Aerosmith vs. Rush

lzzoso

HAHAHA to the first bolded statement.

Also, after Roger decided to be a twat and leave the band, they didn't replace him, they didn't add anyone else to the group. Pink Floyd then became David, Rick and Nick. Period. They didn't do what they did when Syd was too mentally incapacitated to perform anymore and add someone else legally to the group. The band went from a quartet to a trio. Guy Pratt became their bassist for live performances, but he didn't join the band. He is not a member of Pink Floyd. Neither is Jon Carin who played keys. They didn't replace Roger Waters in the band. They simply moved on without him. WTF do you know.

Also, HAHAHAHA to the second bolded statement.

I knew that was evetually coming :D

Agree with Jahfin, on the double talk.

Back to the thread - Aerosmith lost it when they went to mainly ballads. Pump, in my opinion, was their last great disc.

Rush continues to rock on!

HAHAHA to the first bolded statement.

Also, after Roger decided to be a twat and leave the band, they didn't replace him, they didn't add anyone else to the group. Pink Floyd then became David, Rick and Nick. Period. They didn't do what they did when Syd was too mentally incapacitated to perform anymore and add someone else legally to the group. The band went from a quartet to a trio. Guy Pratt became their bassist for live performances, but he didn't join the band. He is not a member of Pink Floyd. Neither is Jon Carin who played keys. They didn't replace Roger Waters in the band. They simply moved on without him. WTF do you know.

Also, HAHAHAHA to the second bolded statement.

My question to you is, if Pink Floyd became a "trio" after Roger Waters "decided to be a twat and leave the band" (in your own words above), how come when I see videos on Youtube or elsewhere of the New Pink Floyd in the 1980's and beyond, there seems to be at least 7-10 other musicians playing the songs that used to only require the four (4) members of Pink Floyd? Let me try and get this correct:

Rogers Waters: Bass Guitar, Vocals.

David Gilmour: Lead Guitar, Vocals.

Nick Mason: Drums.

Rick Wright: Keyboards.

These are the four (4) musicians that created among others "Dark Side of the Moon" and the "Wall". Four of them. Just like LED ZEPPELIN. FOUR MUSICIANS.

However, when John Henry Bonham tragically passed away, Led Zeppelin had the "Respect" to call it quits and cease being a band. Nobody in Pink Floyd passed away at that time during Roger Water's departure, but continued to fight and bicker in Court over the use of the name "Pink Floyd". Once it was official, David Gilmour re-vamped Pink Floyd and, like I have said, added numerous background players to go out on the road and tour as Pink Floyd. Maybe none of them "joined the band" but they played on almost every song on those subsequent tours. I would not call that being a "trio". I know that you mean at the heart of the band they became a "trio" (Gilmour, Wright and Mason) but when a group has about a dozen (12) people playing different instruments on the same songs during a three (3) hour concert, that used to take only four(4) musicians, well I would not call that a "trio"

RUSH IS A TRIO. ALWAYS HAS AND (HOPEFULLY) ALWAYS WILL BE!!!

One final tidbit about Floyd being a "trio" is that it wasn't. Rick Wright was never a legal member again, leaving/quiting/being fired after "The Wall" sessions. The only legal members were Nick and David. The three of them basically wrote "The Division Bell" together, but Nick and David would never play together after that tour (until Live 8, of course) because they would have to be billed as Pink Floyd at that point. Interesting that Pink Floyd is dominating this thread, but I have seen stranger things in this forum! :lol:

One final tidbit about Floyd being a "trio" is that it wasn't. Rick Wright was never a legal member again, leaving/quiting/being fired after "The Wall" sessions. The only legal members were Nick and David. The three of them basically wrote "The Division Bell" together, but Nick and David would never play together after that tour (until Live 8, of course) because they would have to be billed as Pink Floyd at that point. Interesting that Pink Floyd is dominating this thread, but I have seen stranger things in this forum! :lol:

That's not true. Rick Wright legally re-joined the band in 1992. Also, Nick Mason made several appearances with David over the years, including 2 or 3 times during his solo tours in 1984 and 2006. One of the shows at Royal Albert Hall in 2006 had David, Rick and Nick all playing Comfortably Numb so technically that WAS Pink Floyd, but no one said anything about that.

My question to you is, if Pink Floyd became a "trio" after Roger Waters "decided to be a twat and leave the band" (in your own words above), how come when I see videos on Youtube or elsewhere of the New Pink Floyd in the 1980's and beyond, there seems to be at least 7-10 other musicians playing the songs that used to only require the four (4) members of Pink Floyd?

Pink Floyd always had supplemental musicians on stage with them back when Roger was still in the group. The Wish You Were Here tour, the In The Flesh tour and then The Wall shows in 1980 and 1981 all featured more than just the four of them on stage during performances. During The Wall shows, they had up to 8 people on stage with them. That doesn't mean however, that there were more members legally in the group. So let's see......for the tours supporting AMLOR and TDB, you had David, Rick and Nick playing guitar, keys/organs/synths and drums. Guy Pratt was their bassist for live performances. There's your core band.

During the In The Flesh tour and The Wall shows, Snowy White played rhythm guitar and occasionally bass when Roger played guitar. On the latter two tours, it was Tim Renwick. On The Wall shows, they had two keyboard players, Rick and some dude whose name escapes me. For the latter two tours, it was Jon Carin. They always had backing vocalists from 1973 onward, even when Roger was in the group. On the AMLOR tour, they had Scott Page playing saxophone. On TDB tour, it was Dick Parry, who played the sax on all the original recordings that required one (except Terminal Frost on AMLOR).

So exactly where are these 7-10 other musicians you're prattling on about? I counted......3. Tim Renwick, Jon Carin and the saxophonist, be it Scott Page or Dick Parry. Backing vocalists aren't musicians, so you can't count them. You can't do a lot of their songs without them anyway.

So guess what? Sometimes Pink Floyd required the usage of other musicians to help create their live shows, even before Roger left the band. When their music got more complicated and complex, it required more than just the four of them on a bare-bones stage. Such is life.

That's not true. Rick Wright legally re-joined the band in 1992. Also, Nick Mason made several appearances with David over the years, including 2 or 3 times during his solo tours in 1984 and 2006. One of the shows at Royal Albert Hall in 2006 had David, Rick and Nick all playing Comfortably Numb so technically that WAS Pink Floyd, but no one said anything about that.

I have heard differently. But knowing how in tune you are with this band I will defer to you, until I come up with the proper references. BTW, I agree with you that PF was better than either of the other two, even in the various member forms their music came from.

I just looked it up to make sure that I had heard 1992 correctly, and as it turns out Rick was contractually a member of Pink Floyd again by the time of their tour for AMLOR and their 1988 live album, Delicate Sound of Thunder. So it was much earlier than when they set out to do The Division Bell.

While Roger deserves most of the blame for that, Rick wasn't making it that easy on himself either. He had a horrible cocaine problem that was making it impossible for him to work. Also, Roger threatened to pull the master tapes of what they had worked on if he didn't leave the group, and since they had been swindled a couple years prior out of a good chunk of money, they needed that album in order to recoup some of their losses.

When it was put to Rick like that, he had no choice. I would call it blackmail, someone else would call it extortion....who knows. Either way it was a bleak, bleak time for them.

Interestingly enough, Rick was the only one to make money on The Wall tour, wasn't he? Being a hired musician and all at that point. Extortion vs. blackmail, hmmmmmm. Funny that Roger finally admits he should have handled that period much differently. :rolleyes:

I remember on Rockline where Roger was alluding to David not playing the guitar solos on Dark Side and said AMLOR was a "fair forgery of the real PF". That was when AMLOR tour was just kicking off and his Radio KAOS tour was minuscule by comparison.

Did you ever get a chance to see them live?

Interestingly enough, Rick was the only one to make money on The Wall tour, wasn't he? Being a hired musician and all at that point. Extortion vs. blackmail, hmmmmmm. Funny that Roger finally admits he should have handled that period much differently. :rolleyes:

I remember on Rockline where Roger was alluding to David not playing the guitar solos on Dark Side and said AMLOR was a "fair forgery of the real PF". That was when AMLOR tour was just kicking off and his Radio KAOS tour was minuscule by comparison.

Did you ever get a chance to see them live?

No, but I wish I did. I was born in 1982, so I was 12 when they last went out on the road. I did however get to see David live back in 2006 when he played Rosemont Theater in my hometown of Chicago.

Oh yeah, this IS a Rush vs. Aerosuck thread isn't it?! :lol:

Yes it is (was), very good observation. Even though I started this topic, my point was to ask which of these two great bands do you prefer over one or the other, RUSH or AEROSMITH.

RUSH or AEROSMITH Simple question (I thought).

Then someone comes along and says Pink Floyd. Which is cool because, believe it or not, I am a big Pink Floyd fan. I realize that they are a musical force to be reckoned with, even though as I have said and has been pointed out that I think of Pink Floyd as the four musicians, Waters, Gilmour, Wright and Mason (Nick), who made those classic albums from the 1970's.

However, my original question was not who do you prefer: Rush, Aerosmith or Pink Floyd? How someone can say Pink Floyd to a Rush or Aerosmith question seems to me to be way out of context to my original topic.

Anyway, back to the original topic, I am a bit torn between Rush and Aerosmith. If you read my original post (#1), these two Great bands have so many Great songs to choose from and listen too. As of right now I am still undecided. RUSH or AEROSMITH???

I can't believe how pointless these discussions are and how people are still filling pages and pages with them.

How you people can compare these bands (or any other bands) is beyond me. If you have something to say about Aerosmith, go to the Aeromisth topic. If you have something to say about Rush click the Rush topic. But to make a thread like this one is......

I still don't understand how the Pink Floyd thing came up and why...but to continue in the spirit of this topic, to answer the first question, who's better, Aero or Rush, I gotta say Mariah Carey!

Am I cool now? B) Epic win, ha?!

<_<

When there is nothing to talk about, then we just talk sh!t to one another. Just freedom of expression, dude! Obviously you felt the need to express yourself as well. Not a problem! However, your Mariah Carey statement is stepping over the line! :lol:

Oh yeah and to answer your question, you're not cool now! ;)

If I just had to choose, it would be Aerosmith, provided they don't invite some dork-ass rapper to come along and get the rhythm all dorkassized (that's a new word I came up with). There are some Aerosmith songs that I can not hear without thinking of that Crap. Letting Run DMC or Kid Rock sit in is the kiss of death. Those guys have a nack for getting the rhythm wrong. Kid Rock is a dork-asses dork-ass.

Don't get me wrong because I do like Pink Floyd but Aerosmith or Rush are far better bands than Pink Floyd. I say this now because how many of the musicians can you name in Pink Floyd besides the original four? Rick Wright and Dave Mason and Roger Waters were part of the original Floyd. David Gilmour was not. He replaced Syd Barrett. Roger Waters and David Gilmour have gone to Court over the use (or non-use) of the name Pink Floyd. Apparently Gilmour won but since he reformed Pink Floyd it seems he had to add about 7-10 extra musicians to the "new" Pink Floyd. Can you honestly name these new "Pink Floyd" members? I cannot. I doubt alot of us could. Maybe if you "google" them than maybe you could.

RUSH has had the same three (3) members since their second album, "Fly by Night" which was released in 1975. In my opinion, Alex Lifeson is a much better guitar player than David Gilmour.

Floyd may have added a few players but God they sound good. As far as the guitarist comparison, I agree. Alex would have an easier time playing Gilmour's stuff rather than vice versa.strangesky122008005.jpgFILE0038.jpg And if we're going to be sticklers about roster line-up, how about the chick(s) that vocalize in Great Gig in the sky?

Okay. This is just a simple, hypothetical question.

Whose music do you prefer to listen to other than the "Mighty Led Zeppelin"? Aerosmith or Rush. I realize that some of you out there may or may not even (really) like these two great bands. I, however, prefer both bands during their mid to late 1970's era. Actually, any era of these two bands. I do think that both bands earlier albums are more "classic" than their later albums. Here are just a few outstanding examples of great songs by both Aerosmith and Rush:

Aerosmith: "Walking the Dog", "Seasons of Wither", "Lord of the Thighs", "No More, No More", "Round and Round", "Last Child", "Rats in the Cellar", "Draw the Line", "the Hand That Feeds"... and of course dozens more.

Rush: "Here Again", "Working Man", "In the End", "2112", "Something for Nothing", "A Farewell to Kings", "the Trees", "Jacobs Ladder", "Tom Sawyer", "Vital Signs"... and of course dozens more also.

Any comments, opinions, debates, arguments, ANYTHING???!!!

It always amuses me when bands are compared or judged like this. Especially when they're so different.

Rush never gets the credit the deserve. Few bands who've been around for over thirty years keep getting better and better. Rush has a deep catalogue but they're no retro act. Snakes and Ladders was as great of an album as they've ever done. I saw them on that tour a couple years ago and they left me speechless. The musicianship was remarkable.

Aerosmith hasn't made a great hard rock record since 1979. They're looking for a singer now that Tyler is off the road with his injury? Good luck with that.

Archived