Peoples Music Taste

At my school ive been told repeatedly that Led Zeppelin stinks. This one kid thinks that Eminem is better that Zep and some people think Taylor Swift is better, I want to know if anyone here has heard other peoples bad music tastes and who they think is better than Zepangry.gif

At my school ive been told repeatedly that Led Zeppelin stinks. This one kid thinks that Eminem is better that Zep and some people think Taylor Swift is better, I want to know if anyone here has heard other peoples bad music tastes and who they think is better than Zepangry.gif

In most cases, there is no "better than" when it comes to music...it's just what people like to listen to.

In MOST cases. In Eminem's case.........what musical instrument does he play? Did you ever actually hear him SING? If anyone at your school has links showing Eminem doing either, tell them to post them here.

There are a lot of guitar players who are technically better than Jimmy Page but when I listen to their music, I don't FEEL anything. that's what it's all about. How certain music makes you FEEL.

Even if it is Eminem.............I guess.wink.gif

IMO, Eminem have more rock attitude than most indie rockers out there. I was shocked to see him in MTV's tops of rock, but it makes sense. Here is an explanation why rap is a type of rock:

http://forums.nutsie.com/viewtopic.php?t=13710

About OP's question: what Ronzo said. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and taste in music, as long as they don't mindlessly attack Zep ;) . In this case you could laugh in their nose, knowing that Zep have more lasting popularity than 99% of the music artists of all time. If you want arguments to counter the bashing,look here:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2221732954&v=app_2373072738

Who cares what people think? Let people listen to and enjoy what they want. If they think Led Zeppelin sucks.....how does that affect you? If they think Eminem and Taylor Swift are better......what's the big deal? That's what they think. You think different. It's all subjective. Live and let live, yada yada yada.

I am quite sure Eminem himself knows for a fact he is not anywhere close to Lec Zeppelin when you compare them historically, or if you want to talk about selling albums. Its ridiculous for that kid to even say that. Its comparing apples and oranges. Two differnt, well, I was going to say types of music. But would rap even fall into the categoy of music? As the other poster says, he does not play an instrument, at least to my knowledge. The next time he says Led Zepp sucks. Tell him Rap sucks. And if you want, you may want to tell him that every single album they made was a gold record award. I would probably just slap himtongue.gif

I agree with most commenting on this thread. It's almost impossible to compare an artist such as Eminem with Led Zeppelin. Two totally different styles from two different eras.

Like comparing Frank Sinatra to Frank Zappa. It's really an irrelevant argument and not worth getting in a tizzy over.

I agree with most commenting on this thread. It's almost impossible to compare an artist such as Eminem with Led Zeppelin. Two totally different styles from two different eras.

Like comparing Frank Sinatra to Frank Zappa. It's really an irrelevant argument and not worth getting in a tizzy over.

laugh.gif That is classic!!! Frank Sinatra and Frank Zappa!!!

Go tell your boy to pull out the Rolling Stone list!! No Eminemohmy.gif !!!!

Wow OP! Those kids at your school are prized idiots for criticising one of the greatest bands in the history of rock! I don't blame you for getting mad! And to top it all, comparing Led Zep to Eminem??! Wow! Like I always say rap is actually Crap (minus the "C")....but as long as those kids don't try to shove Eminem's music down your throat, I think you'll be fine! This reminds me of my school days...Some brats in my class in high school used to always boast about how they always listened to "current" and "popular" music...they literally scoffed at my music tastes which included bands like Queen, Led Zeppelin, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, The Doors and Deep Purple! They used to have this really smug and "miss high and mighty attitude" (yep! I am referring to the girls in my class in high school!) literally looking down on Led Zep! Ugh! Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a person's music tastes extremely personal? I mean c'mon! For instance, just because everyone literally throws themselves at the Jonas Brothers or Miley Cyrus or Kanye West or Beyonce, doesn't mean all the people in the world who don't "get" their music deserve to be prosecuted! And one numbskull in my class also said : "Oh! Don't tell me you are actually listening to that old fashioned band??!" Old fashioned?? Led Zep??! Yeah right! *rolls eyes

It turns out that most of the girls in my class were listening to the "latest" music out of peer pressure (to be with the "cool crowd"!) Talk about being shallow! If you like a particular band/artist, you continue listening to that band and stuff but don't shove it down other people's throats and laugh at them if their tastes in music are different from yours! Its alright for someone to express their likes or dislikes of a particular band or artist and share their opinions but making it personal and petty by scoffing at someone who doesn't comply to their music tastes, is really taking things a bit too far!

It's alright for someone to express their likes or dislikes of a particular band or artist and share their opinions but making it personal and petty by scoffing at someone who doesn't comply to their music tastes, is really taking things a bit too far!

Wow OP! Those kids at your school are prized idiots for criticising one of the greatest bands in the history of rock!

The irony, it kills.

Wow OP! Those kids at your school are prized idiots for criticising one of the greatest bands in the history of rock! I don't blame you for getting mad! And to top it all, comparing Led Zep to Eminem??! Wow! Like I always say rap is actually Crap (minus the "C")....but as long as those kids don't try to shove Eminem's music down your throat, I think you'll be fine! This reminds me of my school days...Some brats in my class in high school used to always boast about how they always listened to "current" and "popular" music...they literally scoffed at my music tastes which included bands like Queen, Led Zeppelin, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, The Doors and Deep Purple! They used to have this really smug and "miss high and mighty attitude" (yep! I am referring to the girls in my class in high school!) literally looking down on Led Zep! Ugh! Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a person's music tastes extremely personal? I mean c'mon! For instance, just because everyone literally throws themselves at the Jonas Brothers or Miley Cyrus or Kanye West or Beyonce, doesn't mean all the people in the world who don't "get" their music deserve to be prosecuted! And one numbskull in my class also said : "Oh! Don't tell me you are actually listening to that old fashioned band??!" Old fashioned?? Led Zep??! Yeah right! *rolls eyes

It turns out that most of the girls in my class were listening to the "latest" music out of peer pressure (to be with the "cool crowd"!) Talk about being shallow! If you like a particular band/artist, you continue listening to that band and stuff but don't shove it down other people's throats and laugh at them if their tastes in music are different from yours! Its alright for someone to express their likes or dislikes of a particular band or artist and share their opinions but making it personal and petty by scoffing at someone who doesn't comply to their music tastes, is really taking things a bit too far!

I'll second that. Here's my take on 'musical taste' (or lack of it): kids know what they LIKE, and that's often based on peer pressure. And their tastes often change every few months, depending on what the flavour of the month is. And that's cool, they're growing up.

As for being a judge of what's GOOD, you need a little more life experience. I didn't pick up on Zep until I was in my mid-20's. Before that, I thought they were just another bunch of stoner freaks. Which of course they may have been, but their music is clearly GOOD, and has stood the test of time - unlike a lot of the transient & ephemeral crap I was into in my teens.

Really, I'd say you have to be at least 30 or so to be a credible judge of what's GOOD. IMO.

The irony, it kills.

Whoops! Sorry for contradicting myself on that one! My mistake! slapface.gif It was a pretty "spur of the moment" post, really! I feel pretty strongly about a topic like this because I have pretty much gone through the same thing the OP had during my school days! So, it was pretty much just my take on things! Cheers! smile.gif

It is all a matter of taste. Do I think any band right now can hold a candle to Zeppelin? NOT A CHANCE! That is, however, my opinion. I do defend Zeppelin if someone wants to take a shot at them. I will come back and take stab at their music if i have to. Usually, if I don't like the music someone is playing, I just suck it up and deal with it. I always make up for it later with a lot of Zeppelin. People usually have an attachment to the music and that's what draws them in. Some people listen to whatever they think they are suppost to listen to. I may not agree with that last one, but it IS their right to do that. To get in fights about music is very juvinile and can be avoided a lot.

Just let people listen to what they like. If they don't like Zeppelin....oh well. It's their loss right? :D

Example: My girlfriend loves to listen to Eminem, Beyonce, Lady GaGa, etc...but she got me a Zeppelin T-Shirt for my B-Day and made me a keychain that spelled out "Led Zeppelin" on it. I found that to be awesome. Considering she never listens to them. She knows my love for them and respects it. I may not care for the music she listens to, but I respect her for making her OWN choice with it. We are able to live with the fact that our musical tastes are different.

I've always gotten a lot of laughs out of people who get so indignant that someone else doesn't like what they do, they have to start insulting them or upbraiding them for it. It literally makes me laugh. Maybe it's a function of my age (28) or maybe it's because I don't give two shits about what people think of the music I listen to, but if I'm talking about an artist I like with someone, and someone else pipes in and says "Oh, they suck".....I just ignore them and continue with my conversation. I don't spend and hour telling them they're wrong or they have bad taste or they're stupid or they're a fuckhead or whatever else might come to mind. I actually ignore them. I figure, what is the point in getting into an argument about it? I'm not changing their mind and they aren't changing mine. Anyway, you shouldn't change someone's mind about something subjective like this. Change their mind if they think the earth is flat, not if they think Led Zeppelin (or fill in your band of choice) sucks.

I've actually never Led Zeppelin insulted ever. Mostly when the conversation comes to music, and I talk with people who listen to Lady Gaga and Eminem, they haven't heard of Zeppelin (Shocking right?).

At the Middle School that I went to, about half of the students in my grade were Zeppelin fans of some degree. It was actually considered uncool to not, at the very least, like the Zeppelin songs that are played on Classic Rock radio stations all the time (Stairway, Black Dog, Rock and Roll, Whole Lotta Love, etc.)

I've always gotten a lot of laughs out of people who get so indignant that someone else doesn't like what they do, they have to start insulting them or upbraiding them for it. It literally makes me laugh. Maybe it's a function of my age (28) or maybe it's because I don't give two shits about what people think of the music I listen to, but if I'm talking about an artist I like with someone, and someone else pipes in and says "Oh, they suck".....I just ignore them and continue with my conversation. I don't spend and hour telling them they're wrong or they have bad taste or they're stupid or they're a fuckhead or whatever else might come to mind. I actually ignore them. I figure, what is the point in getting into an argument about it? I'm not changing their mind and they aren't changing mine. Anyway, you shouldn't change someone's mind about something subjective like this. Change their mind if they think the earth is flat, not if they think Led Zeppelin (or fill in your band of choice) sucks.

What if I said Floyd sucks. :P

What if I said Floyd sucks. :P

Then you think they suck. What am I supposed to do about it? Seriously. I think Stairway to Heaven blows chunks, other people here think it's the greatest piece of music in recorded history. Who's right? Doesn't matter, it's all opinion. They won't make me see it their way, I won't make them see it my way.

Life's too short. Listen to what you want, like what you want, hate what you want.

Hi 'Electrophile'

Jeez, how can you say Stairway blows chunks ? So 200 million people are wrong? :blink:

It's not my favourite Zepp, many people are sick of it I know, but how can you say it blows? It's no worse than Comfortably Dumb, for sure.

Why don't you like it? I'd be interested to hear.

What do you think about 'Thank You' btw?

Toni

I was jk. Of course I don't think PF sucks. But I agree that people are going to have their opinions.

Personally, I think that if someone says Led Zeppelin sucks, they probably have never really sat down and listened to them. Maybe you could burn them a copy of your favorite album.

Hi 'Electrophile'

Jeez, how can you say Stairway blows chunks ? So 200 million people are wrong? :blink:

It's not my favourite Zepp, many people are sick of it I know, but how can you say it blows? It's no worse than Comfortably Dumb, for sure.

Why don't you like it? I'd be interested to hear.

What do you think about 'Thank You' btw?

Toni

I don't like it because I'm sick of it. It's overplayed, overrated and over-considered. It's not even the best song on the album IMO, nor is it Page's best solo. I've heard it about a million times and I'm over it. Full stop. Anyway, I never said that because I don't like it, the people who do are wrong. Don't put words in my mouth.

I can't even remember the last time I played Thank You, so I have no opinion on it.

I don't like it because I'm sick of it. It's overplayed, overrated and over-considered. It's not even the best song on the album IMO, nor is it Page's best solo. I've heard it about a million times and I'm over it. Full stop. Anyway, I never said that because I don't like it, the people who do are wrong. Don't put words in my mouth.

I can't even remember the last time I played Thank You, so I have no opinion on it.

I dont listen to the radio so I dont hear it then. I only play it on special occasions so I NEVER get sick of it and never will. To me, the greatest song ever!

The "he doesn't play an instrument so he isn't a musician" argument is one of the weakest I've ever heard. So this track here isn't music?

Well, I guess that's my argument you're referring to. I got through about two minutes of this continuous drum loop before I had to stop. Again...it all comes down to taste and I guess I'm just a cranky old bastard but, I was really talking about the statement of Eminem being "better than" LZ. My post did say that there is no "better than" in people's tastes but you also can't be better than someone if you can't even do what it is they are doing.

I'm a musician Tom. I've worked hard at being one. What bugs me is that when Page steals something, he's actually playing the music where as a lot of these rappers going back some years, just sample the actual track and put it in the song. It doesn't take much to entertain the masses these days. At least not here in America.

Archived