jason bonham talks zep

slave to zep

apologies if this has been posted already ( and please remove if it has sam :) )

i saw this on a friends facebook ....

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/jason-bonham-on-his-led-zeppelin-experience-261379/4

very interesting!

So it seems Kennedy wasn't the only candidate. If so, I wonder who the other candidate was, because I doubt he's referring to Steven Tyler...

So it seems Kennedy wasn't the only candidate. If so, I wonder who the other candidate was, because I doubt he's referring to Steven Tyler...

I wonder. Chris Cornell springs to mind as I think he could have pulled it off fantastically (listen to the first Audioslave album).

I don't think he's referring to Tyler as that's public knowledge and it was a failed attempt by Tyler, Joe Perry confirmed that.

I wonder. Chris Cornell springs to mind as I think he could have pulled it off fantastically (listen to the first Audioslave album).

I don't think he's referring to Tyler as that's public knowledge and it was a failed attempt by Tyler, Joe Perry confirmed that.

Cornell was pretty dismissive of the rumors linking him to the "new" Zep, I doubt it's him...

I'm sorry, but this just makes all the angrier with Robert. All along he said he would be open to something if new material was done instead of just rehashing the old hits, so they (J, J & J) worked on shit for a year! And then Robert blows them off.

Nice way to treat your friends.

I'm sorry, but this just makes all the angrier with Robert. All along he said he would be open to something if new material was done instead of just rehashing the old hits, so they (J, J & J) worked on shit for a year! And then Robert blows them off.

The impression I get is that he said no to more Zeppelin and then JPJ, Jimmy and Jason worked on new material.

Also, it would be a very risky thing releasing a new Zeppelin album as by its nature as if it didn't live up to people's expectations it would mean that Zeppelin didn't end on a high. Also, Robert made new music with Jimmy in the '90s so he may feel as though he's 'been there, done that'.

Personally, I'm overjoyed with their recent efforts. Raising Sand was brilliant as wad the self titled Them Crooked Vultures album and it seems we may finally hear Jimmy's long awaited new solo material.

And yeah Cornell was dismissive, just think seeing as he's one of the very few people who could pull it off they could have considered him. I wonder if the mystery singer was David Coverplant. Great as Coverdale/Page he wouldn't have been the right guy for the job.

Hi 'bluecongo'

Look at it this way for a moment, you hang out with a group of Musicians for a while, one is your mate the other two are acquaintances, nothing more, you go on holiday with one of those guys a few times the other one not so much. Neither of the two acquittance's go to your sons funeral, you form band after band but in the end you only like your own company and of course because the bands are really just backing musicians you are the real Star and your Ego Grows and Grows until you reach the point where you can never share the Limelight again. :o

Sounds familiar? ;)

I've omitted all the Names to protect the Guilty and to avoid a Lawsuit myself, Friends? never, well maybe just on the Third Album. :lol:

Regards, Danny

Hi 'bluecongo'

Look at it this way for a moment, you hang out with a group of Musicians for a while, one is your mate the other two are acquaintances, nothing more, you go on holiday with one of those guys a few times the other one not so much. Neither of the two acquittance's go to your sons funeral, you form band after band but in the end you only like your own company and of course because the bands are really just backing musicians you are the real Star and your Ego Grows and Grows until you reach the point where you can never share the Limelight again. :o

Sounds familiar? ;)

I've omitted all the Names to protect the Guilty and to avoid a Lawsuit myself, Friends? never, well maybe just on the Third Album. :lol:

Regards, Danny

I certainly get the feeling that Robert was a lot closer to Jimmy than JPJ. Although I don't know, certainly I think the Page/Plant thing did nothing for the relationship between the three of them. Remember JPJ's infamous line during the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame induction?

Don't you think if he was open to it he would have participated in it? I do. Whatever they did was on their own. He was never obliged to join.

I think Robert led them on. Jimmy wouldn't have put in all that effort with out some kind of signal from Robert post-02 concert.

However, the more important question is, who has the demos of those sessions and when will they get leaked?

Don't you think if he was open to it he would have participated in it? I do. Whatever they did was on their own. He was never obliged to join.

Sounds simplistic.

Hi Steve,

As a much closer person to the band than i ever was, can you let us in to your little secret of why you don't agree with my logical conclusion? based as i said on logic and the knowledge of a friend who was and is much closer to the band members than we both could ever be. ;)

Regards, Danny

Robert made it clear from the outset (3 months before the O2 concert) that as far as he was concerned it was a one off and, if they continued, it would be without him. I never heard any quote from the time directly contradicting that stance. He had Raising Sand ready to go and was clearly looking forward to that.

Well sorry but I didn't see Jason(or Jimmy or John Paul) has ever stated that they had new material "done". They tried for a year to put stuff together, but did the effort come to fruit? Or who knows if they had shown it to Robert? Or was it "new" and exciting enough for Robert? None of us knows unless one day the people involved would open up and tell.

Hi Steve,

As a much closer person to the band than i ever was, can you let us in to your little secret of why you don't agree with my logical conclusion? based as i said on logic and the knowledge of a friend who was and is much closer to the band members than we both could ever be. wink.gif

Regards, Danny

I said it was simplistic; I neither agreed nor disagreed but insofar as Page & JPJ being mere acquaintances of Plant I can only roll my eyes.

I said it was simplistic; I neither agreed nor disagreed but insofar as Page & JPJ being mere acquaintances of Plant I can only roll my eyes.

Hi Steve,

Sorry, i was being my usual piss taking self, but i find that if these type of guys were not "FRIENDS" from an early age then i wouldn't call them "FRIENDS" at all, they shared a common interest, Music, not much else, and to not go to a "FRIENDS SONS FUNERAL" tells it all to me, and then the other to not let one of his "FRIENDS" in to a collaboration with the other "FRIEND" is the icing on the cake for me.

They were no more than "WORK COLLEAGUES" at best, whatever some peoples imaginations might conjure up theses guys were never "FRIENDS" in the "TRUE" Sense of the Word.

Regards, Danny

PS, I do remember Knebby saying this somewhat more eloquently than I have, some months ago.

i get what you are saying here dan, but really who knows the truth about all that? only the people involved. it could be much more complicated ( or simpler ) than we can imagine. it was a long time ago, and robert clearly didn't have a problem with jimmy ( or he was able to get over it ) as he collaborated with jimmy for the unledded project. i have seen a video of the two of them arriving for rehearsals, and they give eachother a warm hug, smiles all round, this was during the unledded period. it was clear they were good mates, at least then. as for robert and jonesy, i have no idea what the problem could be, and again, only they really do. i know knebby said that after the 02 jimmy and robert weren't on the best of terms again, but maybe that's all ok now too..... but as for you saying that robertego was the problem, and that the rest were just his backing musos .... well, sorry, that is just not how i see it, just watch the video of robert talking about jimmy ( i forget what it was for, some award ) he clearly has admiration for his musicianship, and i believe they all respect eachother as equals.

just my opinion ;)

i get what you are saying here dan, but really who knows the truth about all that? only the people involved. it could be much more complicated ( or simpler ) than we can imagine. it was a long time ago, and robert clearly didn't have a problem with jimmy ( or he was able to get over it ) as he collaborated with jimmy for the unledded project. i have seen a video of the two of them arriving for rehearsals, and they give eachother a warm hug, smiles all round, this was during the unledded period. it was clear they were good mates, at least then. as for robert and jonesy, i have no idea what the problem could be, and again, only they really do. i know knebby said that after the 02 jimmy and robert weren't on the best of terms again, but maybe that's all ok now too..... but as for you saying that robertego was the problem, and that the rest were just his backing musos .... well, sorry, that is just not how i see it, just watch the video of robert talking about jimmy ( i forget what it was for, some award ) he clearly has admiration for his musicianship, and i believe they all respect eachother as equals.

just my opinion ;)

Hi S2Z,

And you opinion is as worthy as mine. :D But mine ain't all opinion, i know a person who knows you know? say no more. ;)

The bit about "robertego" (i like that) and his "backing musos" was a reference to Musicians in His New Bands, not his former Colleagues, if Robert had any Friendly Feelings towards JPJ then 1994 was the time to make that call, he didn't and told Jimmy he didn't want JPJ involved in his New Project, "Page and Plant".

I followed the road of Logic and Extrapolation, with as much Fact as i could get to come to my Conclusion, its not based on Conjecture and Rumour and Misinformation.

Don't get me wrong, i would like them to get together as much as any on here, but there is more chance of World Peace Breaking Out, or England Winning a Football Trophy than a Led Zeppelin Reunion Tour, well that's what my source tells me anyway. :(

Nice to talk again.:beer:

Kind Regards, Danny

Hi S2Z,

And you opinion is as worthy as mine. :D But mine ain't all opinion, i know a person who knows you know? say no more. ;)

The bit about "robertego" (i like that) and his "backing musos" was a reference to Musicians in His New Bands, not his former Colleagues, if Robert had any Friendly Feelings towards JPJ then 1994 was the time to make that call, he didn't and told Jimmy he didn't want JPJ involved in his New Project, "Page and Plant".

I followed the road of Logic and Extrapolation, with as much Fact as i could get to come to my Conclusion, its not based on Conjecture and Rumour and Misinformation.

Don't get me wrong, i would like them to get together as much as any on here, but there is more chance of World Peace Breaking Out, or England Winning a Football Trophy than a Led Zeppelin Reunion Tour, well that's what my source tells me anyway. :(

Nice to talk again.:beer:

Kind Regards, Danny

sorry about the typo. :slapface:

ok, so you know someone who knows. but i still think there's really only 3 people who really know. y'know? no? :D

but i think you are right about the possibilities of a zep tour, about as possible that i came from royalty than convicts. :P

i know knebby said that after the 02 jimmy and robert weren't on the best of terms again, but maybe that's all ok now too......

If Mick Wall's book is anything to go by a possible reason for this is that allegedly Plant said he'd do The O2 show if there was no 'heavy metal' (ie Immigrant Song and Achilles) and no extended jams which JPJ and Jimmy weren't too happy about. Wall also says that Robert wasn't too happy that neither listened to copies of Raising Sand he gave them and according to Plant they don't acknowledge what he's doing as valid.

sorry about the typo. :slapface:

ok, so you know someone who knows. but i still think there's really only 3 people who really know. y'know? no? :D

but i think you are right about the possibilities of a zep tour, about as possible that i came from royalty than convicts. :P

Hi S2Z,

The chances that you have a Royal connection from way back are about even if you consider the amount of extra marital behaviour past Kings and Princes have been up too. :o

As for you being Australian and that you come from Convict Stock, well that's at least a Million to One On I'm afraid, but don't let that get you down, my Great Grandfather did more time in prison than he did out so the difference between you and me is that your Ancestor got deported whereas mine didn't, and i think that in the long run your Ancestor might have drawn the Long Straw. :lol:

Kind Regards, Danny

Hi Steve,

Sorry, i was being my usual piss taking self, but i find that if these type of guys were not "FRIENDS" from an early age then i wouldn't call them "FRIENDS" at all, they shared a common interest, Music, not much else, and to not go to a "FRIENDS SONS FUNERAL" tells it all to me, and then the other to not let one of his "FRIENDS" in to a collaboration with the other "FRIEND" is the icing on the cake for me.

They were no more than "WORK COLLEAGUES" at best, whatever some peoples imaginations might conjure up theses guys were never "FRIENDS" in the "TRUE" Sense of the Word.

Regards, Danny

PS, I do remember Knebby saying this somewhat more eloquently than I have, some months ago.

I'm 41 and I'm fortunate to have my best friends from childhood still a big part of my life. But some of my best friends are people I didn't even meet until I hit 30. I think those four guys lived many lifetimes together from 1968-1980, and I have no doubt there's a strong, strong bond there beneath the disagreements and ups and downs they've had over the years.

Hi 'bluecongo'

Look at it this way for a moment, you hang out with a group of Musicians for a while, one is your mate the other two are acquaintances, nothing more, you go on holiday with one of those guys a few times the other one not so much. Neither of the two acquittance's go to your sons funeral, you form band after band but in the end you only like your own company and of course because the bands are really just backing musicians you are the real Star and your Ego Grows and Grows until you reach the point where you can never share the Limelight again. ohmy.gif

Sounds familiar? wink.gif

I've omitted all the Names to protect the Guilty and to avoid a Lawsuit myself, Friends? never, well maybe just on the Third Album. laugh.gif

Regards, Danny

Hi Danny,

The subject of JPJ and JP not going to Karac Plant's funeral has rumbled on for years. I wish I had kept my Zeppelin newspaper cuttings because I am sure I remember reading some years after the funeral that Jimmy Page said he had written to Robert asking if he wanted him to attend. My recollection was that he couldn't understand why RP was now making out that he (JP) simply didn't attend. If John Paul Jones and Jimmy had turned up, it would have meant all four band members were present and the public might have taken photographs/asked for autographs at a small child's funeral. I think that both JP and JPJ are sufficiently well mannered to have made approaches as to whether their attendance at the funeral would be advisable.

I realise that you have a contact who was/is very close to the band and, also, that lovely Knebby is a friend of Robert's, but I am going to say it anyway. What is worse JPJ and JP not attending a funeral, or Robert cheating on his wife and the mother of his children for years with a succession of groupies?

Archived