Robert Plant: Led Zeppelin 'a bit of a pain in the pisser'

emiliana

Like I said in my previous post to YOU, you just dont get it and thats ok with me! Is this ok with you or do you still have the urge to discuss this further? If yes, feel free to send me a PM, I cant gurantee i will read it let alone respond to it. If no, then hopefully this matter is closed with you.

You replied directly to one of his posts after going on a ramble about ignoring him. That was my point.

I'm not here to trade insults with vulgar, insulting posters who are in a state of apathy concerning Led Zeppelin (or a new incarnation of it) and gleefully accept comparativly lousy side projects at a time when all Zepp fans could be enjoying incredible performances and music (as proven beyond doubt 2007). I'm here to point out that an incredible musical experience is missing at the present moment, and is deliberately being halted.

Listen Hugh, I doubt you'll find anyone here that doesn't wish that the guy's would tour together again, maybe put an album out but the fact is, it's not going to happen. If you wish to blame Robert for that then by all means do but I think it's pretty clear that your arguement is not convincing very many on this site. I'm not sure what it is you hope to achieve by continuing this discussion but it doesn't seem that it's going anywhere. Nobody is trying to tell you that you're not entitled to your opinion, rather, it's just a very old opinion that has seen plenty of mileage over the last few years. Time to give it a rest :beer:

Led Zeppelin music is pretty intense - it takes 100% dedication to play, because otherwise it doesn't even sound right. Think about, say, In My Time of Dying from Earl's Court, on the DVD - going through the motions is an absolute impossibility. Robert sang very well at the O2, and obviously wanted the gig to be a really good one, but we also know by now that it was difficult for him, since basically it's something he doesn't want to be doing now.

I guess the others (not just Jimmy) felt it was a triumph, which it obviously was, and they felt it would be good to do some more work together. That's very, very natural. It was good, they loved it, people loved it. Probably they hoped that Robert was feeling the same, at least to an extent where applying a little pressure wouldn't hurt. But he seems not to have shared that pure sense of elation. No point blaming him, it's just how he feels. Again, Led Zeppelin means dedication from all of them, and if that's lacking, it can't be.

Led Zeppelin music is pretty intense - it takes 100% dedication to play, because otherwise it doesn't even sound right. Think about, say, In My Time of Dying from Earl's Court, on the DVD - going through the motions is an absolute impossibility. Robert sang very well at the O2, and obviously wanted the gig to be a really good one, but we also know by now that it was difficult for him, since basically it's something he doesn't want to be doing now.

I guess the others (not just Jimmy) felt it was a triumph, which it obviously was, and they felt it would be good to do some more work together. That's very, very natural. It was good, they loved it, people loved it. Probably they hoped that Robert was feeling the same, at least to an extent where applying a little pressure wouldn't hurt. But he seems not to have shared that pure sense of elation. No point blaming him, it's just how he feels. Again, Led Zeppelin means dedication from all of them, and if that's lacking, it can't be.

And I wouldn't want to see a show where that dedication or interest is lacking.

Thanks, Kneb.

And I wouldn't want to see a show where that dedication or interest is lacking.

Well, you saw them - I didn't! :lol: But yeah, I agree, it would be quite horrendous.

In theory, just abstractly, I guess you could approach the playing and singing just technically. But the way they always did things that was never even an option. For example, it was essential to the music itself to never completely separate the element of writing from the element of performance in a way that I think was somewhat unusual. Of course, in a way that's typical for popular music as distinct from "classical" music, where the composition has become an entirely separate process and the performers are left with "only" the interpretation of the finished result, etc. But with Zeppelin this was taken further than usual: a sense of risk, excitement, dedication, all this emotional content, is woven right into the ever-changing fabric of the music itself, constitutes the music itself. It's an actual lived experience in time and space, and you sense this quality also in the studio recordings.

Thanks, Kneb.

Well, you saw them - I didn't! :lol: But yeah, I agree, it would be quite horrendous.

In theory, just abstractly, I guess you could approach the playing and singing just technically. But the way they always did things that was never even an option. For example, it was essential to the music itself to never completely separate the element of writing from the element of performance in a way that I think was somewhat unusual. Of course, in a way that's typical for popular music as distinct from "classical" music, where the composition has become an entirely separate process and the performers are left with "only" the interpretation of the finished result, etc. But with Zeppelin this was taken further than usual: a sense of risk, excitement, dedication, all this emotional content, is woven right into the ever-changing fabric of the music itself, constitutes the music itself. It's an actual lived experience in time and space, and you sense this quality also in the studio recordings.

Yeah, they lived for the moment and they took us with them

• 2 weeks later...

It took me a while to appreciate Robert Plant's solo stuff. I have to admit I was disappointed when I saw Robert Plant (solo) back in the 80's and 90's. I expected him to play more Zeppelin and when he did play LZ songs, he put his changed things so much. I saw his latest gig with the band of joy... pretty pretty good.

• 3 weeks later...

Alice Cooper - Alice Cooper Blasts Robert Plant

contactmusic.com

Thank you Alice. You're absolutely right. As if Plant is the only person ever devastated by the loss of a dear friend. Give it a rest Robert. "Emotional condoms" my foot. He did "Page/Plant" and he won't do Zep? Puh-leeze. Thanks for being so friggin' self-absorbed and for putting out 30 years of mostly boring music. I'll bet Bonzo thinks you've been a self-pitying JERK for not carrying on with Zeppelin.

Flame away folks, I really don't care.

Thank you Alice. You're absolutely right. As if Plant is the only person ever devastated by the loss of a dear friend. Give it a rest Robert. "Emotional condoms" my foot. He did "Page/Plant" and he won't do Zep? Puh-leeze. Thanks for being so friggin' self-absorbed and for putting out 30 years of mostly boring music. I'll bet Bonzo thinks you've been a self-pitying JERK for not carrying on with Zeppelin.

Neither does Robert Plant!

Moron.

Thank you Alice. You're absolutely right.

Robert Plant is not obligated to do anyone's bidding. He should do as he pleases. Besides, he got one thing right. He kissed me in my dreams last night, which I thought was very nice. I hope that everything is alright. I don't always find the right words to say but I do my best.

I'm glad you don't care. It's the mark of a true talent when they take a dump in a thread and then announce they don't care if other people don't like/agree with the comment.

Archived