What show or live song are you listening to now?

Misfit

Listening to New Orleans 1973-05-14. Anyone have any ideas who played second guitar in Communication Breakdown that day?

One awesome performance of Communication Breakdown ehh? That's the best performance of the song IMO though the Blueberry Hill performance comes pretty close, but can't really compare the two because what makes the Blueberry Hill performance is the medley. But that is Jimmy Page + Jimmy Page on guitar. Might be hearing Jonsey's groovy bass there, but Led Zeppelin only performed with the 4 members. Though sometimes they had guests during some songs such as Keith Moon on Over The Top on the LA Forum 6/23/1977 show, but only for like 2 minutes. They were just great musicians and Jonsey was like 5 musicians at once always performing the bass.

There are worse ones IMO. San Diego 6/19/1977 and Tempe 7/20/1977 immediately come to mind. Plus I'm kind of partial to this show because my mom was there!

San Diego 6/19/1977 is one of the worse shows?! :o how can one of the worst shows of Zep's career come 2 nights before one of the best? I've been listening to it a little recently and didn't really notice anything bad, but I've only listened to SIBLY, TYG and Kashmir. I thought HMMT was pretty good at Greensboro, much better than 2 nights later in Detroit that just sounds so uninspiring.

San Diego 6/19/1977 is one of the worse shows?! :o how can one of the worst shows of Zep's career come 2 nights before one of the best? I've been listening to it a little recently and didn't really notice anything bad, but I've only listened to SIBLY, TYG and Kashmir. I thought HMMT was pretty good at Greensboro, much better than 2 nights later in Detroit that just sounds so uninspiring.

Bonzo was awful. Apparently Jonesy had a bad back too. I don't know, maybe it gets better as the show goes on, but I could only ever make it through the first 3 or 4 songs.

Dave Lewis: "Although not referred to onstage, Bonzo was also having problems. Mistakes abounded in his performance and there was not drum solo."

how can one of the worst shows of Zep's career come 2 nights before one of the best?

Obviously they wanted to make up for San Diego... and we know that they did!

Edited by Sathington Willoughby

Bonzo was awful. Apparently Jonesy had a bad back too. I don't know, maybe it gets better as the show goes on, but I could only ever make it through the first 3 or 4 songs.

Dave Lewis: "Although not referred to onstage, Bonzo was also having problems. Mistakes abounded in his performance and there was not drum solo."

how can one of the worst shows of Zep's career come 2 nights before one of the best?

Obviously they wanted to make up for San Diego... and we know that they did!

I just listened to a few songs again and your completely right. Bonzo was barely keeping the standard beat in SIBLY and towards the end when he usually fills every beat he didn't do anything! Then Kashmir felt slow and underwhelmed and he was messing up the beat here and there. Still not a terrible show considering Page and Plant were doing quite well, but definitely far from their best.

I just listened to a few songs again and your completely right. Bonzo was barely keeping the standard beat in SIBLY and towards the end when he usually fills every beat he didn't do anything! Then Kashmir felt slow and underwhelmed and he was messing up the beat here and there. Still not a terrible show considering Page and Plant were doing quite well, but definitely far from their best.

I'm sure the fact that 6/19 is a Millard recording doesn't hurt either! ;)

Jimmy Page and Rat Scabies!! Jan 7 1984, Its only rehearsals and even though Jimmy's fingers get caught a couple times, for the most part, it's pretty cool stuff and there is a track that they try several times that sounds like a pretty cool idea to me.

Edited by juxtiphi

Acoustic Set - June 23, 1977 - LA Forum

haven't listened to this show in a year and had forgotten how truly awesome the performance was! Watching golf with no sound, listening to this show in surround sound, with a grey goose and cranberry, and some very stinky, fresh green. :thumbsup:

:stereo:

What else but June 21, 1977 Forum of Inglewood. It's actually been a long time since I've listened to the entire "Listen to this, Eddie" bootleg.

A little over three hours later...Yep. Just as I remembered...an astounding show! What little piggly-wiggly mistakes you want to point out are crushed by the overwhelming force of the high points. Of which, there are many. That first half-hour blazed by with such fury before the band gives the audience a chance to collect its collective breath. Even though I prefer the 1975 NQs as a rule, there are still some great moments of madness in this version. 38 years later and this show still raises the hair on the back of my neck.

And for those who still don't get it, this show offers incontrovertable proof as to why it was the right decision for the band to call it quits in 1980...John Henry Bonham was IRREPLACEABLE.

Edited by Strider

Taking a day of rest...just as I did back then. Having that Friday break before the next show on Saturday the 25th gave my ears a chance to recuperate. A Zeppelin show had your ears ringing like Quasimodo ringing the bells of Notre Dame.