TCV on ACL

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=134641

THEM CROOKED VULTURES — which consists of Dave Grohl (FOO FIGHTERS, NIRVANA, THEM CROOKED VULTURES) on drums, QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE singer/guitarist Josh Homme and LED ZEPPELIN bass player John Paul Jones — taped a performance for the "Austin City Limits" TV program on September 30, 2009. The show is scheduled to air on Saturday, February 13 on your local PBS station.

A preview clip of the "No Fang" performance can be viewed at this location.

For more information, visit www.austincitylimits.org.

I'm looking forward to this. A whole set. Only bummer is it doesn't show until midnight here. My insomnia seems to only go away when I DON'T want it too, so here's to it being alive and well for this midnight show.

AND it'll be after the Daytona 500....so...I better make some coffee in the pm.

They were great on ACL!! I missed the first song cause I fell asleep, but woke up in time to see the rest of the show.

They will have the entire show on their website (PBS-ACL) usually in the next day or so.

After seeing them tonight, it makes me want to see them even more at a live show. I am hoping they will make it back to Chicago or come to St. Louis this Spring or Summer!!

This show is fantstic!!!!

They sound sooo good!

Lots of close-ups of JPJ!

And MSG was in the audience!

(See page 24 of JPJ's New Project Thread).

Yes, I was! You have a very good memory, "BUCK'EYE'DOC"! It was interesting to see how the show was edited...what ACL (or TCV?) chose to include...and to hear how the sound was mixed. Fun to spot ourselves, too. ;)

I downloaded a torrent of the show, and am watching it now. The sound is lousy. Not the band, the mix. The drums are overpowering the vocals and guitars. It's like the soundman doesn't understand the difference between lead vocals and backup vocals, nor the difference between rhythm guitar and lead guitar. I see fingers on the keyboard, but there's no keyboard coming out of my speakers. JPJ's bass is thin and lacking depth, and I know it's not coming out of his amp that way.

I remember SRV's guitar sound being butchered 20 years ago in a similar fashion. Do they hire deaf people to run the show?

Gunman is playing now, and it's a little better, but still I'd give the sound a B- considering they've had five months to tweak it.

This show is fantstic!!!!

They sound sooo good!

Lots of close-ups of JPJ!

And MSG was in the audience!

(See page 24 of JPJ's New Project Thread).

I like the close-ups...I have never heard Josh before his work with TCV..I never listened to his other group...sorry...I do like his voice and guitar playing...

Juliet :D

PS Thanks to the other member for posting the video of the performance...

PSS We need an Austin City Limits type show in Canada...I love the set....as well as the music...

Yes, I was! You have a very good memory, "BUCK'EYE'DOC"! It was interesting to see how the show was edited...what ACL (or TCV?) chose to include...and to hear how the sound was mixed. Fun to spot ourselves, too. wink.gif

Hi MSG!

I am so glad that you were there in person at the taping of ACL! smile.gif You are part of the recorded history of one of the early performances of TCV! Quite an honor!

Do you think that they aired the best performed songs? Since you were given the copy of the setlist, did the show follow the list in the order that they were actually played? I have the impression that they did not. Or am I mistaken on that matter? So far I have only watched the show once, and haven't checked up on the order of the songs yet. I've been too busy watching the Olympics to re-play the show. I will look for you and your hubby in the audience, on the side by JPJ, when I watch it again.

The sound from the show does not do justice to the power (and loudness) of being at the concert in person, do you agree? Or did the band have the volume toned down since it was being recorded? That may possibly explain the problems with the sound mixing, due to the sheer loudness of the actual concert. Who knows?

I'm sorry but as good as JPJ and Dave Grohl are, not knowing much previously about Josh and that shinehead dude, the band doesn't do it for me. I wish it did as I'm looking for a "new" band that rocks my boat.

I don't see what it is about TCV that excites everyone so much. Just because JPJ is in it that doesn't make them essential. His solo music, especially ZOOMA is MUCH superior, IMO.

I'm sorry but as good as JPJ and Dave Grohl are, not knowing much previously about Josh and that shinehead dude, the band doesn't do it for me. I wish it did as I'm looking for a "new" band that rocks my boat.

I don't see what it is about TCV that excites everyone so much. Just because JPJ is in it that doesn't make them essential. His solo music, especially ZOOMA is MUCH superior, IMO.

i semi-agree. his solo is better, especially Zooma, but TCV are good too.

Zooma...interesting..there's a magazine in Canada called Zoomers..it's for people over 50..

I believe it was created by the former boss of CITY TV...Moses Znaimer...

TCV is an interesting project..some of the tunes are intense..perhaps a bit too heavy..I assume that was the intent when they were composed...

Juliet :coffee:

Archived