Snow Jobs 3/19/75

Zep 4 Life

So my uncle gave me some Zeppelin bootlegs that he has and I just started listening to them. They're the first live stuff I've heard outside of the BBC sessions, and stuff on their DVD's.

Anyways I was wondering if anyone else here has heard this show? I think it's amazing, but I wasn't sure how it compared with some of their other shows. Highlights in my mind include a funky sounding Kashmir, 44 minute version of Dazed, and an excellent version of No Quarter.

If you are really into this topic like I was when I first started listening to bootlegs (still am of course). I suggest your browse the entire history of this Live forum section as you will find many topics on what you are asking. I have many bookmarked but they no longer work since the forum changed. There is one called fav. / favorite boots.

[Crap i just wrote two paragraphs thinking you were talking about 03-14-75]

I think the order you listened to bootlegs in and the mood (and state of mind) can be a huge factor in how you interpret it. If I were you I would do your best to listen to shows in chronological order, at least within a specific tour/year.

I think many consider this one of the better 75 shows, and If i recall the bass is louder than most. That is very cool when trying to appreciate JPJ's work, especially on In My Time of Dying, but I prefer a balanced or guitar strong sound. I think 02-12 has the loudest guitar and 02-16 has the best overall sound balance. Also I do not think any versions of songs from this are the best ones. I have not listened to this show start to end and thats a huge factor.

As far as the No Quarter (live No Quarter discussion if my fav music topic there is) for this show it marked (Im not sure if 03-17 was similar since ive not heard it) a specific subcategory of 1975 No Quarters. This is where for some reason in the middle of JPJ's piano solo he shifted the tempo up another level (I believe this is also a reason why these versions are 20-25 mins instead of longer) and everything after that was played at like 1.5x speed. You could call this NQ on speed/crack, at least the solos section. While I think that makes it a more fun of a No Quarter I do not prefer it since the sections of solos I love so much are just blown by faster. I think in general its considered a slower tempo song but there are parts of solos where it gets faster for a few seconds or even minutes and with this type I find that dynamic is gone. I also find that Page becomes more confused about where he is supposed to step in and sometimes he does it too early (tho this happens in many other versions too) and cuts of JPJs who is moving in a very exciting direction. If you like this style of No Quarter then you would love 03-21 Seattle version (unfortunately not out (Yet?!) in soundboard).

As far as the No Quarter (live No Quarter discussion if my fav music topic there is) for this show it marked (Im not sure if 03-17 was similar since ive not heard it) a specific subcategory of 1975 No Quarters. This is where for some reason in the middle of JPJ's piano solo he shifted the tempo up another level (I believe this is also a reason why these versions are 20-25 mins instead of longer) and everything after that was played at like 1.5x speed. You could call this NQ on speed/crack, at least the solos section. While I think that makes it a more fun of a No Quarter I do not prefer it since the sections of solos I love so much are just blown by faster. I think in general its considered a slower tempo song but there are parts of solos where it gets faster for a few seconds or even minutes and with this type I find that dynamic is gone. I also find that Page becomes more confused about where he is supposed to step in and sometimes he does it too early (tho this happens in many other versions too) and cuts of JPJs who is moving in a very exciting direction. If you like this style of No Quarter then you would love 03-21 Seattle version (unfortunately not out (Yet?!) in soundboard).

No Quarter on cocaine more like it mate! You can hear it in the performances almost. You can almost hear the coke in the '77 LA versions, especially Badgeholders and Eddie. But who's complaining?

Thanks for the advice Eric. I am definitely going to start to look for more live shows.

My uncle gave me a good variety of shows including one of (if not their first) live shows back in 69, one from Osaka (72 I believe), the 2007 show in London, the show the day after Jimi Hendrix passed away, and a few others.

So now it's time to continue to expand I suppose.

Look for Danke Vienna (3/16/73). One of my favorite shows. Outstanding Dazed and Confused! Page is on FIRE on this one! This show is perfect example of why you'll hear a lot of people say Euro '73 was Zeppelin as it's peak and firing on all cylinders.

Yeah, and then people who know what they're talking about will correct those nitwits and point out that Robert Plant was definitely *not* firing on all cylinders during the Euro '73 tour.

Stick to 1969 to 1972, junior, and you'll be much better off.

Love,

Billy

Genreally NQ seemed to become jazzier(both in pace and JPJs soloing)as the US 75 tour progressed, pretty much all the versions towards the end have the same style. Page did sometimes have a bit of trouble joining I agree but thats pretty much the only negative for me with the JPJ/Bonham sections espeically becoming vastly more interesting.

I'v though for awhile that the reason for the change may well have been JPJ listening to some Keith Jarret. The 75 tour went down just as his solo piano albums(The Köln Concert actually came out during it) were getting attension and they featured the same eccetic mix of styles(jazz, classical, blues etc) all mixed up.

Yeah, and then people who know what they're talking about will correct those nitwits and point out that Robert Plant was definitely *not* firing on all cylinders during the Euro '73 tour.

Love,

Billy

Despite more frequent cracks in Robert Plants voice, the band was overall solid. Personal favorite D&C is from Offenburg.

Another good way Zep 4 Life can start, is by comparing the official live material with their unedited bootleg versions.

No Quarter on cocaine more like it mate! You can hear it in the performances almost. You can almost hear the coke in the '77 LA versions, especially Badgeholders and Eddie. But who's complaining?

The 77 No Quarters are another subcategory and even within 77 it varies, I think you might be thinking of the nutrocker/blues jam (depending on the show) they go into in middle of JPJs solo. This is not what I was talking about with the 03-19 and 03-21 versions. Which follow the same structure as most all the 75 piano versions its just the solo section is done at a faster tempo. I do not find this in the last LA shows of 75. It would be hard to explain exactly what we mean without saying "her this" with audio.

Genreally NQ seemed to become jazzier(both in pace and JPJs soloing)as the US 75 tour progressed, pretty much all the versions towards the end have the same style. Page did sometimes have a bit of trouble joining I agree but thats pretty much the only negative for me with the JPJ/Bonham sections espeically becoming vastly more interesting.

I'v though for awhile that the reason for the change may well have been JPJ listening to some Keith Jarret. The 75 tour went down just as his solo piano albums(The Köln Concert actually came out during it) were getting attension and they featured the same eccetic mix of styles(jazz, classical, blues etc) all mixed up.

Right, but the thing I was talking about with the 03-19 and 03-21 versions was not to do with that. Pages solo is also speed up. 03-27 Is one of my favorite No Quarters, it has the best piano solo of any IMO and it gets super up tempo, but thats normal in his piano solo, its not the same thing Im refering to with the entire tempo shift in 03-19 or 03-21. Pages solo is not of the same speed up tempo.

The first Seattle show on March 17 (ha! 35 years ago today!) had "No Quarter" performed in a similar version to the 19th. Along with Feb 28, March 17 is probably my favourite '75 "NQ". Check it out if you haven't.

Love,

Billy

There's no need for hostility. If you don't like the Euro '73 shows, that's up to you. I do. What's the problem?

There's no need for hostility. If you don't like the Euro '73 shows, that's up to you. I do. What's the problem?

Hi,

Exactly right there was good stuff from every period, I really like some of the 1973 stuff especially the Southampton CDs (Winston Remaster is a favourite), but there is good stuff (and some not so good) across all the years.

Seems a pity to pretty much dismiss 8 years worth of music but whatever turns you on.

Andy

Love,

Billy

Aside from June 3rd, Plant didn't sound much better than he did during the European run in 73. And I know I personally prefer a well-oiled Zeppelin with a hoarse Plant than a vocally stunning Plant infront of a smacked out band.

Vienna and Offenburg are spectacles of absolute brutal dominance.

As for Vancouver 3.19, I like the show. Not their best of the tour, but the good sound quality adds to the performance.

The 77 No Quarters are another subcategory and even within 77 it varies, I think you might be thinking of the nutrocker/blues jam (depending on the show) they go into in middle of JPJs solo. This is not what I was talking about with the 03-19 and 03-21 versions. Which follow the same structure as most all the 75 piano versions its just the solo section is done at a faster tempo. I do not find this in the last LA shows of 75. It would be hard to explain exactly what we mean without saying "her this" with audio.

Yeah I know what you mean and I am very familiar with the '75 versions of N Quarter. I was just using it as a point of comparison in regards to my cocaine comment. But in '75 I'm pretty sure the band would have been constantly on cocaine during shows, although I could be wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the 77 versions of No Quarter are superior to the 75 versions. Listen to this eddie's version of No Quarter is outstanding.

Anyways, Snow Jobs is a decent show. the playing could have been a bit better, but the sound is excellent & the plantations are funny also.

I think the 77 versions of No Quarter are superior to the 75 versions. Listen to this eddie's version of No Quarter is outstanding.

Anyways, Snow Jobs is a decent show. the playing could have been a bit better, but the sound is excellent & the plantations are funny also.

Hmm, Superior is a big word. They were structurally very similar only big difference is the 40/50's / Blues / Lounge Jam. Please join the discussion in the soon to come No Quarter structure thread.

Hmm, Superior is a big word. They were structurally very similar only big difference is the 40/50's / Blues / Lounge Jam. Please join the discussion in the soon to come No Quarter structure thread.

Yes, the structure was similar, I think Jones' choice of melodies & overall playing was better on that tour. The Jazz Jam definitely grabs & takes you on a different journey than previous versions also, and i will join that discussion, I love examining structures of songs

• 5 months later...

Archived