jason bonham talks zep

slave to zep

Hi Steve,

Sorry, i was being my usual piss taking self, but i find that if these type of guys were not "FRIENDS" from an early age then i wouldn't call them "FRIENDS" at all, they shared a common interest, Music, not much else, and to not go to a "FRIENDS SONS FUNERAL" tells it all to me, and then the other to not let one of his "FRIENDS" in to a collaboration with the other "FRIEND" is the icing on the cake for me.

They were no more than "WORK COLLEAGUES" at best, whatever some peoples imaginations might conjure up theses guys were never "FRIENDS" in the "TRUE" Sense of the Word.

Regards, Danny

PS, I do remember Knebby saying this somewhat more eloquently than I have, some months ago.

I know what you're saying - and there's the whole North/South thing as well - and I don't disagree I just think "acquaintance" is far too dismissive of their collective history. The Who seldom got on socially yet it would be preposterous to say they were mere acquaintances. As far as the funeral there's four sides to that story; sometimes people don't react to a death in the manner in which we would expect.

I know what you're saying - and there's the whole North/South thing as well - and I don't disagree I just think "acquaintance" is far too dismissive of their collective history. The Who seldom got on socially yet it would be preposterous to say they were mere acquaintances. As far as the funeral there's four sides to that story; sometimes people don't react to a death in the manner in which we would expect.

Thanks Steve,

The "acquaintance" thing was my mistake, a piss take, i thought i cleared that up, if not i have now i hope. And its not just the funeral, think back to 1994, RP just didn't want JPJ to be in on it, FRIENDS? REAL FRIENDS? i don't think so, more like ENEMIES if you ask me.

A couple of my Old Friends once met up with RP in a pub in the West End of London, just bumped in to him, with him were Roger Taylor of Queen, Ian Gillan of Deep Purple, and a few other Rock Celebs, no JP or JPJ, and this is in the City where they live, I'm not making too much of it but it is another bit of why i don't think i would call them FRIENDS. Thanks again for being so cordial. :beer:

Regards, Danny

PS, If mobile phones had been around in those days i would have been up to see em in a second, i still have sleepless nights over it. :lol:

I'm 41 and I'm fortunate to have my best friends from childhood still a big part of my life. But some of my best friends are people I didn't even meet until I hit 30. I think those four guys lived many lifetimes together from 1968-1980, and I have no doubt there's a strong, strong bond there beneath the disagreements and ups and downs they've had over the years.

Hi 'mstork'

I kinda have to agree with you a bit, "STRONG BOND?" yes, "STRONG STRONG BOND?" yes again, "FRIENDS" i really do have a problem with that word, i just don't see it and a "FRIEND" of mine has confirmed it to me as well as the evidence of the past, if anyone close to the band can dissuade me i would be only too happy to concede, buy there would have to be a lot of explaining to do.

Regards, Danny

Hi Danny,

The subject of JPJ and JP not going to Karac Plant's funeral has rumbled on for years. I wish I had kept my Zeppelin newspaper cuttings because I am sure I remember reading some years after the funeral that Jimmy Page said he had written to Robert asking if he wanted him to attend. My recollection was that he couldn't understand why RP was now making out that he (JP) simply didn't attend. If John Paul Jones and Jimmy had turned up, it would have meant all four band members were present and the public might have taken photographs/asked for autographs at a small child's funeral. I think that both JP and JPJ are sufficiently well mannered to have made approaches as to whether their attendance at the funeral would be advisable.

I realise that you have a contact who was/is very close to the band and, also, that lovely Knebby is a friend of Robert's, but I am going to say it anyway. What is worse JPJ and JP not attending a funeral, or Robert cheating on his wife and the mother of his children for years with a succession of groupies?

Hi 'kenog',

I have to agree with you wholeheartedly, an that's probably why they aren't together today, it takes many years for a man to appreciate a woman and he may have had many indiscretions along the way, add Youth, Fame, Endless Money, Misguided "Associates", Too Much Free Time, Lonelyness, A Free and Willing Female, and you have a Lethal Mixture dont you? I might not agree with the "Way of the Celebrity" but i sure as hell can see why they do it, and mostly they are without regret because of their over inflated Egos and selfworth (or selfworthlessness).

The rest i have answered in previous posts.

Regards, Danny

PS, And its not just RP that is Guilty of Major Indiscretions, the whole Celebrity World, be it Rock, Pop, Film, Sport, whatever, seem to have been be at it at one time or another, but lets face it, if its put on a plate and you're thousands of miles from home (or yards, or feet) how many of us could resist it? not many i bet. ;)

If Mick Wall's book is anything to go by a possible reason for this is that allegedly Plant said he'd do The O2 show if there was no 'heavy metal' (ie Immigrant Song and Achilles) and no extended jams which JPJ and Jimmy weren't too happy about. Wall also says that Robert wasn't too happy that neither listened to copies of Raising Sand he gave them and according to Plant they don't acknowledge what he's doing as valid.

I wonder if he rushed out to buy the zooma and the thunderthief and praised jpj. He sunded like some spoilt little kid, there.

I wonder if he rushed out to buy the zooma and the thunderthief and praised jpj. He sunded like some spoilt little kid, there.

Hardly. He sent them copies - I think you would expect a response in ANY walk of life to sending someone your latest work.

Also, I seem to have had a lot to say in this thread without actually posting anything in it at all.

Hardly. He sent them copies - I think you would expect a response in ANY walk of life to sending someone your latest work.

Also, I seem to have had a lot to say in this thread without actually posting anything in it at all.

The whole thing sounds pretty disfunctional. Was there absolutely NO mention whatsoever by the other. None at all? (although that is understandable up to a point).

Did he ask them about it? (along the lines of "did you get the album lads, what did you think?)

Or did he just sit and brood on it and wait for THEM to mention it (which would be sooooooooooo wrong!)

Or maybe, like me, they just really didnt like the album and didnt want to say so. Or sit and lie about it by pretending to be impressed.

Yeah.

How many RP fans who extol the virtues of Raising Sand would previously have spent a significant amount of time listening to and GENUINELY enjoying this kind of music? That's right - about three.

They only like it because it's RP. I reckon if he recorded himself farting in a biscuit tin, the same people would be declaring it a work of genius.

It is of course RP's prerogative to record this or any other music he chooses. Equally, it is our prerogative to judge it somnolent sap.

Yeah.

How many RP fans who extol the virtues of Raising Sand would previously have spent a significant amount of time listening to and GENUINELY enjoying this kind of music? That's right - about three.

They only like it because it's RP. I reckon if he recorded himself farting in a biscuit tin, the same people would be declaring it a work of genius.

It is of course RP's prerogative to record this or any other music he chooses. Equally, it is our prerogative to judge it somnolent sap.

I don't understand why people who enjoy what Robert's done post Zep are somehow considered having blind admiration? I've loved country music, blues, roots music, Americana well before RP recorded Raising Sand. I don't love what he does because he's Robert Plant. I love what he does because I think it's good.

You're right - it is your choice not to like it. Totally fine. Taste is subjective but what I don't get is yours and others need to completely bash it and those who do like it.

Dan it's ridicioulus to think they aren't friends because Robert does not want a reunion and because Jones was not invited into the Page/Plant project!

Why would Plant as a friend of Page and Jones automatically have to sing in Zeppelin? He moved on, he has got new projects, he doesn't want to sing those old Zep song in the standard fashion and his voice is also not what is used to be! Why would it have to be his ego, that would stop him from working with zep?? And if they would record new material, it might perhaps not be to well accepted and so he didn't even want to go into that!

And most importantly he just simply doesn't want to sing in zeppelin!! Is that so hard to understand?? He just bloody doesn't want to!! And they can still be friends, even if probably Page was a bit angry and the whole reunion tour was probably canceled because of Plant. A huge reason is also that Bonzo is dead and no one can really replace him well enough!!

And he didn't invite Jones into Page/Plant because he didn't want it to be a zep reunion! And he also wanted all kinds of extra musicians onstage, to make it more exotic and experimental, so how could he do that, if his ego is so big??And Jonesy was never really in the spotlight anyway! And basicaly they played Zep, because they didn't have much else to play! And Plant desperately wanted new material and when Clarksdale wasn't too succesfull, i guess he ended the whole thing, because he didn't want just to play Zep!!

And equally, oddly enough in your skewed view of the world, the prerogative of those who like it to just LIKE it for whatever reasons they Goddam choose.

Your inability to empathise with others must be a real hindrance in your life.

And he didn't invite Jones into Page/Plant because he didn't want it to be a zep reunion! And he also wanted all kinds of extra musicians onstage, to make it more exotic and experimental, so how could he do that, if his ego is so big??And Jonesy was never really in the spotlight anyway! And basicaly they played Zep, because they didn't have much else to play! And Plant desperately wanted new material and when Clarksdale wasn't too succesfull, i guess he ended the whole thing, because he didn't want just to play Zep!!

I agree with most of your post but can I just point out it was THEY who didn't invite Jones. The project was Page & Plant, not Plant & Plant. Jimmy didn't invite Jones either, Robert ALWAYS takes the heat for this.

And equally, oddly enough in your skewed view of the world, the prerogative of those who like it to just LIKE it for whatever reasons they Goddam choose.

Your inability to empathise with others must be a real hindrance in your life.

:lol::bait:

I agree with most of your post but can I just point out it was THEY who didn't invite Jones. The project was Page & Plant, not Plant & Plant. Jimmy didn't invite Jones either, Robert ALWAYS takes the heat for this.

That might be true, but i got a feeling that Page would gladly see Jones to come along, but I guess he had to accept Robert's terms! Just guessing!!!!

That might be true, but i got a feeling that Page would gladly see Jones to come along, but I guess he had to accept Robert's terms! Just guessing!!!!

If you believe JPJ, the whole unledded deal went down something like this: Page approaches Jones & tells him he wants to get the band back together--Says he's going to try to convince Robert. Robert, not interestedin a full-blown Zeppelin reunion, agrees to do Unledded with Jimmy only. Jimmy, so happy to finally convince Robert to do something Zeppelin related, agrees & fails to relay the message to Jones.

If you believe JPJ, the whole unledded deal went down something like this: Page approaches Jones & tells him he wants to get the band back together--Says he's going to try to convince Robert. Robert, not interestedin a full-blown Zeppelin reunion, agrees to do Unledded with Jimmy only. Jimmy, so happy to finally convince Robert to do something Zeppelin related, agrees & fails to relay the message to Jones.

Actually my understanding is Robert was approached by MTV to do an unplugged show (on his own(and he asked Page to join him. I could be wrong but that's how I always thought it happened.

Actually my understanding is Robert was approached by MTV to do an unplugged show (on his own(and he asked Page to join him. I could be wrong but that's how I always thought it happened.

That is what I heard at the time as well. I believe that the Coverdale/Page project was motivation for Robert to call Jimmy. (My speculation)

I think Robert was just let down by Page/Jones after Karac's death because the allusion that had been their well crafted inner circle was finally showing it's true colors. Also, I just feel neither Page nor Jones really knew how to handle the news, especially Page. Obviously, this forever changed their relationships.

Plant gets the bad rap from the P/P reunion because of the "parking the car" remark. If Jones was solely upset at Robert, he wouldn't have said "friend(s)" during the RnR HOF Inductions. ;)

And Raising Sand is damn good. How can anyone say it wouldn't have been any good if Plant wasn't on it? What the fuck kind of logic is that? Yes, Led Zeppelin wouldn't have been any good had Robert not been singing in it either. :rolleyes:

Fuckin' kids...

And Raising Sand is damn good. How can anyone say it wouldn't have been any good if Plant wasn't on it? What the fuck kind of logic is that? Yes, Led Zeppelin wouldn't have been any good had Robert not been singing in it either. :rolleyes:

Fuckin' kids...

If you're referring to my post, I didn't say 'it wouldn't have been any good if Plant wasn't on it'. In fact, I didn't even say it was any good WITH Plant on it.

Dan it's ridicioulus to think they aren't friends because Robert does not want a reunion and because Jones was not invited into the Page/Plant project!

Why would Plant as a friend of Page and Jones automatically have to sing in Zeppelin? He moved on, he has got new projects, he doesn't want to sing those old Zep song in the standard fashion and his voice is also not what is used to be! Why would it have to be his ego, that would stop him from working with zep?? And if they would record new material, it might perhaps not be to well accepted and so he didn't even want to go into that!

And most importantly he just simply doesn't want to sing in zeppelin!! Is that so hard to understand?? He just bloody doesn't want to!! And they can still be friends, even if probably Page was a bit angry and the whole reunion tour was probably canceled because of Plant. A huge reason is also that Bonzo is dead and no one can really replace him well enough!!

Hi 'Matjaz1'

When i have a Dinner Party, B-B-Q, Bar Mitzvah, the people who come, apart from family, are in fact FRIENDS, when was the last time RP invited any of his so called FRIENDS, "JP or JPJ", to one of these gatherings? any idea? if you can come up with something substantial I'll submit to THEM being FRIENDS, until then I'll stick with my Gut Feelings, Logic, Intelligence and Knowledge, i could still be wrong, someone make it so, Please.

Regards, Danny

PS, ROBERT PLANT And BAND OF JOY In Memphis

The set list for the show was as follows:

01. Down To The Sea

02. Angel Dance (new song)

03. Please Read The Letter Page and Plant

04. House of Cards (new song)

05. Misty Mountain Hop Led Zeppelin

06. Monkey Additional (new song)

07. Twelve Gates to the City / Wade in the Water / In My Time of Dying Led Zeppelin

08. Rich Woman

09. Gone, Gone, Gone Done Moved On

10. All The King's Horses

11. Nobody's Fault But Mine Led Zeppelin

12. Satan, Your Kingdom Must Come Down (new song)

13. Central Two-0-Nine (new song)

14. Houses Of The Holy Led Zeppelin

15. Tall Cool One

16. Harm's Swift Way (new song)

17. Gallows Pole Led Zeppelin

Encore

18. Thank You Led Zeppelin

19. Rock & Roll Led Zeppelin

20. And We Bid You Goodnight

20 Songs

7 by Led Zeppelin

1 by Page and Plant

6 new songs

Sounds like he is still very interested in Led Zeppelin Songs to me, rather than trying to appease the Led Zeppelin Fans in his audience, your thoughts on that if you please, Thank You. ;)

http://www.roadrunne...wsitemID=143064

PPS, :wtf:Misty Mountain Hop, bring back Jimmy. :lol:

I think Robert was just let down by Page/Jones after Karac's death because the allusion that had been their well crafted inner circle was finally showing it's true colors. Also, I just feel neither Page nor Jones really knew how to handle the news, especially Page. Obviously, this forever changed their relationships.

Plant gets the bad rap from the P/P reunion because of the "parking the car" remark. If Jones was solely upset at Robert, he wouldn't have said "friend(s)" during the RnR HOF Inductions. ;)

Fuckin' kids...

You got it, Daddy-O. :lol:

I would have to disagree with Led Zeppelin not being any good without Robert, as there would never have been a Led Zeppelin without Robert Plant. :whistling:

Regards, Danny

Yeah.

I suspect a decent percentage of the fans going to the Band of Joy concerts fall into this category but then I would go see Jimmy Page if he was playing with a bluegrass band so I'm not judging anyone.

Archived