd scenario I can't even claim to have considered before. Preposterous.

"The loss of our dear friend and the deep sense of harmony felt by ourselves and our manager, have led us to decide that we could not continue as we were."

It was a Thursday and I remember hearing this devasting news, still had not grasped reality than Bonham was gone. I remember where I was at the exact moment I received the news. Very sad indeed.

And in the end

The love you take

Is equal to the love you make

There was an unsaid love between each member of Led Zeppelin within the group and Peter Grant. That love was broken by John Bonham's death.

We could not continue as we were.

No press conference, no each member giving their end game. A simple statement.

I saved this newspaper clipping (Newsday, Dec 5 1980, no author given, however there is a photo accompanying it of Jimmy Page that is captioned "Jimmy Page at the Nassau Coliseum in 1975" photo by Jim Peppler)

Transition: Led Zeppelin says it can't continue

A leading music critic has referred to Led Zeppelin as "the last great rock band whose minions can be considered true believers". Those fans, stunned in September by the death of the band's drummer, John Bonham, now may be upset by the group's apparent decision to break up.

Led Zeppelin's three remaining members said in a statement yesterday that "we could not continue as we were" because of Bonham's death. They cited "the loss of our dear friend and the deep respect we have for his family, together with the sense of undivided harmony felt by ourselves and our manager."

A spokeswoman for the group confirmed the authenticity of the statement, which was sent by wire to several newspaper offices, but she did not say whether it meant the band was quitting or changing its method of operation. "You can interpret it any way you want." she said.

Bonham, who cofounded the band in 1968, was found dead Sept. 25 at the Windsor, England mansion owned by the group's lead guitarist, Jimmy Page. A coroner's inquest determined that Bonham, 32, had choked to death after a night of heavy drinking.

I remember there being some confusion after that statement; it was worded rather strangely, instead of just saying it's over and done it was "couldn't continue as we were" opening the door to crazy speculation that they would continue in some other form or something

• 3 weeks later...

I remember there being some confusion after that statement; it was worded rather strangely, instead of just saying it's over and done it was "couldn't continue as we were" opening the door to crazy speculation that they would continue in some other form or something

I was 11 years old. It was a snowy day and I was taking the bus to school, which was notable because I usually skipped school with that much snow on the ground. A kid on the bus told me what had happened. I didn't know Led Zeppelin from Pink Floyd at the time, though I did recognize Stairway and others tunes that were on the radio frequently. So, I don't know why it stuck with me until I became such a full-fledged Zeppelin fan a few years later. It may have had something to do with the number of times the news was repeated throughout the course of that day. I do remember that I couldn't understand why there was so much coverage about someone I had never even heard of before. Or, maybe it became frozen in time for me because it became a catalyst for wanting to learn more about the band. When I started purchasing albums and cassettes and realizing how magical the entire catalog truly was, I began to understand why Bonzo's death was so tragic to so many people across the world. It is a true cliche that you never forget where you were when something like that happens, but sometimes the reason doesn't become clear until later.

Archived