Robert Plant: Led Zeppelin 'a bit of a pain in the pisser'

emiliana

The 02 show was beautiful. They put everything they had into that evening. I think the thought of making an official dvd out of that show, and having people use that as a band reference for years after they were gone, scared the shit out of more than Robert. A tour of any kind became even more daunting. Those songs were dropped a key for a reason.

And looking at it from a bigger perspective, it is we the fans that are just as guilty as anyone else for a tour never occurring since Bonham's death. If these guys were starving for cash in their later years, as some other bands from their era were/are, that tour would have occurred 20 years ago, and 10 years ago, and last year too. The quality of their catalog and excellant business practices have put them above all that.

As someone who saw the band as a kid, and from today's perspective, I thank the Zeppelin Gods for the 98' Plant/Page show I saw. That was the reunion. It might not have been Zeppelin, but Jimmy's solo during "No Quarter" was close enough for me.

BlackandGold you totally saw what I saw. What concert did you go to? Did he do that thing with Patty, I forget which song, where he and she held these really high, intense notes for a long time creating the most intense, thunderous sound I've ever heard. She also has a really powerful voice and the way he led her into it was pretty cool. He just sorta motions with his hands going up and she knows. And with some of the choruses, he'd say to her "one more time?" and she'd shake her head "yes". And yeah, through the entire concert he was like the "ringmaster" leading us into as he called it "the ever-changing Band of Joy". I wish I could see him every night. We in Philly had entered "the land of the ice and snow" that night and the place was still packed. EVERYONE showed up in what Robert called "treacherous weather". It was way worth it. Love him. Can't wait to hear the new music.

BlackandGold you totally saw what I saw. What concert did you go to? Did he do that thing with Patty, I forget which song, where he and she held these really high, intense notes for a long time creating the most intense, thunderous sound I've ever heard. She also has a really powerful voice and the way he led her into it was pretty cool. He just sorta motions with his hands going up and she knows. And with some of the choruses, he'd say to her "one more time?" and she'd shake her head "yes". And yeah, through the entire concert he was like the "ringmaster" leading us into as he called it "the ever-changing Band of Joy". I wish I could see him every night. We in Philly had entered "the land of the ice and snow" that night and the place was still packed. EVERYONE showed up in what Robert called "treacherous weather". It was way worth it. Love him. Can't wait to hear the new music.

Avacardo and Blackandgold, what a pear you must of been if you were at te same concert B)

Pittsburgh, 2nd show of the tour. He commented that they were off to Russia for the second leg of the tour which would probably be warmer than Pittsburgh. I guess he meant Philly. :P I noticed Patty watching him the whole time, and the hand motions and nods that he was using to kind of lead her along. Satan, your Kingdom Must come down was incredible.

Have you noticed the setlists are different for each show. Same core songs, but different order and some different songs thrown in. I could see it every night also. Especially since the venue I saw it at was crappy. A college basketball gym. Thank God we had good seats and the sound was good.

BlackandGold, our concert was at the Tower Theater which is a very beautiful, old, ornate place and the sound was incredible at least from the second row. I think Robert WAS referring to Philly as Russia because it sure was that night. The weather was horrid. I was hoping to hang around and maybe get to meet him but no, it was THAT bad. Hope I can get another chance. When he did "Cindy" at our concert, he completely changed it, rocking it out with heavy guitars. It was amazing. Philly fans, maybe even more than most cities, are DIE HARD Zep fans and they could be very loving and also very CRUEL if they don't get what they want. Fortunately, this crowd was gracious and tellin you mostly everyone stood for the entire concert screaming their heads off. And oh he was/looked so happy! At some points, the look on his face- like he was in ecstasy. Oh, he didn't do Silver Rider? Maybe he thought it was too "slow" for Philly? - although some people were requesting it to him right from the beginning? When they were singing that last "I Bid You Goodnight" song, I almost yelled out "Robert! you didn't do Silver Rider"! but I held it back thank God. Oh yeah, he and Patty are tight and he has this amazing way of "teaching" if that's what you want to call it. At one point, he smoothly led her into this beautiful harmony where they held high, difficult notes and it was really beautiful. I noticed them all keeping an eye on him because you can see how he can change things right on the spot. Also, maybe they keep changing it up because you just KNOW Robert would totally get bored doing the same setlist at every concert. I'm hoping he comes back to my area again before the end of the summer. I love him for not canceling out on us which he had every right to do.

Leddy! Hey! I just noticed your post! lolll. What a "pear" we must have been? Did you mean "pair"??? Or DID you mean "pear" because I'm an Avacado"?? Anyway, yeah, we're women in love!!!

PEAR Yeh you got it :)

No one's condemning people for wishing RP would play with Page again. It's the damning of him for playing Zep tunes when he says he isn't interested in reforming Zep that people get angry about. He was part of Zep - why shouldn't he play them? If Page toured on his own, I would bet a hefty sum that he'd play Zep tunes. Wonder if anyone would say anything about that. I don't think the reason he's not forming Zep again has anything to do with his age. He seems pretty active to me. My feeling is it has more to do with the fact that he's not interested in resting on his laurels or staying stuck in the past- he's not gotten back with any of his prior bands and he had some great ones on his own. When he does revisit the Zep tunes or even his own solo material, it's always reworked to bring a fresh element to it.

Lets imagine for a minute that John Lennon had lived. And McCartney and him and Ringo and George did a one off. And then McCartmey toured with Wings. And Lennon asked him to reunite for a Beatles tour. Dont you think the reaction would be a bit the same?

"A bit of a pain in the pisser" :rolleyes::lol:

Fair enough. He just doesn't want to go back to making music within that whole framework, so he's bound to find it somewhat irritating how people go on about it. And yet - it's to be expected. He has made some really good music as part of his solo career, but the timeless brilliance he has achieved a few times was as part of Led Zeppelin. And you could say the same thing about the other members.

Bong-Man, you may have a point there, but what I was hoping for after O2 was not so much a huge tour, but rather that they would work together on Jimmy's new music. That would have given Robert the opportunity to sing original material in a way that is more natural for him now. What Robert has been doing instead is hardly more original than such a project would have been, but it is what he feels like doing. And that's great - not my cup of tea most of the time, but that's another story.

I wish I could see him every night.

I could see it every night also.

Interesting you both said this. After seeing the 2 shows last weekend in Toronto, I said to a friend "If I could see this show every night I'd be one happy girl". :)

I enjoyed the Raising Sand tour (caught 3 shows), but there was something different about this Band Of Joy show. I can't stop watching the YouTube vids!

Lets imagine for a minute that John Lennon had lived. And McCartney and him and Ringo and George did a one off. And then McCartmey toured with Wings. And Lennon asked him to reunite for a Beatles tour. Dont you think the reaction would be a bit the same?

What does this have to do with the topic at hand? Nevermind the fact that Lennon and Harrison have passed...

I will always wonder how much more brilliance we lost out on because of Bonzo's untimely death. Just imagine how much more fabulous material they could have done. I thinks its good Robert is happy. But I do hope Jimmy is happy too. I think of Jimmy often.

Personally, i think it would've been awful in the 80's. And, i also think RP would've bailed, anyway. He looked (and has hinted at in interviews) that he'd had enough of it.

Personally, i think it would've been awful in the 80's. i also think RP would've bailed, anyway. He looked (and has hinted at in interviews) that he'd had enough of it.

It's impossible to say but I think there was too much talent for the music to have ever become awful. I wanted to post Robert's very deliberately titled "Easily Lead" from 1985 as an example of where they could have gone but it seems it isn't available on You Tube. Quite right on the potential for Robert to resist a continuation if the '80 North American tour didn't go as well or better than the summer Over Europe '80 tour.

To be honest I think Jimmy's health might not have held up on the proposed 1980 North American tour, he was in dire straits in the time. From looks of pictures of him at the time he must have only weighed around 65 kgs. He could have easily OD'd IMO.

To be honest I think Jimmy's health might not have held up on the proposed 1980 North American tour, he was in dire straits in the time. From looks of pictures of him at the time he must have only weighed around 65 kgs. He could have easily OD'd IMO.

Yet, Page survived for being as thin as he was at the time. Jimmy wasn't the band member that collapsed during the 1980 tour. That was the brawniest guy in the band. I believe it was worse for Page's health after Zeppelin folded where he basically rotted. No focus or inspiration.

It's impossible to say but I think there was too much talent for the music to have ever become awful. I wanted to post Robert's very deliberately titled "Easily Lead" from 1985 as an example of where they could have gone but it seems it isn't available on You Tube. Quite right on the potential for Robert to resist a continuation if the '80 North American tour didn't go as well or better than the summer Over Europe '80 tour.

Yes but that talent would've started to pull in too many different directions. We've already heard that Page and Bonham wanted to get back to a heavier style, which i don't believe Plant would've been happy with.

What does this have to do with the topic at hand? Nevermind the fact that Lennon and Harrison have passed...

I used it as a comparison as to the demand their would have been for a reunion. Plant obviously gets annoyed with it. But what does he expect? The fans would have wanted a reunion, that is all I am saying missy

I think it's good that Robert Plant is doing what makes him happy. He loves what he did with Zeppelin but he also loves the new direction in his life. I think it's time people stopped asking him the same tired question over and over again. He will always be known as the front man to Zeppelin. Nothing will change that. I think he knows that and probably feels a reunion isn't going to change anything. Or maybe he's taken a good look at the Rolling Stones to see what happens when you try too hard for too long.

“At the time of the run-up and rehearsals towards the [O2] show, I think we assumed that there were going to be more dates. It would have been nice to have played more concerts. But, even while I was going ’round doing Christmas shopping, people were still coming up and saying, ‘Is there a chance of a reunion?’ I don’t have any real answer, apart from that it doesn’t look like it" - Jimmy Page interview with the Sunday Times

This is the problem, once you do something like that (O2), its very difficult to then infer it's not a big deal and leave it at that. Robert Plant is no dummy, he knows what kind of reaction O2 was going to generate. If he didnt want it to be a pain in the pisser, he should have left it alone. This is why he gets so much grief on so many of these sites, more now than ever.

“At the time of the run-up and rehearsals towards the [O2] show, I think we assumed that there were going to be more dates. It would have been nice to have played more concerts. But, even while I was going ’round doing Christmas shopping, people were still coming up and saying, ‘Is there a chance of a reunion?’ I don’t have any real answer, apart from that it doesn’t look like it" - Jimmy Page interview with the Sunday Times

This is the problem, once you do something like that (O2), its very difficult to then infer it's not a big deal and leave it at that. Robert Plant is no dummy, he knows what kind of reaction O2 was going to generate. If he didnt want it to be a pain in the pisser, he should have left it alone. This is why he gets so much grief on so many of these sites, more now than ever.

Left what alone? Robert made no promises or hints that the show was anything beyond what it was. That people expected more is a different story. Robert gets a lot of grief because many so called fans can't seem to let go of the past and accept that he's moved on.

Left what alone? Robert made no promises or hints that the show was anything beyond what it was. That people expected more is a different story. Robert gets a lot of grief because many so called fans can't seem to let go of the past and accept that he's moved on.

You don't understand. Everything Robert does is wrong, everything he says is wrong, he might as well shuffle off to a pensioner's home and be done with it.

:rolleyes:

Archived