First Listen to New BOJ Album

kiss of fire

I know I've already chimed in here, but I listened to the album a couple of times yesterday from beginning to end. I have to say I love it more and more each time I hear it, especially on my IPod with earbuds where you can really hear the details of every song.

I'm looking forward to hearing it next week when it arrives in the mail- I know I could go to that site & listen now, but after I saw the "Angel Dance" video (which I liked) I decided to wait until I got the cd to hear the rest of it.

You can listen to the whole album on NPR or track by track.

You can listen to the whole album on NPR or track by track.

Yeah I know- but there's just something about listening to a new album for the first time in its entirety while looking at the artwork & reading the liner notes. I guess that sounds weird, but that's just me. Actually what I should have done was go to an independent record store & see if they would sell me the cd before its release ( some will do that) instead of waiting for Amazon to send it out.

Yeah I know- but there's just something about listening to a new album for the first time in its entirety while looking at the artwork & reading the liner notes. I guess that sounds weird, but that's just me. Actually what I should have done was go to an independent record store & see if they would sell me the cd before its release ( some will do that) instead of waiting for Amazon to send it out.

I can definitely see your point. I like to do that as well! :thumbsup:

I know I've already chimed in here, but I listened to the album a couple of times yesterday from beginning to end. I have to say I love it more and more each time I hear it, especially on my IPod with earbuds where you can really hear the details of every song.

I'm with you Gigi - I've listened to the whole CD twice now and I really do like it. Can't wait 'til Tues. to buy it.

Also, I sort of resent that some here think that some of us are buying this just because it's Robert. I, like others here I'm sure, happen to like all forms of music and are pretty open minded when it comes to tastes in music. To each their own.

And, Robert's voice sounds amazing, he is after all 62. At that age I'm sure he doesn't want to yell and scream like yester-year.

This album sounds like the last album he did with Alison Krauss. I really respect Robert and what he has done, but I just don’t like this.

It pains me that our time is running out with our "Rock Gods" and this is what we have to look forward to. Robert seams very happy and in a place that makes him content but I get bummed when I hear this music compared to the Zep days.

I wish Jimmy would put out some music soon!

I'm with you Gigi - I've listened to the whole CD twice now and I really do like it. Can't wait 'til Tues. to buy it.

Also, I sort of resent that some here think that some of us are buying this just because it's Robert. I, like others here I'm sure, happen to like all forms of music and are pretty open minded when it comes to tastes in music. To each their own.

And, Robert's voice sounds amazing, he is after all 62. At that age I'm sure he doesn't want to yell and scream like yester-year.

hi justawoman :wave:

i really hope my comments haven't offended you, if so, i'm sorry.

i do think some people would buy it regardless of really liking it, maybe even before hearing it, because robert has such a great reputation in the music world, but i also realize that there are many, many people who genuinely like the cd. it's just not my taste, but i am sure i am in the minority!

from what i heard of roberts voice at the reunion concert at the 02, and other live shows via you tube, he still sounds amazing and still has a lot of power to his voice. i just can't hear that on this cd, but heck, that's how he meant it to be, rather than an inability. i was just saying that i was a little stunned that none of the songs ( in my opinion ) really showcase his still amazing voice.

i do realize he is 62, and that's why it's so amazing that he still can sound so great. :notworthy:

Wel I like the album, I find it more accessible than Raising Sand is some ways and I liked RS. And Robert is more to the front on this one for those who feel he isn't. And live he is right at the front for the majority of the show, obvioulsy with hs own and Zep numbers. This isn't RS2.

These two albums have split opinions but for those who just state "I'm into rock" etc as an argument for not liking other stuff then you are missing out on some wonderful music out there. Where do you think rock came from?

Perhaps it will come to them in time that you shouldn't just define yourself as only liking one genre cos there's plenty of shit rock out there.

So for those of us who like it keep playing it for those that don't then listen to what you like, in the words of Earth Wind and Fire "That's the way of the world"

Wel I like the album, I find it more accessible than Raising Sand is some ways and I liked RS. And Robert is more to the front on this one for those who feel he isn't. And live he is right at the front for the majority of the show, obvioulsy with hs own and Zep numbers. This isn't RS2.

These two albums have split opinions but for those who just state "I'm into rock" etc as an argument for not liking other stuff then you are missing out on some wonderful music out there. Where do you think rock came from?Perhaps it will come to them in time that you shouldn't just define yourself as only liking one genre cos there's plenty of shit rock out there.

So for those of us who like it keep playing it for those that don't then listen to what you like, in the words of Earth Wind and Fire "That's the way of the world"

i must admit i do mostly listen to rock, but not exclusively. i've never really liked country, jazz or rap for eg. but i do love the eagles and america ... are they " country" ? :unsure:

hi justawoman :wave:

i really hope my comments haven't offended you, if so, i'm sorry.

i do think some people would buy it regardless of really liking it, maybe even before hearing it, because robert has such a great reputation in the music world, but i also realize that there are many, many people who genuinely like the cd. it's just not my taste, but i am sure i am in the minority!

from what i heard of roberts voice at the reunion concert at the 02, and other live shows via you tube, he still sounds amazing and still has a lot of power to his voice. i just can't hear that on this cd, but heck, that's how he meant it to be, rather than an inability. i was just saying that i was a little stunned that none of the songs ( in my opinion ) really showcase his still amazing voice.

i do realize he is 62, and that's why it's so amazing that he still can sound so great. :notworthy:

Hi back at ya' :wave:

Not offended, guess just trying to set the record straight - as far as buying the CD. Truthfully, I'm sort of surprised that I like the album so much, but I'm probably a wee bit older than you and like Robert have mellowed with age. Don't get me wrong, I still love me some hard core Zeppelin (my husband and kids think I'm a tad crazy), but I guess when you've been listening to Zep for as long as I have, it's nice to mix things up.

And he does sound great doesn't he. :thumbsup: In fact, my 21 yr. old son was in the room when I was playing the CD on line and he commented on how good he sounds, that he sounds a lot like he did with Zeppelin, but softer (does that make sense?).

Anyway, wanted to let you know no real offense was taken. :peace:

i must admit i do mostly listen to rock, but not exclusively. i've never really liked country, jazz or rap for eg. but i do love the eagles and america ... are they " country" ? :unsure:

Hey again slave to zep - I guess you could call them country rock or southern rock. It's rock but with more country at the roots rather than blues. At least that's how I've always thought of their sound. I love the eagles too. Wanted to go see them this summer in Houston, but the tickets were a bit pricey and after already buying tickets for 4 different concerts, Band of Joy being one of them, my husband said "enough already, I'm not 18 anymore!" So that was that.

Anyway, thought I'd try to answer your question.

Ok so I've had a couple of listens through and overall I really like the album. I don't have a musical vocabulary, but here goes. What I love most is that while it's really well produced having a great depth of sound and balance amongst instruments and vocals, it's not too glossy. It has a more earthy, gritty feel to it that seems pure rather than manufactured for cookie cutter appeal.

Much has been made of Robert's voice, and I have to mention that I love how it sounds here. Sometimes in the past the wails and even melodies in Zep live were off key but they would get drowned out by bombastic sounds. Here, the arrangements are more intimate so there are no fig leaves to hide behind. His voice has changed, but it has a lovely tone and you can tell that he cares about its sounding good. I appreciate the refinement; there are adjustments for each song that are just right. Some highlights for me include 'Central Two-O-Nine', 'Silver Rider', 'I'm Falling In Love Again' (can't you just picture yourself dancing to this one?), 'Monkey', 'Cindy I'll Marry You Someday', 'Satan, Your Kingdom Must Come Down'. Some darker moments, some very tender ones. Very genuine throughout. A fine album with excellent musicianship. A pleasure to listen to.

These two albums have split opinions but for those who just state "I'm into rock" etc as an argument for not liking other stuff then you are missing out on some wonderful music out there. Where do you think rock came from?

Perhaps it will come to them in time that you shouldn't just define yourself as only liking one genre cos there's plenty of shit rock out there.

AMEN!! Couldn't agree with you more. Well said! After seeing him at The Bowery in NYC, just a few hours ago, he still has the power in his voice, and puts on a great show. Being so close to the stage was unbelievable. What a show!

AMEN!! Couldn't agree with you more. Well said! After seeing him at The Bowery in NYC, just a few hours ago, he still has the power in his voice, and puts on a great show. Being so close to the stage was unbelievable. What a show!

I had a similar experience in London B)

Hey again slave to zep - I guess you could call them country rock or southern rock. It's rock but with more country at the roots rather than blues. At least that's how I've always thought of their sound. I love the eagles too. Wanted to go see them this summer in Houston, but the tickets were a bit pricey and after already buying tickets for 4 different concerts, Band of Joy being one of them, my husband said "enough already, I'm not 18 anymore!" So that was that.

Anyway, thought I'd try to answer your question.

hi there :wave:

yeah, i've always loved the eagles. they are touring here soon, but i can't afford the tickets either :( i don't go to many concerts actually, not really financial enough, they are a real luxury for me. but i made sure i saw jonesy ( TCV ), and they were amazing, just loved it. :notworthy:

dunno how old you are, but i am 48 :bagoverhead:

hi there :wave:

yeah, i've always loved the eagles. they are touring here soon, but i can't afford the tickets either :( i don't go to many concerts actually, not really financial enough, they are a real luxury for me. but i made sure i saw jonesy ( TCV ), and they were amazing, just loved it. :notworthy:

dunno how old you are, but i am 48 :bagoverhead:

Hey STZ, LOL - I'm not that much older than you, I'm pushing 53 (in about a month). I guess you just have a young vibe about you - :P. A really good thing as far as I'm concerned! Sometimes I feel like I'm ancient, when you realize that Zeppelin was formed 42 years ago - OMG! Or, when I get out of bed in the morning - LOL. But at other times I'm 18 again - I just wish I had the same body that I had at 18, Lord have mercy, that would be bad, but in a good way. ;)

I've tried to stay away from commenting on this but with all the bullshit being flung about here and the other threads on this topic, I decided to chime in.

If "Country" music isn't your thing fine, however don't put it down just because someone who is into ALL kinds of music happens to like it.

This "I'm only into Rock" mentality is very narrowminded and somewhat contradictory and shows that some people can't or won't accept change.

Led Zeppelin were playing "Country" long before it became uncool.

Hey Hey What Can I Do and Down By The Seaside come to mind and possibly Bron - Yr - Stomp to name a few.

Also they are just as much an acoustic band as they are "Rock".

The same goes for Neil Young he plays just as much "Rock" as he does "Country" yet some people put shit on him because they are not into his music.

John Paul Jones IMO the greatest and most underrated multi instrumentalist of the modern era has played just as much "Country and Bluegrass" music as Robert yet this seems ok and it is.

As for just buying the CD because it's Robert Plant well that's only half of it, as the O2 gig shows he is managing his voice the best way he can, he is in his 60's after all.

Yet people expect him to perform like he did 40 YEARS ago and bagged his performance because he and the band had the audacity to tune down!

Will I buy it?

YES, not because it's better than anything he's done in the past but because i'ts different and the lad can sing.

My perception of all this is that some are frustrated with Jimmy's lack of output and rather than criticise him it's easier to bag Robert.

As he has been more productive out of the three of them post Zeppelin and willing to take risks by doing his own thing rather than living on past glories and pandering to the masses, meanwhile he seems to be wearing a target on his back.

So what if he reworks Zeppelin material, he co-wrote most of it anyway and it's not anything new Page & Plant did it and that worked well.

Like everything else music is subjective and you can't please everyone so you may as well please yourself.

Thanks Robert for everything you've given and are still giving us and get back down to Oz asap.

Can't a LZ fan just say that BOJ isn't their cup of tea without being labelled as a rock reactionary? Or upset that Robert Plant's post-Zep musical output is greater than Jimmy Page's? If Page or John Paul Jones put this stuff out I wouldn't like it any better.

I'm not a big fan of country music or bluegrass, although I listen to some of it. I'm not going to go out of my way to seek it when I like rock or blues or punk more.

I like opera, but I wouldn't want to hear Robert Plant sing it anymore than I want to hear Jeff Beck play it. Does that make me narrow-minded?

You're right, musical taste is subjective, let's just agree to disagree without all the condescending statements.

Great post, Reggie! I will admit that I probably would not have listened to the BOJ CD if it were not Robert, but Thank Goodness I did. He has opened my ears and mind to some new great music over the years. What could be wrong with that? I just happen to love the man's voice. I also would not have bought TCV if it were not for JPJ, but I love that one too. That's the great thing about LZ, they're all fabulous musicians...with differing styles and tastes. Not just rock and roll....they ALL apparently had and have a great appreciation for all kinds of music. And, that is why we're all here, right? (Sorry for the rant, I've had a bit of wine this evening....lol!)

And, on a funny note, I've turned my almost 70 year old mother onto RP and she called me tonight to make sure I was going to buy her a BOJ CD tommorrow when I buy mine. Gotta love that! :D

Can't a LZ fan just say that BOJ isn't their cup of tea without being labelled as a rock reactionary? Or upset that Robert Plant's post-Zep musical output is greater than Jimmy Page's? If Page or John Paul Jones put this stuff out I wouldn't like it any better.

I'm not a big fan of country music or bluegrass, although I listen to some of it. I'm not going to go out of my way to seek it when I like rock or blues or punk more.

I like opera, but I wouldn't want to hear Robert Plant sing it anymore than I want to hear Jeff Beck play it. Does that make me narrow-minded?

You're right, musical taste is subjective, let's just agree to disagree without all the condescending statements.

Funny you should mention this, Jeff Beck played the melody of The Immigrant Song with Jimmy at Beck's induction into the RRHOF.

Where's the condescension and labelling?

If only people would just leave it as "not their cup of tea" instead of constantly bagging everything he does or his decision not to tour with / as, Led Zeppelin.

Read the post and it says MY PERCEPTION.

Just calling it as I see it and it seems I've touched a nerve.

Archived