Countdown to Jimmy Page's book

hecube

I really can't see why a book of photographs is generating such exitement. This is just one very expensive bookcase shelf filler. How many times are purchsers going to look through it. Once or twice, maybe let a friend or two flick through it. I also think some may have ordered it in haste not really knowing what they were going to get. I enquired about a Jimi Hendrix Genesis publication a few years ago. I had numerous very expensive looking mailshots on other Genesis publications (Dylan, The Stones to name but 2) over time. So by buying this photo book buyers are helping Genesis in their very expensive ad campaigns..................Anyway it's your bag..."Do what thy wilt"

I really can't see why a book of photographs is generating such exitement. This is just one very expensive bookcase shelf filler. How many times are purchsers going to look through it. Once or twice, maybe let a friend or two flick through it. I also think some may have ordered it in haste not really knowing what they were going to get. I enquired about a Jimi Hendrix Genesis publication a few years ago. I had numerous very expensive looking mailshots on other Genesis publications (Dylan, The Stones to name but 2) over time. So by buying this photo book buyers are helping Genesis in their very expensive ad campaigns..................Anyway it's your bag..."Do what thy wilt"

I'm not sure but I'll tell you if it's worth it when I get it.

I think we're hoping it's more than just pictures.

There aren't many "official Jimmy Page" anythings.

I've been on the fence about getting this book. At this point in my life, I guess I can afford it, but that's not my issue. I really don't care if it is $100 or $700....I'm just disappointed that it apparantly doesn't contain any text, any comments or insight by Jimmy Page? Even a few sentences about each photo would make a huge difference. Where was he at the time? What was he thinking? What was he playing? Was he happy? What was going on with Led Zep? His personal life? What was he thinking of recording? etc, etc.

I really can't see why a book of photographs is generating such exitement.

Speaking for myself it's because of the subject and the content! James Patrick Page was and remains one of rock music's most mysterious stars. This is an intimate glimpse into his life. He carefully chose the photographs and signed each copy. A release doesn't get more personal than this.

As good as books, photographs and magazine articles are, I'd much prefer listening to and / or watching some actual music for a change, old or new.

It does seem a bit overpriced, then again nowadays most things are.

For those who are getting it I hope it is everything you could hope for but for me I have enough written and photographic material to last a lifetime, as a matter of fact it has.

Well I for one am really excited about receiving Jimmy's book, especially after receiving the email from Genesis posted by Dandu above.

If I had the money I would have bought two, one for myself and one as an investment because I'm sure this book is only going to increase in value. B)

I've been on the fence about getting this book. At this point in my life, I guess I can afford it, but that's not my issue. I really don't care if it is $100 or $700....I'm just disappointed that it apparantly doesn't contain any text, any comments or insight by Jimmy Page? Even a few sentences about each photo would make a huge difference. Where was he at the time? What was he thinking? What was he playing? Was he happy? What was going on with Led Zep? His personal life? What was he thinking of recording? etc, etc.

I was under the impression that nearly all the photos have captions written by Jimmy explaining what's happening, however short they may be.

Just recieved from Genesis:

We have had an overwhelming and unprecedented response and we want to thank all our subscribers for your support. We are currently offline because we are taking time to audit orders.

We hope to have some last copies available and they will be on sale on publication day 27 September. So please check back then.

In the meantime, here are some of the book's best press moments...

Guitar World 'It's been rumoured that Jimmy Page was working on a big project, but few realised it would be this big... It's an epic... definitive and unique.'

New York Times 'A career record in pictures...for the most part the book portrays Mr Page in six-string-Adonis glory onstage.'

Sunday Times Magazine 'A photographic album charting his muscial life in pictures. It is a luxurious tome featuring 650 photographs, many of them rarely, if ever, published before.'

Tight But Loose 'Can only be described as a simply stunning pictorial autobiography... Successfully chronicles every step of Jimmy's remarkable journey with an artful magnificence that few books on any rock subject have ever achieved.'

Guitar Aficionado 'The most complete portrait of the legendary rocker to date... An intriquing and illuminating look at the career of rock's most enigmatic guitarist.'

Clash 'Outstanding attention to detail... stunning.'

I got the same email.

It's a little steep but will never go down in price. You could always have the library try to buy a copy... well, it doesn't hurt to ask, worse they'd do is say no and laugh.

It never was in question that I would not buy this book but I considered asking the librarian at our company to do it as well because they buy many many artbooks.

I wonder if there will be a party for the release of the book, or if JP will give another press interview? As for asking your librarian, the half-dozen or so 'deposit' libraries in the UK are entitled to receive a copy of every book that is published in Britain(but not obliged to accept). However, that may not extend to picture biographies - I simply don't know.

I wonder if there will be a party for the release of the book, or if JP will give another press interview? As for asking your librarian, the half-dozen or so 'deposit' libraries in the UK are entitled to receive a copy of every book that is published in Britain(but not obliged to accept). However, that may not extend to picture biographies - I simply don't know.

Plus also considering the book's price tag is another obstacle.

Archived