Carouselambra

Sisters of the way-side bide their time in quiet peace,

Await their place within the ring of calm;

Still stand to turn in seconds of release,

Await the call they know may never come.

In times of lightness, no intruder dared upon

To jeopardize the course upset the run;

And all was joy and hands were raised towards the sun

As love in the halls of plenty overrun.

Still in their bliss unchallenged mighty feast,

Unending dances shadowed on the day.

Within their walls,their daunting formless keep,

Preserved their joy and kept their doubts at bay.

Faceless legions stood in readiness to weep,

Just turn a coin, bring order to the fray;

And everything is soon no sooner thought than deed,

But no seemed to question in anyway.

How keen the storied hunter's eye prevails upon land

To seek the unsuspecting and the weak;

And powerless the fabled sat, to smug to lift a hand

Toward the foe that threatened from the deep.

Who cares to dry the cheeks of those who saddened stand

Adrift upon a sea of futile speech?

And to fall fate and make the 'status plan'

Where was your word, where did you go?

Where was your helping, where was your bow? Bow.

Dull is the armour, cold is the day.

Hard is the journey, dark was the way. Way.

I heard the word; I couldn't stay. Oh.

I couldn't stand it another day, another day,

Another day,

another day.

Roused from the keeper's sleep,

Release the grip, throw down the key.

Held now within knowing,

Rest now now within peace.

Take of the fruit, but guard the seed.

They had to stay!

Held now within knowing,

Rest now within the beat.

Take of the fruit, but guard the seed........

(that's what I've got) Oh and by the way.....definately one of my favorite songs!!! These are some strong lyrics imho.

And who said Plant got better as a lyricist after Zeppelin, this is some of his best lyics if not best ever .

I remember picking up the lp the day it was released and I thought that track was particularly interesting. Zeppelin never was static; always pushing the musical boundaries.

The track also featured Jimmy Page on the doubleneck Gibson. He switches between 12 and 6 string whithin the song.

Edited by sixpense

This is actually one of my favorite songs from ITTOD and, lyrically, one of my favorites from LZ's later work. My friends and I have sometimes talked about this song - I usually comment that, for me, it reads like an epic poem (something along the lines of ALS) - I love these lyrics of Robert's and, as with ALS, we all have our own interpretation of them based on our own experiences.

As far as ITTOD, when it was released (my husband took me to the record store to buy it, the day it was released), I never expected it to be LZ, HOTH, PG, etc. - it was right before the start of a new decade, we (including the Zep guys) had all grown up so much, our lives had changed, and this album seemed right for the time. Someone once commented here that she felt the album was "sad" or "depressing" - I never saw that at all - it was right around the time of the Knebworth concerts, not long before the start of the '80 European tour, my husband and I and our friends were talking about seeing Zep again if/when they came back to the U.S. - it seemed like a bright time and this album held so much promise, I think, of what LZ could have been, musically, in the next decade.

Edited by MadScreamingGallery

Agreed. I still however think it to be odd in a very lame way. Compared to another odd song like no quarter which is also a moody piece, this song stinks. Yes it reflects the times which is exactly the problem. Now take another song on in through the outdoor, In the Evening, that is the true epic from ITTOD and from 79 in general.

I wouldn't compare it to No Quarter.... why would anyone for that mater. I wouldn't compare it to any other Zeppelin song except maybe Achilles Last Stand. ITTOD was an odd album. Some people dislike and to some, it's their favorite. Jimmy and John Bonham weren't in great shape at all. Robert was clean and sober, but still reeliing from the biggest loss of his life. John Paul Jones was really the only one who had it all together and he did the best he could. That being said... Carouselambra is my favorite song on ITTOD by far, because it was so different.

This is actually one of my favorite songs from ITTOD and, lyrically, one of my favorites from LZ's later work. My friends and I have sometimes talked about this song - I usually comment that, for me, it reads like an epic poem (something along the lines of ALS) - I love these lyrics of Robert's and, as with ALS, we all have our own interpretation of them based on our own experiences.

As far as ITTOD, when it was released (my husband took me to the record store to buy it, the day it was released), I never expected it to be LZ, HOTH, PG, etc. - it was right before the start of a new decade, we (including the Zep guys) had all grown up so much, our lives had changed, and this album seemed right for the time. Someone once commented here that she felt the album was "sad" or "depressing" - I never saw that at all - it was right around the time of the Knebworth concerts, not long before the start of the '80 European tour, my husband and I and our friends were talking about seeing Zep again if/when they came back to the U.S. - it seemed like a bright time and this album held so much promise, I think, of what LZ could have been, musically, in the next decade.

I was young when it came out and I remember "Fool In The Rain" being so different from the other Zep I had heard in passing (wasn't a big fan at that point) and in the years that followed "Carouselambra" kinda got lost in that whole "Miami Vice" keyboard sound, for me - I was more into the 80's metal scene. It wasn't until later that I really became appreciative of the musical value of that song. It would have been nice to see what they would have done with that song, live, in the 80's. Was nice to hear it inserted into ITE during the P/P tours.

I wouldn't compare it to No Quarter.... why would anyone for that mater. I wouldn't compare it to any other Zeppelin song except maybe Achilles Last Stand. ITTOD was an odd album. Some people dislike and to some, it's their favorite. Jimmy and John Bonham weren't in great shape at all. Robert was clean and sober, but still reeliing from the biggest loss of his life. John Paul Jones was really the only one who had it all together and he did the best he could. That being said... Carouselambra is my favorite song on ITTOD by far, because it was so different.

I compared it to No Quarter because of a few things. One being both are lengthy Zeppelin tracks. 2 both are considered zeppelin epics to some. 3 Both are very moody songs. Oh and 4 both seem out of place on their respective albums....so please spare me the lecture on zeppelin history etc. Ive listened to it all and heard it all. Btw i like the song enough to listen to it when im a bit tired of everything else. You see i like every song by led Zeppelin, i just like some more than others. If there is one thing that i love about this song it is the slower middle section which is pretty awesome. :D

Another day,

another day.

Held now within knowing,

They had to stay!

Held now within knowing,

(that's what I've got) Oh and by the way.....definately one of my favorite songs!!! These are some strong lyrics imho.

Thanks a lot. I could have just googled the lyrics but its nice to hear from other people and what they think. I agree very good lyrics.

• 2 weeks later...

I compared it to No Quarter because of a few things. One being both are lengthy Zeppelin tracks. 2 both are considered zeppelin epics to some. 3 Both are very moody songs. Oh and 4 both seem out of place on their respective albums....so please spare me the lecture on zeppelin history etc. Ive listened to it all and heard it all. Btw i like the song enough to listen to it when im a bit tired of everything else. You see i like every song by led Zeppelin, i just like some more than others. If there is one thing that i love about this song it is the slower middle section which is pretty awesome. :D

Sorry i wish I saw this earlier. I wasn't trying to give you a lecture or a Led Zeppelin history lesson. "Why would anyone for that matter?" was kind of rude of me though and sorry for that.

I didn't state anything a Zeppelin fan doesn't know..... But you did say "compared to No Quarter, the song stinks". That got to me a little and I didn't see the connection between the 2 tracks.

Carouselambra always reminded me more of Achilles Last Stand because of the tempo and length.

Sorry i wish I saw this earlier. I wasn't trying to give you a lecture or a Led Zeppelin history lesson. "Why would anyone for that matter?" was kind of rude of me though and sorry for that.

I didn't state anything a Zeppelin fan doesn't know..... But you did say "compared to No Quarter, the song stinks". That got to me a little and I didn't see the connection between the 2 tracks.

Carouselambra always reminded me more of Achilles Last Stand because of the tempo and length.

Yeah i did exaggerate when i said it stinks. I actually gave it a few listens after i started this thread and I can say i enjoy it much more :P.

I think carouselambra always reminded me of a carnival and i pictured kids playing around on merry-go-rounds or something lol. Possibly another reason why i never took it too seriously.

Another day,

another day.

Held now within knowing,

They had to stay!

Held now within knowing,

I can't edit my earlier reply to this, but I'd like to revise my opinion.

At first I thought the organ/synth (?) at the start and end of the song was a little too sing-song-y.

I liked Jimmy Page's stuff in the middle very much from the get go.

But I've listened to this song several more times since my other post. And I must say, this is a sleeper hit.

I''ve come to appreciate JPJ's sections which do balance out that moody piece JP does in the middle.............:) missy

well this part i imagine....as the album on the whole was a bit lightweight compared to the guitar heavy Presence

not that i agreed mind you........and it was released at the height of anti disco hysteria dry.gif

Yes, and not only that they made it in the AbbA Studios.

There are great moments in this composition but:

The voice is to low.The keysound is ordinary and boring (No new soundeffects as in the past).

The songparts don´t seem to fit together.

I tried it often and listened to get a feeling of this title -without any result.

I have heard that Jimmy was sick in Stockholm and JPJ took over the production.Maybe that is the reason for this .

Even Robert apologiezed for this track once. He said this was supposed to be a new ALS.?!?

But he said that the lyrics are very good (don´t know if he himselve or Harper wrotes them).Who knows about this ?

Roy has written some lyrics for ITTOD as far as I know.

Songs on ITTOD need a lot more recogniton I believe they are extremely creative and just as good as the songs on PG or LZ II for example, I think because this was such a Jones orientated album and it sounded diffrent to what all the fans and listeners alike and have been enjoying such as LZ II that they didn't take it in aswell, and its very easy to spot the diffrence between a Page orientated album and a Jonesy one such as ITTOD, Carouselambra IMO should be on the same page as Kashmir and Stairway sadly as it's so Jones orientated and people weren't used to a new style album from Led it sadly is overlooked. :peace:

Songs on ITTOD need a lot more recogniton I believe they are extremely creative and just as good as the songs on PG or LZ II for example, I think because this was such a Jones orientated album and it sounded diffrent to what all the fans and listeners alike and have been enjoying such as LZ II that they didn't take it in aswell, and its very easy to spot the diffrence between a Page orientated album and a Jonesy one such as ITTOD, Carouselambra IMO should be on the same page as Kashmir and Stairway sadly as it's so Jones orientated and people weren't used to a new style album from Led it sadly is overlooked. :peace:

I've always enjoyed In Through The Out Door. It wasn't until I went online and found this site that I found that so many people hated it. Interesting to read the various opinions of it but I still love it.

I've always enjoyed In Through The Out Door. It wasn't until I went online and found this site that I found that so many people hated it. Interesting to read the various opinions of it but I still love it.

Always have been a fan of the album too.

What blows me away is that Darlene, Wearing and Tearing, and Ozone Baby didn't make the grade for In Through The Out Door.

Those songs are as good or better than a couple of tracks on ITTOD to me. Revisit those tunes if you haven't given them a spin lately.

I wish that the band had played I'm Gonna Crawl in 1980 instead of Since I've Been Loving You. That song is simply my fav from ITTOD. I saw Jason Bonham Led zep experience play it as part of their set and it just flowed really nicely. They also played I can't Quit You Baby and SIBLY. All 3 are great blues tracks. Notice I did not include tea for one. That is probably the most boring zeppelin track ever made....When plant says "It seems like a lifetime" you start to take his word for it!

I think you're wrong there mate. I always thought that was about his time spent in hospital or rehab after his accident on Rhodes, i think it was, and how time passed so slowly. I know, i've been there. Not nice when you're recovering from a broken leg. It's easier these days with advances in medical science.

By no means was I stating some fact. At just over 9 minutes it drags on a bit personally. Anyway I very much so like Im gonna Crawl as an album closer compared to Tea For One. You know when you think about it its very easy to compare Presence and ITTOD. Both have 7 tracks. Both have a lengthy Zep Epic. and Both end off with a slow blues tune.

Edited by ThelegendaryZepp