2011 Major League Baseball Thread

silvermedalist

Seems everyone is still buzzing about the Tigers vs. Angels game on Sunday. I certainly agree that Guillen's showboating was uncalled for, but not one sports announcer mentioned that Weaver yelled at Ordonez to 'RUN' !! twice as he was trotting around the bases in the same manner he always does. Weaver's a punk just like his brother. He was just pissed because he threw one to many floaters to the Tigers, and they started sitting on them. I agree there's nothing wrong with bunting during a no hitter, but would he have done it if the events from the inning before hadn't happened ?

....and I'll say it again. It sure is fun watching a pitcher like Verlander throw a 101 mph fastball on his 120th pitch. I'd take him over anybody right now. I think it's going to be an interesting Fall in Tiger Land. :)

Yeah, there was plenty of blame to go around. Weaver was a punk for yelling at Ordonez first of all. First he thought Magglio stood too long at the plate watching the home run, but Magglio was simply making sure it stayed fair. You have to look at the history of the player...Magglio has been in the league 14 years and doesn't have the reputation as a show-boater, so to make that assumption was a stretch. Then to yell at him as he rounded the bases was ridiculous. So when Guillen got up there, he basically said by his actions "you want to disrespect my teammate? How's THIS for disrespect?" He took it too far for sure, but I get why he was mad.

Ultimately I think it all cost Verlander the no-hitter because the inning went on too long and slowed his rhythm and all the antics probably distracted him. But I agree, I'll take him over anyone in baseball right now, he's just dominant.

While they may win the AL Central, I don't think they have the pitching to go very far. After Verlander, it's all question marks in the rotation. Scherzer is pretty good, but his ERA is high. You don't know what you're getting with Porcello or Penny on any given day. Maybe Fister, the new guy, will solidify things a bit, we'll see.

Yeah, there was plenty of blame to go around. Weaver was a punk for yelling at Ordonez first of all. First he thought Magglio stood too long at the plate watching the home run, but Magglio was simply making sure it stayed fair. You have to look at the history of the player...Magglio has been in the league 14 years and doesn't have the reputation as a show-boater, so to make that assumption was a stretch. Then to yell at him as he rounded the bases was ridiculous. So when Guillen got up there, he basically said by his actions "you want to disrespect my teammate? How's THIS for disrespect?" He took it too far for sure, but I get why he was mad.

Ultimately I think it all cost Verlander the no-hitter because the inning went on too long and slowed his rhythm and all the antics probably distracted him. But I agree, I'll take him over anyone in baseball right now, he's just dominant.

While they may win the AL Central, I don't think they have the pitching to go very far. After Verlander, it's all question marks in the rotation. Scherzer is pretty good, but his ERA is high. You don't know what you're getting with Porcello or Penny on any given day. Maybe Fister, the new guy, will solidify things a bit, we'll see.

I see this year's playoff picture being wide open. It's all about pitching, and I don't see the Yanks or Boston being that strong in that department. Of course it remains to be seen if we can avoid our customary September swoon. :blink:

A month ago I would have laughed if someone would have suggested that Carlos Guillen was going to help us out, but damn, he actually looks healthy. I used to hold my breath every time he rounded second base because it looked like his knee was going fly out into centerfield. Being able to stick him in at 6th or 7th in the lineup is really going to give our offense a lift.

I've questioned the Yankees pitching all season but it seems to be holding up. CC has had a monster of a season so far and both Freddie Garcia and Bartolo Colon haven't fallen off the face of the earth yet. Hell even AJ Burnett hasn't been a total bum. Their bullpen has been solid regardless of injuries they've had. I'm very surprised really.

Early in the season it looked like cleveland was the team to beat in that division. Must give Detroit credit for what they have done so far. I would love to see them beat the Yankees or Boston. As I am sick of them both. But I just cant see it. Texas maybe. It seems you have been away from the board for a while? i still wish you would change that avatar.

I've questioned the Yankees pitching all season but it seems to be holding up. CC has had a monster of a season so far and both Freddie Garcia and Bartolo Colon haven't fallen off the face of the earth yet. Hell even AJ Burnett hasn't been a total bum. Their bullpen has been solid regardless of injuries they've had. I'm very surprised really.

I feel the same way. Once they didn't make the expected free agent signings during the off season, I thought they were dead in the water. They still might end up that way, but the BoSox should have run away with the AL East this year.

I feel the same way. Once they didn't make the expected free agent signings during the off season, I thought they were dead in the water. They still might end up that way, but the BoSox should have run away with the AL East this year.

Ok Walter. I give up. Who is your favorite baseball team?

Yankees, see I do have some sense of home team allegiance! :)

Been a fan since '76 when Chambliss hit the homerun to beat the Royals for the pennant on 11alive, WPIX! Plus the Syracuse Chiefs were their AAA team back then.

Peace, Silver. Now go back to watching your soaps! ;)

Yankees, see I do have some sense of home team allegiance! :)

Been a fan since '76 when Chambliss hit the homerun to beat the Royals for the pennant on 11alive, WPIX! Plus the Syracuse Chiefs were their AAA team back then.

Peace, Silver. Now go back to watching your soaps! ;)

I should have known Sir Walter. You are another Bankees fan. The state is infested with them. The best team money can buy. Kind of like Dallas. You absolutely have to be a far right winger. Im sure the Lakers are your basket ball team? Hockey, I doubt you are a fan. Buf iff you are my guess would be the rangers. Now go back to reading the Wall Street Journal!!

I should have known Sir Walter. You are another Bankees fan. The state is infested with them. The best team money can buy. Kind of like Dallas. You absolutely have to be a far right winger. Im sure the Lakers are your basket ball team? Hockey, I doubt you are a fan. Buf iff you are my guess would be the rangers. Now go back to reading the Wall Street Journal!!

Silver, stop thinking in such generalizations! :P

Basketball, don't really care for the NBA. I follow the teams that 'cuse players play for. I used to love the 76'ers back in the 80's with Dr. J, etc.

Hockey, don't really follow it. Watched the Islanders a lot as a kid. My wife's family are HUGE St. Louis Blues fans.

Politics, shouldn't really go there but I have been an Independent since registering to vote when I was 18. Vote both ways, for whom I think the best candidate is. I really don't have much in common with the current state of the GOP, they are too far right currently, IMO. But, the Dems have no backbone so it is hard to be associated with them either.

BTW, I don't read the Wall Street Journal.

Back to baseball, A-Roid is being investigated for illegal card games? For the NBA players that is just another pre-game or in-flight ritual. I don't see why that is being investigated. Kinda like Congress investigating steroids in baseball. :wtf:

Silver, stop thinking in such generalizations! :P

Basketball, don't really care for the NBA. I follow the teams that 'cuse players play for. I used to love the 76'ers back in the 80's with Dr. J, etc.

Hockey, don't really follow it. Watched the Islanders a lot as a kid. My wife's family are HUGE St. Louis Blues fans.

Politics, shouldn't really go there but I have been an Independent since registering to vote when I was 18. Vote both ways, for whom I think the best candidate is. I really don't have much in common with the current state of the GOP, they are too far right currently, IMO. But, the Dems have no backbone so it is hard to be associated with them either.

BTW, I don't read the Wall Street Journal.

Back to baseball, A-Roid is being investigated for illegal card games? For the NBA players that is just another pre-game or in-flight ritual. I don't see why that is being investigated. Kinda like Congress investigating steroids in baseball. :wtf:

I follow hockey religously. I expect big things for my team this year and also in the West I have already posted many times on forums and in the Buffalo News and Sabres site, the St Louis Blues are my pick to be the big surprise team this year. I am picking them to make the playoffs and even make a deep run. Perhaps a final showdown in the West vs Vancouver. I think the Blues have a real good team. Watch out. Tell the family they can expect this team to be very good

Early in the season it looked like cleveland was the team to beat in that division. Must give Detroit credit for what they have done so far. I would love to see them beat the Yankees or Boston. As I am sick of them both. But I just cant see it. Texas maybe. It seems you have been away from the board for a while? i still wish you would change that avatar.

Alright, I changed the avatar, better? <_<

Yes, I stayed away for quite a while, too much drama here. I decided to ease back into it because I do like to discuss Zeppelin!

Nice job, Yankees! 3-2 win @ Fenway and taking over 1st place in the AL East. Mariano Rivera remains a 9th inning freak! That guy has got to be the best closer in baseball history and a 1st ballot hall of famer!

Archived