Need your help Zep fans

Hi all

I am doing a dissentation on Led Zeppeplin and fandom and was wondering if there are fans who can provide ten minutes asking a few questions, I would very much appreciate your feedback into why Zeppelin mean what they do to you. Please reply to this post if you can help.

Many Thanks 8-)

Hi all

I am doing a dissentation on Led Zeppeplin and fandom and was wondering if there are fans who can provide ten minutes asking a few questions, I would very much appreciate your feedback into why Zeppelin mean what they do to you. Please reply to this post if you can help.

Many Thanks 8-)

In my day this was known as getting someone to do your homework for you (oh I sound old....:slapface:).

I like Led Zeppelin for the music, I don't name my pets after the band or sleep under a Led Zeppelin duvet, if that helps.

what are the questions?

Thanks Cecil

As part of the project into fandom I decided the best way to gain a fuller insight into Led Zep fans was asking those on this site for their view points. As an ongoing project I appreciate your feedback 8-). Please find attatched a copy of the questions.

Also if other Zep fans can look at the attatchment I would be very happy for your feedback

Questions on Led Zeppelin fandom

• Have you got any tattoos of Led Zeppelin and how do you feel this expresses your fandom.

• How do you feel about tribute bands, are there any that you particularly like

• Have you got a favourite member of Zep and is their a particular element that drew you to his persona

• What do you think makes Led Zeppelin such a special band

• Do you wear particular items of clothing or model your appearance in a particular fashion. E.g. long hair, particular jeans due to your fandom.

• Have you seen Led Zeppelin live and do you feel fans that have are more in touch with the band. E.g. a potential hierarchy between fans.

• How old were you when you became a fan of Zep, have they always been part of your life, or was their a special moment of discovery.

PLEASE ANSWER THE QUESTIONS IN AN HONEST VIEW POINT, IF THERE ARE ANY QUESTIONS YOU ARE UNFAMILIER WITH PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

Many Thanks,

Rob Biggs, Year 2 Media & Culture; UWIC

biggsy1986abc@yahoo.co.uk

Hey Uwic,

Thanks for the Message I've put my replies here;

1.Tattoos. I have a phobia of needles so I cannot really answer , but I do not think a band would be my first choice .

Maybe a pattern... not really hot on the subject.

2. Tribute bands, seen a few not just from England , I do not have a favourite , but I prefer sounds like Zep to looks

like Zep as a rule of thumb.

3.Favourite Band Member, Jimmy Page I cannot play the guitar for toffee, yet he always seems to come up with something

which make you think damn that's good. I cannot even get it right playing a cricket bat!

4.Led Zeppelin why ...The music.

5.I have long hair but no nothing to do with fandom.

6. Knebworth 11th August a long time ago, so if I meet someone who attended Bath, Electric Magic, 1975, or 1977 shows I will hold the door open,buy the drinks and

hopefully hear about the shows, In context I am not fan of the three members playing together as Led Zeppelin. that ended in !980. I do not think there is a hierarchy though

between younger fans and older, more of a broad range of views....

7.Since hearing Led Zeppelin 2 in 1977 I think on cassette I liked it....never had a big moment of discovery.

hope that helps.

1. Tattoos... in the planning stage (I want the Runes somewhere, but can't legally get inked for a few years)

2. Well I'm hopefully going to see "Get The Led Out" this weekend, so I'll let you know after that.

3. Jonesy! I think he can play every instrument known to man. I also love that personal side of him, the family man. And he's just a creative genius.

4. The music... the image...the mystery? They were so different from any other band at the time - or ever. They set themselves apart from most of the music industry. I think they've stood the test of time because the music still speaks to us.

5. I considered getting a perm, and I wear my hair long anyways. I have some earrings that are the Celtic trinity like JPJ's symbol. I have several articles of colthing; sweater vests, bellbottoms, and frilly, open shirts. Almost everything I wear looks like it came from the 70's.

6. Well I have obviously never seen Zeppelin live, but I'm not really sure that there's a "heirarchy" or anything.

7. Well Zeppelin was always 'there', but I really discovered them for myself when I was about 12. I think my moments of discover were hearing "Immigrant Song" and "Ramble On" for the first time. Then I found my Mom's 'Early Days and Latter Days' CDs and the rest is history...

Hope it helps!!

1. Tattoos - No

2. Tribute Bands - I have only seen Oz tribute bands Gold Zeppelin in the '80's, Zeppelin Live who are playing at Zepfest 2011 and Whole Lotta Love - Led Zeppelin Celebration. A necessary evil IMO as long as the music is on but the vocals are hard to match in most instances, for obvious reasons.

3. I like them all equally as the band was the sum of it's parts. Best guitarist, vocalist, bassist / keyboardist etc and drummer I have seen live.

4. The music. All that other crap may interest others but not me.

5. I had long hair back in the day mostly because it was part of the culture of the time not necessarily because of Zeppelin, but they were part of it.

6. Sydney 1972, my first live concert and I've seen many bands over the years and no-one comes close. Heirarchy, no, but some ' fans" seem to have a notion that they are better than others, especially some who have seen them live or supposedly know or are close to the band.

7. 16 - Led Zeppelin II. Back in '69 the Australian government applied an embargo on imported music. The reason being they wanted to help the local music industry? This created an unusual if not unprecedented situation where Led Zeppelin II was released before Led Zeppelin I.

I hope this helps.

1- No tats anywhere on me. Just a birthmark God placed on my left asscheek.

2-Saw a triute band,'Stairway to Heaven' many years ago. Enjoyed the show.

3-Plant is my favorite. I like his sense of humor. Great artistry with the words he uses in a simple conversation.Always admired JPJ and his low key modesty. JPJ personality is more in line with my own.

4-LZ as a special band... it either clicks with you or it doesn't. That's hard to describe. Many of my teenage pals didn't get from Zep what I was receiving from Zep.

5-No emulation in fasion of me regarding Led Zep. Though, I might try to invoke my own 'plantation' with the many folks I come into contact with. More in a business sense. It easily puts people at ease. Thanks Robert!

6-I witnessed Led Zeppelin live and feel the ground is fairly level with those who didn't. Much if not most of what I've learned about the band comes from sources who never saw them live.

7-I was a fan of Zep at 14 or 15, but that elevated multi-fold after experiencing their concert, May 18, 1977.

• Have you got any tattoos of Led Zeppelin and how do you feel this expresses your fandom.
No I do not have any. I don't think it makes you a better or bigger fan. Everybody expresses their individuality differently. I choose not to be tattooed.

I think if a major band has a tribute band, than they must have done something right. That's huge. I mean The Beatles have their own tribute band (probably numerous one's) and I think they are great. I don't really have any favorite's at the moment but that could change.

• Have you got a favourite member of Zep and is their a particular element that drew you to his persona
Yes. Jimmy Page. He has been a huge inspiration to me. I like everything about him. His personality, his talk right down to his guitar playing. Huge role model for me since I want to learn to play guitar.

They are special because they are like nothing I have ever heard before. Not every song is the same. Each song has their own different meaning & it keeps you guessing. Plus they play instruments unlike acts today. You have to give them credit for that.

• Do you wear particular items of clothing or model your appearance in a particular fashion. E.g. long hair, particular jeans due to your fandom.
Well I own several Zeppelin t shirts so I wear them as much as I possibly can. You don't see many girls (or anybody) wearing Zeppelin shirts around where I live. I tend to stick out. Then people have the nerve to ask me if I have heard of them (regarding the t shirt).

• Have you seen Led Zeppelin live and do you feel fans that have are more in touch with the band. E.g. a potential hierarchy between fans.

I have not seen Zeppelin live. I don't think they are more in touch. No. I feel I am close to the band & I have never seen them in real life. I guess you could say they are with me in spirit sort of. Even though I haven't met them personally, certain things remind me of them.

• How old were you when you became a fan of Zep, have they always been part of your life, or was their a special moment of discovery.

Special moment of discovery. I haven't been a fan of them all my life. I used to listen to rap/hip hop etc. But finally realized that taste of music genre wasn't leading me any where special. So I made a u turn and went back to the past were I discovered a whole new meaning to music. And I don't plan on turning back.

Have you got any tattoos of Led Zeppelin and how do you feel this expresses your fandom?

- Not yet. But there's plenty of time!

How do you feel about tribute bands, are there any that you particularly like?

- If they're good, they're good. If they're bad, then get off the stage, you're dishonouring the gods. But in all honesty I don't see why such good musicians dedicate their life to reproducing the exact sound of somebody else's band... I thought 'Whole Lotta Led' were good though :)

Have you got a favourite member of Zep and is their a particular element that drew you to his persona?

- JIMMY PAGE. Particular element that drew me to his persona? Well he's just simply an amazing guitarist! He inspired me to pick up the guitar. Fucking awesome!

What do you think makes Led Zeppelin such a special band?

- Every song they ever wrote was a work of genius.

Do you wear particular items of clothing or model your appearance in a particular fashion. E.g. long hair, particular jeans due to your fandom?

- Yes. Yes, yes.

Have you seen Led Zeppelin live and do you feel fans that have are more in touch with the band. E.g. a potential hierarchy between fans?

- I havn't seen them, everyone who has seen them are lucky! They probably think of themselves as higher ranking fans than people who hasn't seen them live, but what were Studio Albums made for, ehh?

How old were you when you became a fan of Zep, have they always been part of your life, or was their a special moment of discovery?

- 10. How The West Was Won was released and I heard it. BOOM!

They are special because they are like nothing I have ever heard before. Not every song is the same. Each song has their own different meaning & it keeps you guessing. Plus they play instruments unlike acts today. You have to give them credit for that.

By this do you mean that current musicians don't play instruments?

1. No

2. No

3. No

4. Zeppelin is great because each member is a master of their craft and the synergy between them creates a whole greater than the sum of its parts.

5. No

6. Yes, I've seen them but I do not understand the rest of the question.

7. I've been a fan since I first heard them when I was 13.

Jahfin

Sorry if I offended you with my reply but,

Maybe some acts today do. But not what I have been hearing. It seems like it doesn't take much talent to be famous.

You didn't offend me, I just don't agree is all. Who are these artists you're referring to? As for it not taking much talent to be famous, talent has never been a prerequisite for success. It has much more to do with being in the right place at the right time. That's was just as true in Zeppelin's heyday as it is now, it's not unique to any one time period.

This is gonna be a whole lotta quantitative data to analyze; it makes me wanna womit just thinkin' about it. cry.gif Good luck with your research!

Have you got any tattoos of Led Zeppelin and how do you feel this expresses your fandom?

No. To answer the second part of your question, I suppose people who get Zep tattoos are confident with their infallible views of the band, and they must consider Zeppelin a permanent, important part of themselves...

Never seen any, but they seem corny, so I ignore them.

Have you got a favourite member of Zep and is their a particular element that drew you to his persona?

Robert. Cuz he smiles a lot and seems happy and that makes me happy.

The band is comprised of very talented, intelligent individuals who can create impressive songs -- borrowing from various genres and cultures -- but still keep the songs honest and accessible.

Do you wear particular items of clothing or model your appearance in a particular fashion. E.g. long hair, particular jeans due to your fandom?

No. Any similarities between my wardrobe and Led Zeppelin's are entirely coincidental.

Have you seen Led Zeppelin live and do you feel fans that have are more in touch with the band. E.g. a potential hierarchy between fans?

Never seen 'em live. I don't think there's necessarily a hierarchy or social stratification amongst Zep fans. However, someone who's seen the band live will obviously be viewed as a good source of knowledge. So, it's more like an egalitarian society with a couple "big men" wandering around.

How old were you when you became a fan of Zep, have they always been part of your life, or was their a special moment of discovery?

I was a late-bloomer -- nineteen! Special moment of discovery? Hrm. I was just getting interested in anthropology and was hypersensitive to different cultures. I was bewildered that a British band could borrow from old Americana (Blues) and splice it with rock n' roll to create such a powerful sound. (I was also retarded, because I didn't realize other British bands did the same thing. But I like Zep best!)

EDIT:

Plant is my favorite. I like his sense of humor. Great artistry with the words he uses in a simple conversation.

Agreed! He can charm a bird off a tree. I wanna learn how to do that...

You didn't offend me, I just don't agree is all. Who are these artists you're referring to? As for it not taking much talent to be famous, talent has never been a prerequisite for success. It has much more to do with being in the right place at the right time. That's was just as true in Zeppelin's heyday as it is now, it's not unique to any one time period.

I think I know what she's talking about. Note that she said before Zep she was listening to rap and hip-hop. In my opinion, good hip-hop is rare. Also, they most certainly don't play any instruments. When MTV actually roped LL Cool J into performing on Unplugged, he had no idea what he was doing. (Why they asked him to do Unplugged is a mystery to me...)

Plus, if you go buy albums from the big mainstream bands, they may's well be playing with wind-up baby guitars compared to Zep.

I think she's just comparing the shit-pop of today to what was making lotsa money back then, and it does seem that famous bands in the 60s and the 70s at least had more talent than pouting at the camera, lip-syncing, or whining to an unimpressive keyboard/guitar accompaniment. Course... you have to factor in The Monkees, though. :D

This is gonna be a whole lotta quantitative data to analyze; it makes me wanna womit just thinkin' about it. cry.gif Good luck with your research!

No. To answer the second part of your question, I suppose people who get Zep tattoos are confident with their infallible views of the band, and they must consider Zeppelin a permanent, important part of themselves...

Never seen any, but they seem corny, so I ignore them.

Robert. Cuz he smiles a lot and seems happy and that makes me happy.

The band is comprised of very talented, intelligent individuals who can create impressive songs -- borrowing from various genres and cultures -- but still keep the songs honest and accessible.

No. Any similarities between my wardrobe and Led Zeppelin's are entirely coincidental.

Never seen 'em live. I don't think there's necessarily a hierarchy or social stratification amongst Zep fans. However, someone who's seen the band live will obviously be viewed as a good source of knowledge. So, it's more like an egalitarian society with a couple "big men" wandering around.

I was a late-bloomer -- nineteen! Special moment of discovery? Hrm. I was just getting interested in anthropology and was hypersensitive to different cultures. I was bewildered that a British band could borrow from old Americana (Blues) and splice it with rock n' roll to create such a powerful sound. (I was also retarded, because I didn't realize other British bands did the same thing. But I like Zep best!)

EDIT:

Agreed! He can charm a bird off a tree. I wanna learn how to do that...

I think I know what she's talking about. Note that she said before Zep she was listening to rap and hip-hop. In my opinion, good hip-hop is rare. Also, they most certainly don't play any instruments. When MTV actually roped LL Cool J into performing on Unplugged, he had no idea what he was doing. (Why they asked him to do Unplugged is a mystery to me...)

Plus, if you go buy albums from the big mainstream bands, they may's well be playing with wind-up baby guitars compared to Zep.

I think she's just comparing the shit-pop of today to what was making lotsa money back then, and it does seem that famous bands in the 60s and the 70s at least had more talent than pouting at the camera, lip-syncing, or whining to an unimpressive keyboard/guitar accompaniment. Course... you have to factor in The Monkees, though. :D

This is exactly what I meant. Thank you..

To my knowledge, LL Cool J doesn't play an instrument to start with, he's a rapper. The backing band however, were playing instruments. That was the purpose of having an episode of Unplugged dedicated to rap. I also regard the turntable as instrument, which is how it's used in rap and hip-hop.

What mainstream bands are you referring to?

There were also tons of teenybopper artists filling the charts back then, same as there are now.

I love Led Zeppelin, they're one of my very favorite bands but I don't put them (or any artist for that matter) on a pedestal.

* Have you got any tattoos of Led Zeppelin and how do you feel this expresses your fandom.

I have no tattoos at all but am planning to have my liver pierced.

* How do you feel about tribute bands, are there any that you particularly like.

I am sceptical about many of them since I play and write music myself. Nothing bad bout paying tribute to a great band, but I prefer the original or someone who does it better.

* Have you got a favourite member of Zep and is their a particular element that drew you to his persona.

Bonzo for beeing a great hotel room re-decorator.

Plant for beeing as serious as I am.

* What do you think makes Led Zeppelin such a special band.

Their shoes.

* Do you wear particular items of clothing or model your appearance in a particular fashion. E.g. long hair, particular jeans due to your fandom.

I love to dress up as Aleister Crowley as you may have noticed.

* Have you seen Led Zeppelin live and do you feel fans that have are more in touch with the band. E.g. a potential hierarchy between fans.

I saw the best tribute Zep twice, 9 and 10 December 2007 at the O2....Bonzo would have been proud

As far as people that are in touch with the band, I have never met anybody yet who gave oral sex to them backstage.

* How old were you when you became a fan of Zep, have they always been part of your life, or was their a special moment of discovery.

Many moons ago, when I was younger (About 23 years ago at the tender age of 19) I had the chance to listen to Kashmir while smoking hashish from indeed....Kashmir. That blew my mind.

* How do you feel about tribute bands, are there any that you particularly like.

I am sceptical about many of them since I play and write music myself. Nothing bad bout paying tribute to a great band, but I prefer the original or someone who does it better.

Can't believe you said this! Why? Find a Led Zeppelin cover band that does it better than them and then I'll prove to you that I'm the actual Messiah!

Questions on Led Zeppelin fandom

PLEASE ANSWER THE QUESTIONS IN AN HONEST VIEW POINT, IF THERE ARE ANY QUESTIONS YOU ARE UNFAMILIER WITH PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

biggsy1986abc@yahoo.co.uk

No tattoos

Never seen a Led Zeppelin tribute band but some of them have good web site's with good sound's.

I was introduced to the lesser known Zeppelin song's by a friend in the early 1980's, we where band mate's and I was taken by all there attributes, no one thing stands out really, they're all good at there part's. (I am a drummer first and foremost so, I guess Bonzo would be my favorite if your going to press me)

Like I just said, they all played there part and where a tight nit group, even if they some times sounded lose they just had it going on.

As far as styling myself after there appearance, I'd say no, but I did grow up in the 1970's so I had long hair for a boy.

I never got to see them perform (unfortunately) I was 15 or 16 when Bonzo died so I was to young in the 1970's to go to one of there shows at that time. This group is sort of like the Grateful Dead with there devoted following.

I remember hearing the older popular song's on AM radio when I was young (1970's) but like a said before I was in my mid teens when I found the rest of there catalog

Raymond Ward, November 2010

Archived