First Listen to New BOJ Album

kiss of fire

Just found this don't see it posted here and checked Robert's official site and it wasn't there yet either.

Not sure also how long this will be available but all tracks from can be heard in full. :D

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129178865&ft=1&f=1108

Forgot to say my favorite track is "Central Two-O- Nine"

Thanks for the link to NPR, kiss of fire!

I really, really like this album!

My impressions:

Robert's voice sounded great!

"Cindy, I'll Marry You Someday" was not like the Elvis' version, to my surprise. It was more like the back woods country version. But I really liked it!

Some of the songs remind me of The Eagles or The Grateful Dead styles of music. Somewhat country, but not fully countrified, if you get what I mean.

And I thought that some of the songs, such as "Satan Your Kingdom Must Come Down" could easily be adapted as a Led Zeppelin song and could really be made to rock out. This song reminded me of "Nobody's Fault But Mine". I could imagine Jimmy shredding on this song as opposed to the banjo solos.

I like this album much better than "Raising Sand".

I have the album on pre-order from Amazon, and I can't wait to get it! I will be playing it alot!

Edited to say: After further listening, I get a Led Zeppelin vibe with some of the songs. I think it is in the way that Robert sings on some of the songs, like the ending of "Cindy I'll Marry You Someday".

My first take is oh boy. I just really don't like this kind of music. I always considered it the easiest music to play and therefore my least favorite.

Also having grown up with parents that listened to country and me being the rebel that I am...say no more.

Even this shall pass away is really the only tune that I can say I want to hear again. The angel dance is OK, definite radio song.

Unfortunately, it looks like I'm going to have to pass on this tour. As much as I love robert I just can't take this...and to see him sing backup to this

would be simply horrifying. It's like having a star quarterback and having him sit on the sidelines while you play your second string...and the

star cheering from the sidelines. and then i'll hear zep songs and start thinking about jp, jpj,jb, 12/10/07 and i'll just want to leave. so i'll just stay

home to begin with :)

At least with RPAK Alison was a powerhouse singer and T-Bone was just too cool. I didn't really like her style of music either but she is so exceptionally talented that

it made it parts of it enjoyable. I'm just not feeling that with this band. Maybe his next venture will be more my liking.

I think the album is fantastic! In my opinion, Robert's voice sounds better here than on RS, although I loved RS too. On BOJ, there are a few more wails...lol. The standouts for me include Monkey, Angel Dance, Harm's Swift Way and The Only Sound that Matters. This will definitely be my go to music this Fall. I can't wait until he comes back to the States for Round Two!

I think the album is fantastic! In my opinion, Robert's voice sounds better here than on RS, although I loved RS too. On BOJ, there are a few more wails...lol. The standouts for me include Monkey, Angel Dance, Harm's Swift Way and The Only Sound that Matters. This will definitely be my go to music this Fall. I can't wait until he comes back to the States for Round Two!

It makes a great birthday present, too. ;)

R B)

His voice sounded good but I couldn't get past 1 minute of any song. Too slow and low-key. One or two songs like this on an album are ok but every song? This is something I'd listen to after swallowing a bottle of oxycontin and a few shots of whiskey. I'm afraid I'm a little too young for the kind of music Bobby's into these days. I respect him doing what he enjoys instead of what many would want him to do it's just too bad his taste and mine are so far apart. Oh well at least he hasn't done rap or hip-hop.

saddens me to say this, but i don't like any of the songs.

not at all.

sorry robert, i guess it's just not my cup of tea.

if he is into this style of music, then no wonder he doesn't want to reunite with jp and jpj.

this is just so far removed from zeppelin.

i really love the them crooked vultures cd. every song.

i wish robert all the best with it though. and it seems it is doing well with critics and fans.

Oh dear...

Respect to those who like this kind of music. I don't. I'm into rock, and this is not rock. I wouldn't listen to this kind of stuff by anyone else, and I won't try to convince myself that it's worth listening to just because it's by an ex-member of my favourite band.

Next!

Different band, same name. It's not like they do any of the original BOJ's material. Unlike Zeppelin and the O2 reunion band (which I'm happy to call Zeppelin, but I know what Robert means--to him it's not Zeppelin without John).

Then it would seem to be even more unlikely he'd call this the Band of Joy. Much further removed not even doing original BOJ songs, whereas the 02 band did Led Zeppelin songs exclusively with a Bonham on the traps.

Very strange.

He's explained why he called it Band of Joy--because it gives him the same sense of excitement, exploration, and adventure as the original group of that name, even though with different personnel. It's not the same band, it's just the same name and the same spirit. (That's his explanation--I'm not saying I would necessarily have used the same name if it had been me.)

Btw--hello again.

He's explained why he called it Band of Joy--because it gives him the same sense of excitement, exploration, and adventure as the original group of that name, even though with different personnel. It's not the same band, it's just the same name and the same spirit. (That's his explanation--I'm not saying I would necessarily have used the same name if it had been me.)

Doing all Led Zeppelin songs with 2 out of the 3 who were in the band didn't connect with him well enough to call it Led Zeppelin at the 02 then?

Not the same spirit?

Was he just acting then? It would be nice to hear his explanation on that. You can speculate just like me but the answer is still evasive.

Why do people insist on getting into these petty arguments over semantics? Robert can call this album whatever the hell he wants. He could call it "Buy this album now, I'm old and need money" and that's just fine with me. I understand why he called the album Band of Joy and I happen to like it. Someone else can not like if they want. No skin off my nose.

As for what constitutes Led Zeppelin and what doesn't.......if Robert doesn't think it's Led Zeppelin without John Bonham, that's what he thinks. If he thinks it's Led Zeppelin if Jason is back there, that's what he thinks. WHO CARES?!

Why do people insist on getting into these petty arguments over semantics? Robert can call this album whatever the hell he wants. He could call it "Buy this album now, I'm old and need money" and that's just fine with me. I understand why he called the album Band of Joy and I happen to like it. Someone else can not like if they want. No skin off my nose.

As for what constitutes Led Zeppelin and what doesn't.......if Robert doesn't think it's Led Zeppelin without John Bonham, that's what he thinks. If he thinks it's Led Zeppelin if Jason is back there, that's what he thinks. WHO CARES?!

So very true.

Before you know it this thread will become one big argument end up being locked or pulled when the whole purpose of this thread was to let people hear the album before it's release not squabble about a title.

He has made it pretty clear over and over in multiple interviews he is done with performing in Led Zeppelin the group and moved on!!

Oh dear...

Respect to those who like this kind of music. I don't. I'm into rock, and this is not rock. I wouldn't listen to this kind of stuff by anyone else, and I won't try to convince myself that it's worth listening to just because it's by an ex-member of my favourite band.

Next!

i agree with what you are saying here ... i think a lot of robert plant and zeppelin fans will buy this album regardless of whether they are actually into the music, cos it's ROBERT PLANT.

i wont be buying this cd, and i didn't buy raising sand either, just not my kind of music.

but i would buy a ticket to see him live ( if he EVER comes to australia! ) just to see and hear what he is like live for my own eyes and ears. it's on my bucket list. and he does a few zep songs so i would be more than satisfied with those anyway.

does antone else think that on this latest cd, he doesn't really use his amazing voice? i mean, it's all very slow, soft, low key singing, nothing that really shows the full extent of his voice.

just mho of course!

i agree with what you are saying here ... i think a lot of robert plant and zeppelin fans will buy this album regardless of whether they are actually into the music, cos it's ROBERT PLANT.

i wont be buying this cd, and i didn't buy raising sand either, just not my kind of music.

but i would buy a ticket to see him live ( if he EVER comes to australia! ) just to see and hear what he is like live for my own eyes and ears. it's on my bucket list. and he does a few zep songs so i would be more than satisfied with those anyway.

does antone else think that on this latest cd, he doesn't really use his amazing voice? i mean, it's all very slow, soft, low key singing, nothing that really shows the full extent of his voice.

just mho of course!

I do.

I'm not happy about the way his voice sounds at all. It's not just the music, matter of fact I like the music way more than the vocals, but still not enough to listen repeatedly. It saddens me as much as I used to love the old Led Zeppelin. However, nothing done today by these guys can lessen that grandeur they once had. Time moves on, things change, but not always for the better. :(

I picked up a copy a couple of days early. :D

rpbandofjoycc.JPG

The lyrics are included with the release.

Robert

www.behindthetoys.com

I got mine in the post yesterday :D .

It's a very good album. Not as magnificent as Raising Sand, but it's definitely one of the best albums of 2010. Favourite track is Monkey I think.

Archived