What show or live song are you listening to now?

Misfit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MtoGh_M6dw

Honestly, Ten Years Gone is such a nostalgic song for me that I can't even begin to describe how I feel about it. The way Robert sings it on this day at the Forum is so beautiful it almost hurts. Jimmy and him just

jam out so hard to it that when Robert belts out the lines "ten years gone" and Jimmy shreds Botswana Brown like it owe him money, the song reaches almost like a musical orgasm! It's just awesome, truly

awesome! Almost brings a tear to my eye the rush of great memories it brings to mind. It's almost like I see my whole life flash before my eyes when I listen to this. Its just a damn

shame whatever Millard was doing at the time during the concert messed up the recording during the solo.... oh well, I'll still always love this version

Edited by LedBenz21

Glad you were able to hear the show. It is my absolute favorite show of theirs. Looking forward to hearing it, once again, later this month!

Yeah I've heard parts of it dozens of times but I finally got my own copy. What would you say are your top 5 favorite bootlegs?

Yeah I've heard parts of it dozens of times but I finally got my own copy. What would you say are your top 5 favorite bootlegs?

It changes all the time. Based on sound quality, era preference, etc. These are my mainstays:

6/21/77

9/29/71

4/27/69

3/7/70

9/14/71

8/31/71

5/24or25/75

7/24/79

Any of the March '73 shows

6/27/77

I know I'm forgetting some stuff, just sitting here on the couch, watching a race, but that's what has come to my head.

Oh yeah, 6/2/73, 2/12/75, 3/19/75.... ;)

It changes all the time. Based on sound quality, era preference, etc. These are my mainstays:

6/21/77

9/29/71

4/27/69

3/7/70

9/14/71

8/31/71

5/24or25/75

7/24/79

Any of the March '73 shows

6/27/77

I know I'm forgetting some stuff, just sitting here on the couch, watching a race, but that's what has come to my head.

Oh yeah, 6/2/73, 2/12/75, 3/19/75.... ;)

Yes, you are forgetting the evening show of 9/19/70...9/4/70...6/22/77 and 6/23/77...2/13/75...hahahaha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MtoGh_M6dw

Honestly, Ten Years Gone is such a nostalgic song for me that I can't even begin to describe how I feel about it. The way Robert sings it on this day at the Forum is so beautiful it almost hurts. Jimmy and him just

jam out so hard to it that when Robert belts out the lines "ten years gone" and Jimmy shreds Botswana Brown like it owe him money, the song reaches almost like a musical orgasm! It's just awesome, truly

awesome! Almost brings a tear to my eye the rush of great memories it brings to mind. It's almost like I see my whole life flash before my eyes when I listen to this. Its just a damn

shame whatever Millard was doing at the time during the concert messed up the recording during the solo.... oh well, I'll still always love this version

In Millard's defense, it wasn't his fault. Back then, when you had to record on cassette tapes, you were at the mercy of the tape-flip...that point in time when the tape was running out on one side and you had to eject the tape, flip it and restart the recording process as quickly and efficiently as possible. In less than optimum circumstances, it must be added. You had to keep the tape deck hidden from prying eyes.

I am assuming Mike Millard used C-90s when taping shows, so every 40-45 minutes you have to turn the cassette over. Since June 21 was the first show of the 1977 Forum run, Millard was flying blind, so-to-speak. He had no idea how long each song was going to be or what order...he had to guess and use his best judgement. The first opportunity to flip the tape would likely have been after SIBLY and before No Quarter. Depending on how long Millard had the tape running before the show started, the tape would have been about at the 30-35 minute mark after SIBLY.

Millard was a veteran of Zep shows, so he knew in adavnce "No Quarter" was a long jam, but I doubt he knew just how long it would be in 1977 until after that first night at the Forum. So he probably got caught in a time squeeze. If you only brought a couple C-90s then you can't keep flipping tapes, leaving 5-10 minute blank stretches at the end or you'll run out of tape before the concert ends...or the songs will be out of order. Millard had to pray that Zeppelin would do a short song after "No Quarter" or else just bite the bullet and accept whatever bit of music he would lose during the tape flip from side 2 to side 3. When it was "Ten Years Gone", I would wager that Millard just said he'd let the tape run til it was out and then flip it, knowing that he was going to multiple shows and would have another chance to get a full "Ten Years Gone" without a cut.

Yes, you are forgetting the evening show of 9/19/70...9/4/70...6/22/77 and 6/23/77...2/13/75...hahahaha.

In Millard's defense, it wasn't his fault. Back then, when you had to record on cassette tapes, you were at the mercy of the tape-flip...that point in time when the tape was running out on one side and you had to eject the tape, flip it and restart the recording process as quickly and efficiently as possible. In less than optimum circumstances, it must be added. You had to keep the tape deck hidden from prying eyes.

I am assuming Mike Millard used C-90s when taping shows, so every 40-45 minutes you have to turn the cassette over. Since June 21 was the first show of the 1977 Forum run, Millard was flying blind, so-to-speak. He had no idea how long each song was going to be or what order...he had to guess and use his best judgement. The first opportunity to flip the tape would likely have been after SIBLY and before No Quarter. Depending on how long Millard had the tape running before the show started, the tape would have been about at the 30-35 minute mark after SIBLY.

Millard was a veteran of Zep shows, so he knew in adavnce "No Quarter" was a long jam, but I doubt he knew just how long it would be in 1977 until after that first night at the Forum. So he probably got caught in a time squeeze. If you only brought a couple C-90s then you can't keep flipping tapes, leaving 5-10 minute blank stretches at the end or you'll run out of tape before the concert ends...or the songs will be out of order. Millard had to pray that Zeppelin would do a short song after "No Quarter" or else just bite the bullet and accept whatever bit of music he would lose during the tape flip from side 2 to side 3. When it was "Ten Years Gone", I would wager that Millard just said he'd let the tape run til it was out and then flip it, knowing that he was going to multiple shows and would have another chance to get a full "Ten Years Gone" without a cut.

But remember that Millard also recorded the San Diego 6/19/1977 show two days before! They might have performed a slightly shorter No Quarter that night so the tape may have extended to the end of Ten Years Gone before he had to switch tapes, but on the 21st they might have performed a longer No Quarter and he didn't know the tape would run out during Ten Years Gone. I haven't listened to much of the San Diego show so I don't know what the times of the songs are or if there are any cuts in the songs, but definitely going to get it to listen to here in 2 weeks!

^^ good choice! I listened to the full show yesterday and it is very enjoyable! Every song is very good and you can tell the band was trying to put on a great show. Zeppelin certainly never lost it as some people try to say they did in 1980, they obviously could put on a good one if they wanted. One of the best performances of Kashmir IMO.

Switzerland 6/29/1980 - Kashmir. After hearing how great the Frankfurt show was and how amazing Kashmir is I decided to see what they did the night before. Did they get lost in Kashmir? They did some weird break before the mid section (or whatever anyone calls it), and sounds like the outro but not quite. All I know is that it sounds really cool, I wish they did it more often! I've been listening to the matrix of both shows and both are really good matrix recordings, but unfortunately the soundboard cuts out in the middle of Kashmir. Anyone know if there is a recording of a full soundboard for Kashmir? It's a great performance, but rather unfortunate if there just isn't a full soundboard of the song. The audience recording is good at least, but still sounds way better on the matrix.

Led Zeppelin
Greensboro Coliseum
Greensboro,North Carolina
January 29,1975
Audience recording
1st gen
Set List
Disc one
Rock N Roll
Sick Again
Over The Hills And Far Away
In My Time Of Dying
The Song Remains The Same
The Rain Song
Kashmir
No Quarter
Disc Two
Trampled Underfoot
Moby Dick
How Many More Times
Stairway To Heaven
Whole Lotta Love(intro)
Black Dog
Communication Breakdown

Led Zeppelin
Greensboro Coliseum
Greensboro,North Carolina
January 29,1975
Audience recording
1st gen
Set List
Disc one
Rock N Roll
Sick Again
Over The Hills And Far Away
In My Time Of Dying
The Song Remains The Same
The Rain Song
Kashmir
No Quarter
Disc Two
Trampled Underfoot
Moby Dick
How Many More Times
Stairway To Heaven
Whole Lotta Love(intro)
Black Dog
Communication Breakdown

Is that the famous 'Worst Zeppelin show ever' Performance?