2011 Major League Baseball Thread

silvermedalist

Well I just read that the Baltimore Orioles have signed slugger Pedro Guerrero and intend to use him as DH. Things may have just gotten better for my long suffering team? They have made some other moves including the addition of Reynolds at third base. I dont know alot about the closer they signed but they certainly have the bats to score some runs.

many experts think the World Series will be between the Boston Red Sox and the Philadelphia Phillies. On paper they say the Red Sox are the best and of course the Phillies have added Cliff Lee. The American league east has long been considered the toughest division. If Baltimore can get back to the team they once were, it could be a hell of a race with the Red Sox, Yankees and Tampa. And who knows how good Toronto will be? First pitch is still a bit less than two months away but now football is officially over. The NBA and NHL are at the mid way point more or less. I dont expect much feedback on this thread yet. But Come April there should be some interest.

Well I just read that the Baltimore Orioles have signed slugger Pedro Guerrero and intend to use him as DH. Things may have just gotten better for my long suffering team? They have made some other moves including the addition of Reynolds at third base. I dont know alot about the closer they signed but they certainly have the bats to score some runs.

many experts think the World Series will be between the Boston Red Sox and the Philadelphia Phillies. On paper they say the Red Sox are the best and of course the Phillies have added Cliff Lee. The American league east has long been considered the toughest division. If Baltimore can get back to the team they once were, it could be a hell of a race with the Red Sox, Yankees and Tampa. And who knows how good Toronto will be? First pitch is still a bit less than two months away but now football is officially over. The NBA and NHL are at the mid way point more or less. I dont expect much feedback on this thread yet. But Come April there should be some interest.

I think Pedro Guerrero had his last good year around 1986. Not sure if he can still do it, but maybe this will be his year. It is the Orioles after all, they may know something that the rest of baseball missed.

Vladimir Guerrero. Pedro retired in the last century :)

Got tickets for 3 games in Florida in March. And dinner reservations at Bern's!! Can't wait!!!

Man what I would do to see one game at Camden. Lucky you. I am an Orioles fan since the late sixties too. I hope we can shock everyone this year.

Of course now they'll probably trade all the good players away.

dry.gif

My heart just bleeds for you. You just won the fucking series. my last? 1983. When I called into the nightly radio talk sports show here last night, the local sportts guru who is a real baseball fan and buys the baseball channel, says he will tune into the Orioles alot. Says they will score alot of runs and be fun to watch. Does not think they can win, ie, make the playoffs because of being in the tough division and pitching. I dont know how good the reliever is they just picked up but they have alot of firepower. Now Guerrero. They are loaded from top to bottom. I am just hoping the pitching staff surprises. If that can happen, anything can happen.

Well, as a long time suffering Chicago Cubs fan, I have to watch the season play out and let whatever happens to the Cubs happen. Usually that leads to heartbreak and disaster but I am used to it. Go Cubs! <_<

Come on over to the South side!

Reports are that they may as well play the Series right now and it will be the Phillies and the Red Sox. Most are saying the Red Sox have the best team and the Phillies the best four man starting rotation since maybe the Orioles four twenty game winnners in 1970. In case you dont know it was Palmer, McNally, Cuellar and Dobson. The current four, I know Halladay and Cliff Lee are two. Oswalt I believe is one of the other two. My local sports guy who never has much good to say about my Orioles in recent years this time has changed his tune. Says they will be fun to watch and will score a ton of runs. Now if only we can get a surprise and have the pitching deliver? Thiings can onlly get better.

• 2 weeks later...

The Tigers have some awesome depth in starters and relief, maybe the best on paper. We've also got two rookie flame throwers in the minors that are pressing to earn a spot. http://www.detnews.com/article/20110309/OPINION03/103090391/1129/sports0104/Andy-Oliver--Jacob-Turner-are-aces-in-the-hole-if-Tigers’-rotation-falters

But what the heck are we going to do with Cabrera ? :huh: This guy's got some serious issues that go way beyond just drinking. You can't threaten to blow up bars and hurt people in public. He also looks about 20 pounds overweight, and the Tiger organization is being real quiet....too quiet. http://www.detnews.com/article/20110309/SPORTS0104/103090424/1004/SPORTS/Cabrera-said-he’d-blow-up-bar--was-“almost-Tasered”-before-arrest

The Tigers have some awesome depth in starters and relief, maybe the best on paper. We've also got two rookie flame throwers in the minors that are pressing to earn a spot. http://www.detnews.c...otation-falters

But what the heck are we going to do with Cabrera ? :huh: This guy's got some serious issues that go way beyond just drinking. You can't threaten to blow up bars and hurt people in public. He also looks about 20 pounds overweight, and the Tiger organization is being real quiet....too quiet. http://www.detnews.c..."-before-arrest

Most of the writers I have checked out are picking the White Sox or Twins to win this division. No reason to think Detroit cant be in the mix. I wish my team were in a different division. But Im not convinced the Yankees are going to have a typical year and be challenging the Red Sox. /The concensus is the Red Sox are the best team in baseball and Philly has the best four man rotation in twenty forty years. I am hoping that the Orioles get any kind of pitching. They will have the bats and offense to play with anyone. They may score more runs than any team in baseball. Dont be surprised. I just hope that the pitching surprises and somehow they can be in the wild card race. But Im asking alot. One thing I believe, the Yankees will not be as good as their fans are used to.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont know if I can take another season of the Orioles being so damn bad. I dont see it on the offensive side. They have the bats to score alot of runs. But what the hell are they going to do with the pitching? I hope they have addressed it? EBK, if you read this, do you havef any news from down yonder? This old Orioles fan from way back, from the town of thiir former farm team the Red Wings, is just wondering if a run for a wild card is possible. they are saying Boston is the best team. We are unfortunately in the toughest division. If we were in any other division I think we coudl get better much faster. But we are where we are. If we get any kind of pitching, we have Jones, Markakis, Guerrrero, Scott, Reynolds, Weiters, and now a manager that doesnt have his head up his ass. Hoping for better days soon in Baltimore.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. I guess I have to open the season and be the first poster of the new season. My team opens tomorrow. Yes the Baltimore Orioles, and for me to admit that shows you how honest I am in the world of sports (and for that matter in all areas). I await the onslaught of attacks I have just opened myself up to. I know the Oriles will be better. /They have to be. With not so promising outlooks for Tampa and Toronto, I have seen some large sports sites picking them to flop, I have to be optomistic that we can surprise the masses and shock the world. The only way is to get some pitching. We have the hitting I believe to match anyone. Even the big bad Red Sox and Bankees. Go Orioles!! We are tied for first place! 0-0

Wow. I guess I have to open the season and be the first poster of the new season. My team opens tomorrow. Yes the Baltimore Orioles, and for me to admit that shows you how honest I am in the world of sports (and for that matter in all areas). I await the onslaught of attacks I have just opened myself up to. I know the Oriles will be better. /They have to be. With not so promising outlooks for Tampa and Toronto, I have seen some large sports sites picking them to flop, I have to be optomistic that we can surprise the masses and shock the world. The only way is to get some pitching. We have the hitting I believe to match anyone. Even the big bad Red Sox and Bankees. Go Orioles!! We are tied for first place! 0-0

Happy Opening Day!! I'm watching the Dodgers and Giants now and I'm very happy!! :)

I'm sure the O's will be better than last year. Okay, I'm not sure, but I really hope so. Can't wait for Monday and the home opener!! Kinda glad we're opening on the road this year since the weather is so nasty here today.

It's spring! Hope springs eternal!!

Go O's!!! :cheer:

"Can the Orioles be the new Rays in the American League East?

Tampa Bay won the American League East title with 96 victories in 2010, but they enter 2011 looking like a shell of their former self. The Rays lost star left fielder Carl Crawford to Boston as a free agent, 2008 American League Championship Series MVP Matt Garza to the Cubs in a trade for prospects, and their entire bullpen to a scattering of teams. Coming aboard as free agents are Manny Ramirez and Johnny Damon, i.e., two-thirds of the Red Sox outfield in 2004. If Tampa seems to have taken two steps back, the Orioles and their chirpy new manager Buck Showalter seem to have taken as many steps forward. Baltimore, which has long had the resources but not the acumen to compete in the sport’s most competitive division, added bats including Vladimir Guerrero and Mark Reynolds to a lineup that already includes Luke Scott, Adam Jones and Nick Markakis. Showalter, for his part, came out barking this spring, telling Men’s Journal that Derek Jeter ticks him off by supposedly overreacting on inside pitches and that Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein is overrated. "I'd like to see how smart Theo Epstein is with the Tampa Bay payroll," Showalter was quoted as saying. "You got Carl Crawford 'cause you paid more than anyone else, and that's what makes you smarter? That's why I like whipping their butt. It's great, knowing those guys with the $205 million payroll are saying, 'How the hell are they beating us?'" Whaddya know, the Orioles are showing signs of life. Jeffrey Maier can probably put an end to this."

From: "Ten Stories to Watch this Baseball Season" http://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2011/03/10-stories-to-watch-this-baseball-season-derek-jeter-the-giants-and-more/73118/

Well the O's are now a half game out and haven't swung a bat. Cal was on the Radio this morning. The Iron Man was hopeful for an 81 win season. I'll be hopeful to see one winning game this year. (Went to about a dozen and they lost everyone.) That's the best thing about April hope springs eternal. The last 13 years have felt like an inifinite stay in the bottom part of Dante's inferno. I'llbe happy with seeing a .500+ season with some better closing pitching.

"Can the Orioles be the new Rays in the American League East?

Tampa Bay won the American League East title with 96 victories in 2010, but they enter 2011 looking like a shell of their former self. The Rays lost star left fielder Carl Crawford to Boston as a free agent, 2008 American League Championship Series MVP Matt Garza to the Cubs in a trade for prospects, and their entire bullpen to a scattering of teams. Coming aboard as free agents are Manny Ramirez and Johnny Damon, i.e., two-thirds of the Red Sox outfield in 2004. If Tampa seems to have taken two steps back, the Orioles and their chirpy new manager Buck Showalter seem to have taken as many steps forward. Baltimore, which has long had the resources but not the acumen to compete in the sport's most competitive division, added bats including Vladimir Guerrero and Mark Reynolds to a lineup that already includes Luke Scott, Adam Jones and Nick Markakis. Showalter, for his part, came out barking this spring, telling Men's Journal that Derek Jeter ticks him off by supposedly overreacting on inside pitches and that Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein is overrated. "I'd like to see how smart Theo Epstein is with the Tampa Bay payroll," Showalter was quoted as saying. "You got Carl Crawford 'cause you paid more than anyone else, and that's what makes you smarter? That's why I like whipping their butt. It's great, knowing those guys with the $205 million payroll are saying, 'How the hell are they beating us?'" Whaddya know, the Orioles are showing signs of life. Jeffrey Maier can probably put an end to this."

From: "Ten Stories to Watch this Baseball Season" http://www.theatlant...and-more/73118/

There is no doubt in my mind they have the bats to score with anyone. Its the pitching that will make us or break us. But with this strong hitting lineup there just has to be more victories. I will gaurantee it. One of thier biggest critics here, and dont forget they were this town's parent team for many many years, Rochester NY I mean, is even saying they will be fun to watch and will score alot of runs. He still picks them for last but not by much. I will call his show tonight perhaps, my handle there is Buffalo Rick, and give him a piece of my mind.

81 wins might be a tad too hopeful. However, Cal is a classy guy and I wouldn't expect him to say anything less than he's hoping for .500. I hope for his sake they get that far, just because it gets old watching them flail around year after year after year. For a while it's funny, then it just gets really sad.

81 wins might be a tad too hopeful. However, Cal is a classy guy and I wouldn't expect him to say anything less than he's hoping for .500. I hope for his sake they get that far, just because it gets old watching them flail around year after year after year. For a while it's funny, then it just gets really sad.

Its even more sad beingn a lifelong fan and when I was growing up the best two organizations in basball hands down were the Orioles and Dodgers. Baltimore was a powerhouse in those days. The pirates too were good and that is antoher story for another day. Oakland and Cincy were also powerhouses. The Orioles went to five World Series while I was growing up. Who would have thought after 1983 it be this long and still not good. I think they will turn the corner this year. They will with their bats. I will say the 1970 team was far better than the team that won in 1983. Cal's team. He knows that. He was here playing iin Rochester before he went up to make history.

Its even more sad beingn a lifelong fan and when I was growing up the best two organizations in basball hands down were the Orioles and Dodgers. Baltimore was a powerhouse in those days. The pirates too were good and that is antoher story for another day. Oakland and Cincy were also powerhouses. The Orioles went to five World Series while I was growing up. Who would have thought after 1983 it be this long and still not good. I think they will turn the corner this year. They will with their bats. I will say the 1970 team was far better than the team that won in 1983. Cal's team. He knows that. He was here playing iin Rochester before he went up to make history.

In 71, McNally, Cuellar, Palmer, and Dobson, all won 20 games, a feat that has not been replicated.

Archived