What Happened to Music?

Kathryn

I fear its hopeless Electrophile...this guy obviously has a mental block when it comes to this topic; perhaps his mother tortured him with endless plays of "YMCA" when driving him to-and-from school when he was a wee lad.

No you don't. You never have any valid reasons...just incorrect assumptions and gibberish. Apparently you just throw the words "crappy", "wimpy", "spineless", "rubbish", "disco sucks", "shitty", "ruddy", "YMCA", and "lame" in some random phrase generator and repeat ad nauseum.

I don't have the time nor the space to go into detail the false assertions you keep making...the post would run pages and pages long and I don't think Sam Webmaster would appreciate me taking up so much bandwidth on such a trifling matter as this.

But let's just take one of your more inane points: that disco was tied to the anti-rock conservative values crowd.

In a word: POPPYCOCK!

Disco was, for one thing, a public music. It was mostly intended to be heard in dance clubs for people to dance to...it was never meant to be analysed whilst listening to it closely on headphones at home. It wasn't anti-rock, or anti-anything...it was just another form of expression, a type of music to coexist with all the other forms of music around at that time, be it rock 'n' roll, top 40 pop, folk, soft rock, soul, R & B, whatever. Disco didn't replace rock...rock was still plentiful during the disco era...nor was it trying to do so.

And as for your assertion that disco was a result of some conservative movement afoot in the country to wipe out rock? That is very funny, considering that the early creators and adherents of disco were mostly from the decidedly non-conservative gay/lesbian and ethnic communities of the big cities.

To this day, I still like some disco from the 70's: Donna Summer, KC & the Sunshine Band, Chic, Kool & the Gang...and Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive" is a powerful feminist statement of survival. In fact, I would rather listen to any of the above than to the bland offerings of Journey and Foreigner and their late-70's corporate-rock brethren.

But don't worry spidersandsnakes...this is the last "invasive post" I will submit to this thread, for trying to follow your logic is like being trapped on a Möbius strip.

Some peeps have gotta go back to School of Rock......they've been contaminated by the "disco" virus!!!!:):):)

^^ THIS ^^

KC and the Sunshine Band was awesome.

Get Down Tonight, Boogie Man, That's The Way I Like It, Shake Your Booty = pure awesomeness.

I still love hearing those songs.

Donna Summer Love To Love Ya, Baby = pure sex.

Kool & the Gang Jungle Boogie, Hollywood Swingin' = pure funkiness.

And to add some more funk of my own...

Ohio Players Fire, Love Rollercoaster, Fopp, Skin Tight = funkgasm.

And while I do agree with the corporate-rock comment, I did like Journey's Infinity and the first 2 Foreigner albums.

Double Vision was very appropriate for my life at the time it came out.

notagaina.jpg

By blackglove at 2011-03-21

There are many spammers here......they had better give:):):):)!!!!!

The people you keep fighting on these forums with your nonsense have been contributing interesting and useful posts for years before you even joined. I hope they continue doing so. You would do well to start learning from them.

The people you keep fighting on these forums with your nonsense have been contributing interesting and useful posts for years before you even joined. I hope they continue doing so. You would do well to start learning from them.

What the hell are you on about.....I'm here too to get along with everyone's opinions....can't say the same fior the others you quoted....some maybe...only a handful of down-to-earth posters.....me fighting? Who the hell is fighting? NOT me....go back and review the threads and posts...I didn't start the fire, man:)):)

whatmeworry715605.jpg

By blackglove at 2011-03-22

My prime dancing years were the mid to late 80s. I can't dance to Zeppelin, but I could dance to this:

What an awesome tune.

I think people forget what a big deal this song was.

This song is firmly established in our culture all the way up to the present.

Variations of this phrase are still widely in use.

I wonder if some of the "elite - get -togetheR" posters here get what THIS poster means???!!! YOU pro disco crAp supporters make ME LAUGH...and you maKe my GF laugh so much too:):), HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH:):)

1544131_7cc4.jpg

Seriously, what the fuck do you even mean?

"elite - get -togetheR" posters

Do your random capitalizations have a specific meaning? Or is it (and somehow this seems more likely) simply the result of your furious pounding at the keyboard to dispatch more of your knot-headed bloviations?

What a gem indeed!

If you don't mind me saying, it has a bit of an ABBA meets reggae sound to it. No disrespect meant to this group/singer, ABBA or reggae cause I like em all!

I just heard the band "People in Planes" for the first time today. "Better Than Life" was the tune. A fine example of today's music, wasn't bad at all. So you like stuff from 10, 20, 30 years ago, that's fine, so do I. That is where 80% of the music on my iPod comes from. Hey, weren't The Cars considered disco? I still like them.

For me bands like Led Zeppelin and their music genres have the staying power that other genres don't have. I liked disco in it's day, not enough to buy the music, but enough to appreciate the talent that existed in those bands. I'm not sad that it didn't last though.

Oh my gosh! I feel the same way too! :D I'm a huge ABBA fan and I am proud of it! I too did get the impression that, that song has an ABBA meets reggae, sort of vibe! Afterall, it is a Zulu mix, which makes the song even cooler than the original. When I was 10, I heard this for the very first time and my world was literally turned upside down, in a very very good way! :D I have been a fan of Hazell Dean (the lady who sang the song I posted) for 13 years now! She'll always be one of my favourite divas! B) Somehow, my folks (especially my dad) have never got into disco music but I'm glad to say that I'm different! ;)

And this is my favourite tune by ABBA :

Enjoy! B)

I have to say I was a fan of FM rock, though I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that. When I think of the music I heard on FM rock n' roll stations in the 70s, it is the very foundation upon which my love of music is based. At the time I wasn't necessarily into the singer-songwriters but as the years have passed I have a much deeper appreciation for James Taylor, Joni Mitchell, Jackson Browne, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, CSN & Y, etc. I have an even greater respect for them after watching that new documentary about the Troubadour in Hollywood. In fact, many of my favorite performers are singer-songwriters whether they be Townes Van Zandt or Ryan Adams.

I don't know but what I connect FM rock with is bands like Kansas, Survivor, Jerusalem, Nasareth etc etc.

One of my fav genres is the singer/songwriter category, but that doesn't stop it from have loads of really bad artists, especially from the 70's as it was so popular back then. I wouldn't name any of the artists you mentioned as lame and boring.

Music has obviously deteriorated over the last thirty years.This change first affected Pop music with M.Jackson, Prince who invented minimalism and the dirty modern sound.

Today,there are talented musicians, but they don't use their talent accurately.A lot of you pointed out the fact that great bands still exist, it might be true, but in the 70's and even in the 80's, you didn't have difficulty in identifying the artists who really stood out from the crowd.If there was a new Bob Dylan,a new John Lennon, a new band like Queen or Led Zeppelin, I think I'd have heard about them.

Moreover, music has beacome less melodic, too repetitive, and above all less inventive: when it comes to taking risks , they all chicken out.Albums such as A night at the opera , abbey road,Physical Graffiti, or Goodbye yellow brick road belong to the past.

Music has obviously deteriorated over the last thirty years.This change first affected Pop music with M.Jackson, Prince who invented minimalism and the dirty modern sound.

Indeed, Jacko was much better with the Jackson 5, later he DETERIORATED a lot in the late 70s and 80s with his sterile form of music......I'm glad someone noticed, JACKO KING OF POP MY ASS:):):)!!!!

What an awesome tune.

I think people forget what a big deal this song was.

This song is firmly established in our culture all the way up to the present.

Variations of this phrase are still widely in use.

:) It was fun to dance to although his outfit looks pretty ridiculous :lol:

I don't see it as being all that different from today's hip hop, but my kids think it's terrible.

Indeed, Jacko was much better with the Jackson 5, later he DETERIORATED a lot in the late 70s and 80s with his sterile form of music......I'm glad someone noticed, JACKO KING OF POP MY ASS:):):)!!!!

You are absolutely right,I've always thought that MJ and others in the same style killed the "real" pop music that existed before.According to me, the collaboration between Elton John and Bernie Taupin, especially from 1970 to 1978 shows pop music at its very best.

If there's one thing I totally love, it's the dirty modern sound. Minimalism, too, rather than some of those bloated extravaganzas of the 70s. (As opposed to the good stuff of the 70s.)

I don't know but what I connect FM rock with is bands like Kansas, Survivor, Jerusalem, Nasareth etc etc.

Never heard of Jerusalem but I get what you're saying. At one point it seemed like rock n' roll got very generic (at least judging by what was getting on the radio) but I still found something to like in Styx, Kansas, Boston, Foreigner, etc. even though none of them were ever in any danger of becoming my favorite band. They came along at a point when rock n' roll had become "faceless" and a whole lot of what got on the radio sounded more like a corporate decision.

One of my fav genres is the singer/songwriter category, but that doesn't stop it from have loads of really bad artists, especially from the 70's as it was so popular back then. I wouldn't name any of the artists you mentioned as lame and boring.

Oftentimes, James Taylor is credited with helping give rise to the singer-songwriter movement of the early to mid-70s so I wasn't sure if you were including him in that or not. I was pretty young back then so during that time I was much more into Skynyrd, Sabbath, Zeppelin and the like but I had some friends that definitely more into the mellow sounds of Taylor, Jim Croce, CSN & Y, Joni, etc. Probably the closest I came to being into a singer-writer during that era was Dylan but it would be years later before I fully appreciated any of them. For me, it took getting into Steve Goodman, Jimmy Buffett, Jerry Jeff Walker and John Prine first but that was mainly via the "Outlaw" country movement and Jimmy Buffett himself because he tended to cover several of them.

So now Michael Jackson and Prince are to blame and it's supposedly because of their "minimalism" and "the dirty modern sound" (I'm not even sure what's meant by that)?. I'm not a fan of either artist but I'm not even know where to begin but I'll try. How about actually making an effort to seek out the music you like and don't concentrate so much on what you don't like? You'd be absolutely amazed at the results.

Today,there are talented musicians, but they don't use their talent accurately.

Just when I thought I'd heard it all. Now you're saying today's musicians don't know how to use their talent accurately? Exactly how are they supposed to use it? I can't wait to hear this one.

A lot of you pointed out the fact that great bands still exist, it might be true, but in the 70's and even in the 80's, you didn't have difficulty in identifying the artists who really stood out from the crowd.If there was a new Bob Dylan,a new John Lennon, a new band like Queen or Led Zeppelin, I think I'd have heard about them.

First of all you have to wake up realize this is the year 2011 and recognize just how much the musical landscape has changed. Formats and genres of music are so splintered it would be extremely difficult for one artist to rise to stardom out of any of them. It sounds as though you're relying on the media to point your new favorite artists out to you. Instead of taking that approach, I suggest becoming pro-active by making the effort on your own to seek out new music. In 2011 you have more avenues than ever before to discover music that moves you, an option none of us had in decades previous. That's something excites me so I use it to my advantage. More than not, I find more new music on a daily basis that I like than ever before. Only thing is, I can't afford it all. That's where things like NPR's First Listen series come into play. I may not be able to own it (at least not right away) but at least I have the option of listening to it.

Moreover, music has beacome less melodic, too repetitive, and above all less inventive: when it comes to taking risks , they all chicken out.Albums such as A night at the opera , abbey road,Physical Graffiti, or Goodbye yellow brick road belong to the past.

I don't buy into any of that, especially as an avid rock n' roll fan. Rock n' roll by it's very nature has always fit into those very categories (except the less inventive one). If you think music has become less inventive, then you obviously having been paying attention. It sounds more like you want a repeat of the past because that's what you find comfortable.

Archived