The Rolling Stones

Levee

The Rolling Stones: The Mick Taylor Years DVD Set For Release

The Rolling Stones 1969-1974: The Mick Taylor Years will be coming to DVD on July 27th. Often regarded as the period in which The Rolling Stones recorded the finest music of their career, the years during which Mick Taylor was the fifth Stone remain the band's 'Golden Age'. Notably, on albums Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile On Main Street the Stones' sound changed as they developed new ideas and were informed by a range of new influences.

But crucially it was Taylor's sophisticated blues and jazz licks that gave The Rolling Stones an added dimension between 1969 and 1974 - one they lacked both before and afterwards. This dynamic film tells the behind the scenes story of this hugely productive era for the group.

Featuring interviews with Taylor himself and further contributions from his old boss, John Mayall; author and group colleague, Robert Greenfield; Village Voice music editor, Robert Christgau; Stones session musicians, Al Perkins and Bill Plummer; highly regarded UK music critic, Barney Hoskyns and many others.

The program also includes liberal performance footage of The Stones, archive footage and interviews, numerous seldom seen photographs and a host of other features.

Extras include: - 'Meet Mick' - John Mayall and music historian Alan Clayson tell the Mick Taylor story, prior to his entry into The Rolling Stones.

Wonderful !

I also thought that "Ladies and Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones" was gonna be re-released on DVD this year too ! That was from the first part of the tour that I saw them on. The '72-'73 Exile shows,

388px-Lgtherollingstones.jpg

The Rolling Stones: The Mick Taylor Years DVD Set For Release

The Rolling Stones 1969-1974: The Mick Taylor Years will be coming to DVD on July 27th. Often regarded as the period in which The Rolling Stones recorded the finest music of their career, the years during which Mick Taylor was the fifth Stone remain the band's 'Golden Age'. Notably, on albums Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile On Main Street the Stones' sound changed as they developed new ideas and were informed by a range of new influences.

But crucially it was Taylor's sophisticated blues and jazz licks that gave The Rolling Stones an added dimension between 1969 and 1974 - one they lacked both before and afterwards. This dynamic film tells the behind the scenes story of this hugely productive era for the group.

Featuring interviews with Taylor himself and further contributions from his old boss, John Mayall; author and group colleague, Robert Greenfield; Village Voice music editor, Robert Christgau; Stones session musicians, Al Perkins and Bill Plummer; highly regarded UK music critic, Barney Hoskyns and many others.

The program also includes liberal performance footage of The Stones, archive footage and interviews, numerous seldom seen photographs and a host of other features.

Extras include: - 'Meet Mick' - John Mayall and music historian Alan Clayson tell the Mick Taylor story, prior to his entry into The Rolling Stones.

This one is an unofficial release............I'll give it a miss.

This one is an unofficial release............I'll give it a miss.

I'm sorry gang if it's not the real deal, it came to me in an E-mail advert from CD Universe.It came to me with the DVD info I put in the first post. CD Universe is usually reliable ,so now I don't know what to think. :mellow:

New Rolling Stones: 1969-1974 - The Mick Taylor Years DVD release date Jul 27, 2010.......

I'm definitely going to have to pick this up.

Yeah..it's basically a Stone's fan's holy grail. The never released/planned '72 tour cd was waited on for years and years ! I got the bootleg, Unreleased Decca Live Album, which mimicked what could've been that collection. Several bootlegs of that tour have made the rounds for sometime now, but this DVD release will eclipse ALL of that by far with EXCELLENT sound quality and of course, the video of it the shows.

To me, this will just about be the best release the Stone's could possibly muster up.

I recently got the T.A.M.I dvd that includes about 5-6 songs of the Rolling Stones live in late 1964 at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium. That is an excellent sample from their earliest of times. I highly recommend that DVD for them and all the other performers on the ticket too, especially the James Brown segment ! That was HOT !

Yeah..it's basically a Stone's fan's holy grail. The never released/planned '72 tour cd was waited on for years and years ! I got the bootleg, Unreleased Decca Live Album, which mimicked what could've been that collection. Several bootlegs of that tour have made the rounds for sometime now, but this DVD release will eclipse ALL of that by far with EXCELLENT sound quality and of course, the video of it the shows.

To me, this will just about be the best release the Stone's could possibly muster up.

The DVD that came with the Exile vinyl box has a couple of songs from this forthcoming release, Happy & All Down the Line..... I have to say that the sound Quality is a bit thin and flat, great but not superb..............picture though is brilliant, vibrant and colourful.............can't wait.

The DVD that came with the Exile vinyl box has a couple of songs from this forthcoming release, Happy & All Down the Line..... I have to say that the sound Quality is a bit thin and flat, great but not superb..............picture though is brilliant, vibrant and colourful.............can't wait.

Hmmm, hope it's at least better than the common boots of that tour. They're pretty darned good, but I'd hope an official release would be cleaner. I can always add some ooomph to the sound on my system ! I'll still be first in line to get the DVD !! :D

Hell anything from the Mick Taylor era would be more than welcome right about now. I'd welcome this DVD with open arms, regardless if it's "official" or not.

You betcha!

The topic of Mick has come up many time here but i have to repeat that i think it's an absolute disgrace that MT was living out of the back of a van for some time. Jagger and Keef have more money than they will ever be able to spend and they should take care of this boy. Mick was the best guitarist the Stones have ever had and contributed greatly to the best lp's the Stones ever made. Why he has to struggle is beyond comprehension.

You betcha!

The topic of Mick has come up many time here but i have to repeat that i think it's an absolute disgrace that MT was living out of the back of a van for some time. Jagger and Keef have more money than they will ever be able to spend and they should take care of this boy. Mick was the best guitarist the Stones have ever had and contributed greatly to the best lp's the Stones ever made. Why he has to struggle is beyond comprehension.

Why? :huh: He chose to leave the band (allegedly over songwriting credits), to their dismay; they had nothing but good things to say about him then or now.

Why? :huh: He chose to leave the band (allegedly over songwriting credits), to their dismay; they had nothing but good things to say about him then or now.

You are absolutely right, Aqua. They have been more than cordial to him then and now. With regards to his departure, songwriting was an issue, as was lifestyle. WHen he burned out his nasal septum due to Coacaine abuse, he said that he had to leave or possibly die young. I know i';m getting off track here....

Anyway, Mick helped paint the Stones greatest masterpieces. The legacy of the band is in that body of work. I just feel bad for him because he hasn't been compensated properly, imo. I know that a contract is a contract but you might think that when Mick and Keith hear about a mate who did so much for their band, falling on hard times, perhaps they could have provided some financial relief?!?! Upped the paltry royalties by a couple of points?

It just doesn't seem right.

• 1 month later...

Archived