The Black Sabbath Thread

manderlyh

I thought it was a nice tribute to Black Sabbath.. It was nice to hear something by them other than Paranoid on National TV..

They probably had a 4-5 minute limit.. so there was a lot of chopping but it still sounded pretty good to me.. Different in a good way.. Taylor Hawkins did a great job. The fact that they were playing it mattered more to me than the actual performance..

To be honest I really love the first four albums, and haven't been so crazy about the more recent stuff...13 is ok.

On another subject, has anyone else read Iommi's memoir? I read it recently and thought it was wildly entertaining!

I did and agree. It was a great read.

I don't think many people realize how close friends Iommi and John Bonham were.

I agree with ScarletMacaw "To be honest I really love the first four albums, and haven't been so crazy about the more recent stuff..." And to be a tad more honest , I thought they sucked after Vol.4 They werent the same band after Vol4. I dunno , but i do like Heaven and Hell though , that was a hell of an album

Im kinda glad Ozzy left BS cause most of the solo Ozzy stuff was spot on .

I'm sorry; I could not listen to the "Hayseed Dixie" version beyond five seconds.

The Faith No More version is ok, but I don't see the purpose in doing a cover version of a song unless you're going to make it different...for example what Jimi Hendrix did to Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower" or what the Talking Heads and Foghat respectively did to Al Green's "Take me to the River" (3 totally different versions of that tune, all of which are great!). Why would you listen to Faith No More imitate Black Sabbath when you could just listen to Black Sabbath?

I really loved the candor and humor in Iommi's memoir, as well as the information.

I've come to the realization that I don't like metal. I don't consider the early Sabbath to be metal and as far as I'm aware neither does Iommi; he calls them a rock band. I believe "metal" has been an attempt to make rock music more white and get rid of its soul, which I find both offensive and boring in its results. I think the reason I haven't liked the later Sabbath as much is it starts to sound more metal-y.

"Why would you listen to Faith No More imitate Black Sabbath when you could just listen to Black Sabbath?"

Uh... because i like Faith No More and as for your opinion of metal , ask me if i care. Ya might stay away from Tribute to Black Sabbath: Eternal Masters and Nativity in Black , it'll probably further ruffle your feathers. Btw , isn't imitation the sincerest form of flattery?

Oh looky more metal bands imitating Black Sabbath.

It was a rhetorical question, Wally; I wasn't asking for an answer. Feel free to listen to bad covers of Black Sabbath tunes. I found the Biohazard one particularly egregious, but whatever floats your boat. I'm sure the members of Black Sabbath are all for it, not because it's flattery but because they get royalties.

I can't resist a debate however, so let me add that in addition to trying to take the black out of rock and roll, I also think metal is an attempt to masculinize it. Hence the posturing of groups such as Metallica with their smirky innuendos ("Load", "Cunning Stunts" etc).

Edited to note that I do like a few metal bands, mostly foreign, such as Rammstein. They have a sense of humor.

Edited by ScarletMacaw

• 2 weeks later...

Black Sabbath Guitarist Tony Iommi Composes New Music For 'Csi' Tv Series

Legendary Black Sabbath guitarist Tony Iommi has issued the following update:

"People have been asking what exactly I'm doing at the moment. Well, I'm getting back in the studio, having tried to make myself rest after the tours. I'm writing, mostly just putting ideas down rather than complete songs.

"I like to create all sorts of moods with my music and then decide later how they might be used. One specific piece, though, is for the 'Csi' ['Crime Scene Investigation'] TV series that will be aired in the U.S. on November 2nd.

"I was asked if I'd be interested, so I had a look at the footage and came up with an idea they seemed to like. It's not very long, but it was different working with images rather than just music. I'd certainly be up for doing more."

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/black-sabbath-guitarist-tony-iommi-composes-new-music-for-csi-tv-series/

Edited by luvlz2

I had a listen to their first two Albums today at college.

Tony Iommi is an awesome guitarist.

They are both really awesome albums.

So are the next four. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is my favourite.

Thanks for the pics, Wally. Tony looks hot in the first one! The group pics are pretty funny.

I don't like Ronny James Dio's singing so I mainly listen to the 70s albums. My favorites now are the eponymous debut album, Paranoid and Vol. IV which I prefer slightly over Masters of Reality. I also like the last one, Never Say Die! even though apparently a lot of people didn't. It's different from the earlier albums, but in an interesting way.

I've been slowly getting into 13. Don't really like some of the tunes but others are ok.

They're supposedly going to do another album but now Ozzy is going to do two months more of reality tv...why oh why? It was awful enough the first time! Maybe it's an excuse to spend more time with his kids.

Thanks for the pics, Wally. Tony looks hot in the first one! The group pics are pretty funny.

I don't like Ronny James Dio's singing so I mainly listen to the 70s albums. My favorites now are the eponymous debut album, Paranoid and Vol. IV which I prefer slightly over Masters of Reality. I also like the last one, Never Say Die! even though apparently a lot of people didn't. It's different from the earlier albums, but in an interesting way.

I've been slowly getting into 13. Don't really like some of the tunes but others are ok.

They're supposedly going to do another album but now Ozzy is going to do two months more of reality tv...why oh why? It was awful enough the first time! Maybe it's an excuse to spend more time with his kids.

I don't listen to a lot of the Dio era stuff either, but Heaven and Hell is just a masterpiece, IMO the quintessential metal song. Just so epic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUjUIP2ugG4

Edited by Sathington Willoughby